When Minimum Requirements Are Not...

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive my frustration, but I am having a bit of an issue.

I have two computers. One, runs Guild Wars 2 without issue, the other has been suffering constant graphical issues and crashes since upgrading the OS in January.

On the Guild Wars 2 official website, there are a list of minimum requirements that this game needs to run. Both of my computers exceed these minimum requirements (not by much mind you, but they still do).

After contacting ArenaNet support, and providing all the information requested of me, I am now being told that the crashing on the one PC is due to the fact that I am running a 32-bit version of Windows 8.

Despite me explaining that I have two machines of similar build, and that one of those machines runs the game without issue, support insists this is due to the version of Windows 8 I am running, and request that I upgrade to the 64-bit version.

The problem here is that Microsoft does not allow users to simply upgrade. The only option I have is to re-purchase and reinstall a retail DVD of Windows 8.

This has me furious. When I purchased the game and upgraded the OS, I did so based on the official minimum requirements. What I am now being told is that those minimum requirements are in fact incorrect, and that I must spend $200+ to make the game run correctly.

What do you think are my options in this case?

I personally feel that ANet should do the following:

1. Provide me with a 64-bit version of Windows 8 OR
refund all the money I’ve spent on this game.

2. Update the official minimum requirements to reflect the new information I’ve been given.

To me, this is false advertising. If my purchases were based on the recommendation and guidelines set by ANet, and then later told that this is in fact not correct, why should I be responsible for spending more money to correct this problem?

Secondly, what if this doesn’t solve the issue? As I’ve stated before, one of my PC’s runs GW2 just fine with a 32-bit version of Windows 8, so what if I spend $200+ to “upgrade” only to find out the problem persists? What will I be told next, my GPU needs replacing, I need to add 8GB ram, I need to buy a new PC?

I am curious to hear your thoughts on this. My support ticket is currently awaiting a reply from ANet, but I’m not hopeful. I’m just wondering what you would do.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

They have mentioned many times that GW2 does not take kindly to the 32-bit version, going all the way back to launch. Maybe you can change whatever is different between the computer that does work with 32-bit, and the one that doesn’t. Is one of the computers a laptop? If not, maybe just play on the one that works. Sorry to not have other ideas. Maybe posting in the Tech Support forum would be helpful. =)

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

They have mentioned many times that GW2 does not take kindly to the 32-bit version, going all the way back to launch. Maybe you can change whatever is different between the computer that does work with 32-bit, and the one that doesn’t. Is one of the computers a laptop? If not, maybe just play on the one that works. Sorry to not have other ideas. Maybe posting in the Tech Support forum would be helpful. =)

If that is indeed the case, then it should be mentioned on the official minimum requirements page.

One of the PC’s is indeed a laptop. The problem is that the other PC is used by my girlfriend (is hers) to play GW2, and we play together.

If any of the components in my PC were under the minimum requirements, then I would of course consider upgrading them. What I’m not happy about is having to double purchase Window 8, just to run the game without crashing, when the official requirements don’t state that.

Adding more RAM won’t help, switching the GPU won’t help. If it is indeed an issue with 32-bit version of Windows 8, my only option is to spend $200+ to repurchase the software.

To me, that is unacceptable.

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

There’s a prominent note on the minimum requirements page that says:

“Note: Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game.”

Most of us, if we’ve been gamers for years, have had to upgrade our systems to keep up with game updates. Seems like we had to do that for DAoC even when they changed the character models.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am sorry you are having difficulties. I am not sure why you decided to upgrade your OS before perusing the Tech Support forum or contacting Technical Support. Perhaps, if you had done so, there would have been a more satisfactory outcome. Maybe you could contact Microsoft and find out if you could exchange your new 32-bit system for a 64-bit system for a nominal fee. Just another suggestion. =)

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I am sorry you are having difficulties. I am not sure why you decided to upgrade your OS before perusing the Tech Support forum or contacting Technical Support. Perhaps, if you had done so, there would have been a more satisfactory outcome. Maybe you could contact Microsoft and find out if you could exchange your new 32-bit system for a 64-bit system for a nominal fee. Just another suggestion. =)

The reason is because I do more with my PC than just play Guild Wars 2. I have many other games and software that I must consider when upgrading to an new OS.

When I read the minimum system requirements for a game, I assume that it has been tested, and will run. The quality at which it runs obviously depends on many factors, but if my PC meets the minimum requirements, then I shouldn’t have to spend time scouring the forums to make sure every possible combination is covered.

Microsoft doesn’t allow switching if purchased online. I have looked into it and the only solution they offer is to re-purchase the DVD. I’m not about to do that because the implications (and time) are not worth it for one troublesome game.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

“Note: Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game.”

Most of us, if we’ve been gamers for years, have had to upgrade our systems to keep up with game updates. Seems like we had to do that for DAoC even when they changed the character models.

As someone who has been gaming since the days when computers came in one color (green), I understand that upgrading is a necessary requirement.

Had the minimum requirements stated that 32-bit OS’s aren’t compatible with GPU’s over 256MB, I would have considered my options for a 64-bit version.

However, because this wasn’t stated anywhere, I assumed it wouldn’t be an issue (I mean how many people run 32-bit versions of Windows? Thousands…millions?)

I received an email back from support and this is what they’ve said.

“First, the minimum requirements for the game are correct. The operating system issue you are experiencing is independent of the game or it’s requirements. It’s a Windows issue which we have no direct control over. So while Windows 32-bit is supported, if you have enough RAM and a powerful enough video card you will experience these issues regardless of what we do with the game code. Again, it’s a “flaw” in the Operating System not the game code which is why Microsoft has documented it in those previously provided links"

So, ArenaNet is washing their hands of all responsibility here basically. Which of course leaves me holding the bill.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hmm…if Microsoft has admitted it is a flaw in their 32-bit OS and that it is not compatible with the more powerful GPUs, then maybe you should take it up with Microsoft. I just don’t see how you can hold ArenaNet responsible for something they have no control over. Maybe there is documentation for your GPU and 32-bit systems. I don’t know, I usually check what’s compatible and what’s not when I upgrade my system. At least I have for years, ever since having a computer built around an expensive GPU, and then finding out that the motherboard wasn’t compatible, even though they were both from the same manufacturer. Lol. I am truly sorry it didn’t work out for you, as I know how frustrating it can be.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Honestly, if it’s a problem with Windows, and Anet has no control over it, there’s no sense in getting mad at Anet. It’s not their responsibility to fix Microsoft’s problems.

And by the way, you talking about Anet having to buy you a new OS or refund your money, here’s a little copy/pasta portion of the User Agreement:

4. ACCOUNT AND PAYMENTS TO NCSOFT

“YOU ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT NCSOFT HAS NO OBLIGATION TO REFUND ANY PAYMENTS, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, RELATED TO AN ACCOUNT WHETHER OR NOT SUCH PAYMENTS WERE MADE OR AUTHORIZED BY YOU, FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO INTERRUPTION OR UNAVAILABILITY OF SERVICE (SEE ALSO SECTION 10). YOU ACKNOWLEDGE, AND FURTHER AGREE, THAT NCSOFT MAY, IN ITS SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION, TERMINATE UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF SECTION 3© ANY ACCOUNT RELATED TO ANY ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN A REFUND OF ANY PAYMENTS, WHETHER SUCH ATTEMPTS ARE MADE BY CONTACTING AN ISSUER OF CREDIT CARDS OR OTHERWISE, AND THAT NCSOFT MAY TAKE ANY OTHER ACTION IT DEEMS APPROPRIATE UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO RECOURSE BY WAY OF ANY COLLECTION AGENCY AND/OR CREDIT REPORTING AGENCY WHEN A REFUND HAS BEEN OBTAINED WITHOUT SIGNED WRITTEN CONSENT FROM A LEGALLY AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF NCSOFT. "

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: The Warder.6352

The Warder.6352

As someone who has been gaming since the days when computers came in one color (green), I understand that upgrading is a necessary requirement.

Had the minimum requirements stated that 32-bit OS’s aren’t compatible with GPU’s over 256MB, I would have considered my options for a 64-bit version.

