The importance of Combos, not the snack.

in WvW

Posted by: Parktou.4263

Parktou.4263

So I figured I’d make this sorta guide because 99% of people seem to be clueless to combo fields and finishers, which makes me go what the %#@^!!! So, here’s a list of what combo finisher does what in each combo field. ET please read this!!!!!! >.<

Fire Field:
Leap- Grants you a fire aura(it burns anyone that attacks you)
Blast-Grants 3 stacks of might to 5 players including you in the area
Physical projectile-apply 1 sec of burning on the target you hit
Whirl-launches multiple projectiles that apply burning(1s)

Water Field:
Leap-decent Heal(2k or so)
Blast-Area Healing to 5 including yourself
Projectile-Apply regeneration to yourself for 2s
Whirl-launches healing bolts

Dark Field:
Leap-apply blindness on hit
Blast-area blindness
Projectile-Steal health with next hit(damage is based on you)
Whirl-Leeching bolts

Light Field:
Leap-grant retaliation to yourself for 5s
Blast-aoe retaliation for 3 secs
Projectile-remove a condition on hit
Whirl-cleansing bolts(remove multiple conditions)

Ethereal Field:
Leap-grant yourself Chaos Armor for 5s
Blast-aoe chaos armor for 3s
Projectile-apply confusion(5s) on hit
Whirl-confusing bolts(5s)

Ice Field:
Leap-Grant yourself Frost armor(5s)
Blast-aoe Frost armor 3s
Projectile-apply chill on hit
Whirl-chilling bolts

Poison Field:
Leap-weakness(8s) on hit
Blast-area weakness 5s
Projectile-apply poison (2s)
Whirl-poison bolts

Smoke Field:
Leap-grant stealth(3s)
Blast-aoe stealth 3s
Projectile-apply blind on hit
Whirl-blinding bolts

Lightning Field:
Leap-Dazing strike
Blast-aoe Swiftness
Projectile-apply vulnerability on hit
Whirl-Brutal bolts(honestly I’m not sure what these do, I think they apply vuln but I’m not 100%)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

Or you can just go here and get much more information than I’m willing to give you, and if you land a finisher in a combo field you will almost always hear your character say something confirming a combo was made. How people can play without using combos is absolutely beyond me, your going to be missing out on ~50% of your efficiency in a fight if you don’t use them people!!!!!

Shocking Shorty-Asura Tempest | Magnificent Mike-Troll Warrior | Lockpick Louie- Human Daredevil
Fabio Feline- Charr DH | Viktor Virtuoso-Norn Reaper | Pocket Prestige-Asura Chrono
Killer Kasserole-Plant Druid | Frankie Feline-Cat Scrapper | Felix Feline-Charr Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Metamega.9025

Metamega.9025

I know what you mean. I play a thief and if my team mates throw those girls out ill spam my bows blast finisher all day( its so boring though) but man watching everyone around get a perk from it is awesome. The good players know whrn to stack on me. Like if yiu see a thief spamming cluster bombs in a rangers healing spring, get in it, it heals so fast.

in WvW

Posted by: Floofs.3574

Floofs.3574

I always preferred goldfish or bugles honestly, I can blast finish those things all day.

Gurrrrrlllllll- The red-haired Sylvari Mesmer you keep killing.

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

You should add in that the last combo field cast, is the active one in a stack. So if your commander wants you to stack might, don’t drop any combo field other then fire or you’ll screw up the might stacking for your entire zerg.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in WvW

Parktou.4263

I always preferred goldfish or bugles honestly, I can blast finish those things all day.

ooohh guuuuurrrlll you know I love me some Bugles hahaha ;D

@Dual
Just want people to know about these things and use them, you can always organize it later. I see too many people that don’t even realize their abilities are finisher/fields….. it really makes a guy go all sad panda ya know? :

Shocking Shorty-Asura Tempest | Magnificent Mike-Troll Warrior | Lockpick Louie- Human Daredevil
Fabio Feline- Charr DH | Viktor Virtuoso-Norn Reaper | Pocket Prestige-Asura Chrono
Killer Kasserole-Plant Druid | Frankie Feline-Cat Scrapper | Felix Feline-Charr Herald

in WvW

Posted by: SniffyCube.6107

SniffyCube.6107

these are all on the wiki

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

Posted by: luwe.1496

luwe.1496

I love to eat Combos with soda.

in WvW

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Combos give the thief awesome team support.

