Please ArenaNet, Update Your Security!

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Beligerent.1324

Beligerent.1324

Somehow no matter what I change my password to, no matter how long it is, I eventually always get the emails notifying me that someone from either Canada or a random state in the US has been able to login into my account. I have never had a game account hacked so many times when I am being 100% safe and doing everything right. My password for example isn’t “password.” I try to make them difficult.

I really don’t understand the issue but I’ve changed my password once more (this time even longer and more random than usual in hopes that it’ll protect me). I’m hoping ArenaNet does something about this because I’m kind of sick of having to change my password so many times.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Scan your computer.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Aly.3429

Aly.3429

Sounds to me like you have a backdoor keylogger installed. I’d be looking for that and any other backdoors that have been installed.

Beligerent.1324

My computer is fine. I have malwarebytes and regularly update and scan it. The fact that this sort of thing has been going since the game launched and that I’ve played on three different computers over the course of playing GW2 tells me that it isn’t my computer.

lordkrall.7241

My computer is fine. I have malwarebytes and regularly update and scan it. The fact that this sort of thing has been going since the game launched and that I’ve played on three different computers over the course of playing GW2 tells me that it isn’t my computer.

If that is the case you most likely have a weak password, the same password everywhere or simply download weird stuff or visit weird pages.
IF they had breached ArenaNets servers there would be massive amounts of “hacks” which is clearly not the case.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Beligerent.1324

Sounds to me like you have a backdoor keylogger installed. I’d be looking for that and any other backdoors that have been installed.

Also if this were true I’d be having account problems with other games besides Guild Wars 2.

Beligerent.1324

If that is the case you most likely have a weak password, the same password everywhere or simply download weird stuff or visit weird pages.
IF they had breached ArenaNets servers there would be massive amounts of “hacks” which is clearly not the case.

Like I already stated (please read) I use strong passwords. I also don’t visit or download from “weird” pages. My computer is clean.

lordkrall.7241

Like I already stated (please read) I use strong passwords. I also don’t visit or download from “weird” pages. My computer is clean.

And yet you keep getting unauthorized connections even after changing password, so clearly something is wrong.
And IF it were an issue with ArenaNets security it would be a much bigger issue than just a few “hacks” here and there.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Beligerent.1324

And yet you keep getting unauthorized connections even after changing password, so clearly something is wrong.
And IF it were an issue with ArenaNets security it would be a much bigger issue than just a few “hacks” here and there.

The issue isn’t on my end. I use an anti-virus program. I don’t download anything unsafe and even if I think it’s safe make sure to scan it. My password isn’t obvious. The only other thing I can do is change my email, which I’m not quite sure if I can even do as it is linked to my GW account too.

Beligerent.1324

Also, please kindly stop trying to blame me as in all the years of playing games and MMORPGs I have NEVER been hacked or had problems accept for in Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Also, please kindly stop trying to blame me as in all the years of playing games and MMORPGs I have NEVER been hacked or had problems accept for in Guild Wars 2.

I usually always side with the user, but in your case I just can’t. If they are getting your password that many times, then somehow you are compromised. You changed your password for the game, have you changed your password on your email account as well?

Beligerent.1324

I usually always side with the user, but in your case I just can’t. If they are getting your password that many times, then somehow you are compromised. You changed your password for the game, have you changed your password on your email account as well?

Yes, I have. If anyone else would like to treat me like an idiot and ask me or tell me to do something that I’ve already done please go ahead and get it over with because that’s so totally why I wrote this thread.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can contact support and ask them for assistance in changing the email address associated with your GW(1) and GW2 accounts. This may be the problem, and they will be happy to assist you.

Beligerent.1324

You can contact support and ask them for assistance in changing the email address associated with your GW(1) and GW2 accounts. This may be the problem, and they will be happy to assist you.

Thanks, this is actually helpful as I wasn’t even sure if this was possible because it was associated with two different accounts.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You are welcome, and best of luck to you. =)

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

ANet’s security is fine. If they had a breach, or something of that nature, we all would know. The only possible explanation is a combination of weak security measures taken by you, the user. Try reading this for more insight into what you can do to protect yourself.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Yes, I have. If anyone else would like to treat me like an idiot and ask me or tell me to do something that I’ve already done please go ahead and get it over with because that’s so totally why I wrote this thread.

People are trying to suggest ways to help you. They don’t know what you may or may not have done to resolve this or your level of computer competence. Being rude to people who are trying to help will deter others who have suggestions you haven’t tried or thought of.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

People are trying to suggest ways to help you. They don’t know what you may or may not have done to resolve this or your level of computer competence. Being rude to people who are trying to help will deter others who have suggestions you haven’t tried or thought of.

Quoted for truth.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Somehow no matter what I change my password to, no matter how long it is, I eventually always get the emails notifying me that someone from either Canada or a random state in the US has been able to login into my account. I have never had a game account hacked so many times when I am being 100% safe and doing everything right. My password for example isn’t “password.” I try to make them difficult.

I really don’t understand the issue but I’ve changed my password once more (this time even longer and more random than usual in hopes that it’ll protect me). I’m hoping ArenaNet does something about this because I’m kind of sick of having to change my password so many times.

Security breach on your side, find the leak and plug it. I assure you, if Anet had a breach, we would be notified and there will be a lot more complaints on the forum.

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

Posted by: Carbine.4706

Carbine.4706

This sounds like its on your end, not Anet’s.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wait a minute. ArenaNet doesn’t send emails out of the blue telling you someone has compromised your account. You get emails when someone is trying to get in, but email authentication is preventing it. Are you sure people ‘have been able to login to your account’ over and over? Could it be a really far-roaming ISP? (Have you tried looking up the network addresses shown to see who they belong to?) Has support given you access to your account again, and again? Have you had things stolen, been moved to other servers, had your characters deleted? Have you been locked out of your account, even?

I am wondering if you have even been hacked, at all. Maybe you have just been protected by authentication many times.

Now, if support has sent you many, many emails in response to you contacting them about losing access to your account, then…yes…something is wonky with security.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)