False Positive for Botting

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Melvin.9568

Melvin.9568

My brother just got banned when he logged in to do his dailies today accusing him of botting. He doesn’t do it and doesn’t even know what it is or how it works. Anet has been just banning anyone that farms stuff apparently, it’s illegal to spend over an hour in southsun cove apparently. He had just figured out how to get there 2 days ago and used 2 magic find boosts (2 hrs) to farm karka shells and even partnered up with people there for 2 hours until magic find boost wore off and was chatting occasionally as well, how does that define being a botter?

Funny thing was while he was in southsun cove another player was complaining that 4 or his friends all of whom were ranger apparently got banned. My brother was trying to get 30 karka shells so he could craft an armor that required it and he gets flagged for botting. If they don’t want people to farm for stuff why not change recipes to only need like 1 karka shell or 5 instead of 30 which takes a while to get because it’s a rare drop. Whatever system Anet is using to detect botters is simply flawed and they are hurting their own loyal customers.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I really encourage your brother to contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will look into this. It’s possible he was linked with botters and got caught in the sweep, but I cannot say that with certainty. (And we do not intend for that to happen, naturally! Legitimate players should be and are intended to be free to play as they desire.)

For tips on what information to provide in a ticket, please ask him to read this post because including that info will speed up the ticket for him.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

If it’s any consolation, I had a similar problem (different zone) and support resolved it and restored my access the very next morning. Yes, it can be a little bit of a hassle, but from what I hear the chances of being falsely banned twice are minimal at best. The good news is, that if he is innocent then his account will be restored. I imagine it’s a pretty tough thing for support to tell if someone is a legit player or a botter, it’s definitely a challenging issue. As a general rule, I’m trying to limit ‘grinding’ to 1 hour or less per zone so that it doesn’t happen again.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

Posted by: Pailorin.8075

Pailorin.8075

I have TWO guild Members that have been banned botting. Arenanet you need to redefine your parameters for what is a bot. These guys have pumped good amounts of cash into the gem store too. ANET PLEASE REDEFINE THE PARAMETERS FOR BOTTING!
Please reinstate these users IMMEDIATELY!
Falindae.6075
Raziel.3081
Please STOP resorting to PERM Bans without contact. Seriously this isnt War Z.

Hell if your people need I’ll give you our mumble information and let you talk to them so you can see that they are not androids performing human tasks trying to over throw us. This is seriously messed up.

Posted by: Lethrface.2401

Lethrface.2401

I do have to agree. what exactly are the terms for which you use to determine botting? No offense to the two who were banned* but they aren’t exactly the tech type that I am and wouldn’t even know the first thing about botting. Falindae.6075 and Razeil.3081 are good friends of ours and I can guarantee you that they are far from botters. You guys need to re-evaluate your process for determining bots.

I also feel that you should provide the people who are falsely banned some form of gift as a “Oops…we done effed up” gift.

edited to remove “botted” as i meant “banned”

(edited by Lethrface.2401)

Lethrface.2401

I do have to agree. what exactly are the terms for which you use to determine botting? No offense to the two who were banned* but they aren’t exactly the tech type that I am and wouldn’t even know the first thing about botting. Falindae.6075 and Razeil.3081 are good friends of ours and I can guarantee you that they are far from botters. You guys need to re-evaluate your process for determining bots.

I also feel that you should provide the people who are falsely banned some form of gift as a “Oops…we done effed up” gift.

copy and pasted as this thread is about the folks in question

(edited by Lethrface.2401)

Posted by: Redwarr.1782

Redwarr.1782

My best friend was banned for botting also and I know for fact he dosn’t bot.
The olny thing he can think of was killing the same NPC over and over to get crafting materials. His name is Mattacka.4705. If he can’t get this resolved I guess we will just find another game. And he was banned about an hour ago.

(edited by Redwarr.1782)

Posted by: Illuminaut.8297

Illuminaut.8297

Honestly, though? I do feel a good deal of pathos toward Gaile. Having to deal with all this animosity as it comes in can’t be an easy task by anyone’s metering. Especially considering the mistake isn’t hers.

