Population and WvW

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Noroz.9527

Noroz.9527

Dear ArenaNet.

This is about population issues.

Due to the recent “free transfer to medium sized servers” ‘thing’ that happened, there was an obvious shift in balance for WvW (at least for my tier). This is coming from the side of a server that didn’t receive any transfer.

We are a very high-population server, but only a small fraction of us participate in WvW on a regular basis. The match-up in Tier 7 was relatively balanced, but due recent events, has lost its balance.

Some may say that population is not all that matters in WvW, and you would be right. But it sure as hell matters a lot.

If a medium server receives two WvW guilds with 50 members, it has a significant impact on the balance. It seems somewhat unfair to the servers left out of this, as server population has extremely little to do with WvW performance.

Also, the addition of points to the T8 servers is a bad way of fixing the imbalance. Once again, due to WvW population participation, the server that recently jumped up to T7 is absolutely destroying the two other servers.

There was an outcry against this earlier, but I honestly think what is needed is what was suggested/planned after the free-transfer ended;

A complete wipe of all points.

This will fix all imbalance, in a matter of weeks, rather than having to deal with this issue of servers being stuck with certain servers that are completely different in population.

My two cents. I am certain many will agree.
~ Noroz Vi Britannia

Commander Noroz Vi Britannia
Northern Shiverpeaks
[AS] Artificial Strife

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: gavotte.6750

gavotte.6750

I second this.

It’s frustrating to be on a server who just doesn’t have the WVW presence to turn the “multiple zergs” back. My server was also affected by the recent free transfers and it really has put things askew. We cannot possibly match the 2 newly bolstered servers that we are now against.

That free server transfer was not the way to “balance” wvw. The only reason TO transfer is for WVW. Those servers who were open to transfers essentially doubled their WVW presence. Nice “balancing”.

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Spets the MilkBandit.9031

Spets the MilkBandit.9031

Agreed. Let me start off witha disclaimer, i am happy for HoD/SF for their transfers, good on them.

But i do agree that it should be WvW population based not PvE population based.
I see all the pretty pictures of the competing servers and their golem armies… i dont even have enough drivers to man 10 golems!

Smitry / Spets
Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] Commander
Northern Shiverpeaks

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Danielle.3152

Danielle.3152

Yes, the greatest reason for transfering is WvW due to queues, and yet population is measured globally across all the aspects. So the free transfers according to global population screw with wvw rather than help it. For instance in EU t1 Seafarer’s Rest was medium population despite having the longest wvw queues of all the 3 servers in prime time, where Vizunah Square and Desolation were both very high on population and yet had shorther queues.

[Scnd] Daniellita,
Blast!

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: obastable.5231

obastable.5231

100% agree.

it’s time for a rating reset, and this time do it without warning. give everyone equal footing and no time to scheme their performance and skew their position.

Hello Kitty Krewe
“Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare!”

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

It should be 100% random each week, my world got stuck fighting the same 2 worlds for 5 straight weeks, the other 2 where playing in such a way that 1 would win 1 week, and lose the 2nd, so they could hold rank, only this week did 1 of them finally change, I understand that with 100% random worlds matching each week, it could make it that 1 week you get completely destroyed and another you destroy everything, but fighting the same 200 man zerg for 5 weeks gets boring real dam fast.

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

Or perhaps diminishing returns or higher taxes on ratings the further your server gets from 1500 rating.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Population and WvW

in WvW

Noroz.9527

Dear ArenaNet.

Due to the recent “free transfer to medium sized servers” ‘thing’ that happened, there was an obvious shift in balance for WvW (at least for my tier). This is coming from the side of a server that didn’t receive any transfer.

We are a very high-population server, but only a small fraction of us participate in WvW on a regular basis. The match-up in Tier 7 was relatively balanced, but due recent events, has lost its balance.

Some may say that population is not all that matters in WvW, and you would be right. But it sure as hell matters a lot.

If a medium server receives two WvW guilds with 50 members, it has a significant impact on the balance. It seems somewhat unfair to the servers left out of this, as server population has extremely little to do with WvW performance.

Also, the addition of points to the T8 servers is a bad way of fixing the imbalance. Once again, due to WvW population participation, the server that recently jumped up to T7 is absolutely destroying the two other servers.

