Stop with the siege despawning...Please

in WvW

Posted by: tichai.4351

tichai.4351

This is now getting ridiculous, siege is being placed and despawning, in some cases <10-15 minutes. This mechanic is totally unnecessary, siege is routinely destroyed by attackers and/or lightning strikes anyway. So why is it felt this is necessary?

An unspecified or apparent random timer on siege has to rank as one of the most annoying things in WvW and has no valid justification for being in the game that I can see.

So, I would be extremely grateful if this annoyance could be removed from an otherwise enjoyable game at your earliest convenience.

Scrub Guardian [CHvc]
Gunnar’s Hold www.gunnarshold.eu

in WvW

Posted by: Predator.7321

Predator.7321

This is now getting ridiculous, siege is being placed and despawning, in some cases <10-15 minutes. This mechanic is totally unnecessary, siege is routinely destroyed by attackers and/or lightning strikes anyway. So why is it felt this is necessary?

An unspecified or apparent random timer on siege has to rank as one of the most annoying things in WvW and has no valid justification for being in the game that I can see.

So, I would be extremely grateful if this annoyance could be removed from an otherwise enjoyable game at your earliest convenience.

1.It despawns in 30 minutes without ANY use
2.There is a limit of seige on a map I think it’s like 200
3. Might be balance issues idk

in WvW

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

This. Without despawn, someone can simply build 200 arrowcarts inside SM and bam, no more rams, trebs, catas or golems on map, enjoy assaulting full upgraded towers and keeps with bare hands.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in WvW

Posted by: Predator.7321

Predator.7321

This. Without despawn, someone can simply build 200 arrowcarts inside SM and bam, no more rams, trebs, catas or golems on map, enjoy assaulting full upgraded towers and keeps with bare hands.

Acutally Golems have no limit but I get what you mean

in WvW

Posted by: Toroth.1453

Toroth.1453

They have it so where you cant place too much siege on one wall already… I agree with the OP.

Paradoxical Clarity [DEGU]
-Sanctum of Rall-

in WvW

Posted by: kanikani.2430

kanikani.2430

I semi agree with the OP, I would like to see it lengthened and maybe more consistent. Some siege I places for training new people stayed open field for 10+ hours without being touched. Where are some disappeared in 15 min. Maybe make it consistently an hour, maybe two or three. I have been in defense that were longer then three hour, no reason your siege should despawn in a single defense. Or at least give us the odd rules you use for despawning so we can know.

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

If there is a cap on qty of siege, and you put no timer on, your will run into the other issue of despawning siege to lay new siege. And you cannot put that decision into a random option (it’s just a bad thought). Increasing the timer though, isn’t a terrible idea. I absolutely hate having to run around refreshing siege versus focusing on other elements. Like optimal positions of placement for defense, running supplies, and leaving enough room to ‘have’ fun. ie … take a camp/keep that you intend on flipping, but leaving a trademark’. We do it all the time if it’s deep and not supported.

It is one of those annoying things. 10 hours though is far too long. Take a sample of Friday night, where you get your respective keeps, flip towers and start building lines … 200 siege are laid very fast. Yes, many destroyed, but many not. and if your considering it as a solution to have siege laid at night and there when you wake up… that’s not an option. When you log, consider it lost, or donated to whomever picks up your torch, but the next morning you should be considering things ‘fresh’. Not every server has full coverage. But I do want to spend more time thinking about other things than building up 20-40 siege in a keep only to have to run around and touch them every now and then (not fun imo). Maybe up it to an hour or 2. Keeps and towers should be hit enough within that time frame while still keeping it personal and relevant.

Not even considering the ‘money sink’ aspect. That’s another balance that has to be considered when thinking of changing a refresh/despawn timer.

But i’ll /sign the note of it being an annoying part for wvw

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: Rhyis.7058

Rhyis.7058

In a perfect world, an infinite amount of siege would be able to stay up for an infinite amount of time. But we’re not so lucky. Tech issues and such.

in WvW

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

I think seige should be usable by all servers, if you take a fort and leave your flame rams at the door its your own fault for not defending and allowing “x” server to use your rams to take it or take it back. < with this should be the option to break down a seige weapon and put it back in your bag.

in WvW

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

If you want siege to be available forever, you must go around the map and “Use” the siege before the 30 minute despawn timer is up. Anyone using a piece of siege resets the 30 minute timer.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in WvW

Posted by: IcomeINpeace.2085

IcomeINpeace.2085

being able to destroy our own would promote griefing/sabotage

IcomeINpeace [DERP]

in WvW

Posted by: ktith.6197

ktith.6197

I’ve seen trebs despawn after 30 mins, but everything I’ve placed down since 3 weeks ago that isn’t a treb stays all night without anyone using it. So either it’s a bug that it’s despawning or its a bug that it’s staying up.

Cmdr. Xandria Wolfkin
[RED] Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I’ve seen trebs despawn after 30 mins, but everything I’ve placed down since 3 weeks ago that isn’t a treb stays all night without anyone using it. So either it’s a bug that it’s despawning or its a bug that it’s staying up.

Or you don’t see the people pressing the F key.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in WvW

Posted by: Besetment.9187

Besetment.9187

being able to destroy our own would promote griefing/sabotage

You can grief/sabotage anyway by building a bunch of flame rams on a keep wall and running into the local limit.

in WvW

Posted by: pigtaro.2749

pigtaro.2749

first thing: if the siege is going to be despawned, then at least show a counter on e siege so we know when to ‘touch’ it to reset e timer.

second thing: number of sieges allowable should be based on e towers, keeps or castle controlled by e server. the more areas being controlled, the more sieges the server can build.

in WvW

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

at OP, imagine a troll putting 200 arrowcarts in one place and his enemys smart enough not to touch them… no more sieges for you that week.

then you will see some real rage on this forum.

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

in WvW

Posted by: tichai.4351

tichai.4351

To put this into context, During the upgrade to Shadaran Hills in our own borderland I placed 2 catapaults, 2 ballistae and 6 arrowcarts on top of the 2 arrowcarts already in place, hardly excessive for a large keep.

We then proceeded to lowlands supply camp, the cap took a couple of minutes, on returning to hills to do the usual ‘tagging’ of siege, it had all disappeared.

Several hours later I placed a similar amount of siege in Hills but this time it stayed around????

What I would like is an official statement on exactly how this mechanic works and why does the despawning appear to be totally random?

I can fully understand the need for a map-wide limit or even a tower/keep limit, but again, if there are ‘unofficial’ limits to the number of siege allowed on a map, why is there also a need for it to despawn? Indeed, if that was the case it would mean people would have to be a bit more thoughtful on their placement of siege rather than throwing it around randomly?

Again, it comes down to a lack of official information on exactly how this is supposed to work.

Scrub Guardian [CHvc]
Gunnar’s Hold www.gunnarshold.eu

in WvW

Posted by: Littlefeather.8623

Littlefeather.8623

DB was fully decked out, held for about 6-7 hours tonight. I also noticed one of the trebs I set at north gate disapered after about a 15-20 min food break, I did refresh all the seige prior to my break too. I had to set up another one. My point is, whats with the inconsistency on this? Im with them.

Also, on a sidenote, did the quaggan thunderstorms get nerfed? I remember it only took two rotations for them to take out trebs off in the distance, but after 3 rotations, their trebs still stood…

Crazy Leg

in WvW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

This is why there is despawn timers.

in WvW

Posted by: iiMulch.2138

iiMulch.2138

Who would build 200 arrow carts just to prevent his team from building anymore siege? This despawn is totaly unnecessary.

in WvW

Posted by: Stephapanda.5804

Stephapanda.5804

Who would build 200 arrow carts just to prevent his team from building anymore siege?

You’d be surprised.

in WvW

kanikani.2430

Or you don’t see the people pressing the F key.

I do siege training in the corner of the map where there is nothing, no keep/tower/supply camp, just mobs, enemies don’t even go there, no point/objectives. These siege, specifically ballistas and catapults have stayed up for over 10 hours. I guarantee they were not refreshed every 30 min. I think all timers are bugged at this time. Is that really a surprise though, Anet is not the best about talking about or fixing bugs.

A timer on the actual siege would be ideal. A official statement on the rules of it would be great to.

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: TxJBxT.9370

TxJBxT.9370

Who would build 200 arrow carts just to prevent his team from building anymore siege?

You’d be surprised.

I’d be surprised to actually see that happen. Whoever would do it I’m sure would get a ban. Be realistic here.

in WvW

Posted by: Windmoor.9834

Windmoor.9834

I could totally see someone placing 200 siege so the server would be locked out for the week. Even with the 7 day transfers, there are still spies on opposing servers.

As for my opinion on the timers; I totally agree its way too short as it stands. 2 hours would be a nice standard. If you log in and wanna do some WvW; You can have the peace of mind that the siege you dropped should remain till your done. And your not locked into staying in one area just to refresh your treb.

Timers are needed though. If there was no timer, and no limits, the fields would be lined up with ACs and balistas. Row after row of nothing but siege would make it hell to move around the field.

Don’t fear the unknown, CONQUER IT!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

I just want some sort of visible timer or indicator when a siege weapon will despawn.

Maybe devs can leverage the necro second health bar code for this purpose, and put a grey bar on all unused siege that slowly ticks down. Another way is to apply an ‘unused’ buff to siege with a visible timer on the buff.

Consistancy and ability to know when things are despawning will help.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

I just want some sort of visible timer or indicator when a siege weapon will despawn.

Maybe devs can leverage the necro second health bar code for this purpose, and put a grey bar on all unused siege that slowly ticks down. Another way is to apply an ‘unused’ buff to siege with a visible timer on the buff.

Consistancy and ability to know when things are despawning will help.

Or just stick a buff on it with a timer, although that might clue the enemy in.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in WvW

ktith.6197

They could easily make the buff only visible to allies. But yes, what I was saying earlier was that I’ve literally put siege down that has been there for days, but not trebs…they pop regardless of time set. I’ve also noticed that siege that is placed in places that the terrain doesn’t like will also pop.

Cmdr. Xandria Wolfkin
[RED] Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

I really dont mind if the enemy knows the timer, because they dont know when or if ill reset it. Sure it gives them a ‘little’ more information, but the amount of info it gives me is far more worthwhile.

Also a way to despawn your own placed siege would be nice.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

Siege limit is one area, not the whole map. De-spawning siege is required to stop night capping guilds capturing the whole map, upgrading and setting up siege for prime time users to use.

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

in WvW

ktith.6197

I know this is a siege thread but would be also nice besides despawning your own siege and maybe even for a partial return on supplies, would be being able to deposit supplies into a tower or keep main supply pad. Or, even when despawning your own siege maybe possibly allowing those proposed partial return to go directly into the tower or keep’s main supply. That’d be nice or even interesting.

Cmdr. Xandria Wolfkin
[RED] Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: GavinGoodrich.1382

GavinGoodrich.1382

Nobody else thought the forest of siege was hilarious? I laughed…looked down at my plate, then looked back up and saw it and almost spit potatoes…at the forest.

NomNomNomNomNom
Resident Zerg Idiot
Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Lightvision.9357

Lightvision.9357

Siege limit is one area, not the whole map. De-spawning siege is required to stop night capping guilds capturing the whole map, upgrading and setting up siege for prime time users to use.

its map wide, it happened to SFR a couple weeks ago in EB, could not place a ram at durious, could not place a ram at bravost, could not place a ram at quentin, could not place a ram at wildcreek, anzalias or kloven.

we had like 150 siege in SM and 50 in overlook. i left the map coz i could not take anything except durious coz of trebs, at least overlook and SM was safe.

in WvW

ktith.6197

I know a tier that puts those down for tombstones….for fun and stuff.

Cmdr. Xandria Wolfkin
[RED] Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I know a tier that puts those down for tombstones….for fun and stuff.

I do this too.

Every thief/mesmer that abuses stealth gets a flame ram placed on their corpse.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

this is a first. i actually agree with ever single one of the suggestions in this thread

increase the siege timer? very much yes
a visible, uniform timer on siege? very much yes
being able to break siege down? as long as it’s only the person who originally placed it, yes.
being able to deposit supplies? yep, this one too.

i’d also like to add to make sure that unfinished siege keeps its fairly short despawn timer. that would prevent people from plopping down a ton of rams somewhere to eat up the siege limit. with the deconstruction, have them be able to salvage 50% or even 75% of the supplies used to build it, with a 10-25% chance of being able to get the blueprint back. for the siege timer, a buff would probably be the easiest way to go, and would be extremely helpful to the owners. for the actual amount of time, 2 hours seems to be a good amount of time.

short timers make them less worth setting up ahead of time, because then someone has to stand there bored out of their skull until someone decides to show up, or the siege just plain never gets set up because it’s a waste of resources. too long, and night cappers can take over a map, and set up a ton for the morning crew. the key is to find out how long an average keep siege lasts (an actual siege, not a 50 man zerg PvDoor siege. one with actual defenders.) and make the despawn timer a short amount of time beyond that. say, 10 minutes extra, so people can have enough time to run back to wherever they were pulled out of when the defense needed reinforcements.

the thing is, though, all of the pieces of this puzzle would need to be put into place to ensure that it’s a working system. put in just one, and the puzzle is an incomplete mess.

in WvW

Posted by: hobbes.6178

hobbes.6178

I semi agree with the OP, I would like to see it lengthened and maybe more consistent. Some siege I places for training new people stayed open field for 10+ hours without being touched. Where are some disappeared in 15 min. Maybe make it consistently an hour, maybe two or three. I have been in defense that were longer then three hour, no reason your siege should despawn in a single defense. Or at least give us the odd rules you use for despawning so we can know.

That arrow cart was not there for 10 hours, sorry bud, people touched it.

in WvW

kanikani.2430

That arrow cart was not there for 10 hours, sorry bud, people touched it.

And your proof is…..? I have witnessed these things with my own eyes, why would you dispute that and why would I lie about it? To gain? Anet has never bugged anything?

Many people have seen this were have been talking more about it server wide actually seems to be a recent patch issue. Other people in this thread have experience the same. Try it yourself.

Why come in a thread to dispute something you have no clue about other then to be a jerk?

*Added for a image of where I place siege for training. People are running by refreshing this every 30 min or less for over 10 hours in the middle of the night when there are only 5 people on the map?

Attachments:

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma