Email talkin about Combat tips-is it real or?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: LadySwan.8751

LadySwan.8751

I received an email today from: " gw2@ncsoft.com ", talking about combat tips..
In fact I just received another one now as we speak. So that’s twice that I’ve received an email from this address with the same topic.
I’m a little worried though cause I’ve never gotten an email from this address before..

Did anyone else get an email like this?
PLEASE HELP, I’m a lil worried that this is fake ??!!

Posted by: Ranulf.9285

Ranulf.9285

Don’t trust it. I got the same email just now, and I’m 99% sure it’s a sham aimed at hacking your account or something. Unless an Anet dev says otherwise, I ain’t clickin’ it.

EDIT: Welp, an Anet dev said otherwise, so don’t mind me! :p

(edited by Ranulf.9285)

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

Sorry about this! This got sent out on accident to a segment of our playerbase that it was not intended for. It was meant to be sent to players who are just now joining us in Guild Wars 2.

Reguarding email security, it is always good practice to be cautious about emails and links. If you aren’t sure about an email or link, you can always inspect the links that are embeded before clicking them.

That being said, there is nothing wrong on a refresher for base game mechanics!

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I also got the e-mail, and since I’m not a new player, it really puzzled me, so I had to spend some time analyzing it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was from guildwars2.com, but guildwars2.ncsoft.com which is not the game website and has “A description for this result is not available because of this site’s robots.txt – learn more.” notice in Google, paired with non-readable links usually used for tracking users or deceiving them, made me really suspicious.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

We have halted the sending of this email, but some users will still be getting them due to them being already queued in the batch send system. We intend on solving the issue before sending out any more emails of this nature to players.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

(edited by Chris Cleary.8017)

Posted by: Noid.2871

Noid.2871

In addition to the issues mentioned above, the https certificate for the referenced site guildwars2.ncsoft.com is broken. It’s for *.bluehornet.com , so anone reading that email really must consider it a phishing attempt. Please fix your cert asap.

And as a side note, I was briefly impressed with the “how was I added to this list?” link, until I read the provided data and realized they were wrong, i.e., didn’t actually correspond to me opting in to anything. Kinda defeats the purpose if you can invent things there.

Posted by: Natsu.2589

Natsu.2589

CAREFUL HERE!

I received such an e-mail today from ‘guildwars2@ncsoft.com’. It looks legit. No terrible language, tips are ok, some nice pictures in it, nice formatting. However, almost every link in it goes like http://guildwars2.ncsoft.com/ct/(add a row of cryptic numbers an symbols here). Even the ones that claim to bring me to the official “GuildWars2.com Combat Page”, as well as the official Wiki and even Forums page.

Are you really sure, this is not a phishing mail? Please double check!

Thank you.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

I thought you Anet was trying to send me a message or something lol. I got it twice so I figured I must have ranked fairly low on their now “Player Skill Assessment” campaign.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Canker Bush XI.7423

Canker Bush XI.7423

Reguarding email security

That was a wonderful typo.

I, too, thought I was getting schooled on my awful gameplay…

Now if only we could reguard topics from hypoxia-inducing tl;dr posts referencing entirely separate issues which, in the minds of these blowhards, somehow rank above consumer concerns about phishing attempts…

Charr Baron Goldlocke, Snagbear Warband, Ash Legion, Whispers Lightbringer, Compact Commander

Posted by: Sunspear Mars.1480

Sunspear Mars.1480

The tab target nearest enemy part made me laugh. It’s been my pet peeve since original GW and the same (bad) targeting got baked into GW2’s engine.

Just today, was fighting the mob of Svanir near the chest in Wayfarer with about six of them directly in front of me. Pressed Tab and target selected was the furthest away on the opposite side of the clearing.

This target mis-selection happens so often, my gf is tired of hearing me say it.
My point is that this can go wrong as advice to new players who find out it doesn’t work as advertised.

Posted by: Veeber.3192

Veeber.3192

*CAREFUL HERE!*

I received such an e-mail today from *’guildwars2@ncsoft.com’*. It looks legit. No terrible language, tips are ok, some nice pictures in it, nice formatting. However, almost every link in it goes like *http://guildwars2.ncsoft.com/ct/(add a row of cryptic numbers an symbols here)*. Even the ones that claim to bring me to the official "GuildWars2.com Combat Page", as well as the official Wiki and even Forums page.

Are you really sure, this is not a phishing mail? Please double check!

Thank you.

Footer of every GuildWars2.com page

©2010–2014 ArenaNet, LLC. and NC Interactive, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArenaNet
"ArenaNet is a video game developer and subsidiary of NCsoft"

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I actually got two of those e-mails this morning. I figured they were probably coming but it was nice to get a refresher course Thanks ANet!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArenaNet
“ArenaNet is a video game developer and subsidiary of NCsoft”

Every day you’re visiting guildwars2.com and not guildwars2.ncsoft.com and are talking to ArenaNet team, and have no idea what the real site of NCSoft is – ncsoft.com, or n-c-soft.com, or nc-soft.com, or nice-company-soft.com.

The reason why they’re doing it is gathering metrics – with these redirects they can easily tell which links were the most interesting ones and were clicked, as well as who clicked them (if all e-mails are different and contain your hashed user ID) – a veteran, a newcomer, a frequent gem purchaser etc. When used in a non-evil way, this can help identify the areas where community lacks information, and provide it, and by providing it make the game friendlier for everyone – both newbies and pros. Most likely, this is a universal system used for all games run and monitored by NCSoft.

The reason why we were panicking, though, is that it was not done by GW2 team as we know them – like, having links of guildwars2.com/redirect/%hash% sent from news@guildwars.com or news@arenanet.com, but from a company which most of the community have rarely ever heard of (or forgot already anyway).

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Big Jay.1479

Big Jay.1479

Got the email twice this morning as well… very weird.

Return Email also does not work. (Tried a reply and got a FAILURE-DAEMON)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

This has to be legit (beyond the fact that Anet employees have said it is a valid mistake)….it’s using an email proxy address I ONLY have ever used for GW2 sign up and Support tickets. I seriously doubt anyone would send out random emails to this proxy (as it has TWO . extensions in it.).

If this WAS a phisher, it was the best formatted and worded one I have ever seen.

Not sure why anyone would ever reply to any email you are unsure of the source…..you just verified to the sender that you are a valid address and that usually ends up putting your email in a much more profitable email list sold among spammers…never a smart move.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

I love how the tips on how to stay alive are illustrated by the Warrior skill bar with Healing Signet. This has to be real.

Attachments:

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

To follow up on this, the e-mail wasn’t intended to go out, and certainly not in multiples. I must say I smiled when I saw a comment from someone saying “Three emails about combat? I get the hint, ArenaNet.”

We’re very sorry that an internal test resulted in an external mail that may have caused confusion or concern. That mail legitimately was generated by us, but it was a test and was not intended to land in any mailboxes.

If you got this email and were irritated, please PLEASE don’t mark ArenaNet or NCSOFT as “spam” because that will cause problems in the future if you need to reach us for a support issue. (We found that marking as spam is hard to undo, and it can block inbound ticket responses.) If you get this/these, just click delete (you’re allowed to roll your eyes a bit ) and move on.

We’re looking into the cause of the multiple distributions and again, apologize for the inconvenience!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

What about the sneak preview email on what’s happening next week?
Can I tell people about that one?

Edit: Don’t want to freak anyone out – just kidding!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Posted by: Keiyakins.7182

Keiyakins.7182

While we’re on the topic, can we talk about your hatred of trees? Both this and the recent ‘reasons to return’ email (which I thank you for, I’d totally forgotten amidst failing hardware shortly after burning out for a bit!) had ridiculous amounts of white space. I mean, look at this! http://pastebin.com/kxU7kisQ

Posted by: Kyven.7514

Kyven.7514

My boyfriend linked me to this forum paste and told me to check my email…turned out I had gotten this email too. Gave me a chuckle!

The imgur image below (pulled from a thread on reddit here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/293spr/been_playing_the_game_since_beta_today_anet/) shows the email for those who are curious.

http://imgur.com/ZsptyZd

Lareswen-Human Warrior/Zinnia Epsilon-Asura Mesmer
The Tyrian Institute (TI)
One of the few Americans on Gunnar’s Hold (EU)

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Thank you so much. After 21 months of playing the game I was wondering how to start combat.

Seriously, aren’t we used to this level of competence by now?

Posted by: LadySwan.8751

LadySwan.8751

Thanks for the replies!! I was worried for a bit till my bro said something along the lines of it having to be real, but I still had my doubts till I had real confirmation on here ^^ always good to be cautious with things like this .

Posted by: Yoh.8469

Yoh.8469

I found it kind of amusing, that you needed to give people tips about a combat system that can be facerolled for the vast majority of it.
But that aside one thing seems conspicuously absent… other people. It’s almost as if there is a implicit expectation that your not going to be working with anybody else, I wonder why that is?

But seriously, every time I hear Arenanet employees speak on anything combat related multiplayer is never talked about, certainly not in any degree of depth. Just an observation.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

…..
Seriously, aren’t we used to this level of competence by now?

Wow…..good to know you never made a mistake.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)