Commanders and their world switching ability.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Scone Expenditures.1097

Scone Expenditures.1097

My guild changed worlds a few months ago to the Tarnished coast.
I am a commander and i should be there helping my guild with the WvW leading but i can’t due to the worlds constant “full” status.

If you hand over 100 gold for something (which is a big sum) maybe you should get a lot more special abilities than just a marker on the map and a few squad abilities just saying. Comanders should gain the ability to make world transfers into full servers as this is vital to any team/guild they are carrying.

If one of the GW2 staff could move me over to the tarnished coast that would be a major help to my guild.
Thanks!

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Just because a player spent in game gold to get an icon does not mean that they are more important and worthy of playing the game than joe schmoe who just wants to play.

Wait your turn like everyone else.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: KrisV.5612

KrisV.5612

Alot of people who wasted and spent 100g on that and know nothing about WvW and yet people follow them til they realize they know nothing about it. Same could be said for you. What you get as a commander icon is enough. Just because you bought it doesnt mean your fit enough to lead.

So like Kumu said, wait your turn.

Kris Auditore- 80 Warrior Hawk Ice- Main 80 Ranger
Leader of Immortal Legacy on Blackgate(US)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/immortallegacy/

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Why have you waited for two months to follow your guild?

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

Why have you waited for two months to follow your guild?

I can’t help but think of a military commander missing the unit’s deployment and having to stand at a civilian ticket counter trying to get the airline to bump passengers off so he can catch up to his unit. I spent almost 30 years on active duty and I don’t remember ever forgetting our commander

Good luck catching up to them, but you’ll probably have to do like everybody else and time it right.

(edited by LeCreaux.3087)

Scone Expenditures.1097

Its been full for as long as i can remember. I havent been able to join and help much less provide them with another leader. Its alright i have one of the Arena net employees on my case,

(edited by Scone Expenditures.1097)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The question of high-capacity worlds is always with us. The best solution is often to mutually choose another world and have the guild move there. This can have an additional benefit in that a world with a lower population may allow the guild to add new members, where simply moving a single player to a full server (something we incidentally do not have the capacity to do) will only solve the problem in the short term and the minute the guild wants to add a new member, they’re in the same situation again.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Its been full for as long as i can remember. I havent been able to join and help much less provide them with another leader. Its alright i have one of the Arena net employees on my case,
PS He also agrees with my case.

Seems as though Gaile is contradicting your Anet employee who agrees with your case…

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

LeCreaux.3087

Plus you’re sort of contradicting yourself with your post history. It shows 10 days ago you were “getting into the PvP/WvW side of things” and looking for a guild. Sure you didn’t just find one on TC that you’re wanting to join up with?

Posted by: Syphen.1980

Syphen.1980

I am sure more guilds would up and transfer if you allowed them to keep all their influence and upgrades. These used to get nuked on transfer, I am not sure if they do still or not.

Scone Expenditures.1097

Plus you’re sort of contradicting yourself with your post history. It shows 10 days ago you were “getting into the PvP/WvW side of things” and looking for a guild. Sure you didn’t just find one on TC that you’re wanting to join up with?

Yeah that post was looking for another giuld for a world that wasnt full. Because i didnt play WvW for a while i was sort of rusty.

Scone Expenditures.1097

The question of high-capacity worlds is always with us. The best solution is often to mutually choose another world and have the guild move there. This can have an additional benefit in that a world with a lower population may allow the guild to add new members, where simply moving a single player to a full server (something we incidentally do not have the capacity to do) will only solve the problem in the short term and the minute the guild wants to add a new member, they’re in the same situation again.

Yeah i see your point but i have been with these guys for a while and im not sure they would be willing to move all 200+ members over to another world.
Its always full. I need to move there. Im just a commander trying to get back to his guild, can you help or no.

Posted by: smoothbrain.2479

smoothbrain.2479

I just wish there was a way to turn off the little blue diamonds all over my map without turning anything else off.

