Ranger or engineer need help

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: GhostHawks.6519

GhostHawks.6519

I am about to create a character for pvp i will be playing with others I cant decide on which one to make if u could give me some pros and cons on how they play in pvp that would be great thanx

Posted by: MagiKarp.8201

MagiKarp.8201

I am about to create a character for pvp i will be playing with others I cant decide on which one to make if u could give me some pros and cons on how they play in pvp that would be great thanx

pvp or wvw? Because you just named the 2 most useless classes for wvw :P

Magikarps Norn Ele – becuz leopard
Blackgate WvW Commander
Vanguard of Exiled Mercenaries [MERC] voem.enjin.com

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Ranger is better than engie for 1v1. But kiling engie takes a longer time than ranger.

Make a thief imo.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

GhostHawks.6519

I feel like my dreams were crushed lol i like ranged classes and wvw was what i would be playing any buffs coming in or anything soon what are the top 3 wvw classes.

(edited by GhostHawks.6519)

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Ranger is better than engie for 1v1. But kiling engie takes a longer time than ranger.

Make a thief imo.

Yeah killing rangers on my engi does take a longer time than killing a thief. Wait, did I misunderstand?

GhostHawks.6519

I prefer to play a ranged class i would be playing wvw what are top 3 classes for wvw? and are their any upcoming buffs for either class

(edited by GhostHawks.6519)

Posted by: Deet.9628

Deet.9628

Don’t listen to them. Ranger and engi are NOT useless. Engi has the best 1vX build there is (the patch may change that). Ranger the best ranged damage (for sieges or defending) if traited properly.

GhostHawks.6519

So of the two which one would be the better and in upcoming patch is either getting buffed?

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

Ranger, but that’s because that’s one of the classes I play and I don’t have an engineer. I will tell you that engineers are typically more useful in the Zerg.

However, Rangers might be getting a buff to their currently useless spirits (basically the only way we can buff allies. And even if they don’t buff these spirits, you can still plant one next to a siege engine to make it deal more damage!

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Ranger is not a bad class.
In fact, it’s amazing.
On the other hand, RANGERS are typically the bottom of the bottom. Aka “what do you mean, it’s bad to send in my bear to tank while autoattacking them with my longbow from a range? Oh, where did this thief come from? Ah, well, I’m dead now.”

At saturday, I went to WvW with a mate, who played an uplevel Mesmer. We encountered a Ranger, who proceeded to kill himself on a feedback bubble from full hp to 0 with his rapid fire. The problem is not that the ranger class is bad in any way, the problem is, the typical Ranger has the attention span of a wood log and the reaction time of a pile of dung. Autoattacking with a longbow while standing behind a bear for hours in PvE seems to do irreversible damage to your brain.

Most players see Rangers die quickly all the time and assume, it’s because the class is bad. The Ranger profession is amazing in solo play and small group action, while being mediocre for large scale stuff. The only reason, I don’t see Ranger as one of the top classes is, that Guardians and Mesmers are simply too good right now.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

(edited by naphack.9346)

GhostHawks.6519

I see many rangers coming to the defense is engineer one of the least played classses

naphack.9346

From my experience, it’s by far the least played class.
One of the reasons might be, that they are firecrackers in zerg fights. Coated bullets for pistols is amazing. it makes your exploding autoattack pierce targets and explode several times, hitting tons of targets. The spammy grenade attacks are amazing too, hitting up to 15 targets each. Then you add in retaliation on each of the targets and 3 of your low damage spammy attacks will suddenly bring your hp down to 10% while dealing up to no damage due to being designed to be spammed like crazy.
Grenade engineer is a bad playstyle either way, because it will KILL the joints of your fingers along with your #1 key. You are just button mashing to no end, hoping for the fights to end at some point, while your engineer keeps throwing and throwing and throwing… Engi as a whole is way too dependant on spamming buttons left and right for my tastes and I guess that’s why so few players play them.

(edited by naphack.9346)

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Make a thief imo.

