WvW Player Limits?

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

I understand there is a limit on the players in WvW ? If so, is there any limit on number of players per team (red, blue, green)? How does Anet insure then number of players for each team is equal or does it?

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: multivira.7925

multivira.7925

There is a maximum amount of players per borderland per server. So say the limit is 100 from each side, that means if server A has 1000 players wanting to play, server B has 400 and server C has 200 and assuming they all try and distribute their numbers equally the distribution will be as follows for each borderlands:
server A: 100 in and 150 in queue
server B: 100 in and 0 in queue
server C: 50 in and 0 in queue

or possibly server C maxes out two borderlands and just gives up the other 2.

The limit of 100 per borderland is just an example as Anet generally doesn’t release these sorts of numbers as they continually tweak them as time goes on and they don’t want people holding em to these numbers.

The only time numbers will be equal is generally when all servers have a queue for a borderland (or through extreme luck where servers just happen to get the same amount of people in)

Twirling – Pie Eating Guardian – MM – Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by multivira.7925)

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I believe, since no recent data has been given on map populations, that Arenanet uses an inverse scale to balance each tier. Meaning it’s not a flat rate of 100. That Red would have the highest population per map. Followed by Blue with slightly less. Then Green having even fewer than blue.

Every update has been about balancing, balancing, and more balancing. Thus, how could we not expect this same when it comes to map population? Arenant could quell such beliefs by providing us simple answers to such simple questions.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Sola.7250

Not sure I understand, why would Red be allowed to have more players on a server then Blue or Green? Seems like who ever has the most players logged in wins! If Red players stayed logged in, sooner or later they would just out number Blue and Green and take over a server? Where’s the balance in that scheme?

(edited by Sola.7250)

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Next

Without giving out specifics, there is the same number of slots available to each team of a match, per map.

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

Are the numbers the same for borderlands and EB?
I understand ‘no specific numbers’, so if the number of slots per team for EB is X, is it X for the borderlands as well?

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Urrid.4593

Urrid.4593

Is the limit a set limit or a range based on available server resources? Also, why are details not released?

At launch I believe the number 150 people per server per map was kicked around, but from on the ground experience it feels like more like 80-100 these days.

Coral -Mesmer- Omnomnivore and TC’er.

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

DeWolfe.2174

Grrrr…. Devon, you are one hard nut to crack! :-) lol
I hope they give you the big bucks for handling all of us.

The funny thing is, on any map we could just all line up and count.
Problem solved

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

Previous

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Grrrr…. Devon, you are one hard nut to crack! :-) lol
I hope they give you the big bucks for handling all of us.

The funny thing is, on any map we could just all line up and count.
Problem solved

The bucks I receive are the same size as all the rest. If they started paying me in oversized dollars, I’d start to get suspicious. Feel free to line up and count, but I’ll neither confirm nor deny any numbers you might get, correct or not. Mwahahaha!!

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

DeWolfe.2174

^ Too Funny!!!! :-) hahaha

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Sola.7250

Without giving out specifics, there is the same number of slots available to each team of a match, per map.

I’m not sure what you mean by a match in WvW? 100 player limit works out to 33 players per Red, Green, Blue teams and I’ve seen more than 33 players on a team.

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Revans.2018

Revans.2018

Devon, could you at least tell us of the numbers change in size? Does the maximum number of players per server per map ever change?

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Basedgod.7328

Basedgod.7328

Just a guess:

They wont reveal the exact player limits because I actually believe the limits fluctuate. Since the BLs seem to be tied to a shared server cluster with other servers; hence why you’ll see yourself or a friend in a contact list or guild roster appearing on a server that is not their/your own.

Funniest Ele NA
[coVn] Witches I Chaotic Good
Fort Aspenwood

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Just a guess:

They wont reveal the exact player limits because I actually believe the limits fluctuate. Since the BLs seem to be tied to a shared server cluster with other servers; hence why you’ll see yourself or a friend in a contact list or guild roster appearing on a server that is not their/your own.

According to this video presentation ANet did prior to launch, all of WvW (not just the BLs) is hosted on a shared server cluster comprised of all of the servers, and capacity is dynamically allocated and adjusted to meet demand in any particular tier. In my opinion, that’s why ALL of us can at one point or other experience skill lag no matter which tier we are in. If the system decides to pull more capacity into a Tier 1 fight, that capacity is temporarily unavailable to anyone. It takes a bit of time to get reallocated, it takes a bit of time to actually get used, and it probably takes a bit of time for all tiers to adjust to the new allocation … possibly even again when the capacity is given back.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180776/Video_Guild_Wars_2s_programming_tricks_revealed.php#.UTPsClded4M

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

Well they said 500 players per map total in beta,

And recently a dev said that its been adjusted down from that as they could not handle it and regretted stating the 500 player number so would not release specifics.

So all we do know is that its less than 500 total players per map. So each faction is less than 166 players, quite a bit less by the sound of the devs post but thats just speculation.

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i do believe it is 100 per server per map…. means each side get to field at max 100 person per map, and it applies to all borderlands and EB.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Wemil.7052

Wemil.7052

make a super event in borderlands gather all players and count them up then post in forum<3

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

The lack of transparency regarding these numbers is concerning. And as for the reasoning that these numbers change all the time. They have a launcher that can link to patch notes as well as a dev section with updates. There is really no good reason for this to be secret.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

WvW is broken until Anet invests into some more powerful servers. NOt enough money anet? betterinvest in your company, or you will be in trouble when the games come out that do invest.

You log in, get skill lag = minor problefm
you log in, get skill lag+ yo-yoing at the doors + 30 second delay in movement – major problem
Anet not buying better servers = inane problem

(edited by Gryph.8237)

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Sunspots.9861

Sunspots.9861

The reason they don’t want to give exact numbers is because its subject to change much like they did a month ago to try to ease some skill lag. By not giving exact numbers they have more flexibility.

Auburn Skies – Retired- Ranger of [PiNK]
When wvw was still fun feat. [PiNK]

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Laii.2780

Laii.2780

I always assumed it was jus 100 players per side, sos 300 players per map~

And considering all 4 maps are really just one big map, and if every side has a que, that’s 1200+ people all fighting at once^^,.
The only annoying thing, is when you squeeze 200-300 people into the Stonemist Lord room for a 3 way fight, everywhere lags, even in the borderlands. SM battles are always lag city, and it can be felt everywhere >~<. ATleast the game prioritizes your weapon skills + heal over utilities and elites ; ;

[CERN] ~ WAR/Necro^ O ^)/!

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Bump/Necroing this because it’s an ongoing question which was raised on my server multiple times today.

• Is this still the case?
  • I never believed it to be true even when the above statement was made, are Arenanet absolutely certain that this is the case and there aren’t bugs or basic mathematics problems with regard to this?
  • Why can Arenanet not give out specifics of how many slots there are per side per map?
Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

What would be interesting data to analyze would be … the # of players in queue where they come from.

Let’s say that a map holds a limit of 100, until the server reallocates or adjust that number … and the 3 servers have 100 per (let’s even say this is reset and every BL is queued)

Just how many of those in queue are from players outside of the WvW maps versus players who are sitting within another map queueing for another map.

It would be interesting to see how many players are busy queueing between maps, like BL’s and the infamous EBG. Versus the players who are trying to queue into WvW.

The max capacity per map has been adjusted a few times over the years. It waas high, then when the lag issues got real bad, it was reduced I believe to 66 per server per map, until some work was done, and then slightly raised again.

Either way I’m sure there are many interesting data sets to analyze or take into consideration when making decisions. I like data.

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Bump/Necroing this because it’s an ongoing question which was raised on my server multiple times today.

• Is this still the case?
  • I never believed it to be true even when the above statement was made, are Arenanet absolutely certain that this is the case and there aren’t bugs or basic mathematics problems with regard to this?
  • Why can Arenanet not give out specifics of how many slots there are per side per map?

On 1 I doubt its changed.

On 2 I don’t see why anet wouldn’t want equal numbers per server, that is completely fair, however there were exploits available to get players in to full maps that I know for certain some servers used. I’m not even sure if the bug that enabled the exploit was ever fixed.

On 3 anet have always had a distinct lack of transparency with these sort of details, maybe they think it could be gamed.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

WvW Player Limits?

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What would be interesting data to analyze would be … the # of players in queue where they come from.

The easiest test any of us have access to at the moment is from those on linked servers. When there’s a queue, get on voice with someone on your linked world(s). For as long as you can stand, make a note of the queues from each world to the same maps.

• If each world has its own limit, the queues should rarely be identical.

It’s improbable that, at any given moment, both (or all three/four) worlds have exactly the same number of people trying to get into the same instance. In theory, we’d predict that the named world would tend to have more people to queue, although “bandwagoning” might flip that.

tl;dr if you’re on a linked world, team up with someone else on voice and track queues during peak periods. Report back. The masses will analyze.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”