Free Trial Questions and Issues [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

If you a have questions about the Free Trial Event, please post here.

Some info for you:

• The Trial Event (Refer-A-Friend event) begins at 9:00 AM Pacific Time on Thursday, which is 5:00 PM GMT and 6:00 PM CET. It ends on Sunday night Pacific Time.
  • We’re aware that some people are seeing the “Upgrade to a full account” flag even after they purchase Guild Wars 2. We’re looking into this.
  • The error message that you see after you’ve downloaded the client basically — while admittedly a bit strangely worded — simply is telling you to come back on Thursday to join the event. In other words, the event is not live yet.
Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Keith Weisshar.5720

Keith Weisshar.5720

Why do I get a message Upgrade to a full account the next time I login to the game after I applied the free trial key to my own account from the invite a friend email that I sent to myself that already has the purchased game. Does it mean that I lost the full access to the game. My previous four digit code after the display name was 9710 but is overwritten with 5720 and the account now shows trial status with a message upgrade to a full account.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Why do I get a message Upgrade to a full account the next time I login to the game after I applied the free trial key to my own account from the invite a friend email that I sent to myself that already has the purchased game. Does it mean that I lost the full access to the game. My previous four digit code after the display name was 9710 but is overwritten with 5720 and the account now shows trial status with a message upgrade to a full account.

The real question is, why would you invite yourself to join a trial for a game you already owned? I don’t think the system necessarily is set up to check against this, as it would be entirely fruitless for someone to add a trial code to an existing account.

Can you explain why you did this, so I can discuss whether this is an issue with the team? Thank you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

The real question is, why would you invite yourself to join a trial for a game you already owned? I don’t think the system necessarily is set up to check against this, as it would be entirely fruitless for someone to add a trial code to an existing account.

Can you explain why you did this, so I can discuss whether this is an issue with the team? Thank you.

The OP is trying to get whatever bonus you would get by having a “friend” accept the 3 invites..

So he sends out three dummy invites to his alt email accounts in hopes of reaping the rewards of friend referrals.

Seems like Anet thought of this and he got what was coming..

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

The OP is trying to get whatever bonus you would get by having a “friend” accept the 3 invites..

So he sends out three dummy invites to his alt email accounts in hopes of reaping the rewards of friend referrals.

Seems like Anet thought of this and he got what was coming..

Love makes blind. Obviously greed does too.
Just when you thought you have seen it all, someone goes and converts his paid account into a trial account by inviting himself for a trial of the game he already plays – I don’t envy customer support

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Keith Weisshar.5720

Keith Weisshar.5720

The trial actually runs from Nov 15-18 but I’m still able to login to the retail game but it has an ((Upgrade to a full account)) button but nothing happens when I press this button which normally should open a website to buy the game if I only have a trial account. I have submitted a ticket and they are working on this bug. It’s just a false message if nothing happens when I click the in-game upgrade button.

Posted by: Savior.6071

Savior.6071

I have the same issue Gaile. As for why I did this, I had accidentally changed my display name before launch when helping my friend make an account. Going through support to see if could get it changed back They told me whenever you register a new key it will re-register your account. With this knowledge I wanted to try to use an invite a friend code to change my display name, and while this worked. I now have that upgrade to full account message in the upper left hand corner which does nothing when clicked. I seem to be able to play the game without issue. I never thought this would be an issue as I had added trial keys to the original guild wars without any problems and I believe that it will be the same here. I will see what happens in the next 3 days I guess.

Posted by: kiwipearls.5237

kiwipearls.5237

So I’ve sent two invites out to friends whom are interested in trying Guild Wars 2.

One friend clicked on the linked and has downloaded the game. It accepted the serial he created his account/display name and got a congratulations email for joining: But gets this error when trying to log into his account:

“Your serial code was already registered with a Guild Wars 2 account”

“You have not applied a retail serial code to your account and the grace period has ended. …”

- then it just says he can’t play until he obtain’s a retail serial.

The other friend clicked on the link, he said it accepted the serial code and is now downloading at 30%. So we are not sure if he is going to have the same issues.

