Should WXP earned from kills be divided?

in WvW

Posted by: Jeda.5209

Jeda.5209

I’m not sure if there was another topic on this, but I know it was mention in some other thread.

Should the wxp you get from a kill be divided among all the people who inflicted damage?

In other words wouldn’t it make more sense, if for example player x is worth 60 wxp if killed. If he is soloed the other player is rewarded all 60 wxp. However, if 5 people inflict damage to kill this player they are instead rewarded 12 wxp.

I think this would help balance wxp gain from a zerger and those that participate in small groups or soloers.

Anyway just an idea and perhaps they would have to increase the wxp a player can be worth so that it doesn’t affect wxp gain per hr as it is now. Maybe increase the max a player can be worth is doubled to what it is now. (60 to 120 wxp to compensate)

Sea of Sorrows

(Bronze Soldier)

(edited by Jeda.5209)

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Nope.

One of the core philosophies of this game is that you should never be unhappy to have an ally help you out.

How much fun would be if someone shows up at the tail end of a fight, tags the enemy and suddenly cuts your reward by half?

The QQ would be endless

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

There are a few things off about each person getting 60 wexp going 30v1 against someone caught offguard, but it’s not like they have to pay larger repair bills or make longer walks back to where they wanted to go because more people killed them.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

No, the whole point of this game is to play with other people. They actually have WvW set up right IMO, with gank groups running if they want to and the majority of people in large armies. This game was built on people working together, whether grouped or not.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeda.5209

Jeda.5209

Nope.

One of the core philosophies of this game is that you should never be unhappy to have an ally help you out.

How much fun would be if someone shows up at the tail end of a fight, tags the enemy and suddenly cuts your reward by half?

The QQ would be endless

You brought up a valid point and I could definitly see that happening.
However, perhaps if they just reduce it to a percentage.

For example 100 percent of the wxp a player is worth is rewarded if soloed.
Then maybe 90 percent of the wxp a player is worth is rewarded if 2- 5 players killed the one player.
6-10 player kill one person get 80 percent.
10 players plus would get 50 percent. (So if 30 players killed one person worth 60 points they each get 30 wxp points)

The point being it is much harder to solo and kill a person than 30 people all kill the same person, but they are awarded the same currently.

Sea of Sorrows

(Bronze Soldier)

(edited by Jeda.5209)

in WvW

Posted by: tagnut.8621

tagnut.8621

if you’re worried about wxp then you’re doing it wrong.

S’far as i’m concerned you can turn it off – virtually pointless obsessing over it.

in WvW

Posted by: shortcake.8659

shortcake.8659

S’far as i’m concerned you can turn it off – virtually pointless obsessing over it.

It’s not a matter of being worried about wxp. It’s the fact that full wxp gain from objectives/kills never being split directly causes enormous zergs to form for farming, much like karma trains from many months ago.

some terrible idiot in [pre]

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

It’s not a matter of being worried about wxp. It’s the fact that full wxp gain from objectives/kills never being split directly causes enormous zergs to form for farming, much like karma trains from many months ago.

I haven’t found people play differently after WXP than before. Other than we put the guy with ballista mastery on the ballista and listen to him laugh.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

There are a few things off about each person getting 60 wexp going 30v1 against someone caught offguard, but it’s not like they have to pay larger repair bills or make longer walks back to where they wanted to go because more people killed them.

This is correct. As others have said in this thread, this game is about “everyone working together” (aka zerging). On a macro level, you want your server to earn as much WXP collectively as possible, and as such zerging is the most effective way to do it. A small group could win 5v10, but their risk factor is high while their reward is quite low as compared to if they were to join the zerg and win 60v40.

So, zerging = low risk and high reward. Small man skirmishing = high risk and low reward.

If WXP was divided, yes people would kitten about others helping. <crochity voice> In my day we called this “adding” on fights, and it was considered rude by non-zergers.</crochity voice> However only the small group players cared. Zerg players would continue to not care, since more numbers equal greater chances for WXP. Splitting PvP points is not a new concept in MMO’s (DAoC, Warhammer, Camelot Unchained, etc). It does encourage small group PvP, but it also creates elitism by encouraging players to play better.

Myself, I am quite proud to be Rank 14 and destroying people who are twice or three times as high of a rank when I catch them away from their zerg.

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

(edited by Boulderbolg.3460)

in WvW

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

I enjoyed that post ^

I say yes. I think all the Wxp should be divided, even tho it would make me rage now and then after soloing a fully upgraded camp when a full zerg comes to stand inside the circle. But then again, people wouldn’t be so excited about running in 40men groups standing in sentry points to gain xp. A lot of people would quit playing WvW probably, and a lot would be encouraged to play in small groups or solo, wich I consider way more fun than zerging.

The argument “No, because people would complain when you steal their wxp”, sounds more like “No, I wanna keep zerging and gaining the same xp doing no effort at all”

And yes, you know something has changed when you read in map chat “please, just hit the yaks once, share the xp”.

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in WvW

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

^Thanks.

A buddy of mine who some of you may know, Yishis, made a good point about how WXP is coded. Since the XP/Karma system is based on everyone getting the same amount for tapping a mob once, it would be cumbersome on their development team to do it differently for WXP. If that is the case, then we will not see any changes for a long time I think.

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv