Norn female voices

Norn female voices

in Norn

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

It’s not appropriate to have such a deep voice when the game allows me to make a really cute norn, seriously it just don’t fit. I could understand if I made one with the scarred face and made her ugly.

Which would imply that Ivanova in Babylon 5 was ugly as kitten?

Norn female voices

in Norn

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

It’s not appropriate to have such a deep voice when the game allows me to make a really cute norn, seriously it just don’t fit. I could understand if I made one with the scarred face and made her ugly.

You should really watch Venture Bros if you think the Norn are a problem.
The Norn woman voice is nothing compared to Dr Girlfriend.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Norn female voices

in Norn

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

You should really watch Venture Bros if you think the Norn are a problem.
The Norn woman voice is nothing compared to Dr Girlfriend.

But Dr Girlfriend is a joke, and supposed to be a joke. It’s a comedy show.

We’re supposed to take the female norn seriously.

Norn female voices

in Norn

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Comedy shows can have good characters.
Just calling her a “joke” kind of kills the progression of the character.

Personally I find it offensive that only “scarred and ugly” women are supposed to have deep voices. That’s rather shallow thinking because it is possible for a beautiful woman to have a voice that isn’t some high pitched Pekingese (yeah hyperbole I know), the proof is in Claudia’s work.

You talk of taking norn females seriously, yet you are comfortable sticking them in a box which says “you can’t have a voice that makes me feel icky”. Maybe this isn’t directed to you, Rainbow, but it is directed to the folks who do act like this.

Now would it be ultra sweet if this game had a pitch slider or something to alter the voice on creation? Heck yeah, but I like that idea from a pure creation standpoint (I was addicted to the Sims in my younger years) alone.

Maybe that’s why I like the Norn women as they are.
In gaming women are either all hot or completely horrid, there’s few that walk the fine line of being a character.
Yet in this game her legend is formed by what she does.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

(edited by Atlas.9704)

Norn female voices

in Norn

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Well like I said theres only two things that bugs me about the female norn voice.

1. There’s no emotion in any line, she always sounds bored
  2. It sounds like they asked the voice actor to do their best male voice, as that’s what girls sound like if they’re trying to imitate a male voice. (atleast any one i’ve ever heard doing it)

Norn female voices

in Norn

Dawdler.8521

1. It sounds like they asked the voice actor to do their best male voice, as that’s what girls sound like if they’re trying to imitate a male voice. (atleast any one i’ve ever heard doing it)

Just go watch Babylon 5 then. Because that’s how she sounds.

Also, why wouldnt a Norn be constantly bored with children running around their legs all the time?

God I get bored just with 5 minutes of them IRL, imagine if they all wore clanking heavy armor and thought they where the heros of the world?

Norn female voices

in Norn

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

it is possible for a beautiful woman to have a voice that isn’t some high pitched Pekingese (yeah hyperbole I know), the proof is in Claudia’s work.

Claudia Black is an excellent example of a deep voice done right. She still sounds like a woman, though. She doesn’t sound like a woman mimicking a man. I’d probably have 6 norn women if she were doing the voice for them. Alas, we got somebody who watched Mulan and didn’t realize that voice was done as a gag.

Also, why wouldnt a Norn be constantly bored with children running around their legs all the time?

God I get bored just with 5 minutes of them IRL, imagine if they all wore clanking heavy armor and thought they where the heros of the world?

Wait … what? Why do you think the the norn would view other races as children? Do you view midgets as children? I sure don’t. Seems like grasping at straws imo.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

Norn female voices

in Norn

Dawdler.8521

Wait … what? Why do you think the the norn would view other races as children? Do you view midgets as children? I sure don’t. Seems like grasping at straws imo.

Grasping at straws? Does anyone even read the basic lore of the game?! You can bet your kitten that a Norn would consider the human desire for wealth childish. Lets not even begin to argue the Asuran obsession for technology and scientific “fame”, all of which is just pointless for a Norn and much like children playing with their toys. Charr I suppose a Norn would consider the most equal, but they do have an unhealthy appreciation of the Asura. Sylvari are children and its a miracle they dont trip over their own feet every second.

Comparing to midgets is grasping at straws.

Norn female voices

in Norn

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Ignoring the fact you made it sound like a size thing … the rest of your response is bullkittenting to cover. Sylvari aren’t children, norn are ALL about fame, and since when does “value something other than what I value” = “childish”? And let’s not forget about Magnus the norn pirate. But I’m sure he doesn’t care about wealth …

Basic lore says norn are kittenes who want to build a legend and die in a way so as to be remembered. There’s nothing to suggest that they don’t value excellence in various skills … even Eir is a renowned sculptor. Raven is about excellence of the mind, not necessarily the body.

Maybe YOU should reread the basic lore. And anyway, all of that has jack kitten to do with the norn female voice actress doing her best manly impression.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

(edited by Rainshine.5493)

Norn female voices

in Norn

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

This is honestly the reason why I will never play a female norn. They sound like old husky women no matter what you make them look like. It’s really offputting and immersion breaking.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Norn female voices

in Norn

Posted by: Rutee.1058

Rutee.1058

But she sounds nothing like what most women trying to sound like a man manage. I’ve met numerous women with voices just as deep in the real world, just walking around. You can fault her delivery all you want, but that’s not an attempt at a manly voice.

Heck, looking on youtube for 10 seconds, I see this is only a tiny bit deeper than Ivanova was, which isn’t that surprising given that Zojja is mostly just “Felicia Day.”

(edited by Rutee.1058)