Remove The Breakout Events

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaminari.4018

Kaminari.4018

This is probably the worst event in wvw that hurts a borderland the most. Why is there even a breakout event. A npc shouldn’t be able to drop siege and protect it with a bubble. This is totally unfair, if a server lacks the numbers to do wvw on a borderland then thats their problem. This is wvw skill and tactics over a npc holding hands with a server. This is unfair. We spent 4 hours trying to upgrade everything and a breakout event can counter that in 15min? If its our borderlands we have the right to defend it. But we cant defend it if the npc can block their siege.

Commander of Procrastination Nation [UhOh]
Miss Terribad
Dragonbrand

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

I just want to share a quick story to help highlight why this NPC contributes nothing and is unnecessary.

Yesterday myself and 6 other pugs were alone in an enemy borderland. We did not have 10 people to start the event, so we just went to the nearest tower and dropped a single superior flame ram. The six of us were able to successfully claim the non-upgraded and undefended tower in about 8 minutes. As no players showed up and as the enemy never showed up to check on us, we took the tower with minimal effort.

I understand that this is anecdotal. However it highlights a mentality/attitude that’s started to develop specifically because of this event. Players don’t want to upgrade the south towers because their investment gets blown away by a magical charr. There’s nothing for the defending team to invest in, more or less, because it isn’t user error that strips such investment away.

Because people have been ignoring upgrades on these towers it’s gotten to the point where a tiny group with a single superior ram can take them. If nothing else, that’s a huge problem in and of itself.

Breakout events remove the incentive to fortify and defend towers. That hurts the overall gameplay more than being outmanned does.

Edit:
Basically, and in most cases, the breakout events have just caused each borderland to have three colors instead of one. The points really don’t change. All this does is shuffle things around a bit.

“Hey they just took Bluelake, what should we do?”
“Go retake it, and send 10 people over to the blue borderland to take Redbriar with the commander. That’ll show them.”

/shrug

Kind of useless and annoying if you ask me.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Kerithlan.1659)

in Suggestions

Posted by: LittleMissEvil.9416

LittleMissEvil.9416

No.
They are a great thing.

Sure its annoying when we are on the winning side, because it takes upgraded towers quickly and you can’t paint a borderland in just one color and rule it…
But for the losing server, that lost everything on the map its a great thing. When you are playing against a really big/strong server and have no chance of taking a single tower back because you are outmanned as hell the event is a needed help to get at least some points and a little bit of fun back.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhyis.7058

Rhyis.7058

No.
They are a great thing.

Sure its annoying when we are on the winning side, because it takes upgraded towers quickly and you can’t paint a borderland in just one color and rule it…
But for the losing server, that lost everything on the map its a great thing. When you are playing against a really big/strong server and have no chance of taking a single tower back because you are outmanned as hell the event is a needed help to get at least some points and a little bit of fun back.

This would be fine if the breakout events only happened inside your own home borderland and eternal borderlands, but that isn’t how it is.

A server with a 300k point lead can breakout into the losing servers borderlands, making it even more difficult for the losing server to defend it’s own borderland.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Breakout events can be beaten, you just have to be there with sufficient numbers, just like any defensive situation in this game. Unfortunately, most people in this game don’t like to play defense.

As for the claiming and upgrading of these southern points? Well, yeah. There never has been a reward for owning and upgrading a fort and now there is even less reason to do so.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raincrow.1840

Raincrow.1840

A server with a 300k point lead can breakout into the losing servers borderlands, making it even more difficult for the losing server to defend it’s own borderland.

That’s a good point.

Crystal Desert; The Viking Server
When are people going to figure out there’s a war going on?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morningstar.6208

Morningstar.6208

Breakout events can be beaten, you just have to be there with sufficient numbers, just like any defensive situation in this game. Unfortunately, most people in this game don’t like to play defense.

As for the claiming and upgrading of these southern points? Well, yeah. There never has been a reward for owning and upgrading a fort and now there is even less reason to do so.

Why would I waste my man power defending against breakout event I would just recap it. I killed the NPC commander many times because we were dominating %100 of the map and it is for sure over powered in normal conditions I would never send my people to defend a tower where the event is, I would just place siege ready to recap it instead.

I don’t want to see any kind of NPC in WvW specially magical immune siege popping ones.

Commander Sir Morningstar of Devona’s Rest, Army of Devona [AoD] Guild Leader
http://www.ArmyofDevona.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mK7xYguWCk

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hackuuna.4085

Hackuuna.4085

No.
They are a great thing.

This would be fine if the breakout events only happened inside your own home borderland and eternal borderlands, but that isn’t how it is.

Why does the meta insist that you hold your entire borderland? When there used to be orbs on the map people would flock to other borderlands constantly trying to get a foothold and an orb. South west tower is probably the only tower that poses much of any danger to a map and even then the danger stops at west keep, which can be retaken by the defenders easily with garrison trebs.

I don’t really see how this hurts a losing team. In the old system the opponents initial towers would be fully fortified, fully supplied, fully sieged, and would discourage attacking with anything less than a large force assuming there was at least one eye out for ninja squads. A large force there means a large force not at your home borderland, which means the dominating server would outnumber you anyway on your home and start taking things.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

No.
They are a great thing.

Why does the meta insist that you hold your entire borderland? When there used to be orbs on the map people would flock to other borderlands constantly trying to get a foothold and an orb. South west tower is probably the only tower that poses much of any danger to a map and even then the danger stops at west keep, which can be retaken by the defenders easily with garrison trebs.

I don’t really see how this hurts a losing team. In the old system the opponents initial towers would be fully fortified, fully supplied, fully sieged, and would discourage attacking with anything less than a large force assuming there was at least one eye out for ninja squads. A large force there means a large force not at your home borderland, which means the dominating server would outnumber you anyway on your home and start taking things.

The meta doesn’t insist that you hold your entire borderland. The meta insists that you earn points, and you do that by holding keeps, towers, and camps. It’s easiest to rally pugs in Lion’s Arch to your own borderland than it is to get them motivated to invade somewhere else.

Holding your own borderland is a solid 145 ppt and is easier to do than holding an enemy borderland is. The breakout event shuffling colors around doesn’t do anything but permanently weaken the south towers. Players don’t want to invest into them. That is horrible and detrimental, and serves to damage W3 more than being outmanned does.

If you’re outmanned then you can at least capture camps to build siege and blitz something. You only need about 10 people to successfully ninja a weakened or non-upgraded tower. Nothing about this event is necessary or good. It’s an unwanted patch over a hole that never existed.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in Suggestions

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

Why would I waste my man power defending against breakout event I would just recap it. I killed the NPC commander many times because we were dominating %100 of the map and it is for sure over powered in normal conditions I would never send my people to defend a tower where the event is, I would just place siege ready to recap it instead.

I don’t want to see any kind of NPC in WvW specially magical immune siege popping ones.

thats typical DR crap commander tactics for you. don’t defend, just recap.

AR

in Suggestions

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Personally, I just think there should be a minimum timer on it. Having the Breakout Event pop 3 times in an hour on the same tower is silly.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Suggestions

Posted by: Toast.6459

Toast.6459

It’s a 2 minute shield, if you can’t destroy the siege after that, thats your problem.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aervius.2016

Aervius.2016

-Signed.
Camped realms should stay camped, not have their NPC’s fight the WvW War for them. All this bleeding-heart bullkitten about “We can feel like winners, even if we’re losing.” should stay in the world of Self-Help Coaches and Drug Addiction Centers.

The Break-Out Event, to me, is rather similar to these hypotheticals:
-Referees in the NFL will give a “Break Out” Touchdown to a team that is down 30 points.
-Judges at the Olympics will now be giving a “Grace Score” for how gracefully a gymnast recovers from a horrific and body twisting loss of balance.
-The U.S. Army will now be issuing standing orders that for every 20 Hostiles killed by drones strikes, 5 American Soldiers will be put on a 72-Hour “No Movement” status, preventing their involvement in further military operations for the duration of the Order.

WvW is a three-way war.
If your server can’t compete, you don’t belong in the tier you’re in.
Server Xfer’s are free, after all.

Kolt – Human Thief
[NEX]
#swaguuma

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

-Signed.
Camped realms should stay camped, not have their NPC’s fight the WvW War for them. All this bleeding-heart bullkitten about “We can feel like winners, even if we’re losing.” should stay in the world of Self-Help Coaches and Drug Addiction Centers.

The Break-Out Event, to me, is rather similar to these hypotheticals:
-Referees in the NFL will give a “Break Out” Touchdown to a team that is down 30 points.
-Judges at the Olympics will now be giving a “Grace Score” for how gracefully a gymnast recovers from a horrific and body twisting loss of balance.
-The U.S. Army will now be issuing standing orders that for every 20 Hostiles killed by drones strikes, 5 American Soldiers will be put on a 72-Hour “No Movement” status, preventing their involvement in further military operations for the duration of the Order.

WvW is a three-way war.
If your server can’t compete, you don’t belong in the tier you’re in.
Server Xfer’s are free, after all.

I do believe the breakout events are there to counter other kind of problems, not to solely help a team that has lost the game.

In NFL, you can check for drugs which are banned from the game. However, ANet doesn’t want to ban nightcapping, as everyone’s time is equally valuable. This however leads into situations where a good server has nothing on a map on the morning. → Breakout event.

Gymnastics? Sure, ya can use drugs in gymnastics too.

USA warring? Oh, please. That’s like saying ANet gives free omega golems for one side, then since its winning they introduced break out events to help the two losing servers.

Breakout events aren’t there to give free points to a server that is thrown to wrong bracket, they’re there to help servers of equal standing but smaller nightcrew take back the land which is rightfully theirs when they log in on the morning. Or that’s my opinion anyways.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lycis.1843

Lycis.1843

They should not be removed but they should get a kitten longer timer for commander respawning. We defeated 8-10 waves of commander on bluelake (t3 was after 8 waves on 95% such a waste, that’s why we were defending in the first place) against riverside in a row and in the meanwhile we defended several waves greenbriar against the commander. 8-10 waves that’s ridiculous. In the end we could not build up proper defending tools against the commander because they´re just RESPAWNED as the old Commander was dead and the next was on the road down. Thats really a worse design of the breakout event. Maybe next week we meet a worse attacker then riverside we could beat commander over and over again because there is no timer at all. The breakout event totally need a longer timer so we can build up proper defending tools after the 37th commander wave. So that the attacker can see that bluelake or greenbriar is well defended and not bringing the 50th commander and we’re doing ALL DAY break out events because it is so much fun.

(edited by Lycis.1843)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

The bubbles surrounding the sieges,fix the “push back effect” please, ive been stuck within 2 of those bubbles ( honestly ) ping ponging me around untill i died form people aoeing me.yes people laughed theyre kitten of,myself included but still think it needs to be adressed somehow :p

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I think it is important to remember that the game is supposed to be fun for everyone – not just for those on extremely full servers like Tarnished Coast.

The breakout event was put in place to help those servers that dont have the numbers and 24/7 coverage – not to keep them from losing but to actually give them something to do when they dont have the numbers on to face off against an entire server worth of defenders.

It is an interesting addition and helps keeps things a little more exciting – but if you are on a full or nearly full server, then please understand that this wasnt really designed for your server or match experience to begin with.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Breakouts aren’t the problem. Lack of incentive to defend is the problem.

You can

A>Upgrade and defend all your fortifications
B> let the enemy take the fort, retake it immedately, and rake in the rewards for a successful assault

Because the scoreboard only ticks based on who owns what at that moment rather than how long they’ve owned it, the incentive to defend is nonexistant, and the meta in stead revolves around blitz-capping right before the timer pops.

Add to this the fast that most supply camps are completely indefensible, and reward quick-capping and emptying better than defending and upgrading the yaks… and you quickly realize that the problem that plagues WvW isn’t a few easy to counter breakout events, but an overall lack of incentive to ever defend anything at all.

Scoring needs to be adjusted on a linear ramp, rewarding more points the longer a server is able to hold each point. Bonus points should be awarded for holding points in enemy borderlands. Defense rewards for individuals need to be adjusted to compete with attack rewards. Supply camps should not award score at all.

These changes would make borderlands much more important, and encourage standing defensive forces to defend their holdings as well as the camps that supply them rather than constantly backdoor enemy supply on the other side of the map.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Suggestions

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

breakouts just need a couple of tweaks.
1. longer cooldown, having to defend from one every 10 – 15 minutes is too much.
2. The npc commander should get demoralized and despawn if all the players its supposed to be helping walk away and give up. Too many times is the event started and no one even tried to support it.
3. The team winning the match should not get breakouts against any team. Regardless of whether they hold anything on a map or not, they are winning, they don’t need help.
4. The 2nd place team should only get breakout events that would hit fortifications held by the first place team, and 3rd place should be eligible for breakouts against anyone.

The event is supposed to help those servers in need of help, not help the winning side take even more (yes, Devona’s Rest, I am looking at you, 10+ breakouts in a couple hours yesterday and you still failed everytime to take that tower).

AR

(edited by Catisa.6507)