Change Display Name (not Account Name)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Wokenclaw.7451

Wokenclaw.7451

Before Release of Guild Wars 2 I was hoping to get the chance to change my Display Name (Wokenclaw.7451). This would be really really helpful as I dont use this name anymore on Forums or Guilds so many people have Problems recognizing me.
So how is the status on this topic? Can we expect to have this option in the near future? It seems to be requested by many players.
I thought maybe if I write a Ticket with the request to change my Display Name this would help?
Thanks for any answers.

Posted by: Shodan.4528

Shodan.4528

Yes.. i would like do the same.. when i made my acc before beta.. i didnt realize it will have such a impact and i thought it might get changeable at full release.. ofc i was wrong now its hard for guildies to recognize me in game coz i use different nickname in RL.. edit option would be really nice!

Posted by: Saber.7809

Saber.7809

From reading the dev tracker – submit a support request and ask.

The Starflyer is real!

Posted by: tanto.4217

tanto.4217

would love to change myself, but im guessing if i submit a support ticket to change it it will get a repsone in about a month or so :P so far 20 days for my other support issue

Posted by: Calmwinds.4753

Calmwinds.4753

Same here. Under the FAQ, they did say that they will eventually allow us to change the display name. At least with character names, we can delete our character if we really want to change the name but with display name, we can’t really delete our account/refund hence we need a display name change feature, and soon I might add. Would be nice to hear a confirmation from ANET.

Calmwinds.4753

Can you please confirm that we will be able to change our display names in the future as per the answer on the FAQ. Here is the link, http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8982

It’s under the question How do I change my Display Name.

Posted by: FarFarAway.6579

FarFarAway.6579

I submitted a support request and was told no, but that the feature would be offered in the future. That was a few weeks ago. I would like a response on this issue as well. I hope they can tell us when this feature will become available.

Calmwinds.4753

I was told the exact same thing after submitting a ticket. I believe his wording was “don’t worry, you will not be stuck with that name forever.” I really hope it’s soon and an update would be nice.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Can you please confirm that we will be able to change our display names in the future as per the answer on the FAQ. Here is the link, http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8982

It’s under the question How do I change my Display Name.

Fair question, and I’m not sure that answer is correct. There are reasons to allow it, and perhaps an equal number of reasons to disallow it. I’ll see if I can find out more about this and will post if I do.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

My problem is that I was led to believe this name would not show up in the game itself. I thought it would be used to log in, not that it would be displayed. Now I’m stuck with this name that only makes sense (debatable though that may be) for forums.

It would be nice it if we got at least just a single reset.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

Posted by: Endlos.4852

Endlos.4852

I’d like to change my name, too.

When you first make your account, the page implies that “oh, this will only be used for the forums” and I swear it said something about keeping it separate from your game info. I even typed in my “usual” name that I’ve used for over a decade online, then thought “hmm, no I’ll use something else for my forum login” and put in the name I’m now stuck with — After you register, you get an email saying something to the effect of “Oh, hey, you’ve chosen your display name. That’s your name on the forums as well as the primary way for players to contact you in-game and btw you can’t change it.”

The handling of it is just incredibly, super, ridiculously poor in my opinion. You don’t have the information you need until after you’ve locked yourself into a name, unless you happen to visit the FAQ page before account creation. The account creation page needs to say, up front, “This is name that nearly all players will interact with on a recurring basis in-game” and then they need to give a one-time name change to anyone with an account made before they bothered to make their creation page more descriptive.

Calmwinds.4753

Good point Signet of Forums and Endlos. I was under the exact same impression when I created my other account. I would really like at least 1 change Display Name option. I don’t think it’s fair not to be able to change our Display Name due to reasons above and the FAQ answer. At least with character names we can delete our character and redo. I don’t think it’s possible to delete our account and recreate :-)

Posted by: Kurick.3680

Kurick.3680

How can I change my account name to something else? e.g. name account name is Kurick.3680 and I want to change it to another name.

Calmwinds.4753

That is called Display Name, not account name. At the moment, we can’t change it. But according to the answers page, we will be able to change in the future.

