Perma-Banned for exploit [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: nchandler.3697

nchandler.3697

My account was preordered and never touched because my computer couldn’t run it. I finally get a new computer, find out my account’s been hacked, spend three days with customer service to retrieve it, try to log in to find that the account was suspended due to suspicious activity, spent another two days with customer service to get it unsuspended, and now this. I seriously haven’t even gotten to play yet. Yes, my account was hacked, so it’s possible that the gold spammer who hacked the account used an exploit. HOWEVER, I’ve consulted support about the hack, and I should NOT be held responsible for YOUR COMPANY’s security flaws.

I would greatly appreciate if you would review my ticket. I do not want to spend three more days waiting to use the product I payed for ages ago.

#130418-000521

Posted by: gdortchjr.8750

gdortchjr.8750

We closed a serious but not-widespread exploit, and banned those accounts that performed it and those that received or stored the wealth they generated.

While performing the bans, we made a mistake and additionally banned some unrelated accounts. We identified the mistake and unbanned those accounts.

For those still banned, if you wish to appeal, you may submit a support ticket and the team will examine your case.

I am still banned, I submitted a ticket but appeal to what exactly? All the interactions I have are between my guildies and me who I have been playing with for a while now. Please review and check all the logs of my account and you’ll see.

Been playing with these guys since launch. Pretty much all we do is run dungeons all day for 10+ hours a day. Don’t think that’s an exploit.

#130418-000590

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

My account was preordered and never touched because my computer couldn’t run it. I finally get a new computer, find out my account’s been hacked, spend three days with customer service to retrieve it, try to log in to find that the account was suspended due to suspicious activity, spent another two days with customer service to get it unsuspended, and now this. I seriously haven’t even gotten to play yet. Yes, my account was hacked, so it’s possible that the gold spammer who hacked the account used an exploit. HOWEVER, I’ve consulted support about the hack, and I should NOT be held responsible for YOUR COMPANY’s security flaws.

I would greatly appreciate if you would review my ticket. I do not want to spend three more days waiting to use the product I payed for ages ago.

#130418-000521

Wow, that’s a lot of stuff going on! You can be sure that the team will give your ticket careful attention. If someone misused your account, that will be clear in the game logs, so hold tight and this’ll get sorted soon. (And I hope your luck is considerably better in the future!)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: fragnstein.3486

fragnstein.3486

#130418-000521

If Anet had security flaws, dont you think there would be alot more that got hacked and not just you. Sounds like you went to a bad web site, thats your security flaws.

nchandler.3697

#130418-000521

Wow, that’s a lot of stuff going on! You can be sure that the team will give your ticket careful attention. If someone misused your account, that will be clear in the game logs, so hold tight and this’ll get sorted soon. (And I hope your luck is considerably better in the future!)

Thank you for the response.

Posted by: nikkistar.1409

nikkistar.1409

Thank you Gaile for responding and the support team for correcting the bans so promptly.

Hope everyone else gets things sorted out.

[Yak’s Bend] [BV] Blackwater ‘Buttwater’ Vanguard – Leader
Ele/Nanumee – Mez/Boba Bunny – Thief/Star Shadowfang

nchandler.3697

#130418-000521

If Anet had security flaws, dont you think there would be alot more that got hacked and not just you. Sounds like you went to a bad web site, thats your security flaws.

My security flaws? I don’t think so.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/thousands-guild-wars-2-accounts-hacked-985019

Try again.

gdortchjr.8750

I got my account back. Way to give me a few heart attacks Arena net.

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

We closed a serious but not-widespread exploit, and banned those accounts that performed it and those that received or stored the wealth they generated.

While performing the bans, we made a mistake and additionally banned some unrelated accounts. We identified the mistake and unbanned those accounts.

For those still banned, if you wish to appeal, you may submit a support ticket and the team will examine your case.

Thank you for the response Gaile. I am still kind of in limbo, I’m not sure if I’m still banned or not cause im getting a “Your Free Trial Account Is Currently Inactive” error… I have submitted an update to my ticket 130418-000056 including my serial code. I am just curious if anyone else is currently having this issue as well.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

i got my sweet account back, ty i guess.

