What are the specs i need to play in www

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Delusion.8472

Delusion.8472

Q:

1st of all i wanna ask the team from anet what Uber computer should i have just to www???!!!! because tonight while i was in www ( sos-bg-jq ) i couldn`t see anything ( except when i was dead already )
2nd please upgrade ur servers beacause there is a delay on spells (ex: i heal.. after 10 sec )
3rd i`m not having networks problem of any kind.. my comp has 1 year old and in the rest of the games my proc doesn`t go over 50% of loading..

i`ll apreciate a true answer to my question .. what are your specs that u want us to have just to be able to play in www?!?!?!?!!? btw my video card is Ati Radeon 6850 hd.. and when i`m in www i`m playing on low just because ur servers are TO BAD!
sry…that`s the truth.. and yeah IS MY POINT OF VIEW…

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

A:

There are threads in this forum that will explain what you need but ill save u time and explain.

GW2 is heavily CPU bound as u may already know, more so its bound by single thread performance. Long story short GW2 uses 3 main threads plus about 40-50 other threads to run. Those 3 main threads are where the performance comes from, when any 1 of those can no longer be proccessed any faster than ur CPU is capable ..thats when bottlenecks occure and FPS drops.

With this in mind take a gander at this list of Single thread performance for CPU’s.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Anyway here is a spec that should play GW2 as good as currently is possible.

-Any of the following CPUs:
Intel i5 2500k/2550k, 3570k + ~4.5ghz OC
Intel i7 2600k,2700k,3770k + ~4.5ghz OC
Intel i7 3930k + ~4.5ghz OC
-Noctua NH-D14 Air Cooler (or for slightly lower clock: Coolermaster 212 Evo)
-Asus or Gigabyte ATX LGA 1155 Mothebroard / LGA 2011 for 3930k)
-8 or 16gb 1600mhz RAM : GSkill or Mushkin if using Noctua Cooler, Corsair also a choice only if using a smaller cooler like the 212 Evo.
-For High graphics settings: Nvidia 560ti or better, AMD 7850 or better
A SSD may help reduce stutter when turing camera in a newly loaded zone.
Plus the usual other components.

The OC on the CPU is key to stay above 30 fps in Heavy WvW battles.

Note: This is not bassed on my personal ‘opinion’ or ‘heresay’ of any specific makes or models of components. This is a recommendation bassed on facts , figures, benchmarks of performance within GW2 found on this forum and other websites.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

Posted by: russia.9057

russia.9057

Soviet
www.twitch.tv/sovietgw2

Delusion.8472

yeah right! in i7 920, 8gb ram, 1kw supply, 2tb hdd, and that hd 6850 (2gb video/256 bit) i`m having problems and your giving me the tech specs that an on the site.. GOOD JOB!

aahh i forgot.. FIX THE AUDIO BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

I don’t understand what is causing the audio bug. I get it on my system as well. Nothing is more fun that fighting claw to hear whooomp whooomp whoomp instead of the awesome battle theme.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Posted by: kujalord.5849

kujalord.5849

Did you check you network ping? if its higher than 160 then i’m sure you will be laggy when casting spells

ruby
[SONG]

Posted by: Jiiub.7135

Jiiub.7135

Its engine problems and server, not client.. i thought people understood that.

the culling is engine base code

I had ALL your problems and were running at 30+ fps at ultra settings

Rorgash
Necromancer
[IRON] Gaming

Delusion.8472

you are the 1st that really knows about what i`m speaking..

Posted by: koopatroopa.5360

koopatroopa.5360

Arenanet knows the culling (people not loading) is an very important issue and they are working on it diligently. A time frame when it will be fixed is unknown, but we are all hoping in the Feb WvW update.

Delusion.8472

Did you check you network ping? if its higher than 160 then i’m sure you will be laggy when casting spells

mate.. i have a uber internet band.. with us servers i have between 100 and 130 ms with a download rate over 5mb/s and upload 4mb/s … but again is not the internet..or the computer..
i know that the graphics are awesome in this game.. but they need to work at the engine because is not normal to have problems in WWW and not being able to see against who are you fighting.. and just spam buttons 12312312457890 … it`s not normal.. with a high end computer.. in WWW u`ll get 17fps or lower in a big battle.. that IS NOT NORMAL

Posted by: Retrospek.4583

Retrospek.4583

I’m not sure where an i7 920 places, but the Radeon HD 6850 is currently ranked 54 on the benchmarks from Passmark (which I find to be pretty reliable on benchmarks). I’d call rank 54 pretty high end, maybe not top end, but still high end. For the recommended requirements for this game, a 6850 should perform very well.

But, regardless, as others have pointed out, it’s more about the culling issues than it is about computer specs at this point.

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

I’m not sure where an i7 920 places

i7 920 (Bloomfield) is outdated quite a bit by Sandy bridge, and even more so by Ivy bridge. Since GW2 is heavy cpu-dependent, this is where his bottleneck is.

