Roaming as a class other than thief

in WvW

Posted by: momistah.2053

momistah.2053

With my necromancer recently completed, I’m looking for a new class to start gearing up for wvw. My necro tends to be a slow class whose power comes from grouping up with others and whittling down health. I figure the opposite of that is a roamer.

What classes are good at roaming (that aren’t thieves because apparently everyone gets upset when they die to a thief)?

in WvW

Posted by: Shea.3572

Shea.3572

I’m biased in I think engineers are awesome, but I recommend an engineer. You can have permanent swiftness up with kit switching and good surviability from potions. There is also many CC options, myself when I use rifle/flame thrower.

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

If you want to roam at maximum potential, roll a thief or a d/d ele. None of the other classes come close to total (solo) roaming potential just because of the sheer mobility and potential to choose your fights.

If you don’t care about being as good as possible, then just play whatever looks fun to you.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

sheer mobility and potential to choose your fights.

Quoted because this is what roaming is really about. You don’t need a profession that can win fair fights, you want a profession that never has to fight fair. Mobility means only engaging in fights you know you’re going to win.

in WvW

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

Well a d/d can avoid fights for sure in most cases and has speed to get around the map fast

in WvW

Posted by: yertle.5837

yertle.5837

If you want to roam at maximum potential, roll a thief or a d/d ele. None of the other classes come close to total (solo) roaming potential just because of the sheer mobility and potential to choose your fights.

If you don’t care about being as good as possible, then just play whatever looks fun to you.

definitely agree with thief/ele, IMO warrior can also work.

Acenn (Thief)
also L80 Ele/Necro/Mesmer
IoJ

in WvW

Posted by: Aieo.2815

Aieo.2815

Thief/DD elementalist/GS banner warrior

There may be more classes but these 3 are the only ones I played with roaming potential.

Sea of Sorrows > Jade Quarry > Sea of Sorrows
Effing rallybot

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

I’m biased in I think engineers are awesome, but I recommend an engineer. You can have permanent swiftness up with kit switching and good surviability from potions. There is also many CC options, myself when I use rifle/flame thrower.

now is a bad time to roll an engi. hit up the engi subforum. recent threads are mostly asking for anet’s intentions and warning people away. wait for buffs.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Shea.3572

Insanemaniac really? I’ll have to take a gander at the forums. I just dusted off my engie the past day and didn’t have any trouble in wvwvw. I think mainly since my build was buffed slightly with the sigil in regards how I play and I haven’t seen any negatives tot he nerfs. Thanks for the heads up I’ll check it out.

in WvW

insanemaniac.2456

well, last patch hit the best dps build really hard, bugfixed our support into oblivion, and previous patches have nerfed bunkers and conditions to mediocrity. engis excel at nothing any more. better to roll a class that does. unless youre playing for the steampunk flavor. no other class can match the flavor of engis.

in WvW

Shea.3572

Insanemaniac,

I have to disagree, my flame thrower engineer does well:

1.) Damage:
My #1 attack does 1,500-2,000 direct dmg from a full stream to all the targets it hits. This is followed by a burn for some more dmg.
My #2 attack does 3-5k dmg upon exploding
Traits that give me ability to cause vulnerability for each crit & cause burning.
Runes that take advantage of burning.
2.) CC:
Flame thrower #3 – Frontal knock back
Flame thrower #5 – AoE Blind
Rifle #4 – Frontal AoE knockback and gain distance
3.) Surival:
Traits that decrease cool down on elixirs allowing me to re-use them frequently.
Trait turning my small and breaking CC when at 25% for a few seconds.
Also elixir to break CC and turn me invul for a fwe seconds.
Elixir to give turn all conditions to boons.
Ability to throw elixirs and remove conditions.
Racial (Sylvari) plant a’bunch of turrets giving me more dmg in my area and also giving me those extra seconds of invul.

Now I apologize for being too lazy to look up the elixir names and I realize the sylvari elite isn’t engineeer specific, but the point I am making is that maybe some builds are broken now. Though definitely not all and I consider engineer to be a class to be reconded with.

in WvW

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

For roaming I suggest finding:

1. A build that can reasonably stand toe to toe v a roaming Thief, you’ll meet many

2. A build that can solo camps

Bonus points if your build is good underwater.

in WvW

insanemaniac.2456

Insanemaniac,

I have to disagree, my flame thrower engineer does well:

1.) Damage:
My #1 attack does 1,500-2,000 direct dmg from a full stream to all the targets it hits. This is followed by a burn for some more dmg.
My #2 attack does 3-5k dmg upon exploding
Traits that give me ability to cause vulnerability for each crit & cause burning.
Runes that take advantage of burning.
2.) CC:
Flame thrower #3 – Frontal knock back
Flame thrower #5 – AoE Blind
Rifle #4 – Frontal AoE knockback and gain distance
3.) Surival:
Traits that decrease cool down on elixirs allowing me to re-use them frequently.
Trait turning my small and breaking CC when at 25% for a few seconds.
Also elixir to break CC and turn me invul for a fwe seconds.
Elixir to give turn all conditions to boons.
Ability to throw elixirs and remove conditions.
Racial (Sylvari) plant a’bunch of turrets giving me more dmg in my area and also giving me those extra seconds of invul.

Now I apologize for being too lazy to look up the elixir names and I realize the sylvari elite isn’t engineeer specific, but the point I am making is that maybe some builds are broken now. Though definitely not all and I consider engineer to be a class to be reconded with.

anyone does fine in wvw when they have experience to back them up… with any build. you have the advantage of a lack of knowledge. you have the advantage of being 80 against upleveled. etc.

but try tpvp or 30+ fractals. and then this post will make more sense:

The basics of the engineer are: you play at 100% to match others at 80%.

as for your anecdotal evidence:
for 1, rifle auto does about 2-3x the dps. it doesnt take 2 secs to go off. it has double the range. you should be using FT auto only for crit procs and gates/thin walls. not for its damage.
for 2, you dont really need the cc in pve (or the enemy is immune), and in pvp/wvw its great against pugs but any serious pvper will have stability on demand.
for 3… yeah S is great. and i dont tend to bother with condition removal. medkits usually enough. however, requiring a 20 point trait to make tossed elixirs worth ANYTHING is ridiculous. because all but 1 tossed elixir grants a random effect. unpredictable is terrible design.

(edited by insanemaniac.2456)

in WvW

Posted by: Tynan.6279

Tynan.6279

Quoted because this is what roaming is really about. You don’t need a profession that can win fair fights, you want a profession that never has to fight fair. Mobility means only engaging in fights you know you’re going to win.

Well as a Thief and d/d Ele I can win any fight, so I only engage when I want to. Has nothing to do with only choosing fights I think I can win because I can win them all with both, every now and then I loose to a well played Thief or Ele.

Wreckd ~ Mesmer/Warrior/Necro
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast ~ FA

in WvW

Posted by: Rhoto.8791

Rhoto.8791

I solo roam with my ele, and my favorite fights are 1v2, 1v3, 1v4… And I never know if I will win those fights, the only fights i try to avoid are 1v5 +. So I disagree with your “fair fight” argument, but you are right that, if we need to run away, we can usually get away.

Chipsu – Elementalist
Maguuma [SWäG]
Original [OG] (good times)

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

I solo roam with my guardian, not very mobile but I can kill all the other roaming thieves and eles so it doesn’t really matter. Just have to make sure to avoid zergs.

in WvW

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

Solo roaming with a warrior is very viable too, just make sure to carry a greatsword and whirlwind attack away then rush. Might wanna carry consumables that restore hp on crit aswell.

in WvW

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Make a Mesmer!

…oh wait…

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

Any class as long as you’re good with it and can win 1v1s with thieves. Personally, I can do that with almost any class but engy because I never played them.

¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸
[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love
¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

in WvW

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

From what I played, my Mesmer is great at it.

My Guardian not so much. Worst escape mechanics. So if you get in a fight over your head or run into a zerg. It’s fight or die. With you dead most of the time.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in WvW

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Mesmer is not bad… i run solo on mine a bit and stir up some kitten.

I would go Thief or Elementalist… both have heaps of getaway tricks if the situation starts going south.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in WvW

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

I do it on a guardian. zergs are the worst of your troubles.

If you build smart and play well you’ll win most any 1v1 except the mobility options are low. Thieves dont bother you and you can kinda ROFLstomp most of em. So can warriors, and a good warrior can just about outrun anyone actually.

I would suggest Warriors and Eles. They get a lot of love from Devs.

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

in WvW

Posted by: Czar Peter.7961

Czar Peter.7961

Thieves are definitely the best roamers if you like playing solo, but I’ve had a lot of trouble catching ele’s with their mist form and ride the lightning, so maybe you should try that.

Engineer – Thief – Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Amasius.9014

Amasius.9014

Thief/DD elementalist/GS banner warrior

There may be more classes but these 3 are the only ones I played with roaming potential.

The warrior can be a great roamer with sword/warhorn as second weapon set. Permanent swiftness, sword-2 is a great leap to get in or out of fights, the horn also can remove conditions.

Pishy – Warrior
[FeaR] The First Impact – Riverside

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

Warrior.

Sword/warhorn with bulls charge. Warhorn build for constant speed, and if you need to get out of trouble sword 2 and bulls charge puts a huge distance away from attackers and you won’t get caught.
Keep “shake it off” in traits and skills with mending to clean off cripples and you should be good.

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Thief and Ele are simply by far the best. If your intent is to be the best kitten roamer you can be, picking any other profession is just silly.

in WvW

Posted by: Nanoha.3892

Nanoha.3892

D/D ele is fantastic, incredible mobility and very strong against multiple foes. I went a norn so I also have Snow Leopard as my elite (stealth+dash) which has saved me so so so many times against the masses. I also play a mesmer which can roam very well but I feel it requires centaur runes to do so (pretty much permanent swiftness). I would sueggest the ele though as it is very fun too.

in WvW

Posted by: Goblin.1586

Goblin.1586

Necros are the bane of ele. I believe a well played necro can beat any class 1v1. If you want to annoy those pesky roamers you should stick with necro :O