There was an outcry against this earlier, but I honestly think what is needed is what was suggested/planned after the free-transfer ended;

This will fix all imbalance, in a matter of weeks, rather than having to deal with this issue of servers being stuck with certain servers that are completely different in population.

~ Noroz Vi Britannia

O stop whining and just deal with it. Yes, ArenaNet helped many servers with the free servers and also by manually pushing SF out of T8.

Guess what? It’s your fault SF ended up in T8 in the first place. You knocked them down to Tier 8 gave them several weeks to buid up their morale and numbers via a string of victories. Now they’re back in T7 and you’re crying? It’s payback time.

Please refrain from irrelevant posts.
I hope Anet reads this and realize the issue.

Northern Shiverpeaks
[AS] Artificial Strife

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

It should be 100% random each week …

Worst idea ever posted on these forums. T1 servers randomly fighting t6/7/8 servers? what a boring and pointless bloodbath that would be. You’d be lucky if you ever got a competitive match again and that would only happen if the current teams in tiers were randomly matched up again.

AR

Population and WvW

in WvW

obastable.5231

this isn’t about SF, isaac, so go be a forum warrior back in your JQ threads.

they implemented free transfers to med. pop servers and totally screwed the top tiers of euro servers, because one of their TOP servers was medium population. people didn’t transfer there go to PvE.

not only that, but there are servers in various tiers that should not be there, based on wvw population activity. the ratings has stagnated matches beyond reason and left giant rating gaps where they do not belong. free transfers has done nothing but aggravate the problem, and it has NOT worked itself out as they had planned.

Hello Kitty Krewe

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: THE Dentist.5960

THE Dentist.5960

Dear ArenaNet.

~ Noroz Vi Britannia

O stop whining and just deal with it. Yes, ArenaNet helped many servers with the free servers and also by manually pushing SF out of T8.

Guess what? It’s your fault SF ended up in T8 in the first place. You knocked them down to Tier 8 gave them several weeks to buid up their morale and numbers via a string of victories. Now they’re back in T7 and you’re crying? It’s payback time.

Please refrain from irrelevant posts.
I hope Anet reads this and realize the issue.

You really don’t know what you’re talking about. ArenaNet already considered a ratings reset months ago and they cancelled it. And you’re just complaining because Sorrow’s Furnace is pounding you in Tier 7.

Toughen up and fight back or let SF stomp over you into Tier 6. That’s all.

Quick question? Do you currently have the ability of reading comprehension? As the title suggests, this is a post about Population in WvW causing an imbalance. Get over yourself. It was a shame that you guys were stuck in Tier 8 for too long and have earned your place in a higher tier. The big question is “how many of the other servers in mid tiers are over ranked?” Tier 6-7-8 in particular. Glicko is the problem imo.

VoxL (NSP)
Doom Strykër [Warr] Doom Ryder [Ranger]
Doomku [Guard] Doom Wrack [Mez]

Population and WvW

in WvW

Catisa.6507

Glicko is the problem imo.

So whats the solution?

AR

Population and WvW

in WvW

obastable.5231

sweetheart, i think maybe you forgot that anyone can transfer for free, to any server, at any time. it aint hard. no one is stuck anywhere they really don’t want to be. i’m sorry the thought of a ratings reset upsets you so but if JQ is deserving of being where it is then it’ll stay where it is.

now do try to be a good boy and stay on topic, k?

Hello Kitty Krewe

Population and WvW

in WvW

Noroz.9527

sweetheart, i think maybe you forgot that anyone can transfer for free, to any server, at any time. it aint hard. no one is stuck anywhere they really don’t want to be. i’m sorry the thought of a ratings reset upsets you so but if JQ is deserving of being where it is then it’ll stay where it is.

now do try to be a good boy and stay on topic, k?

What are you talking about? It costs gems to transfer.

Northern Shiverpeaks
[AS] Artificial Strife

Population and WvW

in WvW

Catisa.6507

gems can be bought with gold … gold is free, just takes time.

AR

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: THE Dentist.5960

THE Dentist.5960

Glicko is the problem imo.

So whats the solution?

Honestly the simplest solution is usually the best. Three servers per tier and there is always a winner and a loser, right? Winner moves up and loser moves down. WvW isn’t very balanced anyways in quite a few tiers, but sometimes a change in scenery is what would make it a little more worth playing for. Every week there is something to fight for, to stay in the tier or try to move up. No one gets punished and their is an instant reward. Also I would switch and rotate the colors every week. 2nd place in Red, 1st in Blue, etc. simple solution but I would say its better than doing nothing. Everyone hates a stale matchup and this would lead to ever changing match ups and a feeling of never being stuck in the same tier or matchup

VoxL (NSP)
Doom Strykër [Warr] Doom Ryder [Ranger]
Doomku [Guard] Doom Wrack [Mez]

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: PrivateSpeaks.1637

PrivateSpeaks.1637

I think something you need to realize is that no server on NA had medium pop. So no free server transfers were given, SF kicking some kitten has nothing to do with the free transfers

Population and WvW

in WvW

obastable.5231

side topic:

no.

you can transfer for free if you delete your characters. at any time, to any server.

this is not new.

i do believe it carries the same 1 week limit as paid transfers, so you can’t abuse it TOO much, but nonetheless … you can transfer for free, to any server.

original topic:

i have no problems with sf getting a chance to face equally matched servers. i have a problem with ONLY them being given a chance to face equally matched servers. bumping them up was meant to be a temporary solution, but what they should have done is a ratings reset to equalize it across the board.

temporary as it would have been, it would be a better solution than kicking gom in the nuts for (apparently) shiggles .. because honestly, there’s no other reason to have dumped gom in to the same problem they pulled sf out of without first fixing the problem.

i don’t mind facing sf. they aren’t “stomping” anything or anyone any worse than hod did last week, so it really doesn’t say much about their numbers or their skill.

the current tiers become pointless when you consider that a much less populated hod also held it’s own against darkhaven – currently at the top of t6.

@speaks – hod, fc, and et were all medium population servers for a few days. briefly gom, sf, and nsp had their populations adjusted to medium so they, too received a few transfers to bump them back up out of the free bracket. all t7 & t8 servers received transfers, it’s just a matter of how many/few & whether or not you’ll see them in your time bracket.

Hello Kitty Krewe

(edited by obastable.5231)

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: airstu.2579

airstu.2579

If only Anet had done the reset as they has planned to. Instead they have managed to do stop-gap “fixes” which have only served to draw attention to their complete ignorance (or refusal to acknowledge) that server pop is not the same as WvW pop. Reset the points, let the populations level out in tiers and watch balanced wvw return. And please, no more stop gap fixes.

Calisto – NSP BPTCBP
Dictator for Life
Shiverpeaks Search and Rescue [Lost]

Population and WvW

in WvW

Noroz.9527

I sincerely hope Anet will read this and realize that this is an issue.

Northern Shiverpeaks
[AS] Artificial Strife

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Darkothe.1253

Darkothe.1253

I think something you need to realize is that no server on NA had medium pop. So no free server transfers were given, SF kicking some kitten has nothing to do with the free transfers

SF kicking “kittens” has everything to do with Anet adjusting the points in Tier 8 – and only Tier 8. If it had been an across the board adjustment, I’m certain that it would have been looked at differently. However, since it was not, evidence would suggest that the louder one whines the faster the devs respond. GG.

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

SF kicking “kittens” has everything to do with Anet adjusting the points in Tier 8 – and only Tier 8. If it had been an across the board adjustment, I’m certain that it would have been looked at differently. However, since it was not, evidence would suggest that the louder one whines the faster the devs respond. GG.

To be fair thats pretty much every MMO. Eventually official forums just turn into pages and pages of crying and yelling until the game is terrible.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Population and WvW

in WvW

Posted by: polarbearus.9610

polarbearus.9610

I agree with most of you. That free transfer to medium population fiasco only served to destroy WvWvW on many servers. No skill is required anymore except to run from opponents to a mindless horde for safety. Seafarer’s Rest is tier 1 Euro still, but now it’s hopelessly outmatched by Vizunah Square (French).
Much of the problem is due to the existence of only one french server. The other problem is SFR is now paying for the ignorance and apathy of Arenanet.
Do what most of these people have suggested and quickly reset WvW points and then things will balance themselves out again like in the beginning.
Everyone knows Anet is only in this for the profit, but if there is no one playing to buy items from item shop then they make even less money.
Off topic: NC Soft has had a pristine heritage of MMOs until they tarnished their reputation by allowing Arenanet to become involved in the project. Can’t wait for Lineage Eternal to come out so I can stop playing fecal matter from Anet.
P.S. kitten off Anet, you suck