Posted by: void.6705

void.6705

I also was banned for being accused of botting…. I would like to see any records of me botting or anything like that yes I run the same zones a lot but I am always on my account… I havent receieved any emails or anything to let me know exactly why I was banned

Posted by: Michael.4791

Michael.4791

Don’t post on the forum – it will not help.
Write a ticket and ask for review – that will help.

Michael.4791

I also was banned for being accused of botting…. I would like to see any records of me botting or anything like that yes I run the same zones a lot but I am always on my account… I havent receieved any emails or anything to let me know exactly why I was banned

Write a support ticket and ask them there.

Melvin.9568

I really encourage your brother to contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will look into this. It’s possible he was linked with botters and got caught in the sweep, but I cannot say that with certainty. (And we do not intend for that to happen, naturally! Legitimate players should be and are intended to be free to play as they desire.)

For tips on what information to provide in a ticket, please ask him to read this post because including that info will speed up the ticket for him.

Thank you for the response, my brother initially tried posting the complaint but couldn’t log on to his account and was very saddened but your link provided took us to the proper support area. I hope this gets resolved and a possible explanation on what it was that he did that flagged him in the first place, it’s his first mmo and he now thinks that farming for materials is illegal and that is what’s defined as botting in Guild Wars 2.

void.6705

Oh I did trust me they heard from me

Posted by: Tugger.4102

Tugger.4102

Michael.4791 assumes people don’t make tickets before they post on the forum.

void.6705

I am curious to see how long this takes to resolve, been working hard on my legendary the last few weeks to.

Tugger.4102

I am curious to see how long this takes to resolve, been working hard on my legendary the last few weeks to.

Hope it all gets resolved for you soon. I have 49 hours left on my suspension which sucks because the weekend is the best time to play with friends and now I can’t.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I am sorry that this is happening, and I want, first, to point you to a post that I made earlier today, because while the form of messaging may not be clear, I believe that this situation does apply to some of you posting in this thread (or your friends or guildies). Here’s the post.

I don’t mean to appear to be making excuses for our errors. We have made them, and we do make them, and I agree with you that we need to reduce the number of false positives. That is something I will spend my tomorrow looking into, you have my word on it.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Many people do not understand the process and believe that posting here, or listing their guild members’ or friends’ names here, will get a review started. That is not the case, so reminding folks to contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page is in fact a very helpful thing to do. That should actually be the first step in getting an issue resolved, although it’s fine to post here after the ticket is submitted (and especially if the issue has extended 3 days or longer). Whether posting in the main forum or in the Tickets for Review thread, please always provide me with the 12-digit ticket number as a starting point in researching the issue.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Illuminaut.8297

Thank you Gaile, on behalf of my wife, for your response.

While it is very frustrating for her and has made her very sad, she did the right thing and and submitted a support ticket right away. We, as loyal players, have no ill will against ArenaNet— we simply want this issue resolved in a timely fashion, as she is innocent, and we’ve never had problems before.

Thank you very much for your circumspect response, and we hope to get her, and our guildmate, back into game soon.

Tugger.4102

Many people do not understand the process and believe that posting here, or listing their guild members’ or friends’ names here, will get a review started. That is not the case, so reminding folks to contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page is in fact a very helpful thing to do. That should actually be the first step in getting an issue resolved, although it’s fine to post here after the ticket is submitted (and especially if the issue has extended 3 days or longer). Whether posting in the main forum or in the Tickets for Review thread, please always provide me with the 12-digit ticket number as a starting point in researching the issue.

Thanks.

My reference number is 130207-000459. Would love to discuss this in private

Lethrface.2401

I am sorry that this is happening, and I want, first, to point you to a post that I made earlier today, because while the form of messaging may not be clear, I believe that this situation does apply to some of you posting in this thread (or your friends or guildies). Here’s the post.

I don’t mean to appear to be making excuses for our errors. We have made them, and we do make them, and I agree with you that we need to reduce the number of false positives. That is something I will spend my tomorrow looking into, you have my word on it.

Thank you very much. Us guildies are like a family and look forward to this issue getting resolved and hope that future occurrences like this are few and far between going forward as being this is a new-ish game, processes will be revised and evolve with time.

Melvin.9568

Thanks.

He just got this sent to his e-mail and it looks like an automated message that other users have received after looking around in the forums.