R.I.P Kumu <3

nchandler.3697

#130418-000521

Thank you for the response.

My account’s been unbanned. Finally, I get a chance to play. Thanks Gaile.

Posted by: Nate Anabe.6091

Nate Anabe.6091

#130418-000521

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/thousands-guild-wars-2-accounts-hacked-985019

Try again.

That was posted 222 days ago when the game was new and people were using the same credentials that they used everywhere. same emailmand game account pswds

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
—Napoleon Bonaparte

nchandler.3697

#130418-000521

Try again.

That was posted 222 days ago when the game was new and people were using the same credentials that they used everywhere. same emailmand game account pswds

Well if you bothered to read before you spewed ignorance, I said I preordered the account, set it up, and never logged in. There’s no telling how long my account was in the hands of gold spammers.

nchandler.3697

#130418-000521

Try again.

Well if you bothered to read before you spewed ignorance, I said I preordered the account, set it up, and never logged in. There’s no telling how long my account was in the hands of gold spammers.

Sorry, didn’t notice you weren’t the one who accused me of being at fault of someone stealing from me. Sorry for the ignorance comment.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

What was the exploit?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Nate Anabe.6091

#130418-000521

Try again.

I read that i was just pointing out that that was an old post is all no needed to get nasty seems to be that your ignorance when setting up the account led it to be hacked

—Napoleon Bonaparte

nchandler.3697

#130418-000521

Try again.

I read that i was just pointing out that that was an old post is all no needed to get nasty seems to be that your ignorance when setting up the account led it to be hacked

Hey, I said sorry. :P

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

#130418-000521

Try again.

Correct. Thank you for pointing that out. Further, the issue dealt with today was related to exploitation, not security.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

nchandler.3697

#130418-000521

Try again.

Correct. Thank you for pointing that out. Further, the issue dealt with today was related to exploitation, not security.

I agree, Gaile. My point was simply that if I was banned for an exploit committed while my account was compromised I should not be held responsible. Sorry for the anger and whatnot. All that matters is that my account’s been restored. Thanks for your time Gaile.

Nate Anabe.6091

#130418-000521

Try again.

Accepted you most of posted while i was typing the last one

—Napoleon Bonaparte

nchandler.3697

#130418-000521

Try again.

Accepted you most of posted while i was typing the last one

No problem, I assumed as much. As stated before, I’ve spent the greater part of my week trying to get my account back, and I was quite angry. I shouldn’t have directed it at you, or fragnstein.3486 for that matter.

Posted by: Fromako.4681

Fromako.4681

#130418-000521

Try again.

Sorry, didn’t notice you weren’t the one who accused me of being at fault of someone stealing from me. Sorry for the ignorance comment.

That was nice of ANet to fix your account right after you falsely accused them of your account being breached. It’s not ANet’s fault that thousands of people used the exact same login credentials on other websites. The hackers got control of those accounts by simple trial and error from lists they got elsewhere.

nchandler.3697

#130418-000521

Try again.

That was nice of ANet to fix your account right after you falsely accused them of your account being breached. It’s not ANet’s fault that thousands of people used the exact same login credentials on other websites. The hackers got control of those accounts by simple trial and error from lists they got elsewhere.

I’m sorry? Maybe you missed the last few posts, but this topic is null.

Also, no, I was not false in accusing them of my account being breached. My account WAS breached. I’ve used the same logins for all my MMOs since 2002, and I’ve never had an account hacked. I don’t use my MMO logins anywhere else.

gdortchjr.8750

Yay I got my account back for something I didn’t do? Lost pretty much this evening of game play… My guild leader still doesn’t have his account back… Can we use our bot I mean judgement to un-ban him, please?

Posted by: Fromako.4681

Fromako.4681

#130418-000521

Try again.

I’m sorry? Maybe you missed the last few posts, but this topic is null.

Also, no, I was not false in accusing them of my account being breached. My account WAS breached. I’ve used the same logins for all my MMOs since 2002, and I’ve never had an account hacked. I don’t use my MMO logins anywhere else.

I didn’t say that your account wasn’t hacked. I was referring to you blaming them for it which you still haven’t recanted. Unless you want to accuse me of “missing” something again.

Posted by: Grayson.2375

Grayson.2375

I’ve used the same logins for all my MMOs since 2002, and I’ve never had an account hacked. I don’t use my MMO logins anywhere else.

That is the problem. Same user id n password for 10 years…

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

Submitted a ticket for 6 hours now, still no response or anything -.-;;

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

#130418-000521

Try again.

Try reading it..

""Hackers have lists of email addresses and passwords stolen from other games and websites, and collected through spyware, and are systematically testing ‘Guild Wars 2’ looking for matching accounts," ArenaNet staff wrote on this wiki page tracking the issue. "

Stolen from other games using phishing and spyware. Wow.. Don’t use the same passwords and logins for everything and this don’t happen. No ones brute forcing into Arenanet server and spy-snagging your uber account.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I must admit I’m rather curious as to what this exploit was. I’m sure details will turn up in a day or two after the loophole is securely plugged though.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Submitted a ticket for 6 hours now, still no response or anything -.-;;

6 hours isn’t too bad ^^ Give it at least 24 hours then write again. there are time zones, and off times etc. I’m sure they are busy.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

#130418-000521

Try again.

Try reading it..

""Hackers have lists of email addresses and passwords stolen from other games and websites, and collected through spyware, and are systematically testing ‘Guild Wars 2’ looking for matching accounts," ArenaNet staff wrote on this wiki page tracking the issue. "

Stolen from other games using phishing and spyware. Wow.. Don’t use the same passwords and logins for everything and this don’t happen. No ones brute forcing into Arenanet server and spy-snagging your uber account.

Not just using phishing and spyware, there also have been mmo’s in that period since 2002 that got their user database hacked where passwords were stored in clear text or not so well encrypted.

Posted by: nwn.7029

nwn.7029

This needs attention as there are many unjustified bans too.

EDIT: Ticket #130405-000195

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

So…….

Are some of you now starting to understand what I’ve been talking about? How does it feel as a player to be accused of something, and then banned without explanation? How does it feel to know that at any time you can lose access to everything you’ve worked, and paid for, without ever being told why?

When I started a thread asking for more transparency when it comes to exploits, I was met with resistance, before the thread was locked. When I contacted support, I was basically told that any intelligent player should realize an exploit.

I haven’t logged in yet, so lets hope I wasn’t also banned for some mystery exploit I wasn’t even aware I was doing.

Perhaps more incidents such as this will force players to start demanding some transparency by ANet.

In my support ticket I asked ANet what specifically I could do, to protect myself against getting banned, for using an exploit I was unaware even existed?

The answer is clear. You can’t. We are all apparently at the mercy of ANet and their ban-hammer. Personally, I have decided to not become financially invested in this game. If ANet is unwilling to provide its players with information in which they can use to protect themselves, then I can’t feel confident putting money into this game.

I’m happy that so many of you got your accounts back. I encourage you to contact support and let them know how being accused of an exploit, and then banned without explanation makes you feel.

I just hope one day I can play this game knowing there is some player protection measures in place.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

@nwn…It would be prudent to remove your personal information from your post.

i.e. your email address (that is half the information a hacker needs)

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Nice to see exploiters being banned. Hope to see botters banned someday, too. Plz, keep the game clean and keep banning the scum.

toafarmer.8401

#130418-000521

Try again.

Try reading it..

Well, that was what Anet said. We will never know for sure if this is all the truth or if Anet had some information leaked and just wont tell us (they forced me a password change and my password was used only on GW). They sware the fault is everyone else’s, but I have my doubts.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

First of all, i haven’t log in to my account to know if the ban-hammer has struck me or not, but what unsettles me is not knowing why. If the “Exploit” has been fixed, do you mind telling the common folks what has been abused? The simple feeling of not knowing why people have been banned is worrying me sick.

What i would like to see from ANet, is something like:
.1 – “Exploit”
.2 – Reason why this is an exploit, and what was affected by this.
.3 – Measures to deal with this exploit and penalties applied.