Posted by: Wokenclaw.7451

Wokenclaw.7451

Thats exactly what I thought. Like my Display Name would only be shown in the Forum where I rarely post anything. The text on the Account creation page suggested that ingame everyone would see my Character name only like in GW1. Maybe Im too stupid. But why not limit the option to change the display name to once a year? That would prevent exploiting but would be enough for us who really want to change their names.

Posted by: Michael.1642

Michael.1642

is there anymore news on this ?
the mention of ‘adding something in the future’ seems to be taking its sweet time getting here….

Calmwinds.4753

is there anymore news on this ?
the mention of ‘adding something in the future’ seems to be taking its sweet time getting here….

Unfortunately not. People posted the question to Chris Whiteside on the Reddit AMA but he didn’t answer it I think. We’re going to have to wait still I guess… I really hope we can at least get 1 chance to change it.

(edited by Calmwinds.4753)

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

Any news on this? Apparently im in this crappy situation too cause i was so excited when making an account that i failed to notice it wouldnt be just a simple username to login!
Now im stuck with this crap..

Posted by: MuffinOfJustice.2067

MuffinOfJustice.2067

This is really such a simple feature. You can change your display name on all kinds of social media, and the fact that it’s almost half a year into launch and still no option for people to do this on their own is sad.

Gaile mentioned that there are as many reasons not to allow it as there are to allow it. I’d sure like to know what they are, and, as paying customers, I think we’re all entitled to know as well. Worried about offensive stuff? Throw a filter in. Etc…

Someone had mistakenly used his e-mail as his display name, and that name was changed within 8 hours. With all the time the team has spent giving me excuses and locking my threads, they could have helped me and at least 5 other people.

And if this becomes a paid change…I will seriously consider getting a refund for my purchase of the game.

Posted by: Michael.4791

Michael.4791

Using an email creates security issues, that has to be adressed.

One reason for not changing the name would be that some would harass or troll on the forums and change their ID when they start to run into problems. In such a way you shed a shady past and start fresh. Something like that happened in AION where you could use any character name for the forums.

Another reason is, that the display name is different from any account credentials (email, password), but at the same time it is an unchangeable and unique identifier for adressing players (like ingame mails and fighting the bots). If you make it changeable you’ll have to change the way you are doing such things now.

Posted by: MuffinOfJustice.2067

MuffinOfJustice.2067

Wouldn’t past infractions and play history stick with a person’s account, though? They might be harder to identify off the bat, but I don’t imagine that they would suddenly lose their entire record. Display names have been changed before, and I doubt their slates were wiped clean upon the rename.

I understand what you’re saying, but it seems that both problems are avoidable if someone’s record is tied to their account, not the name that I think is meant to quickly identify it.

Posted by: Michael.4791

Michael.4791

The things that Anet will know behind the scenes and those that the public will be able to see is not the same.

Posted by: Mac Maritimus.8327

Mac Maritimus.8327

I really been waiting for this to. and hope Anet can listen to us regarding such a small request as this.

At least a onetime change would be appreciated!

Mac
Polar Bears [Paw]
http://polarbears-guild.com

Posted by: CoolConfidence.4935

CoolConfidence.4935

I really been waiting for this to. and hope Anet can listen to us regarding such a small request as this.

At least a onetime change would be appreciated!

Agree… All the issues can be avoided if they limited the display name change to say once a year. Give this feature to us already!

Posted by: gre.4580

gre.4580

I would really appreciate it to get this option
I asked two times already by ticket still the answer is the same
They say that: they can not do something like that at the moment but they will probably allow it in the future
I do not know what is going to happen but I really am in need to change my display name

Posted by: WonderWoozeh.9352

WonderWoozeh.9352

I’d like to change my display name as well, as I assumed it would only be used as a log in for my account. I hope they do add a feature to be able to change it, though it has been quite a while now. I’m guessing it’s a feature that is not top priority or they are unsure how to implement it without it being abused by hackers.

Wurg Wildtusk ~ Charr Ranger
Wazla ~ Asura Engineer
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

At this point, this thread is not about an account issue, but about a suggestion. I’d like your ideas to be seen by the development team, and it’s more likely that this will happen if you post in the Suggestions Forum.

There are a few very good reasons why we are inclined to not extend this feature to players, but understanding that you feel that it’s a desirable thing, please feel free to post in a forum thread (there are existing threads) about this feature in the Suggestions Sub-Forum.

Thanks for understanding.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet