72 Hour Ban for Unacceptable Name

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: YourFriendMarvin.4127

YourFriendMarvin.4127

So I got a 72 hour suspension for an unacceptable name, and I didn’t even get an option to name change it. I had the name, “I Spread A I D S” for my necromancer. The funny thing is that I got disconnected from a solo queue tourney game in PvP which resulted in a 4v5 for my team. I know that name is appropriate, but A I D S could be anything. Can I get a chance to get a name change, because a 72 Hour suspension seems too severe. I see a bunch of other names that haven’t been reported which are worse than mine. Also if you’re gonna disconnect people from a game, do it after the tourney match.

Edit: I submitted a ticket, but I wanted to post here as well. Also here is my ticket number #130826-002448

#MostTeamQueueWins before December 2nd, 2014 Patch
[NA]Rank 71 before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch OG Moltres, 10k Champion Brawler, Team PZ
http://www.twitch.tv/yourfriendmarvin

(edited by YourFriendMarvin.4127)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

A I D S could mean other things but give us a break. You knew the context of your name and apparently so did the people that reported you. There is nothing funny or cute about it. If you see names worse than yours then report them as well.

The Burninator

YourFriendMarvin.4127

I know, but atleast give me a chance to get a name change? Plus being disconnected from a tourney game resulting in a 4v5? I see names worse than mine, I know they’ve been reported, but they still get untouched. Give me a break.

[NA]Rank 71 before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch OG Moltres, 10k Champion Brawler, Team PZ

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t think Anet considers what the player is doing at the time they decide to give the player a 72 hour vacation. Why would they? If you earn a time out there really isn’t a reason to say, “Okay finish what you are doing and then go sit in the corner.” Part of the punishment is taking away your game play. As for other names the best you can do is report the ones you think are not appropriate. If Anet does not punish them perhaps they don’t see it the same as you.

The Burninator

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

You’re not supposed to get the suspension unless you’ve already had a name violation. You will, however, be disconnected and unable to log in on that character until you change it.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If this was your first name offense you should have gotten a name change and no ban. However if it’s not your first name offense or you have done other questionable and reported things like bad language, then ban.

Check your spam folder for ANet e-mails. Open a support ticket about the ban if this really was your first offense.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

YourFriendMarvin.4127

I never really report names, because i’m not strict on names. And if A-net doesn’t see those reported names the way I do, then something is certainly wrong. There is even a filter for bad language. Though people still get offended easily. Compared to other games, this game isn’t so LAX on names. A friend got banned for the name, “getwrktson” and I don’t see how that is even severe. I know they don’t consider what the player is doing at the time of the ban, but seriously 4v5? in a solo queue game. That’s more problems about that PvP system, but that is something I could go on which I shouldn’t since this is the wrong area to do so. All i’m doing is ranting, off to do something else until this is sorted out.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They’ve constantly said that inclusion of a filter isn’t an excuse, the rules of conduct is quite clear about names and bad language. There’s even a separate document about the naming policy. Click on Legal Documentation at the bottom of the page.

But recently it seems that mods have been banning players with bad names on first offense and that is against policy so if this is your first name issue, open a support ticket.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

So I got a 72 hour suspension for an unacceptable name, and I didn’t even get an option to name change it. I had the name, “I Spread A I D S” for my necromancer. The funny thing is that I got disconnected from a solo queue tourney game in PvP which resulted in a 4v5 for my team. I know that name is appropriate, but A I D S could be anything. Can I get a chance to get a name change, because a 72 Hour suspension seems too severe. I see a bunch of other names that haven’t been reported which are worse than mine. Also if you’re gonna disconnect people from a game, do it after the tourney match.

Edit: I submitted a ticket, but I wanted to post here as well. Also here is my ticket number #130826-002448

First, you have a horribly offensive name back in April. That was your warning.

Second, the name you chose this time is again, very offensive. Do you really think people want to see that name, people who may have a friend or loved one who suffers or died from that disease? Our players come from all walks of life — genders, cultures, ages — and we ask that you use sensitivity in your name choices, if not a little sense!

Third, never, ever submit a ticket and post immediately in the forums. That’s rude, it takes time, it doesn’t give support time to answer the issue that you submitted in the ticket, and it is therefore utterly pointless. If you’re hoping to get public support for your cause, obviously, you didn’t.

Fourth, if you see a bad name, report it. Don’t use it as an excuse “Well, mine’s not so bad if his is worse!”

Fifth, the filter is not intended as a license to offend.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)