I went from an i7 860 (Lynnfield) to an i5 3570k (kept the same video card, 7850) and the difference is massive. Those first/second gen i7s are solid, but they really show their age in CPU heavy applications such as GW2.

edit: just want to clarify that I know this has nothing to do with culling. CPU/GPU might have a little to do with rendering, but that is mostly hamstrung by the culling mechanic.

[AoN] All or Nothing

(edited by Xirin.8593)

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

The audio bug can be fixed pretty simply.

Go into your documents>GW2 folder and look at your local.dat file. If it’s bigger than 15mb, delete it and let the game reload it.

This is supposed to be your UI settings file, but it grows daily and over time gets too big and becomes corrupted for some reason. Deleting it fixes the sound bug.

You will have to reset all your settings again, but until a final fix is put in by Anet, this will correct it for you.

This fix does nothing for culling though.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: Tala.7638

Tala.7638

The audio bug can be fixed pretty simply.

Go into your documents>GW2 folder and look at your local.dat file. If it’s bigger than 15mb, delete it and let the game reload it.

This is supposed to be your UI settings file, but it grows daily and over time gets too big and becomes corrupted for some reason. Deleting it fixes the sound bug.

You will have to reset all your settings again, but until a final fix is put in by Anet, this will correct it for you.

This fix does nothing for culling though.

Nice fix. Going to try it as soon as I get outta work. I knew it was something simple. Culling will never get fixed. I have given up hope. Unless Anet gets better servers, but I dnt think we buy enough gems for that.

Talaysteria/Talas Cap/Talarenth
THE Mystic Plumbers [LUCK]
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

Posted by: Genocide.4506

Genocide.4506

this thread = LOL!!!!!!

Blackgate thief :)

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

OP, been pointed out many times by the wizzes in the tech forum. GW2 basically utilizes the old GW1 engine that is optimised for DirectX 9. Direct X 9 does not utilize the latest multi core processors which is why you see the heavy CPU usage during gameplay. It will take a complete rewrite of game code to take advantage of Direct X 11 which properly utilizes 4+ cores but it’s just not gonna happen months after release.

Delusion.8472

OP, been pointed out many times by the wizzes in the tech forum. GW2 basically utilizes the old GW1 engine that is optimised for DirectX 9. Direct X 9 does not utilize the latest multi core processors which is why you see the heavy CPU usage during gameplay. It will take a complete rewrite of game code to take advantage of Direct X 11 which properly utilizes 4+ cores but it’s just not gonna happen months after release.

and this brings another question “WHY?!” we live in an era of new tech.. not “fixing” an old used paper bag with duct tape…why in the hell i wanna play on a supercomputer a game made for a 486 computer?? this judgement i really don`t understand.. why using directx 9 when u know the specs that u posted… who the hell is still using directx 9 ( except WoW [but i believe that even they changed to directx 11=> don`t know for sure so don`t yell at me] )

ps. Release date(s) August 28, 2012 in 5 months u can think of making a change that can be in the best interests of your game..

(edited by Delusion.8472)

Posted by: Corvi.3278

Corvi.3278

This has been discussed many times in the tech section wherein the proposed solution is “to get a supercomputer”. LOL

But the true solution is to optimize the code – any computer (super or whatever) will simply be brought down by problematic instruction sets.

Posted by: zerk.9701

zerk.9701

1st of all i wanna ask the team from anet what Uber computer should i have just to www???!!!! because tonight while i was in www ( sos-bg-jq ) i couldn`t see anything ( except when i was dead already )
2nd please upgrade ur servers beacause there is a delay on spells (ex: i heal.. after 10 sec )
3rd i`m not having networks problem of any kind.. my comp has 1 year old and in the rest of the games my proc doesn`t go over 50% of loading..

i`ll apreciate a true answer to my question .. what are your specs that u want us to have just to be able to play in www?!?!?!?!!? btw my video card is Ati Radeon 6850 hd.. and when i`m in www i`m playing on low just because ur servers are TO BAD!
sry…that`s the truth.. and yeah IS MY POINT OF VIEW…

Your slow outdated CPU is most of your problem.
Might be time to come out of 2008 and update your PC. The i7 920 is not made to game with and really slow at todays standards using what 1066 or 800MHz ram. 6850 video card is decent low/mid level gaming card. Most games still use directX 9. Had to LOL at the 1000 Watt PSU for a PC that draws about 320 Watts maxed out. (that’s the most overkill I have ever seen)

Posted by: zerk.9701

zerk.9701

This has been discussed many times in the tech section wherein the proposed solution is “to get a supercomputer”. LOL

But the true solution is to optimize the code – any computer (super or whatever) will simply be brought down by problematic instruction sets.

Mine runs the game just fine and do you really think they will optimize the code?
If they do optimize the code what would be a realistic performance increase 20%
That means if you get 15FPS right now in big WVW zergs you would jump up to 18.

Posted by: Corvi.3278

Corvi.3278

Mine runs the game just fine and do you really think they will optimize the code?
If they do optimize the code what would be a realistic performance increase 20%
That means if you get 15FPS right now in big WVW zergs you would jump up to 18.

Only Arenanet can answer if they will do it. 20% can’t be really sure because optimization can sometimes exceed 100% improvement.

I hope they will do it though, they are Arenanet afterall.