Posted by: Zaken.1806

Zaken.1806

Yeah i see your point but i have been with these guys for a while and im not sure they would be willing to move all 200+ members over to another world.
Its always full. I need to move there. Im just a commander trying to get back to his guild, can you help or no.

I think her answer is for you to either to wait for the server to become available to move your character over ( since they have no capacity to do so at the moment ) or your guild can move to a new homeworld so new members can join the guild without hiccup.

LeCreaux.3087

I just wish there was a way to turn off the little blue diamonds all over my map without turning anything else off.

In my opinion there should be a WvW achievement requirement for the commander book. You don’t make 100g in WvW, although you might spend it. Seems odd they’d make a PvE requirement for a WvW ability.

BTW, you can “friend” commanders and see how many achievement points they have…it’s at least some kind of measure of how experienced they are. We have some really good commanders on TC with 2000+ achievement points and good attitudes.

I’m a casual player and have 1400 points, whenever I see a “commander” with fewer points than me I’m cautious about them.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

As far as I know there are no plans to enable some sort of “preferred transfer protocol” for any player.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Easy, keep the 100g Commander (blue icon) option which can be useful for other reasons (PvE and WvW).

Make a secondary Commander icon (in white) that can be bought with WvW badges (500-1000) and perhaps a related set of WvW account based achievements. At least that way you know the person you are following knows the general layout of the maps, map points, objectives and at a minimum, some strategy.

Also, at least include the character’s name on hover over the icon.

(edited by Artaz.3819)

Posted by: miniL.7361

miniL.7361

Easy, keep the 100g Commander (blue icon) option which can be useful for other reasons (PvE and WvW).

Make a secondary Commander icon (in white) that can be bought with WvW badges (500-1000) and perhaps a related set of WvW account based achievements. At least that way you know the person you are following knows the general layout of the maps, map points, objectives and at a minimum, some strategy.

Also, at least include the character’s name on hover over the icon.

Indeed, just make a higher rank with some minor upgrades, call it a general (or so) and ur good 2 go =]

LeCreaux.3087

There you go, that’s a good standard for earning WvW rank vs buying it.

Posted by: atarigenocide.4987

atarigenocide.4987

Sounds like someone who switched servers to either farm a dominated WvW map or spy on another guild. Otherwise not sure why it’d two months to move.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

BTW, you can “friend” commanders and see how many achievement points they have…it’s at least some kind of measure of how experienced they are. We have some really good commanders on TC with 2000+ achievement points and good attitudes.

I’m a casual player and have 1400 points, whenever I see a “commander” with fewer points than me I’m cautious about them.

That is not a very useful metric. I have 3000+ and I probably wouldn’t be a very good commander either. :p

A person who plays nothing but WvW would also have very low achievement scores.

A good commander needs good “cat herding” ability. I doubt there is anything ANet can do to test for charisma/leadership.

LeCreaux.3087

That is not a very useful metric. I have 3000+ and I probably wouldn’t be a very good commander either. :p

A person who plays nothing but WvW would also have very low achievement scores.

A good commander needs good “cat herding” ability. I doubt there is anything ANet can do to test for charisma/leadership.

That’s the truth. I see too many “commanders” who are passive aggressive, very unlike actual commanders (I’m a retired vet). I put those on ignore and never hear from them again.

About the only thing that can be done, in my opinion, to “qualify” players for rank icons is WvW achievement points (building siege, repairing, taking things).

In fact, it might be a good idea to implement icons for achievement titles. For example an “Artillery Officer” icon for players who’ve deployed a certain number of siege pieces.

Come to think of it, why NOT implement actual rank icons (Lieutenant, Captain, Major, etc.) for tiers of WvW achievements. Then we’d know for sure what experience and success level we’re dealing with. I’d reserve top ranks for successfully TAKING things, not just building/repairing things.

(edited by LeCreaux.3087)