Naming Violation or misunderstanding

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: nipper.4567

nipper.4567

I’m gonna start this off by saying, I did make the mistake of violating the name thing once with the name Senor Nipple. I did not name it this for any reason in particular. I wanted a name somewhat similar to my normal name, Nipper. Sometimes my friends call me Nipple for whatever reason. Clearly I didn’t think much about it. My mistake, I’m sorry.

So I get the warning and am made to change the name. Okay no big deal. I go with Mr Nipperz. Why? My main is Nipperz and I’m not very creative when it comes to character names. Now I’m suspended for 72 hours.

After a very drawn out discussion over email with customer support, it turns out that Nipper is a sexual reference. This makes no sense to me. How is it I’ve played since launch with this name and only now after a small infraction is it bad? I use Nipper in just about every game I’ve played since WoW. Nipper is also my nickname IRL.. Just for reference Nipper in the English dictionary means kid or something similar to pliers. That has no bearing on why I use the name Nipper but neither does any sexual reference.

What say you GW2 forums. Is Nipper close enough to a sexual reference to warrant a 72 hour ban?

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Nipper is a lesser known racial slur for Japanese people.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

nipper.4567

My suspension was based on Nipper being a sexual reference but thanks for helping my case mate.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

How can it be a sexual reference with no context? The only real reason why it’s a sexual reference is if whoever was reading it is a pervert. Honestly are people that immature these days?

Also when you google “definition nipper” you don’t get sexual reference at all. This is clearly a wrongful ban, if you ask me. I recommend you push your case further. Honestly, if something like this can get you banned, then any name in the world can be offensive to anybody.

Which is only applicable if there is a context. In this case there is not.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

(edited by Loli Ruri.8307)

Posted by: Sahfur.5612

Sahfur.5612

It might have been an error. I was infracted twice for the same post moments ago… XD

Double jeopardy much?

Anyway, nipper isn’t even slightly offensive to me, it can also be the name of someone who nips, aka bites lightly.

There are famous dogs named nippers..
Nippers are also a form of pliers.
A famous dog was indeed named nippers.
——————-
We like owl symbolism and lots of money. We love the entertainment industry. We shape it.
I like owls. I find them very illuminating.
<o>
/|
——————

Anyway, I think if the most distant slurs are accepted as offensive the word list will grow too large. Accepting Archaic stuff just halts progress on most things. I’d never find that word offensive and I have quite a wide vocabulary.

Plants, As far as I know are still, still bending toward
the light! And if we dance, until the heart explodes,
It’ll make this place ignite!

(edited by Sahfur.5612)

Smooth Penguin.5294

So I’m guessing you think Anet should allow the “N” word that people use to refer to African Americans, if only because a player doesn’t mean it in a bad way? Sure that word is Spanish for black, so it must be ok in that context?

Realize that all it takes is one player to find offense in it, and report the name. Be it a cute slang for nipples, or the use of a racial slur, and Anet will take action. If the name passes the Support Team’s internal vetting process, then the OP gets to keep the name. If not, then he has to change it. Simple as that.

Loli Ruri.8307

So I’m guessing you think Anet should allow the “N” word that people use to refer to African Americans, if only because a player doesn’t mean it in a bad way? Sure that word is Spanish for black, so it must be ok in that context?

Realize that all it takes is one player to find offense in it, and report the name. Be it a cute slang for nipples, or the use of a racial slur, and Anet will take action. If the name passes the Support Team’s internal vetting process, then the OP gets to keep the name. If not, then he has to change it. Simple as that.

1st
When somebody uses the infamous “N” racial offensive word that people refer to as African American, the default context is the racial offensive meaning. There is no other definition that could be default without any context suggested or stated. Not only that, but nobody is going to believe that you were using the word for a different context, and will in all aspect find it offensive, unless you’re also talking to a fellow brother, but you certainly wouldn’t talk that way in a game like this, it’s against the rules. You never know if somebody whom is eaves dropping will take offense or not. However as for Nipper, in no way is the default context or meaning referring to as a racial offensive meaning or context. This is the difference between chalk and cheese really.

2nd
You can appeal this, and some have been successful in an appeal. Honestly saying this is a matter of racism is a joke at best.

Smooth Penguin.5294

1st
When somebody uses the infamous “N” racial offensive word that people refer to as not just African American, but also as lower class citizens, the default context is the racial offensive meaning. There is no other definition that could be default without any context suggested or stated. Not only that, but nobody is going to believe that you were using the word for a different context, and will in all aspect find it offensive, unless you’re also talking to a fellow brother, but you certainly wouldn’t talk that way in a game like this, it’s against the rules. You never know if somebody whom is eaves dropping will take offense or not. However as for Nipper, in no way is the default context or meaning referring to as a racial offensive meaning or context. This is the difference between chalk and cheese really.

2nd
You can appeal this, and some have been successful in an appeal. Honestly saying this is a matter of racism is a joke at best.

As I said earlier. All it takes is 1 person to be offended, and then click on the report button. Doesn’t matter if you feel the name is harmless or not. Heck, I’m Japanese myself, and I don’t take offense. That doesn’t change the fact that it may be offensive to others. What really matter is how Anet views it. If the Support Team feels the word is ok, then the OP is safe. If it’s a gray area, and feel it may insult Japanese players, it’ll be blacklisted.

Side note – Anet already had to censor all Asian themes in the game. That’s why there’s no more Cantha-town (aka The Great Collapse).

Loli Ruri.8307

Then people can get banned for any name. There will always be haters in this world, and the chance somebody will agree.

Posted by: Michael.4791

Michael.4791

Then people can get banned for any name. There will always be haters in this world, and the chance somebody will agree.

Yes, that is a problem for international games. They have to be more careful than might be necessary. But that is not only Anet’s fault, if anybody feels wounded he runs to a lawyer the next second. That might get expensive if you are not restrictive.

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Since when? Im sorry but thats completely nonsense.

“Nipper” is english slang (now in the dictionary) for a child. It is also the name of the dog used in the painting “his masters voice”. I have never EVER once heard it used as a curse, nor have I ever heard of anyone from Japan every complaining that it is used as such. Nor does google support your view as every search for “Nipper” provides ZERO references to racist remarks.

Methinks someone just made that up as an excuse.

Michael.4791

That somebody don’t know about some special meaning, does not mean it does not exist. And pointing into other areas where that name would be accepted, don’t prove anything too.
BTW pointing to worse samples is useless as well.

Point is: somebody complained. Anet checked and found some reason. Anet had to react, because they said they would act in their legal papers.
Result: name is to be changed, discussion is to be ended.

Lexandro.1456

Thats not how it works in the real world.

I could be offended by someone called “milk drinker” lodge a complaint and threated legal action. Anet have ZERO obligations to respond to that, because milk drink is not and never has been a racist or derogatary term.

Nipper has never been a racist term, if you think that is the case then more the fool you. This is almost as stupid as someone claiming “niggled/niggling” is racist, when its an extremely widely used term for something that irritates; IE “The player had a niggling injury last season” or “That burn mark niggled for a while till I put cream on it”.

Words have meanings. If we go around banning every word that someone has used in an insulting manner there would be no names left.

PS It is not a “name” it is a noun;

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/nipper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noun

Loli Ruri.8307

Anyways obviously this is a mistake. I know I’m not affiliated with the Anet staff, but I’m not a fool and I can see there’s nothing wrong here. Just file your ticket with as much evidence to support your claims as possible. As for the people arguing racism, I can’t see any evidence to support your claims, and I’m not blind or ignorant. And anyways it’s not up to us to judge. We can only advise the OP as to what decision to make at this point.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It is also the name of the dog used in the painting “his masters voice”.

This is your answer right here. It’s a copyrighted tradmark so it violates Anets naming policy.

We do not permit names that:
•Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products.

That pretty much sums it up right there. You can try to appeal as they gave you a different reason, but that above is good enough reason alone.

Lexandro.1456

This is your answer right here. It’s a copyrighted tradmark so it violates Anets naming policy.

•Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products.

That pretty much sums it up right there. You can try to appeal as they gave you a different reason, but that above is good enough reason alone.

It is not a trademarked name, im sorry thats completely wrong. It is simply a piece of information ABOUT the painting. The trade mark is “HMV” not nipper.

TLDR; Your wrong sorry.

(edited by Lexandro.1456)

Loli Ruri.8307

Are you sure it’s copyrighted, or even a trademark? “his masters voice” is a trademark, but not the name Nipper. I think you got it all wrong here!

Michael.4791

I’ve checked the information myself. Thank you.
But that I or you are not able to find something, doesn’t mean there isn’t anything.

Anyway, the forum is the wrong place to do so. A ticket with support would be best. But then, why should I stick to a name, if I’m told to change. I’m out of the western cultural heritage, but I don’t know what other cultures have on rules. I’m bound to believe some person who decides.
Personally I try to avoid those problems, but who knows, somebody might point one of my toons to Anet. I don’t think that to be happening, but if it does, I’m not going to discuss it. I will change and I will continue playing. The only thing I might try is to remove some bad marks, because I did not do anything on purpose. But even here I will ask only once, if they don’t accept it, it would not bother me anymore.
There is more important things to worry about.

Loli Ruri.8307

What information did you check? And what are your references? If your references are urban dictionary, please stop right there; because that is not a source of credible information.

Lexandro.1456

Indeed Ruri. People are making assumtions and jumping to conclusions based on faulty logic and wrong information.

Nipper is not trademarked, it is an EXTREMELY commonly used word in the UK for a child, and is not a racist or derogatory term.

Michael.4791

What information did you check? And what are your references? If your references are urban dictionary, please stop right there; because that is not a source of credible information.

I googled the name and I checked almost 10 different sites. Google is not necessarily the promoter of all wisdom or the truth, but I guess that I didn’t miss out on many good sources. Among them at least 5 dictionaries (not necessary the urban ones, but some with a better name).

Loli Ruri.8307

I googled the name and I checked almost 10 different sites. Google is not necessarily the promoter of all wisdom or the truth, but I guess that I didn’t miss out on many good sources. Among them at least 5 dictionaries (not necessary the urban ones, but some with a better name).

I’m googling the name and can’t find any credible websites that promote your statement. Not only that, but even if you were right, there still has to be a context to suggest what you are saying. Right there your whole argument falls apart. I’m sorry, but I’m not convinced.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Are you sure it’s copyrighted, or even a trademark? “his masters voice” is a trademark, but not the name Nipper. I think you got it all wrong here!

Yes, I am sure, the name “Nipper” is the copyrighted name of the dog in the painting, which is itself a copyrighted image/logo.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It is not a trademarked name, im sorry thats completely wrong. It is simply a piece of information ABOUT the painting. The trade mark is “HMV” not nipper.

TLDR; Your wrong sorry.

Don’t be sorry, because you are wrong. RCA was the original copyright holder to the name “Nipper”, the dog in the HMV painting, . The image in the painting was copyrighted as a logo. It is still in use, and is still copyrighted as is the name of the dog in the image.

FYI, don’t search the word “nipper” because you will only find the common meanings. Try searching RCA copyright nipper chipper (the younger version of the dog) or a combination of them. In the US, it’s a very well known logo/trademark and most of the older generation probobly remembers him much better then the younger players.

Here you go, found the info myself a few seconds with a single search.
http://tv.rca.com/company/history.asp

(edited by ShiningSquirrel.3751)

Lexandro.1456

To quote

With that exception, the “His Master’s Voice” dog and gramophone image is in the public domain in the USA, its United States trademark registrations having expired in 1989 (for sound recordings and phonograph cabinets), 1992 (television sets, television-radio combination sets), and 1994 (sound recording and reproducing machines, needles, and records).

It is public domain in the US , which means anyone in the US can use it freely. In the UK it is not recognised as a TM as its HMV that is the TM.

Michael.4791

I’m googling the name and can’t find any credible websites that promote your statement. Not only that, but even if you were right, there still has to be a context to suggest what you are saying. Right there your whole argument falls apart. I’m sorry, but I’m not convinced.

Sorry, but I don’t need you to accept or verify my searches and my knowledge.
Additionally, you are fighting against the wrong person here. I defend the right of Anet to make decisions on names.

I am only accepting that there might be outside sources that are saying the name is NO problem. Which does not change anything about the rights of Anet to make decisions about it.

I’m just trying to see both sides.

Loli Ruri.8307

TLDR; Your wrong sorry.

Don’t be sorry, because you are wrong. RCA was the original copyright holder to the name “Nipper”, the dog in the HMV painting, . The image in the painting was copyrighted as a logo. It is still in use, and is still copyrighted as is the name of the dog in the image.

FYI, don’t search the word “nipper” because you will only find the common meanings. Try searching RCA copyright nipper chipper (the younger version of the dog) or a combination of them. In the US, it’s a very well known logo/trademark and most of the older generation probobly remembers him much better then the younger players.

Wrong, mascot’s name is not a trademark, nor is it copyrighted. “His Master’s Voice” is the trademark, not the actual name “Nipper”.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

To quote

With that exception, the “His Master’s Voice” dog and gramophone image is in the public domain in the USA, its United States trademark registrations having expired in 1989 (for sound recordings and phonograph cabinets), 1992 (television sets, television-radio combination sets), and 1994 (sound recording and reproducing machines, needles, and records).

It is public domain in the US , which means anyone in the US can use it freely. In the UK it is not recognised as a TM as its HMV that is the TM.

If your going to quote, quote the whole thing. Your also referancing the image, while it’s the name that is important here, but since you want to quote sources.

“The image of “His Master’s Voice” now exists in the United States as a trademark only on radios and radios combined with phonographs, a trademark owned by Technicolor subsidiary RCA Trademark Management SA"

So if the “image” is still a trademark, it still falls under the naming policy as a violation.

In the end, it is up to Anet. They useally err on the side of caution, so it’s anybodys guess what they will do.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

TLDR; Your wrong sorry.

Wrong, mascot’s name is not a trademark, nor is it copyrighted. “His Master’s Voice” is the trademark, not the actual name “Nipper”.

That’s your opiniuon, but the facts say something different.

Loli Ruri.8307

What facts?
Even your link doesn’t support what you claim. Have a look:
It only mentions the name as the name of the dog being a mascot. It refers to the painting “His Master’s Voice” as the trademark “acquired by the Radio Corporation of America.”

I’m not convinced, especially when you come here and say “That’s your opiniuon” and talk about “facts” without supporting evidence. And why does it matter? Why debate this? Because this is somebody’s in-game name that has been ripped away. Yes it’s not our choice to decide, but what am I supposed to do when somebody says it’s a trademark when it’s clearly not?

ShiningSquirrel.3751

What facts?
Even your link doesn’t support what you claim. Have a look:
It only mentions the name as the name of the dog being a mascot. It refers to the painting “His Master’s Voice” as the trademark “acquired by the Radio Corporation of America.”

I’m not convinced, especially when you come here and say “That’s your opiniuon” and talk about “facts” without supporting evidence. And why does it matter? Why debate this? Because this is somebody’s in-game name that has been ripped away. Yes it’s not our choice to decide, but what am I supposed to do when somebody says it’s a trademark when it’s clearly not?

According the the US patent office, the name “Nipper”, Chipper" the image of the dog and the record player as well as the phrase “His Masters Voice” are currently owned by “RCA TRADEMARK MANAGEMENT SA CORPORATION FRANCE 46 Quai Alphonse le Gallo Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE” The registrations are active and enforced.

I already said it was up to Anet, but you chose to ignore that. I gave you the terms to search for, and you chose to ignore that as well, but you where quick to jump on Michael’s search. It’s all a moot point. “Nipper” is the registered trademark and name of several bars, a toe nail clipper, a line of clothing, a toy, a drink and half a dozen other things. Your opinion means nothing . My opinion means nothing, no one heres opinion means anything, not even the OP. The only opinion that matters is Anet, and that is between Anet and the OP.

Michael.4791

Sorry, you are wrong again, he did his own search and pointed me to it. I just answered thank you, because I did my own research. I never linked to my resarch, that was the other poster.
You seem to get mixed up here.

And we are here with Anet’s place. We promised to follow the rules. So, the facts don’t mean nothing. If Anet thinks that they have enough evidence, that is the end of the line.
Discussion not necessary and according to Anet rules not allowed too.

Loli Ruri.8307

I had a look on the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) and found that the trademarks “Nipper” are dead. The only things close to it that are live, are only similar in name, but not the same. If there was an issue for Nipper alone, then each of those companies with similar names should sue each other. Either way, I looked and found nothing to support your case.

Also stated that it’s upto Anet, and that the op needs to bring this up with Anet customer support.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The only connotation I can find for “nipper” is “a young person.” I’ve heard the expression, like “When I was a young nipper…” and it was not offensive or intended to be offensive at all. I have heard of a related word — abbreviated form, but different, in my opinion — that is very offensive for people of Japanese descent, but I don’t see that this is connected.

You have had a series of name blocks, Nipper, but I’ll investigate this and we’ll figure it out. No more use of… that other words, now, y’hear? Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

nipper.4567

But that I or you are not able to find something, doesn’t mean there isn’t anything.

Anyway, the forum is the wrong place to do so. A ticket with support would be best. But then, why should I stick to a name, if I’m told to change. I’m out of the western cultural heritage, but I don’t know what other cultures have on rules. I’m bound to believe some person who decides.
Personally I try to avoid those problems, but who knows, somebody might point one of my toons to Anet. I don’t think that to be happening, but if it does, I’m not going to discuss it. I will change and I will continue playing. The only thing I might try is to remove some bad marks, because I did not do anything on purpose. But even here I will ask only once, if they don’t accept it, it would not bother me anymore.
There is more important things to worry about.

I did challenge this ruling. What I got for my trouble was my entire roster of characters names to be changed when I’m allowed to log in tomorrow. At first they were only imposing the name change on 1 “Nipper” toon. I wonder now if my account and display name is gonna get changed as well. What about my email? What happens to any other Nipper’s out there? I know there are quite a few as I couldn’t claim anything decent as I renamed Senor Nipple. Name taken, not name restricted FYI.

What bugs me most about this is not the name change. As much as I am attached to the name Nipper, I can deal without. This suspension was extremely heavy handed. I’m being treated as if I were a cheater or someone actively trying to ruin the game’s experience by the GMs. This on top of being royally screwed on my monthly acheivement, which was at 93%. But hey I’m a bad guy for using Nipper in my names right? I deserve this.

Another ticket would most certainly do nothing. Can I dispute this in another way? I’d like to see someone looking into the way GMs handle cases like these at the very least. At best, being throw a bone on the monthly achievement.

As a side note, I’m so happy to see there are nice forum users. I hesitated to post anything due to the typical flaming you see on WoW or D3 forums.

Michael.4791

That is why I said, I would try to get my bad name cleared again. As I said several times, I don’t see anything bad in it. But my opinion or knowledge doesn’t cover the world. I’m just a small human being. Thus I try to be neutral and I try to see the best in anyone.
That said, I hope anything gets checked and if there is no insult, there should be left no fog of war on a normal player. I wish you the best.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Ok — after an extensive discussion, here’s what we’re doing: We have uncensored the names and removed the suspension. However… here’s what you need to know: If the name is reported again, it may be censored again if the agent who reviews it feels it is across the line. I personally don’t feel that Nipper is offensive at all, but there may be folks who disagree with that opinion.

I am not sure how bound you are to the names and you now have a couple of choices:

1. Play the characters and take the chance
  2. do a “voluntary rename”

We do not do renames “upon request” but we will in some special situations, like this one.

If you wish to continue to play on the characters, you’re good to go. If you wish to rename, please submit a ticket and ask that it be escalated to me personally, so I can get involved in the rename process. (You’re welcome to include a link to this thread in your ticket, as well.)

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Smooth Penguin.5294

Anet looked into both sides of the discussion, and found that the name’s OK. This is why I love their Support Team.

Although I would like to know if the Japanese racial slur Gaile’s heard about is just spelled similar to “Nipper”, or just sounds similar.

nipper.4567

Ok — after an extensive discussion, here’s what we’re doing: We have uncensored the names and removed the suspension. However… here’s what you need to know: If the name is reported again, it may be censored again if the agent who reviews it feels it is across the line. I personally don’t feel that Nipper is offensive at all, but there may be folks who disagree with that opinion.

I am not sure how bound you are to the names and you now have a couple of choices:

1. Play the characters and take the chance
  2. do a “voluntary rename”

We do not do renames “upon request” but we will in some special situations, like this one.

If you wish to continue to play on the characters, you’re good to go. If you wish to rename, please submit a ticket and ask that it be escalated to me personally, so I can get involved in the rename process. (You’re welcome to include a link to this thread in your ticket, as well.)

Thanks.

Thank you Gaile. This has been very frustrating. I would very much like to keep the names.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Nipper sounds like loot I would get after killing a crab (that’s what hit me first anyways, reminds me of a loot I used to get after killing a crab in RO). I’m not the most innocent guy out there but I certainly don’t see any sexual reference in this word. I must say, the person who did find this to be offensive must be a bit over in the darkkkk side :o

Posted by: BlueStoat.9157

BlueStoat.9157

Just going to go out on a slightly racist limb here. would nipples in “engrish” be nippers/nipperz. May be that the only reason is that it sounds like you just tried to type the name in an accent.

As to proper use of a word…
Niger ursus est magnus. translation: The black bear is large.

There is a reason my Sylvari is named blue oak rather than black oak (beyond most of my characters being some shade of blue).

my post is probably censored…

(edited by BlueStoat.9157)