PS: I’m a very casual player so i’m rest assured that I’ve done nothing wrong.

/Cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Riaky.8965

So…….

Are some of you now starting to understand what I’ve been talking about? How does it feel as a player to be accused of something, and then banned without explanation? How does it feel to know that at any time you can lose access to everything you’ve worked, and paid for, without ever being told why?

When I started a thread asking for more transparency when it comes to exploits, I was met with resistance, before the thread was locked. When I contacted support, I was basically told that any intelligent player should realize an exploit.

I haven’t logged in yet, so lets hope I wasn’t also banned for some mystery exploit I wasn’t even aware I was doing.

Perhaps more incidents such as this will force players to start demanding some transparency by ANet.

In my support ticket I asked ANet what specifically I could do, to protect myself against getting banned, for using an exploit I was unaware even existed?

The answer is clear. You can’t. We are all apparently at the mercy of ANet and their ban-hammer. Personally, I have decided to not become financially invested in this game. If ANet is unwilling to provide its players with information in which they can use to protect themselves, then I can’t feel confident putting money into this game.

I’m happy that so many of you got your accounts back. I encourage you to contact support and let them know how being accused of an exploit, and then banned without explanation makes you feel.

I just hope one day I can play this game knowing there is some player protection measures in place.

I got 3 infractions just from posting about my banned today, none of the post were offensive in nature or in any shape or form condone anything against the TOS.

toafarmer.8401

What i would like to see from ANet, is something like:
.1 – “Exploit”
.2 – Reason why this is an exploit, and what was affected by this.
.3 – Measures to deal with this exploit and penalties applied.

PS: I’m a very casual player so i’m rest assured that I’ve done nothing wrong.

/Cheers

While I totally agree, I really doubt they will do it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am not saying it seems fair, but this may be why some get infractions:

Do not debate Customer Support decisions or actions. Threads or posts designed to announce, appeal, or contest your own or another player’s suspension or account termination—be it forum or game account—will be removed without notice.

Posted by: Angelyne.2936

Angelyne.2936

Can someone explain what exploit was that, what part of the game affected (don’t need to know how in detail).

Angelyne – Guild Leader for Metatrone – Vizunah Square [Fr] on EU Ladder

Riaky.8965

I’m still banned after 10 hours. Can somebody check my ticket and unban me please, thx.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Can someone explain what exploit was that, what part of the game affected (don’t need to know how in detail).

That’s exactly what I’ve been requesting from ANet. I don’t want to exploit! I want to continue playing this game for a long time. But I need some information to make informed choices.

I need to know what not to do, so I can avoid doing it. If I know that, I can feel confident in knowing that I would login to find myself banned for something I had no idea I was doing.

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

Bad feeling is something to do with fractals, I hear there are things they couldn’t patch out in those things.

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Posted by: xEternia.9564

xEternia.9564

Anyone has any idea what this “exploit” is?
To be banned without any information feels silly.
And is there any note about this supposed “exploit” and any prominent warning about using it?

Have sent a ticket, please expedite =>
Incident: 130418-000891

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Anyone has any idea what this “exploit” is?
To be banned without any information feels silly.
And is there any note about this supposed “exploit” and any prominent warning about using it?

Have sent a ticket, please expedite =>
Incident: 130418-000891

Wouldn’t that be great?! I would love to know how to avoid this.

xEternia.9564

Btw, is the support 24/7 or otherwise? Just curious..

Posted by: Omar.1807

Omar.1807

Account has been terminated [Incident: 130418-000343] I reported since 9 hrs now no respond and no E-mail from you to explain whats happening? Anet can you please help or explain whats going on my account why am unable to log on?

Posted by: Kranky.8231

Kranky.8231

My fellow guild member Slashy (Andre Teixeira.7581) still has his account blocked and somehow is not even allowed to use the forums now. What is going on A.Net ?

Please check the ticket he opened yesterday – Incident: 130418-000108.

Tarnished Coast

xEternia.9564

Anyone getting any updates on their accounts?