WvW night capping/whining/unbalance can be solved with a fairly easy fix.

in WvW

Posted by: Dax.3815

Dax.3815

First off let me stress that the amount of whine happening on this forum about this issue is pathetic. On all sides you find dedicated, hardworking people that are just out to have a bit of fun, but you also find little children stuck in grownup bodies. The state of the gw2 community at the moment is appalling, and some of you should consider playing a more simple game, like wow, where whiners live in bulk.

-That said- there are some balancing issues right now that are causing a lot of the tension in the community. The first and foremost is the unbalanced WvW. The bulk of players, I think, play gw2 most for the WvW, so it is INCREADIBLY depressing when you are fighting against people, which for some reason or the other, is not playing “fairly”.

At the core of this unfair play, you find nightcapping which is by its very nature, unbalanced, to easy, and is in my opinion only for mentally impared people, that is not seeking an active challenge.

Much of this nightcapping is carried out and is indeed possible because the individual borderlands, and EB, does not auto balance itself.

I’ll give you an example. 250 people from each zone in prime time -> fine, the group that is most organized and skilled will win. This is a fair fight.

-2 hrs later, 150 people from VS, 40 from DE, and 45 from FS. Now you are looking at a WHOLE different picture. This is not fun, unbalanced, and unsurprisingly, enjoyable for the 150 and not so much for the 40+45.

-1½ hrs later. 100 vs. 10 vs. 15 making nightcapping possible.

Solution seams simple and it draws from one of Anets most practiced feature: Kicking people from WvW.
Every time the score is reset (every 15 min) the map auto balances and randomly kicks people from the side that has too many. How fine you want to do this +-10 or +- 25 or whatever would help CONSIDERABLY to minimize the nightcapping. Capping will still be possible at night, but will require more skill.
Now I am not ignorant to the fact that attacking usually requires more people than defending, and how you want to add this to the balance issue is up to you (Anet).

I know many people from VS, DE and FS that is sick of the current system. Fix it, so we can all enjoy the WvW, and truly find out who has more skills, and not which server has the most unemployed people (the nightcappers).

in WvW

Posted by: Mubarizun.6435

Mubarizun.6435

I definitely agree with the kicking option. Though prepare for the drama queens coming in and saying “why can’t I play just because there aren’t people on the other side” who prefer to bang on walls their whole night.

in WvW

Posted by: Phara Miu.2816

Phara Miu.2816

Yes that is a something for EU only i play on FS.

But how about USA / Austriallian time zone’s ?
What is their prime time ? should we pick USA as prime time and shaft Australlians ? or should we pick Australlien Prime time and shaft USA players ?

Unless you can only play in your own Continent Europe / USA / Australlia this is very very hard to get right.
It will take a combined offer from all guilds and players to make fair decisions and transfer to servers where each time zone is present to WvW 24/7.

in WvW

Posted by: Setch.2398

Setch.2398

It is an insult to call your prime time everyone’s prime time. Really, it is. And your night time is not everyone’s night time. You may get more points in YOUR prime time, while we get more points in OUR prime time. Why do you assume your prime time is more valued? Because you are losing? We have problems on our off hours too, aka your prime time.

SOR – [Boss]

in WvW

Posted by: McNuggetBandit.8376

McNuggetBandit.8376

What your propsing isnt exactly what iwould call fair, Yes it may be fair in the terms of bring numbers more equal but it is unfare on people who have to paly in that timzone. They will ahve to deal with longer ques because 1) They have prime time numbers online and a player cap that could be well voer 50% smaller than usual. What people need to realise is that its a 24/7 war so there will always be this problem however once we get more results in from the 1week matchs and free transfers are gotten rid of those servers that can play 24/7 will be matched up with each other mostly. The system just needs time to gather data.

in WvW

Posted by: elvy.9085

elvy.9085

Yeah except it is 150 from Vs, 40 from De, 40 from FS only in your head.I never had the feeling of such a difference one side or the other.

Wish we had a way to get data of these things. So people would be surprised I think.

in WvW

Posted by: Drium.8509

Drium.8509

It is an insult to call your prime time everyone’s prime time. Really, it is. And your night time is not everyone’s night time. You may get more points in YOUR prime time, while we get more points in OUR prime time. Why do you assume your prime time is more valued? Because you are losing? We have problems on our off hours too, aka your prime time.

You’re right except that there are servers who deliberately recruit people to play in the non-prime time slots. That’s the issue.

There’s a difference between people legitimately playing during non prime time, and servers recruiting large amounts of people, or guilds, to make sure they dominate 24/7.

I think you are absolutely right people should be allowed to play when they want. What I think is mucking the system up is people who pick servers just to dominate during the low activity hours of the day. i.e. European guilds rolling on North American servers knowing they’ll own the night, or Canadian guilds on European servers, for example.

in WvW

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

There is a problem with a select few servers having active WvW populations around the clock while others can only field competitive numbers during North American primetime hours.

It is impossible to win a week-long WvW matchup when your server controls no objectives for 12 hours a day because you don’t have the international playerbase that would be needed to take and hold them.

Anet could possibly designate “off peak” hours for servers based on their region, making point tallies less frequent during those hours.

They could limit populations, disallowing one side from massively outnumbering the others.

They could introduce much stronger NPC guards to help the outnumbered off-peak defenders and delay their opponents from ransacking the entire map.

They could identify the servers with strong round-the-clock populations and try to match them against each other rather than allowing them to demolish servers whose populations wax and wane with the time of day.

They just ought to do something because right now it’s 3:00 AM local time and my server, which had a point tally score of 285 about 6 hours ago, currently has a point tally score of 30. It’s been like this every night this week and we’re now more than 150,00 points behind the leader in our matchup. We probably won’t be able to take more than 100 points worth of objectives for another 10 hours or so.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in WvW

Dax.3815

Prime time is usually a window of high activity steaching 3-4 hrs. But I guess that i have to explain even the simplest of things to get anything across on this forum. sign. So the Prime time on EU servers will be primetime on eu servers an finite timeframe that goes from 7 to 10 pm on an weekday or 8 to 11 pm in some places.

But I find it striking that you will attack a little thing like this and not look at the balaceing issue, wich is the whole point on the post as mentioned in the title of the post wich is (incase you missed it): WvW night capping/whining/unbalance

It matters very little if it is in prime time or not. What matters is that the maps are balanced, and not if it is 250, 50 or 10 vs the same amount.

Another good suggestion is to have the amount of points you gain devided by the amount of people you are. More people capping in a low populated zone with zero resistances gets zero points.

(edited by Dax.3815)

in WvW

elvy.9085

If you server isn’t able to have a 24 hours presence, then maybe he doesn’t deserve to be top tier.

The ranking system is there and will eventually balance it. VS will eventually meet servers matching their presence, FS might meet servers with less presence. Just give the system time to work.

in WvW

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

Play sPvP if you want the game to enforce team size.

in WvW

McNuggetBandit.8376

[/quote]You’re right except that there are servers who deliberately recruit people to play in the non-prime time slots. That’s the issue.

There’s a difference between people legitimately playing during non prime time, and servers recruiting large amounts of people, or guilds, to make sure they dominate 24/7.

I think you are absolutely right people should be allowed to play when they want. What I think is mucking the system up is people who pick servers just to dominate during the low activity hours of the day. i.e. European guilds rolling on North American servers knowing they’ll own the night, or Canadian guilds on European servers, for example.[/quote]

This is jsut them understadning that its a 24/7 war that doesn’t stop and so to be the very best you need to have people playing 24/7.

in WvW

elvy.9085

I have the feeling that most people whining here anyway, wouldn’t do all that great in Spvp.

in WvW

Phara Miu.2816

And yes then they need to put EU servers VS USA servers.
24/7 servers versus 24/7 servers.

Only then real balance can be acuired.
But can it be done ?

in WvW

Drium.8509

>> This is jsut them understadning that its a 24/7 war that doesn’t stop and so to be the very best you need to have people playing 24/7.

You sound like someone who’s from a big 24/7 server, which is why arguing with you will be pointless. I’m still going to say that winning through numbers doesn’t make you better, it just makes you more numerous. Things would be a lot more interesting if fights were kept fair and even-sized.

in WvW

Dax.3815

Play sPvP if you want the game to enforce team size.

What is the point of keeping score if the teams are not balanced?
-Ill tell you. There is no point of keeping score if the teams are not balanced.
——
And people please, reaslize that ther isent a server en EU that playes with nightcapping to the same extream as FR, so dont argue that “they will be match with people that also nightcaps” because they wont. There simply isent that many servers currently in the game.

The problem is the balaceing issue, not how indivudial servers exploit this issue.

(edited by Dax.3815)

in WvW

Posted by: GettCouped.7846

GettCouped.7846

This would be unfair to Australian players or players who work non 9-5 hours. Frankly, the problem seems to be organized servers vs unorganized servers. A small group of a couple parties using tactics can subvert high numbers.

It is our responsibility as gamers to find tactics that would be successful in different situations.

in WvW

Posted by: Mine Laces.7108

Mine Laces.7108

This is jsut them understadning that its a 24/7 war that doesn’t stop and so to be the very best you need to have people playing 24/7.

In war you have opponents defending/attacking .

Anyway i can see this as a possible solution .
Also they could open map’s slots based on how many people are already in .
Something like cap tiers .
Tier 1 max 50 people per server .
When every server get 50 people in , it unlocks tier 2 , from 50 to 100 people etc.

“Smashing doors at 5am … fun fun fun fun fun” Rebecca Black

(edited by Mine Laces.7108)

in WvW

Stice.5204

It’s not actually a war. It’s a game. Games have rules designed to promote fair competition and the enjoyment of the participants.

I can guarantee you at least 2 of the 3 server populations involved in my current WvW matchup are not enjoying it. If we see this happen regularly in our matchups it will quickly kill the desire to participate and/or prompt an exodus of players transferring to the more competitive servers. Neither is good for the long-term health of the WvW model or the game in general.

Guardian, Engineer

in WvW

elvy.9085

Well as I already said the ranking system will work it out itself.

You will eventually be match up against lower presence servers. Vs will face higher presence servers.

If it is only really about fun, and not misplaced pride in a game, you surely won’t mind to face server with equal presence in a lower tier as then it will be fair and fun.

in WvW

Dax.3815

You will eventually be match up against lower presence servers. Vs will face higher presence servers.

No, no, no… This woud be true if there was 100 maby 1000’s of servers. But as it is right now, with a very low amount of servers, it has HUGE implications if you have nightcapping happening from one realm all the time due to issues with the game balancing the sides.

What is hard to understand about this?

Ask your self this: If nightcapping points, did not add to your realm points, would you still do it? no. You do it to get an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE over your opponent.

in WvW

Mine Laces.7108

If it is only really about fun, and not misplaced pride in a game, you surely won’t mind to face server with equal presence in a lower tier as then it will be fair and fun.

Hopefully we’ll have some kind of fair competition versus other servers and hopefully there are servers out there that can compete with your night capping .
Let’s wait and see.

in WvW

Drium.8509

It’s not actually a war. It’s a game. Games have rules designed to promote fair competition and the enjoyment of the participants.

I can guarantee you at least 2 of the 3 server populations involved in my current WvW matchup are not enjoying it. If we see this happen regularly in our matchups it will quickly kill the desire to participate and/or prompt an exodus of players transferring to the more competitive servers. Neither is good for the long-term health of the WvW model or the game in general.

Couldn’t have said it better. This is supposed to be fun, instead it’s a pointless, frustrating mess.

in WvW

McNuggetBandit.8376

>> This is jsut them understadning that its a 24/7 war that doesn’t stop and so to be the very best you need to have people playing 24/7.

You sound like someone who’s from a big 24/7 server, which is why arguing with you will be pointless. I’m still going to say that winning through numbers doesn’t make you better, it just makes you more numerous. Things would be a lot more interesting if fights were kept fair and even-sized.

Actually i play on Tarnished Coast and we get destroyed at night times yet i jump on during the day with my guid and have a blast

in WvW

Mine Laces.7108

There is already one almost abandoned server in Europe due to WvW problems and free transfers abusing.

in WvW

Drium.8509

There is already one almost abandoned server in Europe due to WvW problems and free transfers abusing.