I eagerly look forward to figuring this out so my friends can play on the 15th.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Corrderio.5028

Corrderio.5028

I invited a friend for the Lost Shore event a few moments ago and he’s having trouble getting into his account. He said it wouldn’t register his password so I said I’d try to create the account for him using a password I’d send to him he can change at any time. However, I found out the serial code was in use so his account should have been made.

We then tried to reset the password, however he found out he can’t since he doesn’t have a character made.

So the question is what can he (or me) do to resolve this issue? The serial has been used and he can’t reset the password since the account requires a character to reset.

Thanks in advance.

Corrderio.5028 – Jade Quarry
Corrderio – Level 80 Human Guardian
Queztic – Level 80 Asura Engineer

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

I invited a friend for the Lost Shore event a few moments ago and he’s having trouble getting into his account. He said it wouldn’t register his password so I said I’d try to create the account for him using a password I’d send to him he can change at any time. However, I found out the serial code was in use so his account should have been made.

We then tried to reset the password, however he found out he can’t since he doesn’t have a character made.

So the question is what can he (or me) do to resolve this issue? The serial has been used and he can’t reset the password since the account requires a character to reset.

Thanks in advance.

well, your best bet would be to submit a ticket addressing the issue and wait for a response, other than that, it could be to do with all of their serial code issues through retailers and such

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

So I’m trying to give my friend a free trial. However, as he downloaded the client and is trying to activate his account, it says his serial is “expired”.

Will this be fixed on the 15th, or is something wrong?

Posted by: DubNub.7314

DubNub.7314

I sent my friend a trial and he received a similar error. His is saying the grace period has expired for that serial code.

Posted by: Haelis.9426

Haelis.9426

The “free trial” does not START till the 15th. So the serial code will not be good until then. And it ends on the 18th and it will not be good after that. So patience is prudent.

Posted by: DubNub.7314

DubNub.7314

I understand it will not start, but throwing up an error saying the grace period ended makes it sound like the code is no longer valid lol. If it starts on 15th then awesome, he can enter it then. I havent read anywhere that says you cannot enter it before 15th.

Posted by: kiwipearls.5237

kiwipearls.5237

My friend is able to log into his account now on the guild wars 2 website. But yes that error saying it is not valid you need to purchase a serial should be removed as is is very confusing.

So assuming everything is working as it should, technically he should be able to log into the game client on the 15th. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Posted by: Veetus.5814

Veetus.5814

I see the option to invite a friend but when I click the page when logged in its just blank. Is there a reason why?

Posted by: Snowa.7392

Snowa.7392

I want to invite a friend, but it says Not Available, I just bought the game yesterday, and I want to get some benefits of inviting a friend by getting my buddy to play.

Posted by: Veetus.5814

Veetus.5814

Same. Wanting an answer on this as well.

Posted by: Bakery Status.4132

Bakery Status.4132

I too have this problem. I added a trial key my friend gave me to my guild wars 1 account, then decided to buy the game and added that key to the same account.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

You have to have had an active account before Nov 6th to be able to invite a friend.

Posted by: Mystogan.4157

Mystogan.4157

I have a question, is the link to invite a friend not available right now? because when i click it, it says currently unavailable. Or does the link become available on the 15th?

Thy Shall Fear The Reaper (FxRe)

Posted by: macuill.4623

macuill.4623

Same here. First added trial key, then decided to buy.

Posted by: SoHotMelody.5846

SoHotMelody.5846

I had a slight similar problem with this, first my friend invited me for a ‘free trial’ guild wars2 , but it was kind of tempting, so i decide to buy the game few hours later.
I enter the retail code on my account, when i access to the game i saw the icon bar that says “Upgrade to a full account”.
It really pissed me off, because i had already purchased and it came out like this. My friend told me to make a report in-game & i did… so i hope GM will do something about it.
I just want everything to be sure and good.

Posted by: PaleKing.5791

PaleKing.5791

Hi,
I downloaded the game client yesterday and registered a free trial code from an invite. I woke up this morniong and decided just to buy a retail boxed copy, so I then entered the new code and followed instructions under “existing account”. I am in game and playing ok, but I get a message at the top left telling me to “upgrade to full account”. It is not clickable and as far as I understand it I do now have a full account. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by: bluerebelmedia.9514

bluerebelmedia.9514

Hi,
I downloaded the game client yesterday and registered a free trial code from an invite. I woke up this morniong and decided just to buy a retail boxed copy, so I then entered the new code and followed instructions under “existing account”. I am in game and playing ok, but I get a message at the top left telling me to “upgrade to full account”. It is not clickable and as far as I understand it I do now have a full account. Any help would be appreciated.

I’ve seen a few people with this problem. You can put in a support ticket, but support is pretty backed up at the moment. However, I’m sure this is something they’ll get worked out on their own.

bluerebelmedia.9514

PaleKing.5791

Ah I see. Looks like a small bug rather than a problem with my account as such. Cheers.

bluerebelmedia.9514

Ah I see. Looks like a small bug rather than a problem with my account as such. Cheers.

I think so. Enjoy the game and welcome to GW2!

Posted by: Akira.9507

Akira.9507

I just bought Guild wars 2 yesterday and i can’t invite friend for “Free Trial Event November 15-18”.

Could you let me invite my friends to play?
because I like this game and need my friend to try.
pelase help.

I would be grateful if you could attend to this matter as soon as possible.

Thankyou.

Posted by: SoHotMelody.5846

SoHotMelody.5846

Hi,

Omg! You and I have the same problem yo’
The game looks tempting so I ended up bought the game before
the free trial event starts on 15th nov… Then I applied the retail code onto my free trial account. Well, I was able to log into the game normally though but the message ((Upgrade to a full account)) was bothering me :/ & I had sent a support ticket already.
I hope the staff of gw2 will look into this matter soon.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I just bought Guild wars 2 yesterday and i can’t invite friend for “Free Trial Event November 15-18”.

pelase help.

Thankyou.

You would have had to have an account in good standing by Nov 6th to get invites.

“How many invitations can I send?

Each Guild Wars 2 player with an account in good standing as of November 6, 2012, will be able to send a maximum of three (3) invitations to friends starting on Monday, November 12th. The total number of invitations is limited, so we recommend that you invite your friends early." from: https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9268

Have your friends try on reddit. There’s a few posts about people giving away invites.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

PaleKing.5791

Identical set of circumstances
Maybe you could post here if your ticket gets answered?

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

I got the three keys for free trial.
but when i try to reg one of the keys for my son it says he already got an account.

But he has not it says that with all three keys.
now he has an e-mail account the same as mine but with a different number in it,could it be thats the prob? or same ip?

I was going to let him play the free trial then add the game cd later,but at the mo i’m having a hard time trying to make an account for him because it keeps saying he has an account when he don’t i have a gw account not him.
even though i say no he does not have an account or gw account i keep getting the same error.

Posted by: Zaken.1806

Zaken.1806

Did he ever play the beta or register an account with ArenaNet ?

bluerebelmedia.9514

Having a similar e-mail address shouldn’t affect anything. Best suggestion would be to put in a ticket. It’s possible for whatever reason one of you may have used this e-mail address with something else GW/Arennet related? Have you tried logging in with his e-mail address and his standard password anywhere to see? Or try the forgot your password thing with his e-mail, just to check?

Anyway, you can put a ticket in following this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/How-to-Submit-a-Ticket-Account-Issues-2/first#post285416

But support is backed up right now so it may take a few days.

Try to see if you can get into the account they say existsm if not, an easy workaround would be to sign him up with a new e-mail address, gmail is free and it’s easy to forward all e-mail from that account to your sons current e-mail, then use the gmail account to send him an invite. I don’t think there’s anything against policy for that (having two accounts?) and I know a lot of people use an e-mail address just for gaming, so give it a shot.

Just a temp workaround so you don’t miss out on the trial, or put in a ticket and see if it can get quickly resolved.

Good luck, hope you and your son get this sorted and enjoy the game.

Posted by: Mystogan.4157

Mystogan.4157

if no one is using theres can you send my friend a request?

Thy Shall Fear The Reaper (FxRe)

XxTAFxX.6741

ok i made him a new e-mail and it worked fine.
now i notice in the trial version read me it says they have an option to upgrade in game.

But i already got the full game for him for xmas.
so can i add the cd-key in game later,or can i add the cd-key through his account.

Dont tell me i went through all this trouble only to hit a brick wall when it comes to reg his orig cd-key.

(edited by XxTAFxX.6741)

bluerebelmedia.9514

When you bought the original game for him, did you use his e-mail address? That might be the issue.

Im not sure if you can apply the key to his trial account, but I can’t see why not. If it’s a trial then you can enter in a key it should work, however don’t take my word for it, definitely find out from support/ticket/moderator.

Look in the account settings on guild war and see if theres an option to upgrade there, if there is and it just asks for a serial key then that should be that. I doubt the only place to upgrade is in game, so im sure they have something setup.

XxTAFxX.6741

no not even opened the game up yet its wrapped for xmas.
also he has never had a gw account anyway only just got his computer.

that’s sorted now just had to make him a new e-mail address.
now the question is how do i add his retail cd-key once the trial is over.
no option in his account atm,you don’t even get access to the forum as it says you don’t own gw 2.
He has to go through his e-mail link to get to his gw 2 account.

I hope there will be a way to add the retail key,as that will be disheartening to help him lvl up only to be forced to make a new e-mail and account for his retail game.

(edited by XxTAFxX.6741)

Zaken.1806

I think you can put a key to upgrade to full version since thats what shows up when you log into the game according to some people who applied trial key to their full game account.

Posted by: zippo burntfur.9307

zippo burntfur.9307

I transfered to northern shiverpeak’s because my home server of yak’s bend was full. Within a couple of minute’s northern shiverpeak’s became full. Now with world transfer’s limited to once a week. I can no longer play with my friend’s or people I invited to play GW2. Is there gonna be a fix for this? Will be waiting for a hopefully positive answer.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success

Zaken.1806

It is not broken therefore there is nothing to fix. Maybe they will increase the server capacity for the event but there is no official words for it.

Posted by: zippo burntfur.9307

zippo burntfur.9307

True, but it is a issue if you invite 3 people to play then can’t play with them.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I’ll follow up on this, and thanks for the reports. (And especially, thanks for buying the game!)

More info as I get it.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Please note: You can register a trial account and download now, but you will not be able to join the event until Thursday at 9:00 AM Pacific Time (which is 5:00 GMT or 6:00 PM CET). The “error message” that you’re getting is awkward, and we apologize for that! But what it’s basically telling you is, “Please come back when the trial event starts.”

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

True, but it is a issue if you invite 3 people to play then can’t play with them.

Server capacity is being adjusted in such a way that you shouldn’t run into this issue.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

pelase help.

Thankyou.

One of the requirements of inviting friends was that your account must be in good standing and in place before Midnight Pacific on November 6th. Therefore, the newer accounts cannot invite friends for this trial. There’s a very good reason for this: It’s important that we not provide RMTs with a lot of free accounts that they can use to spam advertise their gold-selling sites.

If we have a free trial in the future you would be able to invite a friend at that time.

Thanks for understanding.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

if no one is using theres can you send my friend a request?

We would prefer that players send to individuals they know personally. Perhaps your friend can get a trial code from one of the websites that are offering it. Check various press sites for more information.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Hi,

I’ll follow up on this, and thanks for the reports. (And especially, thanks for buying the game!)

More info as I get it.

Update: The “Upgrade to the full game” issue will be addressed when the event starts tomorrow. So no one will be forced to place with that reminder, once he or she has purchased a game.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: XyleHarkyn.7029

XyleHarkyn.7029

Will these adjustments to the server capacity allow older players to move servers? I’ve been trying to move to Tarnished Vale for about a week now and it’s always full and it will be nice if I could give my friends an answer on where we are going.