WvWvW Character Names

WvWvW Character Names

in WvW

Posted by: Keriath.3567

Keriath.3567

Was there an actual reason as to why character names from opposing teams weren’t shown? I can understand that griefing could occur, but then I look at sPvP and names are shown. Just curious.

WvWvW Character Names

in WvW

Posted by: overrandom.2536

overrandom.2536

There are a number of reasons, but it’s primarily because WvW and sPvP are different playstyles.

sPvP is supposed to feel like a sport. After each match, both sides go to the bar together to congratulate each other on a wonderful match.

WvW is supposed to feel like a serious war that has implications to each world. As such, all you need to know is it is “us” “them” and “those”. Anonymity is the best way to enhance that feeling.

I love this feature, really. Plus, when I have 30 enemies charging at me, the last thing I want to see is 30 different names that mean absolutely nothing to me. Just want to know if it’s “them” or “those”

Rikard Mathiassen
Anderthian Box [ABox]
Isle of Janthir

(edited by overrandom.2536)

WvWvW Character Names

in WvW

Posted by: Daximus.8547

Daximus.8547

There are a number of reasons, but it’s primarily because WvW and sPvP are different playstyles.

sPvP is supposed to feel like a sport. After each match, both sides go to the bar together to congratulate each other on a wonderful match.

WvW is supposed to feel like a serious war that has implications to each world. As such, all you need to know is it is “us” “them” and “those”. Anonymity is the best way to enhance that feeling.

I love this feature, really. Plus, when I have 30 enemies charging at me, the last thing I want to see is 30 different names that mean absolutely nothing to me. Just want to know if it’s “them” or “those”

I have to disagree. One of the best parts of the game when I played DAoC was creating rivalries….can’t do that with anonymity.

WvWvW Character Names

in WvW

Posted by: Ianervan.3415

Ianervan.3415

Was there an actual reason as to why character names from opposing teams weren’t shown?

Yea, this one:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Corpse-dancing-jumping-and-other-humilation-tactics-When-are-they-acceptable/first

Unemployed people should not receive any social benefits if they are already working in an MMO.

WvWvW Character Names

in WvW

Posted by: overrandom.2536

overrandom.2536

I have to disagree. One of the best parts of the game when I played DAoC was creating rivalries….can’t do that with anonymity.

That is a good point about rivalries, but is there a point to having them when it’s battles of 30vs30 or more when in defense of a tower or keep?

Rikard Mathiassen
Anderthian Box [ABox]
Isle of Janthir

WvWvW Character Names

in WvW

Posted by: EpicDiva.7653

EpicDiva.7653

Sometimes it feels like I am the only person who doesn’t care if I can’t see the other teams names.

WvWvW Character Names

in WvW

Posted by: Keriath.3567

Keriath.3567

I don’t know, I almost find it more interesting in the fact that you’d be able to pinpoint your “rival”. I understand we’re sort of in a “war” when we are in WvWvW, but I also think it would make it more personable as well. It’s the small things for me. =p

WvWvW Character Names

in WvW

Posted by: Vytality.3195

Vytality.3195

I really don’t care if the player’s names are there or not, but it is nice to see the guild tags. Kind of like seeing what ‘company’ you are fighting in a war, without knowing the actual people.

Vytality- Guardian
Vyt Mindbender- Mesmer
Fort Aspenwood since BWE 3. Spirit of Faith (HOPE)