However, because this wasn’t stated anywhere, I assumed it wouldn’t be an issue (I mean how many people run 32-bit versions of Windows? Thousands…millions?)

“First, the minimum requirements for the game are correct. The operating system issue you are experiencing is independent of the game or it’s requirements. It’s a Windows issue which we have no direct control over. So while Windows 32-bit is supported, if you have enough RAM and a powerful enough video card you will experience these issues regardless of what we do with the game code. Again, it’s a “flaw” in the Operating System not the game code which is why Microsoft has documented it in those previously provided links"

So, ArenaNet is washing their hands of all responsibility here basically. Which of course leaves me holding the bill.

Do not hold Anet responsible for your ignorance regarding memory limitations of 32 bit clients and graphics card device memory. The flaw isn’t actually a flaw. It’s just a fact that 32 bit hardware and operating systems can only address a certain amount of memory. Since 4GB is the licensed (addressable memory) limit for 32-bit client SKUs, which includes all device memory (including that 256 MB video card memory), the larger the video card memory installed on a 32 bit OS, the less system memory will be available because the OS will reserve huge holes of memory mapped space for all devices in the system. Guild Wars 2 would choke on too little system memory available which could happen on a 32 bit OS. Lesson learned . . . don’t build gaming systems with 32 bit clients.

Please also be aware that Windows 8 product keys work with either 32 bit or 64 bit versions. Your product key (Windows 8 32 bit license) you say you purchased will work with a 64 bit Windows 8 installation. You can download a Windows 8 installation directly from Microsoft. Just make sure you download the installation setup file while using a 64 bit OS to receive the 64 bit installation. Use this Upgrade to Windows 8 with only a product key to man up and game on. Cheers, mate!

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

The minimum requirements are not a garantee that the game will run smoothly. The problem is indeed the 32 bits windows version in combination with the VGA driver. You prolly have an nvidia gforce GT card.

As far as I know the problem doesnt exist with an geforce GTX card or another brand of chipset. The GT line is the budget line of chipsets compared with the GTX-line

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Do not hold Anet responsible for your ignorance regarding memory limitations of 32 bit clients and graphics card device memory. The flaw isn’t actually a flaw. It’s just a fact that 32 bit hardware and operating systems can only address a certain amount of memory. Since 4GB is the licensed (addressable memory) limit for 32-bit client SKUs, which includes all device memory (including that 256 MB video card memory), the larger the video card memory installed on a 32 bit OS, the less system memory will be available because the OS will reserve huge holes of memory mapped space for all devices in the system. Guild Wars 2 would choke on too little system memory available which could happen on a 32 bit OS. Lesson learned . . . don’t build gaming systems with 32 bit clients.

Please also be aware that Windows 8 product keys work with either 32 bit or 64 bit versions. Your product key (Windows 8 32 bit license) you say you purchased will work with a 64 bit Windows 8 installation. You can download a Windows 8 installation directly from Microsoft. Just make sure you download the installation setup file while using a 64 bit OS to receive the 64 bit installation. Use this Upgrade to Windows 8 with only a product key to man up and game on. Cheers, mate!

Thanks, for treating me like a moron. While I appreciate your detailed explaination, you seem to be skipping over some key facts here.

1. Even with my GPU taking up memory, I still exceed the minimum recommended RAM.

2. I’m well aware that I can use my license for both versions. The problem is that you can’t download the 64-bit version on a 32-bit OS. I don’t know where you think I’ll magically be able to get a 64-bit version to download a 64-bit version.

See the catch 22 here?

3. I understand all this. The problem is that ANet has not been clear about this. I have comfortably played many other games with this setup, yet GW2 is the only one with issues. I don’t care if my PC doesn’t meet the minimum requirements and I must upgrade, but according to ANet, it does.

This isn’t about, “manning up” as you put it. It’s about being frustrated at ANet’s lack of information, which may end up wasting me a lot of money.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

The minimum requirements are not a garantee that the game will run smoothly. The problem is indeed the 32 bits windows version in combination with the VGA driver. You prolly have an nvidia gforce GT card.