There are several abandonned NA servers already, so it’s spreading. And it’ll keep getting worse.

in WvW

Dax.3815

There are several abandonned NA servers already, so it’s spreading. And it’ll keep getting worse.

wow this is really sad to hear.

The match up system, is great in theory, if you have 100’s or 1000’s of servers to draw from, to make matchups at ballanced as possible. But with a low amount of servers this system might prove to be really bad.

Removing points entirely from the game, might actually solve some of thise issues.

(edited by Dax.3815)

in WvW

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

WvW standing is about the server. If your server doesn’t have a capable night team that can keep your points up over the nighttime hours, then your server lost it’s points fair and square. It’s judged by how well the server does overall 24/7 not how well it does during your primetime. So get better night teams. WvW doesn’t just take a rest and wait for you to be ready before the games back on.

If a server is beating you because of nightcapping. then they are a stronger server, and they deserve their spot above you.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

in WvW

Stice.5204

If a server is beating you because of nightcapping. then they are a stronger server, and they deserve their spot above you.

Sort of like how if I spend all night shooting free throws while Kobe Bryant is asleep it makes me a better basketball player than him.

Guardian, Engineer

in WvW

Dax.3815

WvW standing is about the server. If your server doesn’t have a capable night team that can keep your points up over the nighttime hours, then your server lost it’s points fair and square. It’s judged by how well the server does overall 24/7 not how well it does during your primetime. So get better night teams. WvW doesn’t just take a rest and wait for you to be ready before the games back on.

Might be true, but there is zero fun in this for anyone. But i think it does not apply to videogames like this. People will stop playing and you will find yourselfe very much alone “at the top of a ladder”

in WvW

Posted by: Hrist.8972

Hrist.8972

But it’s nearly impossible to get people to transfer exactly to your server depending on situations.

Hrist Unriht – [Hovi] Unseelie Court – Seafarer’s Rest EU

in WvW

Keldrath.4735

Sort of like how if I spend all night shooting free throws while Kobe Bryant is asleep it makes me a better basketball player than him.

Basketball games last a few hours. WvW is on 24/7. Not even close to a fair comparison. The server is winning because it’s a stronger server. Their server has the presence round the clock to keep a point lead over you. Either try to win, or accept your defeat and hope the next rebalance will have you facing another team with a similar night presence to yours. You may not think it makes their players better. but it DOES make their server better.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Mine Laces.7108

And this is obviously how things are going .
The game has a 24/7 persistent WvW and we must accept the situation.
Still it’s killing the fun for alot of people that thinks pveing doors whitout opposition shouldn’t be the way you have to win in WvW .
If this is the aim of the game i’m ok with it , i’ll stick to sPvP and accept that my guildmates , having 100% interest but zero fun in WvW , will probably leave the game .

in WvW

Stice.5204

It’s probably fairly easy to get people to transfer to your dominant server.

The problem is getting a large group of players (large enough to matter) to transfer into your server that’s down by 150,000 points and be your late-night crew. How exactly would you recommend we try selling that one, Keldrath?

Edit: Or should I just transfer to Henge of Denravi and make your queues that much longer?

Guardian, Engineer

(edited by Stice.5204)

in WvW

Dax.3815

Basketball games last a few hours. WvW is on 24/7. Not even close to a fair comparison. The server is winning because it’s a stronger server. Their server has the presence round the clock to keep a point lead over you. Either try to win, or accept your defeat and hope the next rebalance will have you facing another team with a similar night presence to yours. You may not think it makes their players better. but it DOES make their server better.

So you think that everyone should get a nightcrew and run around capping at night? im sorry, not all contries has that high an unemployment rate to support that tactic.

Maby just make a ladder for people that enjoy nightcapping, and then a ladder for the servers that play more balanced. That would be much better.

put people that enjoy zero challenge in 1 ladder, and people that enjoy a challenge in an other ladder. Nightcappers would ofc go into the “no challange ladder”.

The point where I think that you make the biggest mistake in your assumptions, is asuming that nightcapping=best. It does not, it actually =worst. So for your logic to make sence, points gained during the day should be multiplied by a HUGE amount to make nightcapping a waste of time.