Yeah killing rangers on my engi does take a longer time than killing a thief. Wait, did I misunderstand?

From my ele standpoint. That could also be from the fotm tanky engies i have recently seen.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

I feel like my dreams were crushed lol i like ranged classes and wvw was what i would be playing any buffs coming in or anything soon what are the top 3 wvw classes.

First I would say: Wait till 30. April and read the nerf notes of the patch.
Second, what’s the best class (fortunatly!) depends strongly on your preferred play-style and tier.

If you want to play in big blob vs blob (in higher tiers) fights Guardian and Necro are probably best. Staff-Ele, Warrior, Mesmer and short-bow Thief are very useful.

If you prefer small scale fights (in lower tiers) DD-Ele (win or run) and Thief (win or hide) are probably best, Engie and Mesmer are are good to win, but die if they fail to win.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Posted by: TallDan.6350

TallDan.6350

I play a pistol/shield and flamethrower engi and my build is amazing in all aspects of wvw. He can 1v1 well and is also amazing when in any size of group.

I also mained a ranger for a while and had great fun with that class too.

WvW has a lot of casual (not very good) players and you will find that mesmers, ele’s and thieves have the easier time because they are so good at shredding noobs but any of the classes with a good build and gear in the right hands can be awesome (I have tried them all btw).

The main reason that I’m playing engi atm is because it is a fun class to play and has a lot of versatility in it’s build and the fact that there aren’t many engi’s is an advantage because people are less experienced with fighting them.

Something that gets said a lot is; go with the class you have the most fun playing as they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Lady suzi ~ Human Guardian {} Gizmo Gregory ~ Asura Engineer
Firezof Arrows ~ Sylvari Ranger {} Hudeeni ~ Norn Mesmer
Ruins of Surmia [KoA]

Posted by: InfamousBrad.5879

InfamousBrad.5879

First, where I’m coming from: I’m a sick, weak, tired old man with the reflexes of a sedentary 50 y/o – because I am, in fact, a sedentary 50 y/o. Doesn’t matter what build I go in with, I lose way more 1v1 fights than I win. But I get lots of praise for my engineer, on WvW teams, because just about no matter what build I play (and I re-trait at least once a day, just for fun) I bring something to the team.

(What? Don’t look at me like that. All of my builds work fine with full Knights gear, so there’s no extra cost there, and retraiting costs about the same as one long-range waypoint jump, or two armor repairs. Retrait a lot. You’ll learn something.)

Grenade Spec: Grenade kit and 2 situationally chosen elixirs, plus Supply Drop. Enemy siege? What enemy siege? Seriously, it’s amazing how often people think that they’re being clever putting stuff near the edge of a wall, or up by the keep lord’s room in a tower, and how fast anybody who tries to stand on that wall to kill me goes down. And I don’t even bother using Toolkit as a backup kit so I can pull them down. Especially if Supply Drop is off cool-down so I can AoE stun people before throwing all six grenade bundles up there.

Pistol & Shield with Turrets & Static Discharge: If this is how much fun Static Discharge is, with super-fast recharging and reasonably useful toolbelt skills, I dread to think how much fun it must have been before they nerfed it. Although the upcoming Confusion nerf may make pistol & shield less fun than it was, it’s still an AoE blind on a nice short cooldown. Oh, and with one quick switch of a trait (Static Discharge out, Deployable Turrets in) I can throw turrets up onto the wall where people would have to expose themselves to incoming fire to take them down. If they ever fix the bug with Deployable Turrets, it may actually become over powered. Oh, and I can keep a lot of our own siege users up, against modest numbers of AoEs, by parking a Healing Turret just out of the edge of the AoEs, giving our cannon or arrow cart users perma regen.

Flamethrower & Elixirs: Situational, but there are two times that are so much fun they make it worth it. (1) Flame rams on the other side of the door? /whoosh/ What flame rams? (2) Enemy zerg rushing into the tunnel, or clumped up around the keep lord? Good thing I have even one guardian with me to provide stability and some healing. /whoosh/ Bag city, baby!

