I got banned for 2 weeks.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: TOTO.3175

TOTO.3175

I got banned 2 weeks for inappropriate language on my first strike, seems extremely legit, after all.

I saw people being racist, being banned 3 days.
I have seen people calling other peoplekitten and spamming it, being banned 3 days.
I have seen people scamming and insulting, being banned 3 days.
I have seen myself insulting people, being banned 3 days.

Sincerely.

Attachments:

Posted by: Shigbone.2784

Shigbone.2784

This also happened to me… I don’t understand it at all. I’ve been trying to contact support for the last 4 days and all I got was an automated response that said “Chat offenses are ban-able for 3 (Three!) days.”

All I want to do is play the game I payed for, I had no idea ArenaNet was so strict with this stuff but I would have perfectly accepted the 3 days as a warning, because I understand my language was inappropriate, but 14 days is a bit excessive especially because it happened like 3 minutes after I said what I said.

Posted by: Halmo.8619

Halmo.8619

3 days is even excessive for a first offense of “Inappropriate Language” but 2 weeks someone must have clicked the wrong button on their ban hammer.

Posted by: Bellok.4180

Bellok.4180

What is the point of the profanity filter, and /ignore user if they are just going to ban the perpetrators anyways? I just looks like a good way to cheese off customers into playing some other game.

Shigbone.2784

What is the point of the profanity filter, and /ignore user if they are just going to ban the perpetrators anyways? I just looks like a good way to cheese off customers into playing some other game.

This is what I was wondering at first, but I sorta understand that light swearing is appropriate if not spammed and if people don’t want to see that then they can filter it, I guess what Anet wants is for all your swearing rants to go on inside guild/party/whisper chats and not in the general public or /say.

Bellok.4180

This is what I was wondering at first, but I sorta understand that light swearing is appropriate if not spammed and if people don’t want to see that then they can filter it, I guess what Anet wants is for all your swearing rants to go on inside guild/party/whisper chats and not in the general public or /say.

TBH it doesn’t matter. It takes more effort to report a lunatic player, and get them banned, than it does for some people to right click a name and select block.

Shigbone.2784

TBH it doesn’t matter. It takes more effort to report a lunatic player, and get them banned, than it does for some people to right click a name and select block.

That’s a good point…This whole thing is ridiculous, I kinda want my money back…

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I got banned 2 weeks for inappropriate language on my first strike, seems extremely legit, after all.

I have seen people calling other peoplekitten and spamming it, being banned 3 days.

Sincerely.

It is really unusual to have this happen. Can you please give me your ticket number so I can investigate? Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

This also happened to me… I don’t understand it at all. I’ve been trying to contact support for the last 4 days and all I got was an automated response that said “Chat offenses are ban-able for 3 (Three!) days.”

All I want to do is play the game I payed for, I had no idea ArenaNet was so strict with this stuff but I would have perfectly accepted the 3 days as a warning, because I understand my language was inappropriate, but 14 days is a bit excessive especially because it happened like 3 minutes after I said what I said.

Please — your 12-digit incident number (from your ticket) ? Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Thanks for that. Yes, the team isn’t going to jump on someone for a slip of the tongue. But there’s a low tolerance for the truly nasty stuff: the hate speech, the racist comments, the repeated swearing. Honestly, we’re gamers too, and we try to exercise a good level of fairness in blocks.

(And as I said earlier in my responses, I’d like to see the 12-digit incidents numbers of those blocked for two weeks. Do be aware that if you give me that, and I see you did something deserving of that length of suspension, I will post it on the forum. So… choose wisely. )

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Bellok.4180

I 100% support names being report able since they cannot be blocked. To use Homophobic, sexist, or racist as discriptions of a person is just as intolerant as the person’s using those terms. You are no better than they are. I don’t condone the terms people use, however I respect their right to express them, and you should too. Like I said there are mechanics here in game that allow you to block them, and from my experience these people in chat are far and between that allow me to manage the content myself. It is vindictive and rude to go out of your way to ruin their gameplay just because you are silly and can’t ignore ignorant people and what they say.

Posted by: meloncash.6798

meloncash.6798

None of these people will post their incident reports cause they know they said something stupid.

Bellok.4180

None of these people will post their incident reports cause they know they said something stupid.

Yeah but who really cares, everyone has talked out of theirkittenbefore.

Posted by: Egan.6029

Egan.6029

Nailed it.

Bellok.4180

Yeah but who really cares, everyone has talked out of theirkittenbefore.

and lolz with the kitten censor for censoring an already censored version ofkitten

Posted by: Gear.6274

Gear.6274

guilty as charged, i said “kitten” maybe 3 times over the course of 2 hours. ain’t even a slur

though they’re treating me like i dressed up as the klan and ran around town screaming it from the rooftops

(edited by Gear.6274)

Bellok.4180

If it’s what I think you are saying then that word you were saying I can’t even take seriously because the group of people it refers to misuse the term much more liberally than we do.

Gear.6274

If it’s what I think you are saying then that word you were saying I can’t even take seriously because the group of people it refers to misuse the term much more liberally than we do.

Exactly, if it makes it any better, I’m spelling it with an A as opposed to ER…..

Posted by: Aria.4817

Aria.4817

We all agree to the EULA and even with the profanity filter there are still things said that violate it, trouble is we all click accept and mindlessly agree in our rush to enter the game!
Guessing are all these people that have 3 day or even 2 weeks bans did something against eula?

Aria Treedove (SDL)
Darkhaven NA Server
(semi noob wvw)

meloncash.6798

We all agree to the EULA and even with the profanity filter there are still things said that violate it, trouble is we all click accept and mindlessly agree in our rush to enter the game!
Guessing are all these people that have 3 day or even 2 weeks bans did something against eula?

The racist “Gear.6274” was banned for saying the “N” word ingame. You don’t need to read a EULA to know that will obviously get you banned. What a clown…

Gear.6274

The racist “Gear.6274” was banned for saying the “N” word ingame. You don’t need to read a EULA to know that will obviously get you banned. What a clown…

Didn’t spell it nor use it as a racial slur, get your facts straight.

Bellok.4180

He’s a clown, but to be honest this whole banning due to EULA violation is a tad rediculous. All so that some mental midget offended by the term feels warm and toasty inside.

Gear.6274

He’s a clown, but to be honest this whole banning due to EULA violation is a tad rediculous. All so that some mental midget offended by the term feels warm and toasty inside.

I bet you walk on water, right?
I bet you’ve never swore nor used an inappropriate word in your life, right?

glass houses etc you bigot.

meloncash.6798

The mental midgets are the ones using racial slurs in a game and deserve to be perma’d

Gear.6274

The mental midgets are the ones using racial slurs in a game and deserve to be perma’d

Ooft, someone got called names at school.

Bellok.4180

I say stupid things all the time. There are mental midgets who use racial slurs, and there are also mental midgets who take offense to it to the point where they have to try and ruin the game for that person out of spite. Regardless of the fact that there are in game mechanics that can shield you from that person permanently already, you have to go and get them banned.

Posted by: ZoLMiTRiPTaN.4567

ZoLMiTRiPTaN.4567

I don’t think anyone was acting out of spite when they reported Gear.6274 for letting loose with the “n” word in public chat. That’s a bona fide offensive word.

Oh… my… GLOB, Melissa!

Gear.6274

I don’t think anyone was acting out of spite when they reported Gear.6274 for letting loose with the “n” word in public chat. That’s a bona fide offensive word.

Here you go again "letting loose’’ you are acting out of spite right now tarnishing my good name!

I didn’t target anyone nor did I even spell it correctly. Clown.

Bellok.4180

I agree, that word is offensive to me, but then right click their name and hit block, and then you are done. It’s that simple. It doesn’t matter how bonafide the word is, you are being spiteful because you feel violated by the word, even though blocking the person already took care of the problem on your end, you report them. In doing so you actually violate that person’s inherent right to express his/her self. I guess there is just no such thing as ignoring idiots anymore, we have to bandage their mouths, and make them sit on their hands now.

(edited by Bellok.4180)

Posted by: ZoLMiTRiPTaN.4567

ZoLMiTRiPTaN.4567

There are no inherent rights to freedom of speech and expression in the private sector. Please brush up on your understanding of the Bill of Rights, especially the First Amendment (applicable if you’re in the US, like ANet. Though I’m sure you could get them to use your home country’s laws). ANet has authoritarian control over everything that goes on within the confines of their business, this includes their games. You agree to such when you click through the EULA and RoC.

I’ll report and block because in the end it’s up to ANet to decide if rules were broken. But, according to your argument up above, I guess since I’m not straight I can go screaming that certain “f” word in all caps while running around in WvW and not expected to get banned. Because if they can say it, so can I! Flawless logic!

Oh… my… GLOB, Melissa!

Posted by: erigais.6805

erigais.6805

while i have not been banned for any offensn i really wish they were a tad more lenient with the language bans. for one there IS a swear filter, two, you can easily ignore someone(did it a few times my self). reporting should cost you silver, that way you really think about it before reporting.

[Sekz] Officer erigais AKA Weeaboo Hunter

Posted by: Distortion.2918

Distortion.2918

I thought the chat filter was in place for a reason…

Posted by: Marx Pain.3219

Marx Pain.3219

A Quote from Guild Wars 2 Forum Code of Conduct

“Do not use profanity, insults, or personal attacks. If you have a problem with another member, contact a moderator.”

Posted by: Jen Tull.5867

Jen Tull.5867

While I support legitimate complaints for revoking a ban due to it being unnecessary, why is it so hard for people to stop being mean and cruel to each other if you don’t like someone block them or ignore them. Someone asked in General chat how they avoid being banned and I simply said try to be helpful, kind, polite and nice to others, I’m no angel but why do you feel you need to be so nasty.

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

Sincerely.

Wait, I have a question. Okay you say it’s your first offence, but your last line says you were banned for 3 days for insulting people. That would make it your second offence, not your first. Insults and a inappropriate language would both be characterized as inappropriate chat content. 2 strikes not 1. If they did one strike for every different chat offence they would have to do 1 for racism, 1 for swearing, 1 for insults, 1 for sexism, etc. All of the sudden 1 person can have like 5 first strikes? I think not…

Marx Pain.3219

Chat filter is used as a prevention tool to block profanity for those who don’t want to see such words during their game play.

It is not an excuse to use those words.

Before signing an agreement whether it is in real life or for a game I suggest reading it.

Bellok.4180

There are no inherent rights to freedom of speech and expression in the private sector. Please brush up on your understanding of the Bill of Rights, especially the First Amendment (applicable if you’re in the US, like ANet. Though I’m sure you could get them to use your home country’s laws). ANet has authoritarian control over everything that goes on within the confines of their business, this includes their games. You agree to such when you click through the EULA and RoC.

I’ll report and block because in the end it’s up to ANet to decide if rules were broken. But, according to your argument up above, I guess since I’m not straight I can go screaming that certain “f” word in all caps while running around in WvW and not expected to get banned. Because if they can say it, so can I! Flawless logic!

That’s right, but be prepared to be blocked by everyone. If you annoy enough people, you will realize that no one responds to you because you are blocked, therefore making it hard to make friends, or getting events done if you can’t communicate with others.

Bellok.4180

Chat filter is used as a prevention tool to block profanity for those who don’t want to see such words during their game play.

It is not an excuse to use those words.

Before signing an agreement whether it is in real life or for a game I suggest reading it.

Yes, the chat filter is an early warning sign telling you that if you don’t like profanity to block them. Personally I think signing an agreement to talk a certain way is stupid when they have the filter, and the block option. It’s main function is ONLY to gaurentee full control of their game. So if they don’t like a certain person they can ban them through technicalities.

Posted by: ZeCooL.8105

ZeCooL.8105

Is it honestly so hard not to be a kitten for you guys?
You have to go through all these mental wrestling with yourself and others just to convince yourself that your inappropriate behaviour and douchbaggery is not a bannable offense.
Well, I have a solution, stop acting like you did. It is not tolerated in this game and it is not tolerated in civilised societies.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

I find it interesting that the complainers didn’t post their support ticket number as requested.

I applaud ANet for their zero tolerance policy towards rude people, and their effort to try to avoid this game to turn into WoW’s barrens chat. Finally, a MMORPG developer has the courage to do it. It will only make up for a better community at the end. And if you don’t want to be banned… don’t swear! Pretty simple. All normal adults should have that level of self control, specially since this is not spoken language but written language.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Marx Pain.3219

That’s right, but be prepared to be blocked by everyone. If you annoy enough people, you will realize that no one responds to you because you are blocked, therefore making it hard to make friends, or getting events done if you can’t communicate with others.

A majority of players do not go around cursing and making racial slurs in open chat. If a person is blocked because of such remarks it is safe to say that the person doing the blocking dose not want to be friends with the offenders. In a game were you are playing with thousands of others I hardly see how your hypothesis would be accurate.

Posted by: Noobless.8592

Noobless.8592

Same here, I got banned for 334 hours(14 days aka 2 weeks) for Racial slurs. I remember saying the word kitten a few times to my FRIENDS but it was never in a unfriendly way or a racist way, thats how I like talking to my friends and people and no one has told me that it hurt them in any way. I agree that I should be punished but come on 14 days? Isnt that a bit steep? Anyhow I posted a support ticket and my number is :120904005098
My character is called Noobless on underworld EU I guess.
Id appreciate help please asap, thanks in advance!
Its not ‘kitten’ but I guess its censored

Posted by: Noobless.8592

Noobless.8592

Thanks for that. Yes, the team isn’t going to jump on someone for a slip of the tongue. But there’s a low tolerance for the truly nasty stuff: the hate speech, the racist comments, the repeated swearing. Honestly, we’re gamers too, and we try to exercise a good level of fairness in blocks.

(And as I said earlier in my responses, I’d like to see the 12-digit incidents numbers of those blocked for two weeks. Do be aware that if you give me that, and I see you did something deserving of that length of suspension, I will post it on the forum. So… choose wisely. )

Posted my ticket number for you

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

But what happens when some1 is reporting you for being a racist, or you swear and actually you didn’t do any of these things. Will A-net ban you as well or can they see all the things you have typed?

Does the profanity only works in english or in other languages as well?

(Mostly I’m on teamspeak and in dutch, so it’s perfectly save)

Piken Square

Bellok.4180

A majority of players do not go around cursing and making racial slurs in open chat. If a person is blocked because of such remarks it is safe to say that the person doing the blocking dose not want to be friends with the offenders. In a game were you are playing with thousands of others I hardly see how your hypothesis would be accurate.

So you are agreeing with me, but then disagreeing with the “hypothesis”? How are you mixing fact with hypothesis? I’m stating fact that if you go around in chat acting like an idiot you should expect to be blocked by most level headed people, and therefore may end up finding a hard time making friends. That is fact my friend, not a theorey.

Korrigan.4837

But what happens when some1 is reporting you for being a racist, or you swear and actually you didn’t do any of these things. Will A-net ban you as well or can they see all the things you have typed?

Does the profanity only works in english or in other languages as well?

(Mostly I’m on teamspeak and in dutch, so it’s perfectly save)

Like in other MMORPGs, you can be sure A-Net can review their chat logs and see if you really broke rules or not.

And about the languages… would profanity no longer be profanity just because it’s in another language? You can be sure that if I see someone using racial slurs in one of the languages I know, I will report him (I have zero tolerance for that type of rudeness).

Bellok.4180

I find it interesting that the complainers didn’t post their support ticket number as requested.

I applaud ANet for their zero tolerance policy towards rude people, and their effort to try to avoid this game to turn into WoW’s barrens chat. Finally, a MMORPG developer has the courage to do it. It will only make up for a better community at the end. And if you don’t want to be banned… don’t swear! Pretty simple. All normal adults should have that level of self control, specially since this is not spoken language but written language.

I was never banned, I’m just playing devil advocate because I find that most people who complain about racial slurs, sexism, etc are some of the worst offenders, and tend to think that their opinion is all that matters. Granted there are those screaming the f bomb repeatedly only to get a rise out of people should possibly be given a time out, same with the n word and stuff like that. However I don’t find the ocassional n word, or f bomb to be a problem at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and should be able to state it, whether you agree with it or not, you should just ignore it by blocking them if it bothers you enough. It should not get you banned whatsoever. Like I said earlier, THE ABSOLUTE WORST OFFENDERS for the n word, are those who the word is directed towards anyways.

Korrigan.4837

That famous “n” word is openly racist, and should get and instant ban without thinking twice. I don’t even understand how someone can defend this unless their are (ab)using that word themself.

Bellok.4180

That famous “n” word is openly racist, and should get and instant ban without thinking twice. I don’t even understand how someone can defend this unless their are (ab)using that word themself.

Did you play SWG?

Bellok.4180

If you are who I think you are, then you know I am not the person who uses that kind of language. I may swear, but I do not use racial slurs.