I want to be smart and logical like an Azura?

in Asura

Posted by: Kangaroocyancomic.1298

Kangaroocyancomic.1298

I recently did an IQ test, came out with 96(embarrassing ) nowadays we should at least have 114….

I know it sounds stupid, but I have anxieties so little things can make me stressed or upset (it’s crazy I know I know, but at least I can function in society).

I’m pretty artistic though, anywhere I am, even in front of a cash register, I create things with stuff I find in drawers…

I dunno, is creativity still a sign of intelligence? Or are azura just the logical kind of intelligence?

in Asura

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Considering the sheer scope of Asuran endeavours: I’m arguing equal parts straight IQ and creative intelligence. They probably also access more of their brain’s “spare” space.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Asura

Kangaroocyancomic.1298

wait I believe your hypothesis might have flaws, if they use parts of their brain matter that is not used by lesser intelligent beings, would they not show a form of telekinetic power?

in Asura

Kangaroocyancomic.1298

Although I am ashamed of my emotional linkage to something so absurd such as my racial abilities in this game, I could use some advice on how to create a more positive connection with my intelligence

in Asura

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

IQ tests are not necessarily an accurate quantifier of intelligence. They tend to favour participants with strong language and mathematical skills.

in Asura

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Although I am ashamed of my emotional linkage to something so absurd such as my racial abilities in this game, I could use some advice on how to create a more positive connection with my intelligence

It’s not as uncommon as you think.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to relate to your character. IQ tests are flawed by nature. They measure your intelligence up until that specific point.

You can do better or worse depending on a multitude of things on the next test.

You also never told us what kind of an IQ test you took. Is this an accredited source like a university, or some random online quiz you did for the lulz?

If the later, the chances are good that your IQ is higher then the bloke who made the test.

If you can play this game and understand the controls and intricacies of the system therein, you’re a pretty competent Joe. Don’t let it bother you.

Embrace simplicity.

in Asura

Posted by: AstralDusk.1670

AstralDusk.1670

Your anxiety issues probably undercut your testing ability. And 100 is meant to be the average, so us supposing to have at least 114 isn’t true. You’re in the average range.

As for being able to relate to asura— they think differently than humans. They aren’t just intellectually superior; their brains work entirely differently. Who knows, an asura may get a 96 on a human IQ test just because their brain is carrying them on an entirely different track, so that instead of getting the answer the human test-maker expects, they come up with something vastly different, outside the human’s parameters (but still technically correct.)

This really applies to humans, as well. It’s easy to score low on a test if the result you get, no matter how correct it is, is different than what the test creator intended.

in Asura

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I recently did an IQ test, came out with 96(embarrassing ) nowadays we should at least have 114….

I know it sounds stupid, but I have anxieties so little things can make me stressed or upset (it’s crazy I know I know, but at least I can function in society).

I’m pretty artistic though, anywhere I am, even in front of a cash register, I create things with stuff I find in drawers…

I dunno, is creativity still a sign of intelligence? Or are azura just the logical kind of intelligence?

First of all I wouldn’t stress with the test. 96 is quite average. And even though you might not be the most “intelligent” person in the test, it doesn’t tell much about your own abilities. The test has it’s flaws anyway because it’s a strict setup scheme testing abilities (and valueing them) for an industrial world western scheme and doesn’t take things like social intelligence, creativity and other things into consideration. I would rather look at the test as a thing that can show you which are your strengthes among the tested abilities.

As for the races and their abilities: well I would think that Norn are the rather artistic people. They got singers and poets (the skalds) and Eir is a sculpturor for example. But Asura are also known for buildings, gates and golems and even though these are pretty much technical things someone has to give them a proper design. So I would say an artist might not be so much common in the asuran society but as an architect and designer he can be as important as any other asura out there.

Oh and btw experimenting on things like you described sounds pretty Asuran imo.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

in Asura

Kangaroocyancomic.1298

hahaha that’s great thanks a lot guys Glad nobody made fun of me instead

in Asura

Posted by: Drawing Guy.3701

Drawing Guy.3701

My biggest problem is too much of it is perspective logic. This usually correlates within their concepts of reading comprehension and pattern recognition.

Reading is a realm that I’ve always loved because it’s open to personal interpretation within your own mind. Two people can look at the same passage, and glean completely different conclusions. In IQ tests, it’s not taking your personal assessment, but trying to place a quantitative value against your ability to guess what the test maker derived from the passage.

As for pattern recognition – the aspect that is supposed to be the classic test of your logic is sometimes the least logical. The problem is sometimes the samples they provide can have multiple logic patterns applied, creating the annoying endeavor of trying to continue to hunt for THEIR logic.

While I’ve generally found accredited IQ tests to be a bit better than assessment tests like SATs and ACTs, that doesn’t break from the fact that I find them all fundamentally a ‘guessing game’ rather than a true assessment of intelligence. By taking the viewpoint not what I always think is ‘best’ but more ‘common denominator’ – the answer that I think they think is most likely the answer rather than the best in my viewpoint – I’ve been able to score extremely high on such tests. But could an Asura? To be frank, I doubt it. It’s guesswork of another human’s logic, and not pure logic. They would most likely look at their score of 42, and use that to prove that Humans are not properly sentient and round us up for experiments.

in Asura

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

That’s a problem with standardized testing. There’s no telling how much potential someone has or how smart they are overall, it’s just a relative test for a specific purpose.

To put it simply, standardized tests are not very fair and they reward people who memorize, not people who learn.

Also, if you want to act like an Asura, simply tell yourself this: I’m not the smartest person, but I’m not dumb.

Make up words, if you have to (if you’re role-playing). Eternal Alchemy knows how many times I’ve made up strings of words to come out sounding smart… clearly I know what a Quantiphasic Coil Capacitor is. (Actually, I do know what that is…)

in Asura

Posted by: Did.2683

Did.2683

You could start by learning to spell “asura” correctly? Just saying. It’s right there in the name of the board.

in Asura

Posted by: pdboddy.4162

pdboddy.4162

Considering the sheer scope of Asuran endeavours: I’m arguing equal parts straight IQ and creative intelligence. They probably also access more of their brain’s “spare” space.

Brains don’t have spare space.

in Asura

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Alright. Then explain the cases where a certain brain area (for instance, motor skills) is
heavily mangled or destroyed, but then the brain effectively rewires itself to function in spite of the damage. Seems to me (not being a neuroscientist, but not an idiot either …) that there are areas that aren’t necessarily used at full potential. Else, losing any brain region would completely negate that sector’s functions, would it not?

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Asura

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

To Answer Advent…

You are wrong in this regard. The brain is composed of synapse that connect with each other. Each connection is a memory and/or remembrance of something. By making more connections, you strengthen a specific memory and can remember it “easier”. These connections, on a molecular level, are actually the blank space in your brain being filled with particles that connect point a to point b.

Layman description.

Source: My physiology class from way back when.