As far as I know the problem doesnt exist with an geforce GTX card or another brand of chipset. The GT line is the budget line of chipsets compared with the GTX-line

Of course they’re not a guarantee. But if ANet knows this configuration is an issue, and causes crashes, why is it not listed along with the system requirements? It seems unlikely that running a 32-bit OS, with 4GB, and a GPU with more than 256MB is a rare scenario.

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

2. I’m well aware that I can use my license for both versions. The problem is that you can’t download the 64-bit version on a 32-bit OS. I don’t know where you think I’ll magically be able to get a 64-bit version to download a 64-bit version.

Not trying to mix into the discussion here but do you have access to a pc that already has a 64 bit OS? If so you can use that to create a boot-able disk so you can install it on the 32 bit pc.

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

I too am confused as to why there was an expectation of Arenanet to purchase anything.

It is not on them to make a huge list of every possible configuration that may fail. How could they be expected to specifically list ‘This causes problems’ and not list other ones that do so, either? Besides the fact something that causes problems for one person, doesn’t for another, with similar hardware due to various reasons.

It is a 32-bit limitation that has been known since, well, before general public even thought about using 64-bit operating systems. And it was a limitation brought forward in the hardware due in part to desire for backwards compatibility. Besides, why should they cover every contingency, when the information is already out there with a little planning. I have rarely seen games or applications address specific situations like that. Usually forums have the info and that is the only means it is found. Yes it sucks, but the amount of work required to put together a list of all possible problems would likely require you to purchase a compilation, which would not be financially viable to make.

I understand your frustration and so does most anyone with any experience with computer hardware or software. I myself have gotten in a little trouble by not taking into account certain configurations that lead to problems. I blamed no one but myself, or chalked it up to a learning exercise at a very painful cost.

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

As for gw2 being the only one with the issue that you have experienced, how many of them use as much memory, processor, and are as large as this is? Yes 2 gb is listed as the minimum, but that has never meant that every system that meets the minimum will be effectively playable since every system is different. Don’t forget at low ram the swap file becomes a large bottleneck. PC’s are not like consoles with same hardware etc. Various things can cause problems in something that otherwise should not, and it is not Arena’s fault. It’s the result of various manufactures all making different hardware that communicates to one another via industry agreed upon standards that is up to each manufacturer to implement.

You also state even taking into account the memory mapped from the Graphics, that you exceed the minimum. I’m guessing you have 4 gb of actual ram? That is also a known related issue with 32-bit Windows, all connected with that evil 4 gig limitation. I remember around XP’s time that 3 gb of physical ram would be fine, but 4 causes things to choke… So if you have more than 1 stick of ram, removing one may make it run smoothly. May seem odd, but has a really valid cause. (As you probably know by now, 32-bit can really only touch, what was it, I think ~3.25 gb of physical memory, but I have heard of some systems having issues even with 3 gb of RAM (I recall most commonly it being compaq’s and maybe dells, but I’m sure other scenarios as well). All due to how the hardware is mapped onto memory. If you have additional expansion cards, like PCI cards, etc, it might help to remove them if they are not truly needed. Not saying it would help, just that it might. I do not know if Win8 behaves differently on 32-bit,or if it organizes anything differently or has more memory hogging tendencies.)

Now, as stated, there are ways you can acquire the 64 bit version to install that don’t have that limit of acquiring only via a 64 bit system, or even better, do you know anyone with the 64 bit disc?

Posted by: The Warder.6352

The Warder.6352

Thanks, for treating me like a moron. While I appreciate your detailed explaination, you seem to be skipping over some key facts here.

1. Even with my GPU taking up memory, I still exceed the minimum recommended RAM.

See the catch 22 here?

3. I understand all this. The problem is that ANet has not been clear about this. I have comfortably played many other games with this setup, yet GW2 is the only one with issues. I don’t care if my PC doesn’t meet the minimum requirements and I must upgrade, but according to ANet, it does.

This isn’t about, “manning up” as you put it. It’s about being frustrated at ANet’s lack of information, which may end up wasting me a lot of money.

