Spike in full bunker popularity?

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

It might just be in my bracket… but I’ve noticed a LOT more people going full bunker in WvW. Bunker guard/war/mes/eles are all over the place.

It’s boring. You can’t you can’t be killed… but you won’t kill anyone either.

What’s the point?

How is a full bunker even fun at all?

Do people really fear dying THAT much?

Why not go for a balanced approach instead? (Ex. My balanced guard & mes are tanky but not to the extreme of not being able to kill something in under an hour… and bunkers still can’t kill me)

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

bunker mes? there is no such thing as a bunker build for mesmers… is “bunker” just your shorthand for any class you have trouble defeating?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-The-Immortal-Mesmer-Build/first#post1250083

^ Bunker Mes.

No bunker isn’t shorthand for trouble defeating, it’s full defensive stats/builds.

You might not encounter that many on a lower teir such as NSP though… but that was part of my question.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

Yeah, I put together a Mesmer build a couple weeks ago that was nearly impossible to kill. Routinely took at very least 3v1 to take me down.

Did virtually no damage,
I could win 1v1s, but it’d take 15 minutes to do so (Timed it a few times)

And I actually did find it quite fun to play.
Not being able to kill things wasn’t as nice, but you really appreciate the nuances in GW2’s combat mechanics when battles last longer than the 30 seconds it takes me to burst someone down as a GC shatter mesmer.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Ritt.3069

Ritt.3069

As a matter of fact, D/D bunkers are semi-decent on the offensive side as well. Going full glass is only really effective in small groups, a few exceptions excluded. Hybrid builds tend to have a bad rep for not really exceling at anything, so I guess people try to avoid them.

In general bunkers are a valid choice for zergs as they will actually allow you to stay alive more than 2 seconds. More glassy builds can be effective in the right hands though, i.e. you don’t die.

William Van Dine/Aria Entreri/Weaver of the Dream
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA], Desolation
4 Champion titles, solo/duoq Legend, best old LB rank 64.

in WvW

Posted by: Rackhir Tanelorn.9123

Rackhir Tanelorn.9123

And I actually did find it quite fun to play.
Not being able to kill things wasn’t as nice, but you really appreciate the nuances in GW2’s combat mechanics when battles last longer than the 30 seconds it takes me to burst someone down as a (pure Burst/Damage build)

Very much this.

Also, as long as Thieves can freely engage/disengage from any fight of their choice Bunkers are a natural counter to them.

NAGA|TC

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

You can still not die quickly as a balanced build… and still kill things. 1v1 Fights aren’t over in a few seconds nor do they drag out for 30+

I can’t remember the last time a thief has downed me while being in a balanced setup. It gives you enough time to react while still being able to down them quickly. If you’re having issues vs thieves leaving fights when you don’t want them to, I suggest adding in more CC. CC is a thief’s bane.

DD Eles can still do some damage as full bunker, but even then why not go for a more balanced approach? (Just wondering as I don’t have an 80 Ele)

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: GSTim.8094

GSTim.8094

Aberrant.6749
imo bunker ele is the most balanced build for this class. Decent damage and good defence with nice healing.

Show me more balanced build.

in WvW

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

You can still not die quickly as a balanced build… and still kill things. 1v1 Fights aren’t over in a few seconds nor do they drag out for 30+

I can’t remember the last time a thief has downed me while being in a balanced setup. It gives you enough time to react while still being able to down them quickly. If you’re having issues vs thieves leaving fights when you don’t want them to, I suggest adding in more CC. CC is a thief’s bane.

DD Eles can still do some damage as full bunker, but even then why not go for a more balanced approach? (Just wondering as I don’t have an 80 Ele)

Well,
The full bunker DD Ele I have most conversation with doesn’t do kitten for damage. :P

And I very seldomly have problems with thieves even as a glass cannon mesmer.
As I’ve said many times, the very bulk of the times that thieves kill me is when they gank me while I’m already fighting someone else.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

Aberrant.6749
imo bunker ele is the most balanced build for this class. Decent damage and good defence with nice healing.

That doesn’t make any sense.

Bunker = full defense at the expense of offense
Glass cannon = full offense at the expense of defense
Balance = middle ground between the two

Unless you’re trying to say that Bunker is the most effective build for D/D Ele.

[AoN] All or Nothing

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

imo “Bunker” goes beyond just being a defensively focused build…a true bunker build is a build that can sustain defenses to a point where they simply cannot be killed 1 vs 1.