The blast AoE’s from Cluster Bomb are so helpful to a team.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in WvW

Parktou.4263

That’s why I put the link in there. By the way, best of luck to you guys on your new server, Sea of Sorrows was it? I gotta know, did people give you guys as much trouble as they did Flappy and BC when they left? Anyways, good luck Sniffy.

in WvW

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

:( i just started making this exact thing and there you go and 1-up me

in WvW

SniffyCube.6107

That’s why I put the link in there. By the way, best of luck to you guys on your new server, Sea of Sorrows was it? I gotta know, did people give you guys as much trouble as they did Flappy and BC when they left? Anyways, good luck Sniffy.

Nah we moved to crystal desert… I’d never forgive myself if I moved to a green server :p

As far as the trouble goes, things were pretty civil. We didn’t want to really slam on ET or make any kind of attention grab / spectacle of ourselves on the forums. The majority of people there, like yourself, are very cool individuals who will be missed.

Server is treating us very well.

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

Arganthium.5638

Nah we moved to crystal desert… I’d never forgive myself if I moved to a green server :p

As far as the trouble goes, things were pretty civil. We didn’t want to really slam on ET or make any kind of attention grab / spectacle of ourselves on the forums. The majority of people there, like yourself, are very cool individuals who will be missed.

Server is treating us very well.

/sighs

Later, y’all. Just another reason I won’t play WvW again. I can’t blame you, though; our forces have just become so weak, we can’t pull anything together any more and we continuously get crushed by the other servers every week.

And hey, at least you didn’t pull an [Agg]…

… I don’t think they were very happy when I called them out on what they did, which, IMO, was hugely demoralizing and seemed to be more like a recruitment pickup rather than an actual commitment to the server.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in WvW

SniffyCube.6107

Just wasn’t in the cards and things became a bit toxic for us to the point where people didn’t want to go into wvw anymore and were being burnt out. Gotta do what’s right for the guild and all. But anyway, I’ll be pulling for you!

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I’m still clueless. Can someone draw me pictures?

in WvW

Arganthium.5638

Just wasn’t in the cards and things became a bit toxic for us to the point where people didn’t want to go into wvw anymore and were being burnt out. Gotta do what’s right for the guild and all. But anyway, I’ll be pulling for you!

Yeah, I understand that. It’s unfortunate for ET that we’ve been doing so poorly in general, but on the bright side, it has brought me over to tPvP.

Actually, I just salvaged my WvW gear today. I don’t think I’ll be going back any time soon, anyways. Still have a backup magic find gear set if I ever want to farm, though.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in WvW

Posted by: Rastaman.9015

Rastaman.9015

I know what you mean. I play a thief and if my team mates throw those girls out ill spam my bows blast finisher all day( its so boring though) but man watching everyone around get a perk from it is awesome. The good players know whrn to stack on me. Like if yiu see a thief spamming cluster bombs in a rangers healing spring, get in it, it heals so fast.

You and I both mate; glad to see other people know the potential of the thief.

The class master. I enjoy all of the professions.

in WvW

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Everything you need to know about combos in wvw:

-Blast+Fire = Might aoe
-Blast+Water = Heal aoe
-Blast+Static = Swiftness aoe

Everything else is secondary, even if situationally can be good (whirl+light = cond removal, blast + light= retal aoe).

Also, when you’re regrouping to do combos only that specific kind onf field must be laid.

In other words, To all guardians around, STOP using symbols when ppl try to buff up.

When you get aoe retal instead of 2 min swiftness because a guard laid down a symbol while ppl blast a static field, it’s incredibly annoying.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Awesome list! Now….. what button do I push for them?

Anyone else think the Dev’s got a little carried away with having 36 of them?
<—- Over tired Staff Ele wishing for more pew pew at times.
Job description: water fountain, jockey, nanny

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

You all are lucky to have good finisher and field…

With my necro, all I can do is poison/darkness field, that can’t be stacked before a fight, and even during a fight “WoW AoE weakness everyone back the fudge up!”

We also get the shaft with finisher.

Flesh Worm? Yeah because everyone use Flesh worm as a blast finisher, not like it’s our escape mecanism.

Putrid Mark? So powerful, situational and on a long cooldown, you don’t want to use it before you need it, so can’t really time it with a field. You also need an enemy to detonate it, so no prefight stacking.

Bones Minions? Yeah necro pet, the AI is so utterly bad in WvW nobodies use them. The only blast you can use prefight, yet you waste an utility. During a fight, their AI is so freeaked up that you won’t be able to aim a field, especially with both of them. They will be dead anyway.

Rest are our staff projectile and minions projectil. Minions projectil are good, but they suck in WvW. Nobodies use staff to auto attack people, as it prolly the worse auto attack in the game because it doesn’t track target.

I had to rant, sorry about that.

Would have loved my necro to be able to pull some cool combo like my Elem or my Engi.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in WvW

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

With my necro, all I can do is poison/darkness field, that can’t be stacked before a fight, and even during a fight “WoW AoE weakness everyone back the fudge up!”

Flesh Worm? Yeah because everyone use Flesh worm as a blast finisher, not like it’s our escape mecanism.

Putrid Mark? So powerful, situational and on a long cooldown, you don’t want to use it before you need it, so can’t really time it with a field. You also need an enemy to detonate it, so no prefight stacking.

Bones Minions? Yeah necro pet, the AI is so utterly bad in WvW nobodies use them. The only blast you can use prefight, yet you waste an utility. During a fight, their AI is so freeaked up that you won’t be able to aim a field, especially with both of them. They will be dead anyway.

Rest are our staff projectile and minions projectil. Minions projectil are good, but they suck in WvW. Nobodies use staff to auto attack people, as it prolly the worse auto attack in the game because it doesn’t track target.

Would have loved my necro to be able to pull some cool combo like my Elem or my Engi.

Well of Blood + Projectile Finishers = Cure All The Conditions!

Chillblains or CPC + Bad Staff Autoattack = Piercing Poison Stacking Autoattack

Just a couple. People constantly write off Projectile Finishers as bad, but some of them are quite potent.

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

Everything you need to know about combos in wvw:

-Blast+Fire = Might aoe
-Blast+Water = Heal aoe
-Blast+Static = Swiftness aoe

Everything else is secondary, even if situationally can be good (whirl+light = cond removal, blast + light= retal aoe).

Also, when you’re regrouping to do combos only that specific kind onf field must be laid.

In other words, To all guardians around, STOP using symbols when ppl try to buff up.

When you get aoe retal instead of 2 min swiftness because a guard laid down a symbol while ppl blast a static field, it’s incredibly annoying.

SO MUCH THIS!!!

I’ve been calling out for fields in the Southsun Cove Instigator farming so that I can cluster bomb the mess out of them. I’m hopefull it’s leaving an impression but I fear all the PvE guesters are getting more of an education than our ET folks.

Thanks for your effort in posting this Parktou and thank you too AndrewSX for distilling it down. +1 to both of you.

in WvW

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

Well of Blood + Projectile Finishers = Cure All The Conditions!

Chillblains or CPC + Bad Staff Autoattack = Piercing Poison Stacking Autoattack

Just a couple. People constantly write off Projectile Finishers as bad, but some of them are quite potent.

Light projectile combo doesn’t cure your condition, well it doesn’t in sPvP and I don’t think it does in WvW ether. It only cure condition from allies near the impact. So it’s not as useful as it looks.

And projectile finishers are good, just staff is mediocre.

The fact that any moving target can just run in circle and make every staff missile miss doesn’t help for the finisher.

I rarely ever auto attack in my rotation with my staff auto, only if my DS and weapon swap is on cooldown.

Also, it’s only 20% proc chance, don’t forget that. And it’s our only self projectile finisher. Others are on pets, useless in WvW.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in WvW

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

You dont need to remember all. Blast + any field = GG.

Other ? Usually become a combo due to “accident”.

in WvW

Parktou.4263

:( i just started making this exact thing and there you go and 1-up me

:D great minds?

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

When you stack up and buff before a fight, you not only waste half the buff duration but also give your opponent time to reposition. We love seeing pre-buffers, count to six then enjoy easy mode with opponents stuff on cool down.

in WvW

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

When you stack up and buff before a fight, you not only waste half the buff duration but also give your opponent time to reposition. We love seeing pre-buffers, count to six then enjoy easy mode with opponents stuff on cool down.

That is the best time to push into a group… in the lower tiers they “ok, lets stack up, fire field” take at least 12-15 seconds to do it, rather than doing it on the run. A bad stack is a good bag delivery system.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

in WvW

Posted by: Wotah.2975

Wotah.2975

I’m still clueless. Can someone draw me pictures?

You want pictures?! -

[img]http://gw2.junkiesnation.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2012/03/Guild-Wars-2-GW2-Primer-Combo-Infograph-b.jpg[/img]

Wotah, Brutaler [SICK]/[SG]
Plague/Shadow Gypsies
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

When you’re fighting zerg vs zerg, fire fields/blast finish imo is quite possibly the worst thing you can do. Your opponent has time to crash you and break your formation and since you’re on a stack a good AOE bomb will trash your zerg so fast it wouldn’t be funny. The best thing for you is to keep moving. If your group stays tight and can draw the other group apart you can then crash them to separate them and destroy the remaining pieces.

One of my favorite types of moves is something I call the “Meteor Strike” and actually doesn’t use combo fields at all. Most opponents get wrapped up in whatever objective they’re after that if I know they’re there i do a quick stack away from them out of sight, pop speed boosts and have guardians and eles smash into them dropping the static fields, rings of warding, sanctuaries and lines of warding. The rest of the group follows in with an aoe bomb to form the meteor impact and shatter the enemy formation. Anything in the crater is demolished while we can mop up the remaining forces. I use a guardian commander so i’m forming the initial impact.

During the aoe bomb we can be assured all kinds of combo fields are up. This makes a perfect time for finishing moves. Blast finishers are particularly effective here:
Fire – aoe might
Water -heals
Light – aoe retaliation
dark – aoe blind
Etherial -aoe chaos armor
ice – aoe ice armor
lightning – aoe swiftness
smoke -aoe stealth (useless imo)

Don’t underestimate the power of blasting dark fields. Those blinds mitigate so much damage it’s stupid. Combine with aoe retaliation and the enemy melts themselves.

Little red Lioka

in WvW

Posted by: Jyeoi.6027

Jyeoi.6027

That is the best time to push into a group… in the lower tiers they “ok, lets stack up, fire field” take at least 12-15 seconds to do it, rather than doing it on the run. A bad stack is a good bag delivery system.

Hahaha exactly. Stacking for buffs is outdated tactics. You invite the opposition to mass cc you, spike aoe and turn you all into loot bags.

Yulo – Champions of Stormbluff [SBI]

in WvW

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

So I figured I’d make this sorta guide because 99% of people seem to be clueless to combo fields and finishers, which makes me go what the %#@^!!! So, here’s a list of what combo finisher does what in each combo field. ET please read this!!!!!! >.<

……
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

……

when i read for the first time the wiki ….i really confused , because the combo system
in gw2 is very childish and need not skill at all to do it ( i wanted something more from a combo system ) and unfortunately there is no info in wiki or skill description about cancellations of boons .

we have a paradox in gw2 openfield pvp system ( www ) . the very small range of boons area that drive zergs to stack together in blobs ( most of the times are purgs blobs ) and the cancellation of boons because a random guy just want to play with his skills….

this is paradox like the announce from our “innocent” devs that said that they dont know how to make the www less laggy ….

so devs …the solution is very easy . make the boon area really wide ( after that there is no excuse for blobs and laggy fights ) and remove the cancellations of boons in the people inside parties. when someone is inside a party he will affect only from the boons from his party players

perhaps i am very wrong , but i am sure the existent system is very wrong and most of all LAGGY too !!!

(edited by Reborn.2934)

in WvW

Parktou.4263

Glad to see some people actually discussing this. Keep it up please. All I wanted to do is enlighten people that combo fields/finishers were there and that they can be extremely useful in combat. Too many people, especially down here at the bottom of the barrel, don’t know about these things for some reason.

in WvW

Posted by: Cyphel.3659

Cyphel.3659

Perhaps they don’t use it, because from in-game it is not very intuitive to learn. Also depends what class you are to some extent…

Blast finishers are easy and good to start with. I started the game as necro, which is a bit sparse on those, and didn’t really “get” combos until I played a guardian (hamma #2!) and read the wiki tables and charts.

ET does need to read this though. If the zerg is on the move, how many hammer guardians do I see ignoring a static field…doesn’t matter what level you are, a lvl 2 can contribute here..haha

in WvW

Posted by: Serval.6458

Serval.6458

Doesn’t the fire shield now grant might when people hit you?

Edit: The wiki says it does both.

in WvW

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

Perhaps they don’t use it, because from in-game it is not very intuitive to learn. Also depends what class you are to some extent…

Blast finishers are easy and good to start with. I started the game as necro, which is a bit sparse on those, and didn’t really “get” combos until I played a guardian (hamma #2!) and read the wiki tables and charts.

ET does need to read this though. If the zerg is on the move, how many hammer guardians do I see ignoring a static field…doesn’t matter what level you are, a lvl 2 can contribute here..haha

OMG I know your pain!

Large battle with lots of people taking damage.

Drops 2 Water fields to cover as many as possible.

Nobody splashes them….ever.

I ran with a Warrior once that thought Water fields were the most amazing thing he’d ever seen! I swear he’d Leap/Blast/Whirl finish every single one. Apparently getting free cleanses and heals is a pretty big deal on warriors.

in WvW

Posted by: Cyphel.3659

Cyphel.3659

blah

OMG I know your pain!

Large battle with lots of people taking damage.

Drops 2 Water fields to cover as many as possible.

Nobody splashes them….ever.

I ran with a Warrior once that thought Water fields were the most amazing thing he’d ever seen! I swear he’d Leap/Blast/Whirl finish every single one. Apparently getting free cleanses and heals is a pretty big deal on warriors.

Water fields are totally the best – having lots of fun on my new ele with all the fields and blast finishers !

omgerd World vs World Waterpark

Come on you guys, get in the pool~

in WvW

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Hahaha exactly. Stacking for buffs is outdated tactics. You invite the opposition to mass cc you, spike aoe and turn you all into loot bags.

Well, you obviously want to be clever when using combos, because they rely on a field on the ground, which means you’re locked in a tigh area.

Example:
-zerg vs zerg in open field (and close to each other) = bad.
-breakout to disperse a zerg ramming your gate (buff behind gate, veil on port, rush trough it and smash ppl on the other side) = good.

Manly, it’s all down to chosing the right place and timing (which means usually how good your commander is). It’s always situational.
Oh, and execution speed matters too.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

Yes in regards to my previous post i won’t stack for buffs open field. I will do it behind a wall or where the enemy doesn’t expect my ambush to give the ambush extra power. It’s definitely situational. You also can’t do buffs too far away from the enemy because they’ll fade by the time you engage and you simply wasted your time at that point. Time which could be used to take advantage of broken enemy position.

Little red Lioka