Then the current ladder system would make sence, as you are placed accordingly to how well you do agaist players, and not how well you do agaist NPC’s (as is the case with points gained during nightcapping).

“strong” has nothing whatsoever to do with nightcapping.

(edited by Dax.3815)

in WvW

Keldrath.4735

So you think that everyone should get a nightcrew and run around capping at night? im sorry, not all contries has that high an unemployment rate to support that tactic.

Time zones are a thing you know. and not everyone who works has a 9-5. Also not everyone who is unemployed is awake all night.

Yes. Get a nightcrew. it makes your server stronger. If not, then quit whining and wait till you drop further in the brackets to face servers who have no night team like yourself. The top of the ladder has action 24/7 the top servers have night teams.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Stice.5204

Yes. Get a nightcrew.

Good idea. We’ll just go down to the supermarket and pick one up.

Guardian, Engineer

in WvW

Dax.3815

Time zones are a thing you know. and not everyone who works has a 9-5. Also not everyone who is unemployed is awake all night.

Yes. Get a nightcrew. it makes your server stronger. If not, then quit whining and wait till you drop further in the brackets to face servers who have no night team like yourself. The top of the ladder has action 24/7 the top servers have night teams.

Ill repleat just for you: Points gained during the night, fighting agaist NPC’s have NOTHING to do with skill or strong or better, so you should not be rewarded for it.

in WvW

Keldrath.4735

It’s probably fairly easy to get people to transfer to your dominant server.

The problem is getting a large group of players (large enough to matter) to transfer into your server that’s down by 150,000 points and be your late-night crew. How exactly would you recommend we try selling that one, Keldrath?

Edit: Or should I just transfer to Henge of Denravi and make your queues that much longer?

If the score matters that much to you, fine go to a different server. If you have any server pride you will try to make the one you have work. You really need to lok at it this way. Either you are losing adn you are going to drop to face other servers that lost just as badly as you did and fight in a more balanced matchup in the lower tier. Or you are going to get more points and move up a tier and face other servers that win and have an even harder time trying to win vs servers with better night teams.

Honestly it sounds like you guys would rather face opposition that’s as strong as you are, so be happy the teams that are nightcapping are going up the ladder while you are going down. If you want to go up you’ll just be facing stronger and stronger servers along the way.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Dax.3815

Honestly it sounds like you guys would rather face opposition that’s as strong as you are, so be happy the teams that are nightcapping are going up the ladder while you are going down. If you want to go up you’ll just be facing stronger and stronger servers along the way.

My god, you simply have no idea. There isent enought servers that are doing this. There is one in eu. So all your fine talk about ladder balanced is all for nothing. THERE SIMPLY ISENT THAT MANY DIFFERENT SERVERS TO PICK FROM.

In this limited server enviroment the thing that you are proposing simply is not possible. if there was 100’s or maby 1000’s of servers, then yes. But there isent, and you need to understand that.

So balance needs to happen on the battlefield and not during rematching. I do not get why you think that having a fiar fight is so bad. If nothing else, the increased battlefieldbalancing will get a much MUCH more accurate picture of a realm’s skill level, than points harvested brainlessly at night.

(edited by Dax.3815)

in WvW

Keldrath.4735

My god, you simply have no idea. There isent enought servers that are doing this. There is one in eu. So all your fine talk about ladder balanced is all for nothing. THERE SIMPLY ISENT THAT MANY DIFFERENT SERVERS TO PICK FROM.

In this limited server enviroment the thing that you are proposing simply is not possible. if there was 100’s or maby 1000’s of servers, then yes. But there isent, and you need to understand that.

There are 27 EU servers. If your claim that only 1 of them nightcaps is true, then that’s at MOST 2 other servers that have to deal with it.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Tzash.5748

Tzash.5748

Ill repleat just for you: Points gained during the night, fighting agaist NPC’s have NOTHING to do with skill or strong or better, so you should not be rewarded for it.

Fielding a strong team when your enemy is at its weakest is a sound strategy. I’m sure there is a Sun Tzu quote around to cover that. Good strategy deserves to be rewarded. Just because you cannot or will not adopt the same strategy is not a reason to punish the team that can.

The top US servers all field strong off peak teams, they deliberately recruited for that. They didn’t complain to ANet, they saw a weakness in their own team and plugged the hole. What one server alliance can do so can another.

in WvW

Dax.3815

There are 27 EU servers. If your claim that only 1 of them nightcaps is true, then that’s at MOST 2 other servers that have to deal with it.

Well they all nightcap from time to time, to say otherwise would be wrong. But one does it every weeknight, and one is bad at it during the weekends. the last one is to weak to make any difference, but is still #3 in eu.

The point here is that thise 3 top servers will be matched, and rematched over and over and over again, because they are the top 3 on the ladder, and even if #3 get changed out, it wont change the over all picture.

I dont think the issues is less relevant, as it “only” affects 2 servers. Every single server out there will be affected by balacing issues in one regard or another.

My suggestion to an solution is to move the balancing from the realmladder into the individual battlemaps, providing a much more clear picture of the skill and orginazation of the servers, and not just who has the most unemplyed people.

in WvW

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

I don’t agree with auto kicking people. Some people have different play schedules and its unfair to kick them simply because they aren’t playing on your prime time. Also remember there aren’t any Asian servers and the euro servers span what 10 time zones?

Instead, there should be an an algorithm that takes into account how outmatched you are and, as suggested in my GW2 Suggestion Link, the outnumbered and power orbs bonuses should be switched. So, if you out numbered 3:1, you should get 3x the points for holding any structure during that time (balanced of course) That prevents punishing people for playing when they can, and works to make it more fair.

in WvW

Posted by: Cazio.2137

Cazio.2137

Why are so many people from high population servers defending so hard their obvious advantage? I see these people constantly calling everyone whiners who doesn’t accept their numerical superiority as a challenge rather than the ridiculous balanced problem that it is. I have a feeling these same people who are calling everyone else “whiners” will be here whining when Anet finally does something to negate their unbalanced advantage.

in WvW

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

lol the failure to think Globally is strong in this thread.

Failure to globalize in GW2 for WvW is failure,simple.
Get global and profit or at the least compete.

There are many ways to do this.

I’ll leave it to you guys to figure it out.

in WvW

Posted by: Tzash.5748

Tzash.5748

Why are so many people from high population servers defending so hard their obvious advantage? I see these people constantly calling everyone whiners who doesn’t accept their numerical superiority as a challenge rather than the ridiculous balanced problem that it is. I have a feeling these same people who are calling everyone else “whiners” will be here whining when Anet finally does something to negate their unbalanced advantage.

The ranking system is Anet’s fix to some servers being stronger than others. And guess what? Its already implemented!

in WvW

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

I’m sorry, but hard caps simply punishes players who play when you don’t. The only thing that should happen is what I suggested above, other wise you break the system.

Also, as other have stated, nothing is stopping you from forming night teams with people who play on an American Server from Asia. And if you are that out numbered, maybe your server should go on a recruitment drive to get more people interested in WvW.

The ranking system is Anet’s fix to some servers being stronger than others. And guess what? Its already implemented!

True, but I would like to see small teams/servers that fight well be properly recognized by the system. Increasing the point rewards for being out numbered would do that.

in WvW

Posted by: Cazio.2137

Cazio.2137

I’m sorry, but hard caps simply punishes players who play when you don’t. The only thing that should happen is what I suggested above, other wise you break the system.

Also, as other have stated, nothing is stopping you from forming night teams with people who play on an American Server from Asia. And if you are that out numbered, maybe your server should go on a recruitment drive to get more people interested in WvW.

It is going to be hilarious when the hammer drops. I fully expect your type to be here with post after post “crying” about your lost numerical advantage. It will be glorious.

in WvW

Phara Miu.2816

Reading reponses from players claiming to be the best when they nightcap is hilarious.
Not targeting Austrialla players here mostly EU.

What will happen real soon is 80% of WvW players transfering to fully packed 24/7 WvW servers.
There are only a few servers who provide this, but i bet this is getting worse and worse

Soon you have 2 or 3 servers doing WvW and all the others are deserted, great future WvW has.