Biological Questions

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

Q:

Do Sylvari have the capability to take a poo?

I’m actually really curious.

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

A:

That’s a darn good question. We know that they do eat and breathe, thus the need for elimination would be logical. Unless their “intestines” are more like the business end of a pitcher plant, and all their food intake is broken down completely, I’d argue they need to vent waste somehow.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: smeen.4237

smeen.4237

I guess they do… They can’t carry around waste forever.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Arrow Storm.4618

Arrow Storm.4618

they most likely don’t excrete rectally. probably sheds off of their skin/bark or something.

anet probably didn’t design the sylvari to this degree of detail lol they would need a longer period of time if you want them to design their biology and systems and whatnot

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I personally think, that they break down everything if they are anything like pitcher plant acid and such.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

TheMightyAltroll.3485

I personally think, that they break down everything if they are anything like pitcher plant acid and such.

That makes me less interested in using a certain limb of mine on a Sylvari.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

smeen.4237

I just-

You could use it elsewhere

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

RedSpectrum.1975

My sides! ROFL!

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m almost certain that Sylvari do need to excrete solid waste. Otherwise, they’d eventually build up too much junk internally from indigestible parts of food. However, I don’t know whether they’d actually have a fecal orifice. For all I know, their digestive system ends at their stomach, and they regurgitate anything that’s indigestible like some amphibians or reptiles.

Imagine seeing that every morning in the bathroom if you had a Sylvari mate!

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

TheMightyAltroll.3485

And now Sylvari are unattractive to me.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Zaxares.5419

^ That could be interpreted in a number of ways. XD

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

smeen.4237

And now Sylvari are unattractive to me.

Actually, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Since Sylvari do have sex, I guess all the needed parts are still there.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

TheMightyAltroll.3485

Yes but the above thoughts really ruined it, first comparing them to a pitcher plant filled with acid and digestive fluids… don’t really want to “insert” anything in there…

and the second stating poop vomit. So…

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

RedSpectrum.1975

Yes but the above thoughts really ruined it, first comparing them to a pitcher plant filled with acid and digestive fluids… don’t really want to “insert” anything in there…

I meant their acidic stomachs, assuming they have structures akin to one….

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: ChibiLlama.6439

ChibiLlama.6439

I thought they just ate like normal plants… through photosynthesis o.0 At least, I’ve never -seen- a Sylvari actually eat anything.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

RedSpectrum.1975

I thought they just ate like normal plants… through photosynthesis o.0 At least, I’ve never -seen- a Sylvari actually eat anything.

It has been confirmed that they do eat since they are very active and thus, photosynthesis alone wouldn’t suffice for the energy they require to move.
HOWEVER they do still undergo photosynthesis but it makes them feel better, lightens their mood

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Zaxares.5419

I seriously doubt your Sylvari’s “limb” is long enough to reach all the way down into a stomach, so you should be safe. As to the second issue, if you think about it, sex is a rather messy, disgusting business. So what if sexual organs are also used for waste excretion? That applies to just about every orifice humans use for sex. :P

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

TheMightyAltroll.3485

Imagine the breath.

Poop vomit.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Considering the fact that the Sylvari are made in the “image” of humans right down to reproductive organs that are functionally unessicary (for actual reproduction, anyway) I would assume their digestive tract would be a copy of the human digestive tract as well.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

A-net says the pale tree only saw the outside of humans. So they have internal plant organs that produce the desired effect of what a human can do but they may not be a 1:1 replica just as the skeletal structure isn’t.

Having said that, in order for sylvari to eat this great number of things that everyone else does, they would need to a way to rapidly excrete the waste of things that can’t be broken down or used very quickly. And since we know the Pale Tree saw the outside workings of humanity, she probably saw them walk into the bushes and use a couple of here leaves.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

Hate to break it to you, but you’ll be hard pressed to find a Sylvari in real life to do that to. Maybe your in-game character will have better luck…

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Falafal.9135

Falafal.9135

..and this is why I never tell anyone I play MMOs. Ever.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: wadprime.4708

wadprime.4708

..and this is why I never tell anyone I play MMOs. Ever.

HAH!

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

Seeing how the Sylvari have characteristics of fungi, such as the mushroom head choice, it is possible that the Pale Tree and the Sylvari themselves combine the traits of animal fungi and plant. If this is true they could be similar to the Orks of Warhammer 40k and have special fungus within their bodies that break down the usually unbreakable components of what they eat, this could even be done by plants as Tyria is a ‘alien’ world after all, after their bodies break down the components that normally can be digested.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

If this is true they could be similar to the Orks of Warhammer 40k...

WAAAGH!

I’m da hand of Gork and Mork, dey sent me to rouse up da boyz to crush and kill ‘cos da boyz forgot what dere ‘ere for. I woz one of da boyz till da godz smashed me in da ‘ead an’ I ‘membered dat Orks is meant to conquer and make slaves of everyfing they don’t kill.

I’m da profit of da Waaagh an’ whole worlds burn in my boot prints. On Armour-Geddem, I led da boyz through da fire deserts and smashed da humies’ metal cities to scrap. I fought Yarik, old one-eye at Tarturus, an’ he fought good but we smashed iz city too.

I’m death to anyfing dat walks or crawls, where I go nothin’ stands in my way. We crushed da stunties on Golgotha, an’ we caught old one-eye when da speed freeks blew da humies’ big tanks ta bits. I let ‘im go ‘cause good enemies iz ‘ard to find, an Orks need enemies ta fight like they need meat ta eat an’ grog ta drink.

I iz more cunnin’ than a grot an’ more killy than a dread, da boyz dat follow me can’t be beat. On kitten enah we jumped da marine-boyz an’ our bosspoles was covered in da helmets we took from da dead ‘uns. We burned dere port an’ killed dere bosses an’ left nothin’ but ruins behind. I’m Warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka an’ I speak wiv da word of da gods. We iz gonna stomp da ‘ooniverse flat an’ kill anyfing that fights back. We iz gonna do this coz’ we’re Orks an’ we was made ta fight an’ win!

-Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

(edited by WyldKat.4712)

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: HumaCarrionEater.8254

HumaCarrionEater.8254

I think this is one of those details that can be customized for each character, and may be based on how close to human a particular Sylvari is. Though, their stomachs are actually pitcher plant sacs, and might be so acidic that there is very little waste left over. Some alternate ways of disposing of waste could be dropping wilted leaves and emitting Co2.

Do Sylvari have the capability to take a poo?

I’m actually really curious.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: HumaCarrionEater.8254

HumaCarrionEater.8254

In an interview an Anet dev did say they are pitcher plant sacs. They were very clear about wanting them to be only approximations of humans. (“A tree’s idea of humanoid” or something like that)

That’s a darn good question. We know that they do eat and breathe, thus the need for elimination would be logical. Unless their “intestines” are more like the business end of a pitcher plant, and all their food intake is broken down completely, I’d argue they need to vent waste somehow.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Plants evaporate waste liquid through their leaves (this helps them suck up fresh groundwater), and shed other waste in bark and leaves and resins.

Plants tend to recycle chemicals internally in a cycle of photosynthesis and respiration, so there would probably be less waste anyway.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I think that once we start adding the garbage that people like to eat there is likely to be a lot more waste that doesn’t and can’t get used. Also, sylvari are a lot more active than most plants so they would need quicker ways of breaking down, processing and expelling waste. The waste in this case may be something that is hard to break down so even though it could be used by a less active plant, some things wouldn’t be worth the energy required to break down, so would need some way to be expelled.

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

If this is true they could be similar to the Orks of Warhammer 40k…

WAAAGH!

I’m da hand of Gork and Mork, dey sent me to rouse up da boyz to crush and kill ‘cos da boyz forgot what dere ‘ere for. I woz one of da boyz till da godz smashed me in da ‘ead an’ I ‘membered dat Orks is meant to conquer and make slaves of everyfing they don’t kill.

I’m da profit of da Waaagh an’ whole worlds burn in my boot prints. On Armour-Geddem, I led da boyz through da fire deserts and smashed da humies’ metal cities to scrap. I fought Yarik, old one-eye at Tarturus, an’ he fought good but we smashed iz city too.

I’m death to anyfing dat walks or crawls, where I go nothin’ stands in my way. We crushed da stunties on Golgotha, an’ we caught old one-eye when da speed freeks blew da humies’ big tanks ta bits. I let ‘im go ‘cause good enemies iz ‘ard to find, an Orks need enemies ta fight like they need meat ta eat an’ grog ta drink.

I iz more cunnin’ than a grot an’ more killy than a dread, da boyz dat follow me can’t be beat. On kitten enah we jumped da marine-boyz an’ our bosspoles was covered in da helmets we took from da dead ‘uns. We burned dere port an’ killed dere bosses an’ left nothin’ but ruins behind. I’m Warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka an’ I speak wiv da word of da gods. We iz gonna stomp da ‘ooniverse flat an’ kill anyfing that fights back. We iz gonna do this coz’ we’re Orks an’ we was made ta fight an’ win!

This made me laugh hard.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: airick.9850

airick.9850

If this is true they could be similar to the Orks of Warhammer 40k…

WAAAGH!

WAAAAAGGGGHHHHH

We’z da shootiest

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I go off the interview mentioned above— pitcher plant sac, so no need for a colon— and sylvari NPCs comment that they aren’t squishy inside, but mostly solid dry plant stuff.

That said, there’s obviously approximations for funtimes, but that’s all I assume it’s for.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: SinerAthin.2374

SinerAthin.2374

Maybe if they gather up too much waste inside; they trigger a emesis event, and a forceful expulsion of the contents of their stomach?

I’d argue they need to vent waste somehow.

By making more oxygen?

(edited by SinerAthin.2374)

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Maybe if they gather up too much waste inside; they trigger a emesis event, and a forceful expulsion of the contents of their stomach?

I’d argue they need to vent waste somehow.

By making more oxygen?

Funny would be if the pollen functions as their “waste,” solid-wise. “Aw, look at the Sylvari and that cool pollen of theirs! Squee!” (Meanwhile, said Sylvari just took a fat dump on your head…)

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Biological Questions

in Sylvari

Posted by: SinerAthin.2374

SinerAthin.2374

Funny would be if the pollen functions as their “waste,” solid-wise. “Aw, look at the Sylvari and that cool pollen of theirs! Squee!” (Meanwhile, said Sylvari just took a fat dump on your head…)

Would make the Sylvari an allergic’s worst nightmare.