Charr and Chocolate

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Dafid.8521

Dafid.8521

Okay.. I searched on the wiki and the forums here. No information about what happens if a charr eats chocolate. My friends (a whole charr warband…) keep saying that charr are like cats and they can’t digest chocolate and will die if they eat some… I am eager to find it out that lorewise is it true or not? Thanks for any replies

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

But I fed my charr chokolate cakes. She is fine.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: illyume.9630

illyume.9630

I can confirm. My Charr’s eaten lots of chocolate cakes, and he’s still kicking. :P

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

Except charr also should not be able to manage large amounts of plant matter without throwing it all up, yet our charr manage that just fine too.

Probably just a disconnect between gameplay and lore. I’d love an actual official word on that, but it’s probably too minor a detail for us to hear ’word of god’ on whether charr manage chocolate well. ...Aren’t cats supposed to be lactose intolerant too?

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Since when were Charr “cats”?

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Atamis.1607

Atamis.1607

Well my Charr has been called a housecat by an npc, and i def looks like a tiger.

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

Yea they aren’t cats, but they are feline enough for it to be a valid question.

Wiki claims they are carnivores, and I recall some source someplace indicating that they are specifically obligate carnivores. Like the big cats.

So cats or not, they could still potentially have issues with chocolate, as well as any number of other things chefs make for our consumption. If they didn’t they would not be carnivores.

(edited by Greiger.7092)

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

Charr are proud carnivores, but like many carnivores they do add some other food into the mix from time to time, although they would not call it a meal unless there is plenty of meat, too. Also, they do have some feline features and because of that are often compared to cats by other races. But saying they are practically cats and therefore can not digest chocolate is even less accurate than offering a human a meal of tree-bark because he is practically a chimpanzee.
So, while I understand where the question comes from there is only little reason to believe chocolate poses a problem for charr and the game itself actively disproves it.

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Aryto.5873

Aryto.5873

I haven’t really found a definitive answer to chocolate in any NPC conversations.

We can extrapolate from the evidence we do have that Charr are capable of metabolizing theobromine, and thus chocolate poses no risk to those with no other issues such as specific allergies.

Charr are not Human, but neither are they simple animals. They have qualities that can only be interpreted through the lens of the real Human experience, so we have to go by what we’ve got, which is to say they’re probably “human” (I use the term loosely and with all due diligence) enough to eat chocolate =p

·································•¤¨¨¨¤•·································
A R Y T O . S HA D E S T A L K E R
·································•¤……¤•·································

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

Considering the fact that one of my Charrs is a max level chef, she can assure you through a mouthful of chocolate cake and chocolate cherries that they are well accustomed to eating chocolate.
That said animals can tolerate it in small amounts, it’s when they have too much that they cannot break it down that they tend to throw it back up, (My dog has the ability to open easter eggs). I think it’s only a large amount for a long period of time that has an effect.

In the ghosts of Ascalon the book, one of the charr characters eats some sort of ration rusk, and drinks wine, only eating meat at a feast. I know it’s not proper lore but it’s another source.

Maybe they’re just omnivores but prefer to eat tasty bacon most of the time- it would make sense if they’re a warring race that they’re used to soldiers rations. And if Charr were kitties, wouldn’t they like fish? And as far as I know, the only vaguely fishy thing are clams that you can craft with.

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Mobott.5908

Mobott.5908

If Charr are cats, shouldn’t they be terrified of water? Well, they’re not. You can’t assume that what’s true about cats is true about Charr.

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Elricht Kaltwind.8796

Elricht Kaltwind.8796

If Charr are cats, shouldn’t they be terrified of water? Well, they’re not. You can’t assume that what’s true about cats is true about Charr.

Cats are not terrified of water. They are almost entirely made of water and need it to survive.

On the other hand, though, charr are also not cats.

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

i can has charrzburger?

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Mobott.5908

Mobott.5908

Cats are not terrified of water. They are almost entirely made of water and need it to survive.

I didn’t mean it that way, I was talking about how cats don’t like getting wet.

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Lenor.8197

Lenor.8197

From the technical point of view, cats digest chocolate. It’s the theobromine, an alkaloid in it that inflicts fatal poisoning in cats, because their liver lacks the proper enzyme to metabolise it. The main question now is: do Charr originate from great cats, or not? I’d like some developer input on that.

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

If we theorize that charr developed from some kind of evolution we can be pretty sure that they are not as closely related to any Tyrian great cats we know of as humans are to chimpanzees. Just look at the huge variety in the charr species. Compared to them all humans practically look alike (like chimpanzees that is). Also, charr are the only living “charrine” species (horned felines) known to us.

As I see it this leaves you with basically two (evolutionary) options: either a multitude of feline species formed branches that independently developed horns and intelligence and/or the ability to interbreed without the common drawbacks (sterility) or a possible common ancestor of charrine and feline species must have lived a great number of generations and environmental changes ago, long enough for one branch to form all common feline species and the other branch to develop horns and intelligence (very likely in that order) with all non-intelligent charrine species (except for the Blood Legion) going extinct somewhere down the line.

Both options leave you with enough mutation potential to outright discard any notion of “this is the case with cats, so it must be the same for charr”.
And if the charr are not the result of a natural evolution but rather have supernatural origins (feline-kittening demons or whatever) all bets are off anyway.

(edited by Locce.8405)

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Elricht Kaltwind.8796

Elricht Kaltwind.8796

I didn’t mean it that way, I was talking about how cats don’t like getting wet.

Haha, no, I know. I’m just saying, I think it’s a myth that cats don’t like getting wet. I’ve seen cats that love to swim, or take baths in the sink.

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Lions don’tusually swim unless they have to but tigers love to go in water to cool down. Tigers can swim up to 18 miles. House cats are just looking for one more reason to shred your face. Being wet is as good a reason as any. :P

Charr and Chocolate

in Charr

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yep, tigers are excellent swimmers. If you were ever being chased by a tiger and tried to get away by jumping in a river, you’d be in for a rude shock. XD

I’m pretty certain that it’s been stated that Charr are obligate carnivores. They must eat meat to survive, but they can probably tolerate small to medium amounts of plant matter in their diet. Judging by Charr food recipes like Kastaz Roasted Poultry, Poached Eggs and Portermaster’s hot sauce, Charr love spicy food.