Account transfer

Account transfer

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: legobottom.7456

legobottom.7456

My friend just created his character, but he made it on a different world than me and some other friends, would it be possible for him to transfer to our world by deleting his character or something along those lines? I dont want him to have to pay for the server switch when he just got the game.

Thanks

Account transfer

Posted by: Michael.4791

Michael.4791

No, once you are on a server, nothing you do sets you free. Only way: normal transfer for which you have to pay.

Account transfer

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Your friend can guest on your server. Of course that means he cannot participate in WvW, but it would get you together. Alternately, since he’s a new player, perhaps you and his other friends could take up a collection to help him pay for the transfer?

(Deleting the characters would not provide a free world transfer.)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Account transfer

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

You can delete all the characters on the account and then change servers for free. The transfer costs only kick in for accounts with characters on them.

How should we interpret this?

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Account transfer

Michael.4791

A mistake? Sometimes some people err.

Account transfer

RoyHarmon.5398

A mistake? Sometimes some people err.

Right. If that’s the case, I could understand. I’m not here to criticize.

I just wanted clarification.

- C. S. Lewis

Account transfer

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Your friend can guest on your server. Of course that means he cannot participate in WvW, but it would get you together. Alternately, since he’s a new player, perhaps you and his other friends could take up a collection to help him pay for the transfer?

Anet really should change this. If someone is just starting out and mistakenly starts on the wrong server, deleting that character and remaking should allow them to chose the right server. After all, you have no characters to be on a server at that point.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Account transfer

RoyHarmon.5398

Anet really should change this. If someone is just starting out and mistakenly starts on the wrong server, deleting that character and remaking should allow them to chose the right server. After all, you have no characters to be on a server at that point.

Exactly my thoughts, and the reason I ask for clarification.

While I concede that my perspective is limited, I can’t see how anyone could exploit it if deleting characters enabled free transfers. I mean, even if there were an advantage to be gained, wouldn’t deleting the characters defeat the purpose of exploiting it?

And if it’s about spies in WvW (because I know someone will say it), who is so dedicated that they’ll delete all of their characters just to switch for espionage? They’d get no benefit from it whatsoever. And if they wanted to benefit from it, they’d just buy a second account, but buying transfers with gems would be cheaper. Especially when you consider that the NA servers seem pretty stable in the rankings.

If deleting characters doesn’t enable a free transfer, I see no reasons why it shouldn’t,* and plenty of reasons why it should. Well, really just that one reason (see quote), but I think it’s a very, very good one.

* Increased gem demand could be considered a reason against allowing the free transfer for 
character-less accounts, but I like to think the kind folk at Arenanet are above such base motivations.
- C. S. Lewis

Account transfer

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

You can delete all the characters on the account and then change servers for free. The transfer costs only kick in for accounts with characters on them.

Now I am really confused. I read Martin’s post and was really excited and pleased that ANet was being considerate of players… But now I’m confused. Who is correct? If Martin’s wrong, I can see people deleting their characters by ANet’s recommendation, getting screwed out of their characters, and then not being able to transfer. But, Gaile, if you’re right then that means players are stuck forever. Martin’s post makes the most sense and “should be” what is implemented in my opinion, but some clarification is definitely in order.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Account transfer

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Now I am really confused. I read Martin’s post and was really excited and pleased that ANet was being considerate of players… But now I’m confused. Who is correct? If Martin’s wrong, I can see people deleting their characters by ANet’s recommendation, getting screwed out of their characters, and then not being able to transfer. But, Gaile, if you’re right then that means players are stuck forever. Martin’s post makes the most sense and “should be” what is implemented in my opinion, but some clarification is definitely in order.

I am so sorry! I asked three team members and they told me that I was mistaken and that deleting characters would not make it possible to change servers without a fee. * grumble *

Live and learn. Like, next time I shall ask four team members.

Sorry that I erred, and legobottom, I guess your friend can address his situation by deleting all characters! However, before we take that as 100% certain, I’m going to ask QA, because they tested this and they’ll know for certain (although I feel sure Martin was correct).

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Account transfer

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Okay, thanks for the investigation and prompt response. I was unsure if something had changed policy-wise behind the scenes between your two posts, or if someone was misinformed, or what to make of it. I don’t imagine I’d ever take advantage of a free transfer insofar as deleting all of my characters, but I like knowing these sorts of things so I can help out other people who ask down the road.

Cheers.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Account transfer

Previous

Gaile Gray

Ok, confirmed by my good team member: The server transfer fee is for moving characters, if you have no characters the transfer is free.

Again, my apologies for my error yesterday.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Account transfer

Posted by: Loki.5206

Loki.5206

Thank you for everything and no problem. I’m glad that i can play with my friends now. I thought i would be possible or at least reasonable to do. It would suck to play the game for hours just to get enough gem and gold to buy a transfer. Anyway thanks again.

Account transfer

Michael.4791

Do you get to keep coins and other items stored in your personal bank if all your characters are deleted?

It was said so. But there is a thread asking just that now. No need to tuck it up to a different thread.