New account suspended

New account suspended

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Duda.9845

Duda.9845

Q:

Hello,

Dudas friend “cAu.1953” speaking.

I have a ticket opened by ID: “Incident: 121205-000035”.

This is the reason of my suspension stated by NCsoft:

“Your purchase for Guild Wars 2 was voided as a result of being found too high risk to accept. The purchase attempt displayed characteristics that are currently found in numerous fraudulent transactions.”

My question to Gaile is:

“Why didn’t you just reject the payment in the first place and said it was too risky. Instead, you took my money and now i don’t have access to the service i paid. I believe you are aware that is called ROBBERY.

Also, do you have ANY proof that my payment is in numerous fraudulent transactions and why is my payment in high risk area ?? I can send you any proof you need that I AM and ever WILL BE the owner of the credit card which I used on numerous sites like eBay, BattleNet, etc. if not through PayPal (site which also has no problem with my credit card) then by using the full card information like on your LEGAL site.

I believe that it is a given that i expect a FULL refund if you do not reopen my account because otherwise I have every right and believe me I will sue and haunt you until i get my money that you practically STOLE from me.

Seeing as I am not the only one with this problem and you have tendency to wait with answers on such questions, you can expect to see this matter published on every possible forum and other public sites until this gets resolved and so people know who are they getting into business with."

Regards,
Very angry/dissapointed customer

New account suspended

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

A:

I just spoke with the Billing Team lead, and she explained to me that although you were using a debit card, you were using it as a credit card because we don’t have the technology to accept a PIN, etc. Therefore, the situation that prompted the rejection of the purchase was related to the use as a CC, and you were not charged.

You may see an “authorization” for a day or two, but you will not see a charge on your account, and the money will not be withdrawn, because the purchase was cancelled.

This can be frustrating, I know, and it can happen for reasons that the customer doesn’t understand. What a few players have told me is that because their credit card details don’t match their current information, the CC can be rejected out of concerns that it may be fraudulent or stolen. Their workaround: They bought a boxed copy from a local store, contacted Support, and with the team’s help, added the retail code to the account and were good to go.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

New account suspended

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Hello,

Dudas friend “cAu.1953” speaking.

I have a ticket opened by ID: “Incident: 121205-000035”.

This is the reason of my suspension stated by NCsoft:

“Your purchase for Guild Wars 2 was voided as a result of being found too high risk to accept. The purchase attempt displayed characteristics that are currently found in numerous fraudulent transactions.”

My question to Gaile is:

“Why didn’t you just reject the payment in the first place and said it was too risky. Instead, you took my money and now i don’t have access to the service i paid. I believe you are aware that is called ROBBERY.

Also, do you have ANY proof that my payment is in numerous fraudulent transactions and why is my payment in high risk area ?? I can send you any proof you need that I AM and ever WILL BE the owner of the credit card which I used on numerous sites like eBay, BattleNet, etc. if not through PayPal (site which also has no problem with my credit card) then by using the full card information like on your LEGAL site.

I believe that it is a given that i expect a FULL refund if you do not reopen my account because otherwise I have every right and believe me I will sue and haunt you until i get my money that you practically STOLE from me.

Seeing as I am not the only one with this problem and you have tendency to wait with answers on such questions, you can expect to see this matter published on every possible forum and other public sites until this gets resolved and so people know who are they getting into business with."

Regards,
Very angry/dissapointed customer

In cases like this, we do not take your money or, alternately, once the fraud risk is found to be too high, we immediately refund the money. Reading your ticket, you were not charged. (You may have seen an “authorization” but that was not completed and the funds were not taken from your account.)

In other words, we don’t charge you, let you play, then boot you out of the game and keep your money. Now, we cannot refund your money if you bought from someone else. If you were defrauded by an unauthorized seller, then you need to contact them, get a refund, and, if you wish, work with Support to add a new, valid code to your existing account (when it’s allowable).

Your ticket is just one day old. These are given a high priority, and I’m sure you will helped personally and very soon. If you need to do so, post in the “Tickets for Review” sticky thread after three days and I’ll investigate. But again, I believe you’ll be helped soon.

Lastly, you suggest “Why not block the purchase first?” I think that would be a great thing to do, and I’ve asked the same myself. The thing is, the credit card appears to go through and only gets rejected afterwards. So we, out of trust that the payment will be valid, allow the creation of an account, but must close that account when the risk is found to exceed acceptable levels OR when the code is found to have been invalidated by the third-party seller having use a stolen credit card (which sometimes take a couple of weeks to discover) or having done a charge-back on the card.

We are looking at betters means of handling fraud risks and other situations like this and hope for reduced numbers of these situations, even while they are pretty much outside our control.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

New account suspended

Duda.9845

In cases like this, we do not take your money or, alternately, once the fraud risk is found to be too high, we immediately refund the money. Reading your ticket, you were not charged. (You may have seen an “authorization” but that was not completed and the funds were not taken from your account.)

I honestly do not know what are you talking about because the second i bought the game on your legal site, the money on my debit card was taken and since then i didn’t get any refund whatsoever.

I apologize for sounding rude, but i believe you can understand how angry/disappointed I am even if it has passed only a day or two. Doesn’t matter because as I stated you didn’t give me any proof of any fraud committed and you are the first site/company that gave me such problems.

New account suspended

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I honestly do not know what are you talking about because the second i bought the game on your legal site, the money on my debit card was taken and since then i didn’t get any refund whatsoever.

I apologize for sounding rude, but i believe you can understand how angry/disappointed I am even if it has passed only a day or two. Doesn’t matter because as I stated you didn’t give me any proof of any fraud committed and you are the first site/company that gave me such problems.

Yes, I do understand. Ok, I see you used a debit card and you bought from us. That does sound odd!

I will look into this right now.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

New account suspended

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Galie, allow me to add to this.

cAu.195, debit cards act as both an ATM card and a Credit Card. The ATM transaction part rely on the use of a PIN code, and the funds are immediately taken from your account. When used as a Credit Card (via Visa or Mastercard), an authorization is requested, putting the value of the purchase on “hold”. So it may look as if the money was deducted, but in actuality, it’s sitting in limbo. This is to give the merchant (in this case Anet) a chance to either complete the transaction (thereby they collect the money owed to them), or reject/cancel the transaction. If the transaction is canceled, the “hold” on the money is released back into your account’s available balance. Depending on your bank, the money may not show up right away. It can take a few business days before bank customers see their money “available” again.

If this transaction was done recently, you’ll need to contact your bank and ask a representative for details. They can give you a better time frame as to when the “hold” will be lifted. If it’s an emergency, the bank may be able to manually release the held money, but again, each back is different.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

New account suspended

Duda.9845

Thank you both very much for your information.

Again, I apologize for overreacting maybe but as I’ve said. It’s just that I’ve never had such problems in my previous numerous transactions. And you can agree that it isn’t just any amount of money.

I hope that as you said, the money will be refunded and as you advised, I will check with the bank for more info.

Regards,
cAu.1953

New account suspended

Posted by: Undermine.5391

Undermine.5391

Alternatively, ArenaNet Accepts paypal.

You can link a verified credit card/debit card to your paypal account. When a purchase exceeds your balance, the paypal system draws from your credit card. This is a beautiful system that they have to mask your CC# but gives you a secure transaction.

You may also draft the funds from your bank account and pay directly from your Paypal Balance.

Finally, you can purchase a GreenDOT and add the purchase cost to the GreenDOT then log into your Paypal and go through the steps to move the funds from the GreenDOT to your Paypal then purchase the game from your paypal.

Or do as Gale said, go to the store and buy a retail copy of the game, and register a new account or contact support and have the retail code applied to your existing account.

From what I have read here, it does sound like the funds you used to purchase the game was merely in a Auth Hold state. Fortunately, it is Friday so the banks will be available to you to remove the hold and make the funds available for alternative means to purchase the game.

(edited by Undermine.5391)

New account suspended

Duda.9845

Oh yea, about the Paypal, I must say this is the first time i have come across this kind of paying. Usually you just select Paypal method and type the username/pass then the site redirects you direct to Paypal and so on..

But in this case, if you want to pay with Paypal, before that you have to select a country. And since my country isn’t on the list, I used the “normal” method.

I always prefer Paypal if I can. It just wasn’t possible in this case.

New account suspended

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I just spoke with the Billing Team lead, and she explained to me that although you were using a debit card, you were using it as a credit card because we don’t have the technology to accept a PIN, etc. Therefore, the situation that prompted the rejection of the purchase was related to the use as a CC, and you were not charged.

Gaile, could I get a clarification on this? I’m not the original poster, but it seemed silly to start a new thread for the same thing.

Is this never allowed, or is the problem only when the debit card isn’t issued with the logo of a major credit card?

The reason I ask is, I do almost all my online shopping with a debit card issued through one of the major credit card companies. The card is specifically designed to be processed as a credit card when needed, and in fact my banking rep recommended that I key it in as credit whenever possible even for in-person transactions to avoid point of sale debit fees. This has never been an issue with any major retailer (the card is my default credit card for Barnes & Noble, etc.)

Does ANet have different policies than most retailers about the use of credit/debit cards, or should I assume that if it works everywhere else it’ll work with GW also? Just wanted to make sure before it becomes an issue. Thanks!

New account suspended

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Gaile, could I get a clarification on this? I’m not the original poster, but it seemed silly to start a new thread for the same thing.

Is this never allowed, or is the problem only when the debit card isn’t issued with the logo of a major credit card?

The reason I ask is, I do almost all my online shopping with a debit card issued through one of the major credit card companies. The card is specifically designed to be processed as a credit card when needed, and in fact my banking rep recommended that I key it in as credit whenever possible even for in-person transactions to avoid point of sale debit fees. This has never been an issue with any major retailer (the card is my default credit card for Barnes & Noble, etc.)

Does ANet have different policies than most retailers about the use of credit/debit cards, or should I assume that if it works everywhere else it’ll work with GW also? Just wanted to make sure before it becomes an issue. Thanks!

Debit cards are fine, as long as they function properly as a credit card. Now, I am not a debit card user, but I think some do double-duty as CCs, and some do not. If the debit card will function as a CC, and as long as other fraud-related flags are not raised, the purchase should work just fine.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

New account suspended

Posted by: bazutti.8042

bazutti.8042

Gaile,

Just adding to this for you incase it helps. The other day (last Tuesday I believe) I purchased this game. I first tried to purchase it via your website. It failed numerous times. I called my CC provider and they assured me my account wasn’t flagged, etc. We verified the information a few times and still there was no success. I then tried PayPal as an option, and that also was rejected.

This is the sole credit card that I own, and it is not a debit card. Transactions from earlier that day with other vendors worked fine. I did contact support about it. I then purchased a copy from Amazon just fine and updated support that while they don’t need to follow up with me, there was, indeed, some type of issue with your payment system in obtaining my money via credit card and PayPal. Also, I am from the US, so it couldn’t have been an international issue. Just giving a heads up incase it helps this case at all.

New account suspended

Previous

Gaile Gray

Gaile,

Just adding to this for you incase it helps. The other day (last Tuesday I believe) I purchased this game. I first tried to purchase it via your website. It failed numerous times. I called my CC provider and they assured me my account wasn’t flagged, etc. We verified the information a few times and still there was no success. I then tried PayPal as an option, and that also was rejected.

This is the sole credit card that I own, and it is not a debit card. Transactions from earlier that day with other vendors worked fine. I did contact support about it. I then purchased a copy from Amazon just fine and updated support that while they don’t need to follow up with me, there was, indeed, some type of issue with your payment system in obtaining my money via credit card and PayPal. Also, I am from the US, so it couldn’t have been an international issue. Just giving a heads up incase it helps this case at all.

Great, detailed info. Thank you for sharing — I will pass this along.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

New account suspended

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Debit cards are fine, as long as they function properly as a credit card. Now, I am not a debit card user, but I think some do double-duty as CCs, and some do not. If the debit card will function as a CC, and as long as other fraud-related flags are not raised, the purchase should work just fine.

Thanks for your answer; that is very helpful.

Your understanding of how debit cards work is correct – some can be processed as credit cards, but they have to be set up that way by your bank and be backed by one of the major credit card companies. They go through as credit cards on the merchant’s end, and then your bank just takes the money from your account when they get the charge rather than putting it on a credit line.

I’m glad to hear this won’t be a problem for my future GW purchasing; I wanted to make extra sure of that before expansion time. Thanks again for your response.

New account suspended

Duda.9845

Hello all, this time its not Cau its Duda and im just happy my friend Cau got his refund back. He also got a mail where Arena net-s admin replied that his Arena net Account is unblocked so he may buy new copy of GW2 and also that he may purchase it from his debit card, The same one that was declined last time. As we speak we have come to agree that since its almost holiday, its better to transfer money to my normal credit card and than to purchase it so we could Enjoy all the GW2 has to offer during this Winter. Thanks for all the hard work you do and for the replies. And sorry for my bad English grammar!

Regards,
Duda.9845