That being said: it helps that often I’m up against pretty stupid enemies. The kind of person who turtles up in a keep manning the siege is often the kind of person who poses no threat to anybody, no matter what their build is or no matter what my build is. I just happen to have several builds available to me that wreck those people.

But it must be said: most people would prefer that you brought a mesmer or a guardian. But if you don’t want to play a mesmer or a guardian, engineers are a lot of fun.

GhostHawks.6519

hmm seems like i should wait until tomm to decide and how are gaurdians at damage? and are ele squishy?

GhostHawks.6519

so tommorow patch notes come out

Posted by: Esqi.8496

Esqi.8496

I love my melee ranger

[TKG] Flake

Posted by: graverr.6473

graverr.6473

Make a warrior .Longbow if specced right is a beast condition or power either way(best against annoying d/d eles)CC and great AOE.You can go rifle wich is awesome too and if u get bored after a while you can spec melee and crush everything in your path. : )

Mini Somales -Seven Instincts- [siN]

(edited by graverr.6473)

Posted by: ghtchill.7613

ghtchill.7613

You’ve obviously never dedicated yourself to playing a Ranger in WvW. If you learn to play one they are anything but useless. I pretty much leveled mine on the maps, starting at mid-twenties.. The class is a challenge but quite rewarding once learned.

TC

ghtchill.7613

hmm seems like i should wait until tomm to decide and how are gaurdians at damage? and are ele squishy?

Guardians are great in WvW too. That’s my main 80. Really ALL classes have their value and fun in WvW, it all depends on how much effort you put in. But you’re trying to decide, so likely as true as that is, it’s not much help.

I saw someone suggest Warrior, I have a mid forties warrior I am running in WvW right now. She’s not nearly what an 80 warrior is in there, but also very fun. Right now she is rifle and sword/axe.

Necro also has it’s fun…and lots o loot too!

TC

GhostHawks.6519

what exactly do guardians do damage or support?

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

engi and ranger are bad in large scale open field fights.

where are the majority of players in wvw?
in a kittening zergball, fighting in a kitten field.

theyre great roamers. each can be specced to be siegekillers. just dont stick around a zerg too long or youll feel useless.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

graverr.6473

Every class in this game can do damage depending on spec,but guardians are just not as good at it in comparrison with warrior or thief for example .I personally wouldn’t roll a guardian for pure dps purpoises.

ghtchill.7613

theyre great roamers. each can be specced to be siegekillers. just dont stick around a zerg too long or youll feel useless.

This is also not true. I can’t speak for Engineers, but experienced Rangers are not bad in open field either.

TC

ghtchill.7613

Every class in this game can do damage depending on spec,but guardians are just not as good at it in comparrison with warrior or thief for example .I personally wouldn’t roll a guardian for pure dps purpoises.

True. If one is only interested in pure DPS. Can you imagine WvW with only Warriors or Thieves?

TC

graverr.6473

True. If one is only interested in pure DPS. Can you imagine WvW with only Warriors or Thieves?

I do remeber a time where WvW was only with thieves though.But i doubt it had anything to do with dps .hehe .

RIP culling.

ghtchill.7613

I do remeber a time where WvW was only with thieves though.But i doubt it had anything to do with dps .hehe .

RIP culling.

Haha agreed! But I know lots who play the more challenging builds, even when culling was king for so many.

TC

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

WvW isn’t really about soloing, although it is nice to be able to defend yourself if you need too. As far as the important aspects of WvW goes, I think that Engi and Ranger don’t bring a whole lot to the current WVW cookie cutter group that wants tons of Eles for blocking projectiles, water fields, general opness, tons of mesmers for confusion stacking, portals, ect, and tons of guardians for obvious reason.

However, with the upcoming nerfs to certain classes and changes to blocking siege projectiles, some of the classes with over inflated WvW utility are coming back down to Earth. I believe that Engi and Ranger will be more valuable because of this. For example, since you can’t just lolblock projectiles anymore, you will need to go and destroy as much of the enemy siege as possible. A grenader is very useful in destroying siege from outside of a keep.