( Response Via Email (Julio O.) 02/07/2013 09:04 PM
Hello,

This account has been closed for using an illegal third-party program. I want you to know that we take great care when analyzing accounts prior to termination. We are both diligent and conservative in determining which accounts are using these programs, and we only terminate an account after we are certain that such use has occurred.

For additional information, please visit the following links for the Rules of Conduct, the User Agreement, and the Conduct Breaches & Outcomes:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-conduct-breaches-outcomes/

Regards,
NCsoft Account Admin Team)

Is that it? Is he banned? Where can we dispute this, he didn’t provide any specifics and has just vaguely generalized response with no clear next step. Do I reply to the e-mail or is there no point as it’s computer generated response? Please help
[Incident: 130208-000068]

Posted by: ElectricNinja.9230

ElectricNinja.9230

this is what happened to Dreamslayer.7659
banned suddenly and the ticket reply was the same thing exactly
even playing in the same place and fighting the kraka for bloods
what is going on at anet?

(edited by ElectricNinja.9230)

void.6705

Incident :130208-000357

Karka farming is the reason we had a large group with us we normally farm 5-10 people from our clan and also pick up people along the way..

I have reached out to Anet to see if they could fix their mistake for banning my account.. I am hoping they do the right thing and look into my account they will see I am not a bot. I have no issue providing anything to prove this, from my computer to my roomate who plays the game as well. Only time will tell just would suck to lose all the time I have spent playing a game I enjoy playing…

(edited by void.6705)

Illuminaut.8297

My wife returned home this evening from work to find out her account had been permenantly banned for ‘botting, extended unnatended play, using macros or similar behavior’ and other such activities that she’s definitely not guilty of.

While I’m aware that this is likely an error on behalf of bot-detection algorithms, it’s entirely a disturbing thing to come home to, especially when she and I have been nothing but upstanding members of the GW2 community.. She’s already submitted a support ticket, but I feel it neccesary to speak on her behalf as she’s not able to edit or update her ticket because her account has been permenantly banned.

Her account name is that of Falindae.6075. If further details are required, I’d be happy to submit them in a PM, but I feel like a serious mistake has been made and I speak for the both of us when I say that I would like to see it ammended.

(edited by Illuminaut.8297)

void.6705

SO here is the timeline that I know of for sure.

Yesterday morning I log in check WvW for a few poi’s I need this is around 8am est no issue. I get home from work around 9 pm est, by the time I get situated at home its a little after 10 pm. When I go to log in I get a message that my account has been banned. It seems to be a standard response when this happens to someone.

I have a pretty normal routine, I play m-f somewhere between 9pm-1am depends on my work day, saturday I will play a little longer normally after 7pm and sundays is pretty varied as far as times go mostly evenings. I will also play on Wed. when I am off from work.

So I start to think back of what have I done or been accused of well I have no illegal software on my computer. The only ingame program besides Guild Wars I run is Vent or TS. So I continue to back track my last few days, I know I always complete my daily stuff for the laurels. I try and get either a FoTM 10 or 20, I keep an eye on dragon timers so I do they whenever I can. I tried the cursed shore farming for gold/eq but that is way to crowded and I have a hard time landing enough hits to always get some loot. So it has to be from karka farming, I have run there a lot in the past few weeks for two reasons I need powerful bloods for Incinerator and the shells sell for good money. Now we normally do this with a group of people from our guild one night we had two whole groups of 5 running that area. Sometimes when we have under 5 people we will pick up people in the zone to round out our group. My game play has increased over the last few weeks because I enjoy playing this game so I play it alot and getting the material and gold you need for a legendary requires you to grind a lot of gold/material to create it. I have several people who I play with everyday online that I also speak with on vent/ts that can also let you know I am not a bot.

Now I don’t know If I will get my account back or why I was targeted for this? Did I kitten someone off farming karka because we had a big group and they feel left out or did someone kill a mob and they got no loot. I have no idea all I do know is that I am not a bot all of my logged hours on this game have been me sitting at my computer doing the work.

I have been on this game going back to GW1 and all the expansions, played this during beta weekends. I have referred a few people to play this game, I have never used a bot to do my work for me. Would it have made it easier sure but I want to know that when I make my legendary I know I did it legit. I have no problem giving Anet anything they want access to with my account or computer to see I have not used a bot.

Please Help

A concerned fan and player

Michael.4791

Don’t assume to much. Your account could have been hacked and used for botting too. You will never know what caused it. So best thing to do, is writing a ticket and ask about it. Usually you will get an answer. If the answer is not sufficient, go on and ask for a review. Errors in judgement do happen sometimes and a review might change the results.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I’m sorry for the distress, but the fastest way to get to the bottom of this is for you to contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you. For tips on what information to provide in a ticket, please read this post.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

same thing happened to me, void. send in a support ticket and have the support team review your account history. turnaround is quick if you’re able to get their questions answered as soon as you receive them via email or through your support account.

best of luck!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

same thing happened to me, void. send in a support ticket and have the support team review your account history. turnaround is quick if you’re able to get their questions answered as soon as you receive them via email or through your support account.

best of luck!

Thanks for your comments, kiba. Please note, void, that the more information contained in the first ticket — or added by updating it — the faster the team can help you. That’s why I link to the How to Submit a Ticket post.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Yamimbe.2836

Yamimbe.2836

if it means anything to the gods of account management, I can personally vouch for the fact that void.6705 is indeed a real, slightly demented person.

Posted by: nydaar.5680

nydaar.5680

Void is my roomant and we play almost every day, he doesn’t bot or macro anything.

Posted by: Naotalba.7360

Naotalba.7360

I’ve played and talked to void many times. He was always there replying and died a few times and said Thank you! when revived.

Posted by: Kuro Kami.8436

Kuro Kami.8436

I’m pretty sure we were playing Fractal Of The Mine level 26 the night before. We did a few more dungeons after. I can’t see or sense any time allowable for him to bot areas of Tyria. His friend list was titled in grey, not green. Review incident number 130208-000357 please.

Michael.4791

I’m pretty sure we were playing Fractal Of The Mine level 26 the night before. We did a few more dungeons after. I can’t see or sense any time allowable for him to bot areas of Tyria. His friend list was titled in grey, not green. Review incident number 130208-000357 please.

Post ticket number with some info here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Tickets-for-Review-3-days-and-older-merged/page/70#post1413271

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Thanks.

My reference number is 130207-000459. Would love to discuss this in private

This thread is about false-positives for botting. You were blocked for using an offensive character and display name, therefore this post is off-topic.

You have chosen to use several offensive names, both in your character names and your display name. You will be able to change your character name when your suspension expires. You will not be given the option to change your display name, which was changed to something close to your chosen name, but removing the offensive connotations.

I will not discuss this with you privately, and ask that you stop sending me PMs about this situation. You have been in breach of the User Agreement multiple times and simply need to serve your time and behave properly in the future.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

It’s like doing tech support. There is a reason they always ask things starting back to step 1.

Posted by: Lurock Turoth.9085

Lurock Turoth.9085

Hello, my friend is still falsely banned and cannot use his account to post on here. He asked me to post his case number.

At the time he was banned he was in WvW with guild members….in no way was he boting.

Icewielder.4195
130209-000209

Angst Hex, [FLOT] BG Havoc/Roaming
http://www.twitch.tv/disasterdrew

Posted by: Icewielder.4195

Icewielder.4195

Thanks for the quick response! Its all sorted out now. Thanks again Gaile!
(and my homework is done for the next two weeks)

Worst Necro NA [XARA]

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Lurock, I do not believe your friend was caught up in the same error. As I said, it affected only about a dozen people, from what I have been able to ascertain.

Your friend’s ticket will be reviewed and dealt with as quickly as possible, though!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Merging three threads so that folks can find their posts without searching a bunch of pages.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I’m very sorry about this issue. We identified a database error that resulted in a false-positive related to about a dozen game accounts. All have been reinstated, but if you find you have continued issues with this problem, and if it’s been more than three days since you submitted your ticket, please post an update in this thread. I will be watching for new posts so that we can address this right away.

Again, our apologies for this issue!!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Hello, my friend is still falsely banned and cannot use his account to post on here. He asked me to post his case number.

At the time he was banned he was in WvW with guild members….in no way was he boting.

Icewielder.4195
130209-000209

He’s also back in the game as of today.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet