Forced to rename my character?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Alvin.7594

Alvin.7594

So when I tried to login to my mesmer(Baobie) & ranger(Shewty) it forces me to input a new character name... But when I logged into my warrior(Baoy) it was no problem.
Why do I have to changed the other two names for? D: or is it a bug?

Thank you

Warrior: Baoy | Ranger: Shewty
Mesmer: Baobie | Necromancer: Booger

Alvin.7594

They also made me rename my necromancer(Booger) X_O

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Hmmmm. Well OP, offhand I don’t see anything wrong with either name. Maybe one of the other forum readers can see what the problems with them are. Was that their full and complete names?

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

The mesmer name is extremely similar to a Scottish slang word for “gentlemans parts”.

Thats all I got.

Alvin.7594

Hmmmm. Well OP, offhand I don’t see anything wrong with either name. Maybe one of the other forum readers can see what the problems with them are. Was that their full and complete names?

Yeah, this is their exact spell out for them

The mesmer name is extremely similar to a Scottish slang word for “gentlemans parts”.

Thats all I got.

Sigh :/ didn’t know that.

So do I have to change it in order to play my characters? _ Or is there some misunderstanding Dx

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

No, you will have to change them to be able to play. But be sure to use names that don’t cause the same thing to happen again.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

So when I tried to login to my mesmer(Baobie) & ranger(Shewty) it forces me to input a new character name… But when I logged into my warrior(Baoy) it was no problem.
Why do I have to changed the other two names for? or is it a bug?

Thank you

I am looking into this now. Actually, I am baffled, but will let you know when I find out more.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hey, Alvin. We discussed as a team and are not sure how these names were censored, but they are all “good to go” now and you will not be required to rename them. Apologies for the error, and we will speak with the agent who made the error to let him know what took place.

If you have any issues, please update and I’ll check, but I think things will be fine now.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

SandraSolace.7682

Awesome!

Happy playing Alvin!

(also, eating my words, thanks for the fast response Gail!)

(edited by SandraSolace.7682)

Alvin.7594

Hey, Alvin. We discussed as a team and are not sure how these names were censored, but they are all “good to go” now and you will not be required to rename them. Apologies for the error, and we will speak with the agent who made the error to let him know what took place.

If you have any issues, please update and I’ll check, but I think things will be fine now.

They’re all ok now. Thank you very much!

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Thats all I got.

That’s not the impression I get when reading that name… also that’s a pretty lame excuse to mess with a person’s character.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: zorro.6430

zorro.6430

Yeah, I’m forced to rename my guardian. It seems that someone is offended the name ‘Pasi Pakki’. Idk why tho. Pasi is common finnish name and pakki is slang word from finnish word ‘puolustaja’ which means defensive type player. Can somebody please explain me why this is inappropriate name and I will change that.

SandraSolace.7682

Yeah, I’m forced to rename my guardian. It seems that someone is offended the name ‘Pasi Pakki’. Idk why tho. Pasi is common finnish name and pakki is slang word from finnish word ‘puolustaja’ which means defensive type player. Can somebody please explain me why this is inappropriate name and I will change that.

Only support can answer that.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The only thing I can come up with is someone confused it with kitten . (Forum filter won’t let me tell you, changes it to kitten. Use the link to see the word).

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Paki
‘kitten acquired offensive connotations in the 1960s when used by British tabloids to refer to subjects of former colony states in a derogatory and racist manner’.

But I would contact support, it seems a bit of a stretch. Tell them the real meaning of the word and see if it gets overturned.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)