55monk is a real bunker build…. just choosing Soldier’s gear over Berserker’s does not a bunker build make.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

Bunker ele from what I’ve seen doesn’t do that much dmg… it just has survival… but more dmg than most other bunker classes do (still not much)

Why not toss in some knight’s gear at least to get some damage while keeping up toughness (defense)?

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Halo.8976

Halo.8976

Says 80 lvl thief.

in WvW

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

It might just be in my bracket… but I’ve noticed a LOT more people going full bunker in WvW. Bunker guard/war/mes/eles are all over the place.

It’s boring. You can’t you can’t be killed… but you won’t kill anyone either.

What’s the point?

Why not go for a balanced approach instead? (Ex. My balanced guard & mes are tanky but not to the extreme of not being able to kill something in under an hour… and bunkers still can’t kill me)

Unfortunately, full bunker is the only way to survive perma stealthed thieves. That’s why people are doing it. Certainly why my guild is moving that way.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in WvW

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

Because people might enjoy 5 min back and forth fights more than a 10 second berserker gank leading you to spend most of your wvw time running back from waypoints.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

bunker mes? there is no such thing as a bunker build for mesmers… is “bunker” just your shorthand for any class you have trouble defeating?

In all honesty Bunker Mes>Bunker Guardian… Umadbro? lol

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

Says 80 lvl thief.

I have 4 80’s… none of which are bunker built. I play mostly on my guardian and mes as of late. If you need help dealing with thieves and how to kill them feel free to whisper me in game.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

jportell.2197

Says 80 lvl thief.

I have 4 80’s… none of which are bunker built. I play mostly on my guardian and mes as of late. If you need help dealing with thieves and how to kill them feel free to pm me in game.

Running a non bunker guardian? Lol wut? Hey if it works more power to you! You may be one of the guardians I kill with a full retal build… But honestly people are going more bunker because like the backstab thieves that find it hilarious when they isnta down someone these bunker builds find it hilarious when a GC build runs up on em bursts and it was nothing more than a wet sneeze on them… And then they proceed to watch the circle of panic ensue while the GC tries to figure out what to do next.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

Every time a thief downs someone without ever exiting culling, that’s one more person who goes off to investigate “bunker builds”.

The game is no fun when invisible people drop you and you never had a chance to fight back. So bunker build it is. BB’s will fade when thieves get nerfed.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I’m going to make a bunker thief.

in WvW

Posted by: deracs.1762

deracs.1762

Bunker builds can be more then simple survival. If you are a build that adds support (heals, cc, shields, etc) then staying alive can often do more for your group then faster killing.
On top of that of course is culling issues, group stealth, and stupid amounts of AOE. Add in situations like being in a tier where your server is out numbered in every border land, and bunker builds often make sense. Balanced groups make the most sense of course

in WvW

jportell.2197

Every time a thief downs someone without ever exiting culling, that’s one more person who goes off to investigate “bunker builds”.

The game is no fun when invisible people drop you and you never had a chance to fight back. So bunker build it is. BB’s will fade when thieves get nerfed.

Which apparently isn’t going to happen so lets have a game of polarity yay!

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

jportell.2197

Bunker builds are not counters to thieves because if a GC thief catches most bunker classes flat footed they tend to kill them before they know what hit them. Bunkers are usually bunker from the use of skills not inherent HP or armor. Bunker builds exist because they are effective thief or not.

It still gives people a chance to react to the omgered haste/steal/cnd/bs thief… I have been in full bunker before and had a haste thief come at me and the combat log showed 4/5 of his hits as you were hit for “x” damage by Unknown… There is a major problem when the technology can’t keep up with the attacks.

Edit: And bunkers are bunkers from inherent hp/armor AND skills… It would be stupid to run full beserkers gear and then trait to be a bunker or vice versa… The whole reason bunkers exist is because GC of any class just rips through a build that is remotely balanced.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

(edited by jportell.2197)

in WvW

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Its simple. When you are dead you can’t deal damage. And in zerg fights bunker builds gives you the highest survivability. Your lack of damage is made up by your other zerg mates.

When you want to roam, you should go glass cannon so you can kill your foe before his help arrives. When you go with zerg, you should go bunker build.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in WvW

Posted by: Rackhir Tanelorn.9123

Rackhir Tanelorn.9123

Its simple. When you are dead you can’t deal damage. And in zerg fights bunker builds gives you the highest survivability. Your lack of damage is made up by your other zerg mates.

When you want to roam, you should go glass cannon so you can kill your foe before his help arrives. When you go with zerg, you should go bunker build.

Too… much… logic… in… one… post
/ForumBSOD

NAGA|TC

in WvW

Posted by: Loco.4561

Loco.4561

All my toons are bunkers of some sort for WvW and they are built this way purely to counter thieves. Thieves by far do the most damage to any of my toons when I’m checking my combat log, even my “tankier” builds still have high damage numbers from thief abilities. As much as I would like to there is no way I would be able to run out full zerker, i’d be downed in 1-2 seconds by thief’s…

And surely it’s a problem in itself if the majority if players are running bunkers just so they don’t get killed by one profession….

Mashup Bootleg ~ WvW Mesmer
Cyrus Glitch – sPvP/tPvP Mesmer
Doctor Loki – sPvP/tPvP/WvW Power Necro

in WvW

jportell.2197

It still gives people a chance to react to the omgered haste/steal/cnd/bs thief… I have been in full bunker before and had a haste thief come at me and the combat log showed 4/5 of his hits as you were hit for “x” damage by Unknown… There is a major problem when the technology can’t keep up with the attacks.

Edit: And bunkers are bunkers from inherent hp/armor AND skills… It would be stupid to run full beserkers gear and then trait to be a bunker or vice versa… The whole reason bunkers exist is because GC of any class just rips through a build that is remotely balanced.

Not really. If a GC thief pop signets/mug/backstab with crit/HS till dead, nothing short of a big HP class survives without an escape mechanism such as dodge, blink, stun, etc none of which is required by a bunker. IMO bunkers are more about tanking multiple targets and surviving against in large group fights than thief survival.

Take the ele and guardian bunker classes. They rarely survive the above chain from a GC thief as they start at 10k health requiring traits/skills to survive. GC Warriors can survive an initial assault because they start with 20k HP. So GC thief survival comes down to really quick reaction with a single skill or a lot of HP/armor.

Sooo this means that something should be done about the thief BS burst? K thanks! And all those stun breaks are great but a BS thief can just reset and go for it again.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Knight gear for the win. Some crit dmg runes and crit dmg jewels. Works like charm.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

So full bunkers are popular because quickly popping a stun breaker/tele/knockback/whatever to stop an initial burst is too hard even with a balanced set up? Ok… I can see that… sadly…

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: crewthief.8649

crewthief.8649

Even a cursory glance in the Mesmer forums will reveal the existence, and in fact viability, of bunker Mesmers. I’d go so far as to say a Mesmer bunker is amongst the best bunker professions in the game.

< JADE QUARRY >
Zabroshan – 80 Guardian / Sorroe – 80 Mesmer
Hands Off My Octopus

in WvW

jportell.2197

So bunker builds are popular because quickly popping a stun breaker is too hard even in a balanced build? Ok… I can see that… sadly…

Its not the popping of a stun breaker… Its using those stun breakers to avoid the damage… But the perpetrator can just reset and do it again while your stun breaks are on cd.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

jportell.2197

Even a cursory glance in the Mesmer forums will reveal the existence, and in fact viability, of bunker Mesmers. I’d go so far as to say a Mesmer bunker is amongst the best bunker professions in the game.

This can be confirmed through doing it take a mes (if its 80) gear it up per the guide and watch the guardians/warriors get mad because you can facetank better than them and never lose 1/4 of your health. I’ve actually had guardians using whirling wrath on me PM me and claim i used some sort of hack because they went from full to 0 with me just standing in their AOE.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

Knight gear for the win. Some crit dmg runes and crit dmg jewels. Works like charm.

I approve of this… knight’s + zerk + valk is what I use on my guard.

So bunker builds are popular because quickly popping a stun breaker is too hard even in a balanced build? Ok… I can see that… sadly…

Its not the popping of a stun breaker… Its using those stun breakers to avoid the damage… But the perpetrator can just reset and do it again while your stun breaks are on cd.

If they are the full GC thief they’ll have to wait a while… or they’ll have to go in with less damage/no stun on the 2nd try. In either case you should be able to mitigate the damage or avoid it completely. So the more I’m reading the more it seems it’s because it’s easier than having some skill (you don’t even need a lot to avoid a GC of any class).

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

jportell.2197

I approve of this… knight’s + zerg + valk is what I use on my guard.

If they are the full GC thief they’ll have to wait a while… or they’ll have to go in with less damage/no stun on the 2nd try. In either case you should be able to mitigate the damage or avoid it completely.

less damage but still more than most other classes can fathom in a full zerker set up… In any case my full bunker build is not only meant to be a counter to thieves but rangers/killshot warriors/eles/ condi necros/and whirling wrath guardians… i only have a problem with some other mesmers and d/p thieves on occasion.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

If they are the full GC thief they’ll have to wait a while… or they’ll have to go in with less damage/no stun on the 2nd try. In either case you should be able to mitigate the damage or avoid it completely.

less damage but still more than most other classes can fathom in a full zerker set up… In any case my full bunker build is not only meant to be a counter to thieves but rangers/killshot warriors/eles/ condi necros/and whirling wrath guardians… i only have a problem with some other mesmers and d/p thieves on occasion.

Or you could learn to dodge/mitigate damage… but I guess people just wanna go bunker which makes for boring skirmish fights and take forever to take a camp with : /

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Chainspell.5697

Chainspell.5697

This is why whenever I see a Thief open up on my D/D Ele I just pop my Mist Form > Lightning Flash and RTL away and never come back. Fighting a thief is pointless, a bad one will stealth, keep resetting the fight or just down right run away when things don’t go their way. A good thief will probably do the same thing, so far in WvW you can’t really tell the difference because 99% of what I said is a normal encounter with a thief. Don’t get me wrong, I will fight any other class, but fighting a thief(in WvW anyways, not PvP) is the equivalent of banging your head against a wall.

in WvW

jportell.2197

Or you could learn to dodge/mitigate damage… but I guess people just wanna go bunker which makes for boring skirmish fights and take forever to take a camp with : /

Bunkering makes for hilarity… I build both ways depending on what I wanna do… Its always awesome seeing how fast you can down someone as a shatter mes… But it is also fun to see how fast people down themselves when I am a bunker mes… And honestly it all depends on what you wanna do but eve solo roaming in wow bunkers have a better chance of survival than GC…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

This is why whenever I see a Thief open up on my D/D Ele I just pop my Mist Form > Lightning Flash and RTL away and never come back. Fighting a thief is pointless, a bad one will stealth, keep resetting the fight or just down right run away when things don’t go their way. A good thief will probably do the same thing, so far in WvW you can’t really tell the difference because 99% of what I said is a normal encounter with a thief. Don’t get me wrong, I will fight any other class, but fighting a thief(in WvW anyways, not PvP) is the equivalent of banging your head against a wall.

I find it funny that some one complains about a thief being able to disengage from a fight… and then tell how they are able to do it themselves.

/facepalm

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Chainspell.5697

I find it funny that some one complains about a thief being able to disengage from a fight… and then tell how they are able to do it themselves.

/facepalm

You need reading comprehension my friend, all I am saying is that I choose to not fight thieves. I would rather gain more karma/silver by capping that objective than waste my time with an infinite stealth thief. I never once called for a thief nerf I learn to use what skills are given to me, similarly if I were a thief I would do the same. Which is why I think oth the elementalist and thieves are fine the way it is, yet Anet implemented the Evasive Arcana nerf anyways.

(edited by Chainspell.5697)

in WvW

Posted by: crewthief.8649

crewthief.8649

/facepalm

How about letting people enjoy the game the way they want and not worrying about it? There’s alot of damage flying around out there, some people just appreciate the increased survivability. Myself, I play my Mesmer full-on GC shatter. I can honestly say that this “issue” that you’ve brought to the forums, has never bothered me a single bit. It may also help to not be quite so condescending in your replies to people.

< JADE QUARRY >
Zabroshan – 80 Guardian / Sorroe – 80 Mesmer
Hands Off My Octopus

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

If you’re having issues vs thieves leaving fights when you don’t want them to, I suggest adding in more CC. CC is a thief’s bane.

As a non-glass cannon thief I can attest to this. It’s also why thieves are not the greatest class in a zerg. I often get chain stunned into oblivion even with my debuffs unless I simply shadowstep away, and all I’ve accomplished with that is take myself out of the fight. What all the whiners seem to forget is that the thief who ran away from your group is the thief who didn’t kill you.

I’ve always felt that being able to go invisible at will is more annoying than it is OP (discounting culling contributions, of course). A player who dies to any other class is much more likely to just chalk it up as having gone against a better geared, better spec’d, or better played enemy. Dying to a ghost, however, is more annoying even if it doesn’t necessarily happen more often.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Aberrant.6749

/facepalm

How about letting people enjoy the game the way they want and not worrying about it? There’s alot of damage flying around out there, some people just appreciate the increased survivability. Myself, I play my Mesmer full-on GC shatter. I can honestly say that this “issue” that you’ve brought to the forums, has never bothered me a single bit. It may also help to not be quite so condescending in your replies to people.

Hey if some people find it fun, then fine… I find it very very boring to fight vs bunkers and still wonder why they don’t at least go for some offense… In the past 2 weeks or so I’ve seen a lot more bunkers around and it’s making it so I just hit them a few times… see the result (or lack there of)… know we could endlessly fight 1v1… hold them there (since they sure as heck can’t kill anything that’s not a wet paper bag)… ask a team/guild mate and just 2v1 them.

They still die trying to hold points anyways.

They also fail while trying to take points. It gives the other team far too much time to respond.

That’s not very useful for the team.

That’s also not really all that much fun on my side and I still don’t really see how it’s fun for them either.

Sorry you find my text to be condescending…

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

jportell.2197

Say hello to the immortal mesmer… notice the killing of well guardians, eles, thieves, warriors, You were saying about they can’t kill anything short of a wet paper bag?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V6ASnuG8uI

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: deracs.1762

deracs.1762

So full bunkers are popular because quickly popping a stun breaker/tele/knockback/whatever to stop an initial burst is too hard even with a balanced set up? Ok… I can see that… sadly…

A lot of your argument is based on 1v1 with little else happening. Probably very true in sPvP. less true in WvW where AOE, culling, vulns from other players etc. all play a part. Reality is in WvW all to often when there are numbers of players around a thief can kill a non BB before they ever have a chance to see them let alone react.

in WvW

Posted by: renmei.3102

renmei.3102

Maybe this is related to the Omnomberry nerf, glass cannons can’t rely on it to endlessly regen health for them anymore to survive so they go more defensive.

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Say hello to the immortal mesmer… notice the killing of well guardians, eles, thieves, warriors, You were saying about they can’t kill anything short of a wet paper bag?

It’easy to see wich classes are favored by the devs…and,wich aren’t.

in WvW

Posted by: Telegraph.7509

Telegraph.7509

Aberrant.6749

Any build that a Kodan uses

in WvW

jportell.2197

Lol you kidding me right? We mesmers feel like freaking red headed step children… Sure they buffed the torch and mirror this patch. But the bugged out our GS #4. Bugged the buff to the torch fixed the bug but added a new bug and half of our combo finishers got destroyed in this patch. And none of it is in the patch notes? Favored by the devs? Every patch we get nerfed and ones where we get buffed there comes a long long list of bugs that nullify any buff they gave us… Shattered strength bug was cool but it was a bug that got hot fixed. How long til they fix the GS damage and our combo finishers? Mesmers have adapted to so many nerfs only matched by engineers and rangers…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Anzu.5702

Anzu.5702

Very true. Months ago when I leveled up my guard I built it primarily to be thief busters after being ganked and kited on my warrior by thieves. But now I have no problem with thieves (especially on my tanky guard) unless they do the usual gank you when fighting someone else or go the 3-5 method and gank you.

Xarvacious: Guardian | Xarvo: Engineer | Achiles Augustus: Warrior
[HIRE]
TC

in WvW

Chainspell.5697

Lol you kidding me right? We mesmers feel like freaking red headed step children… Sure they buffed the torch and mirror this patch. But the bugged out our GS #4. Bugged the buff to the torch fixed the bug but added a new bug and half of our combo finishers got destroyed in this patch. And none of it is in the patch notes? Favored by the devs? Every patch we get nerfed and ones where we get buffed there comes a long long list of bugs that nullify any buff they gave us… Shattered strength bug was cool but it was a bug that got hot fixed. How long til they fix the GS damage and our combo finishers? Mesmers have adapted to so many nerfs only matched by engineers and rangers…

Don’t forget Necro, out of all the chars I run into Necro seems to be a free kill for my Elementalist. Primarily because conditions are somewhat useless against a S/D or D/D Elementalist. I think we should think less of a nerf for Thief, Mesmer, Elementalist, Warriror, Guardian etc., and think more of a buff for Ranger, Necro, Engineer.