(edited by timidobserver.7925)

insanemaniac.2456

This is also not true. I can’t speak for Engineers, but experienced Rangers are not bad in open field either.

it pretty much is true. if you want cc, roll a guardian or warrior. if you want fields, roll an ele. if you want to pwn baddies, roll mesmer. if you want to tag everything, roll necro. engi and ranger “arent bad”, but 5 other classes have builds that all excel in open field in comparison. dont roll ranger or engi if you just wanna zerg around. roll something better suited.

GhostHawks.6519

well my style of play is to pick off people from afar and if something needs to be taken down do that also i played a hunter in wow and other games range has become my nitch so hopefully this patch maybe one will shine.

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

BM Bunker Rangers can be good in 1v1 and 1vsX, however zerg fighting its not super great.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

naphack.9346

guardians are designed, so they can never have either of them exclusively. No matter, how heavy you spec into dps, you will also get tons of blinds, weakness and control abilities.
By speccing into support, you will get tons of sustainability, self heals and retaliation.
For someone who likes to do multiple things with one skill, they are nice. I use my guardian only to farm world events, cause I don’t feel like bringing her to WvW.

I like the straightforward approach, i.e. Warrior, Ranger, Thief. Skills are designed for one purpose and you use a wide array of tools, each designed for their own particular use, like a swiss army knife(ok, the warrior is some sort of cheap knock-off made in china, lacking some tools and with the rest being of mediocre quality, with only the blade itself being somewhat sharp).
I’d rather have a swiss army knife as a profession than have every single skill be a swiss army knife(guardian, ele, mesmer).

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I see many rangers coming to the defense is engineer one of the least played classses

To answer a few questions:

No statistics are available, but engineers are regarded as one of the least-played professions.

Engineers will be nerfed somewhat heavily this patch, but should still be pretty good.

Guardians are also amazing and are one of the strongest professions for large groups, small groups, and solo.

TallDan.6350

Saying egi’s are no good in large groups is rubbish. We apply conditions to groups and have you ever used a flamethrower? I run down the sides of zergs causing massive aoe damage and setting you all on fire while adding bleeds and weakness and that is just from the auto attack, engi’s also have tons of ways to make combo fields, and if I get into trouble in my forward position I can shrink and get back to safety you can’t CC me if my 3 second invulnerability isn’t enough to get me to safety and you get me down to 25% health a trait gives me another 3 seconds of invulnerability. I also have 3 different aoe group cleanse abilities on my bar and can apply that cure conditions and give boons to allies. I don’t run nades or bombs but I have seen tank bomber engi’s vids where they cause a massive amount of aoe damage, If you haven’t played a class maybe you should stop speculating about what it can or can’t do.

The reason I love engi so much is that it has such good all round abilities, it’s not stuck in a role half as much as many other classes and is amazing at tower defence, solo roaming, small groups and large zergs.

Ruins of Surmia [KoA]

naphack.9346

Saying egi’s are no good in large groups is rubbish. We apply conditions to groups and have you ever used a flamethrower? I run down the sides of zergs causing massive aoe damage and setting you all on fire while adding bleeds and weakness and that is just from the auto attack, engi’s also have tons of ways to make combo fields, and if I get into trouble in my forward position I can shrink and get back to safety you can’t CC me if my 3 second invulnerability isn’t enough to get me to safety and you get me down to 25% health a trait gives me another 3 seconds of invulnerability. I also have 3 different aoe group cleanse abilities on my bar and can apply that cure conditions and give boons to allies. I don’t run nades or bombs but I have seen tank bomber engi’s vids where they cause a massive amount of aoe damage, If you haven’t played a class maybe you should stop speculating about what it can or can’t do.

The reason I love engi so much is that it has such good all round abilities, it’s not stuck in a role half as much as many other classes and is amazing at tower defence, solo roaming, small groups and large zergs.

The reason, engi is weak in large groups is retaliation.
As soon, as the group got retal up, all those mini hits from the flame throwers, the ability to tag 15 players with a single attack, the piercing AoE from the pistol autoattacks, will come back to bite you.
Engi got almost no big hitters with huge windup(besides big ol’ bomb), it’s all in small, spammable AoE packages, which will hurt you like hell, if you are up against a full retal stack zerg.
Their strongest “big hitter” is the prybar, which is melee to boot.

insanemaniac.2456

i play engi almost exclusively

were no good in large groups. were great in small groups or solo.

Posted by: KStudios.2850

KStudios.2850

I play a ranger and thief in WvW. All in all, I like my ranger more (especially post-culling). The ranger is far more versatile overall. I think they need a bit more AoE options, as it stands Barrage is really it, but they’re great if built right and in the hands of someone who learns to use on well. I solo camps with mine with minimal effort. They’re also great for group support.

Only thing though, their escapability is rather poor, even with a passive +25% run speed utility skill. They tend to get overrun if the need to retreat arises. So pick your fights well, and you better be dedicated to finishing them, because you ain’t getting out one way or another outside of survival or in a pine box.

Yumiko Togashii
Commander to [SLVR], Housepet to [GH]

naphack.9346

I play a ranger and thief in WvW. All in all, I like my ranger more (especially post-culling). The ranger is far more versatile overall. I think they need a bit more AoE options, as it stands Barrage is really it, but they’re great if built right and in the hands of someone who learns to use on well. I solo camps with mine with minimal effort. They’re also great for group support.

Only thing though, their escapability is rather poor, even with a passive +25% run speed utility skill. They tend to get overrun if the need to retreat arises. So pick your fights well, and you better be dedicated to finishing them, because you ain’t getting out one way or another outside of survival or in a pine box.

escapability depends entirely on your build. If you got a GS or sword, escaping is not that much of a problem, if you don’t, that’s the tradeoff for having more ranged options.

TallDan.6350

As soon, as the group got retal up, all those mini hits from the flame throwers, the ability to tag 15 players with a single attack, the piercing AoE from the pistol autoattacks, will come back to bite you.
Engi got almost no big hitters with huge windup(besides big ol’ bomb), it’s all in small, spammable AoE packages, which will hurt you like hell, if you are up against a full retal stack zerg.

Firstly Engi can apply retaliation it’s one of the boons we have access to, also big hitters? you obviously don’t understand the benefits of conditions + damage, also retaliation is getting a big nerf.

My engi build is awesome in large group fights. The flamethrower damages everything in a cone you can fry large numbers of people at once, plus pop protection, retaliation regen, might. If you are no good in a zerg there must something wrong with your builds or playstyle.

I strafe down the side of zergs or flank to the back, set enough people on fire and they start to panic, meanwhile you are distracting their attention from the main group hitting them from the front. Takes a lot of your build points to go into buffing the flamethrower and you need to make your build a little tanky, but well worth the investment. In pug zergs especially you would be amazed how tunnel visioned people get, only really focusing on the front, you would be amazed how well a little flamethrower flanking can work.

Saw a youtube of a small group with an engi using nades and they kept a massive group at a choke for a long time and he kept using the prybar pull, to grab victims for his team to stomp. Try telling that guy engi’s are bad against zergs.

Ruins of Surmia [KoA]

naphack.9346

Firstly Engi can apply retaliation it’s one of the boons we have access to, also big hitters? you obviously don’t understand the benefits of conditions + damage, also retaliation is getting a big nerf.

My engi build is awesome in large group fights. The flamethrower damages everything in a cone you can fry large numbers of people at once, plus pop protection, retaliation regen, might. If you are no good in a zerg there must something wrong with your builds or playstyle.

I strafe down the side of zergs or flank to the back, set enough people on fire and they start to panic, meanwhile you are distracting their attention from the main group hitting them from the front. Takes a lot of your build points to go into buffing the flamethrower and you need to make your build a little tanky, but well worth the investment. In pug zergs especially you would be amazed how tunnel visioned people get, only really focusing on the front, you would be amazed how well a little flamethrower flanking can work.

Saw a youtube of a small group with an engi using nades and they kept a massive group at a choke for a long time and he kept using the prybar pull, to grab victims for his team to stomp. Try telling that guy engi’s are bad against zergs.

Your flame thrower ticks like 5 times a second, that’s 5 ticks of retaliation, against a single target. A Warrior would swing once with his GS to deal about the same damage minus the burning and only take one tick of retaliation. If it’s 3 or even 5, it’s up to 25 ticks of retaliation for a single attack, which deals neglectible damage on its own, as you need to spam, spam and spam it to have any result.
Read my post. Engineer got nothing but small, spammy attacks, which deliver the damage in a multitude of tiny packages. Retaliation just outright KILLS you.

And the nerf to Retaliation will be laughable.

TallDan.6350

Well I haven’t been killed by retaliation yet, and my flamethrower puts out burns, bleeds weakness as well as direct damage. If you run headlong into a zerg you will die anyway retaliation or not. My lvl 69 engi puts out 4350K damage per second before you add in any burns, bleeds weakness, might or crits. Seriously I am talking from experience not hypothetically. Also it’s important to keep an eye on yourself we have heals and evasion to use.

Ruins of Surmia [KoA]

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I used to play Ranger. It got boring and I hated all the negativity surrounding it. PLus, I felt like only 1/4-1/3 of my utilities were any good.

I now main an Engineer & I can tell you it is fulfilling, I am useful to a group, and I can dish out some serious damage, and still stay alive.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: KStudios.2850

KStudios.2850

escapability depends entirely on your build. If you got a GS or sword, escaping is not that much of a problem, if you don’t, that’s the tradeoff for having more ranged options.

True, though in my experience you can’t have a half decent damage build and yet be able to flee the scene all at once. It’s one or the other. Can’t have cake and eat it too in this case. Personally, I’d rather spec for battle and put my trust in my combat abilites than roll with a kooky build that will only help me run away 2/3 of the time.

I used to play Ranger. It got boring and I hated all the negativity surrounding it. PLus, I felt like only 1/4-1/3 of my utilities were any good.

What negativity? Ranger is my main, and I’m a part time Commander. I’ve never heard a word on the subject outside of these forums. I do agree our skills need some serious work though.

Yumiko Togashii
Commander to [SLVR], Housepet to [GH]

(edited by KStudios.2850)

GhostHawks.6519

With the patch notes today did ranger get a buff and did they nerf engi

Posted by: PWNcakesAndROFLs.8263

PWNcakesAndROFLs.8263

Engis weren’t hit too hard, got two nice buffs; one being the heal skill Healing Turret, which now is a lot more team-friendly.

Rangers seem to have the most buffs the patch, whether they are effective or not, I’m not sure, since I don’t play one.

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

I have both an Engie and Ranger that are 80 and I’ve WvW’d a lot with both. Engineer is a fun class, but you’ve got to do far more keybind management than you do a ranger.

I would normally say go Engineer, because it’s by far the most fun I’ve had in the game. I love the constant kit swaps and management. But I can’t really say that now. I’m very skeptical about the Engineer in the long run. I can’t help think of when you’re skateboarding, and you get too much speed and the “wobble” starts… and it slowly gets worse and worse until you have to bail. I feel like the Engineer class is wobbling.

Rangers are fun and certainly capable of holding their own vs any class. They have more build options that are actually effective compared to the engineer. The engineer has a ton of options, but most are relatively weak. The good builds will generally require much more keybind management and timing than most other classes.

PS Advice – If you’re going WvW with an Engineer, don’t even bother with a build that involves the flamethrower. Just don’t.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

(edited by BrimstoneAshe.5043)

GhostHawks.6519

so from the consensus it seems maybe ranger or warrior

GhostHawks.6519