Grab my hand
Now make an Outlook account; or, if you already have one, use it for the next step.
Go and download Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation 64-bit using the Outlook account.
Create a bootable Windows 8 DVD or USB install media from the prior download.
Install Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation (x64). Don’t activate this evaluation copy of Windows 8 with your product key. Use your product key in a later step.
Boot up Windows 8 Enterprise Eval (x64) and browse to Upgrade to Windows 8 with only a product key; or, as an alternative download the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and run it in the Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation to use it to upgrade to Windows 8 (x64).
If you choose to Upgrade to Windows 8 with only a product key method, you will be able to download the Windows 8 64-bit setup install file since you are running a copy of Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation (x64) using the prior install.
Using either method above, create a Windows 8 (x64) bootable DVD or USB installation media.
Boot from the newly created Windows 8 (x64) media and install Windows 8 (x64) and activate it with your previously purchased product key.
Now let go of my hand! =) happy gaming

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

And this is why I think Windows is the worst thing ever invented, yet everyone still worships them.

It’s a Windows issue. Anet cannot and should not be expected to fix it. You really can’t expect them to give you a free 64 bit OS due to a Windows issue as 1) They didn’t create it and 2) You would benefit from a 64 bit OS on other things besides just the game. Or are you saying when you no longer want to play GW2 you will uninstall the 4 bit OS and send the cd key back to Anet so they could have it. Doubt you would.

In short, upgrade or deal with the crashes.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Ok Folks,

Before I explain the outcome of this situation, I want to state a few key points just so I know you understand why I’m frustrated.

1. I fully understood the 32-bit limitation when upgrading to Windows 8.

2. I purchased the 32-bit upgrade based on the following reasons.

A) I have other software that is 32-bit
B) I have had no issues playing other games in a 32-bit environment
C) ArenaNets minimum requirements state 2GB is needed

3. I fully understand that playing games in a 32-bit environment may result in a slight performance loss.

4. I am well aware of all the different ways to obtain a 64-bit version of Win 8. However, there are things to consider beyond this.

A) time involved to obtain the alternate version
B) cost involved to purchase this version
C) time required to backup, reinstall OS/programs/settings
D) other software that was purchased for a 32-bit environment

Now, those are some facts about the general situation. Here are my key issues with this.

1. If ANet knew this configuration resulted in not just a loss of performance, but constant and predictable crashing, this should have been explicitly stated on the minimum requirements page.

( To me, if having a 32-bit OS with 4GB and a GPU over 256MB causes crashes, then the minimum requirements are not what they state. The minimum to run the game for people with this configuration is a 64-bit OS.)

2) Had ANet been transparent with this known issue, I would not be in this position now.

So, in the end I made a choice. What was the most reliable and hassle free way of solving this? I went out and purchased the 64-bit version.

Lets be very clear here.

Because ANet was not transparent regarding this issue, and because I followed thier minimum requirements advice, I made the choice to upgrade to a 32-bit version. Because this information provided by ANet was incorrect/misleading, I have now spent more money than I should have had to.

So, what does that mean?

- I am now running a 64-bit version of Windows 8.
- I have now had to purchase the OS twice for this game.
- The money spent on the OS came out of my gaming budget, so that is $130 less I will spend on Guild Wars 2.

So, based on this situation, here is my conclusion.

I have now payed (including gem purchases) upwards of $400 to play GW2. Based on the fact that account terminations can happen without warning, minimum requirements and known issues are not advertised, and RNG, I will no, will longer be sending any money on this game.

So that’s that. Problem solved.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Happy to hear you have resolved your problem. Much luck with your further adventures in Tyria. =)

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Personally I’m confused why someone would rush to Windows 8 after seeing what Windows… well, EVERY windows before it has done, aside from 7 I don’t mind. Secondly, who buys Windows 8 with only 32b? I can’t remember if Windows 8 is like the previous versions where 32b can only handle 3gb of ram, but either way just seems silly to get a newer version with an older less efficient core. My wifes computer probably is below the min requirements and still plays the game fine in 32b, but that is Win 7.
Her specs:
Intel core 2
6400 @ 2.13ghz 2.13ghz
3.0 gb ram
32bit win 7
Nvidia Geforce 9500GT

Basically all I get from this post is:
I bought Windows 8 with 32b knowing I was doing something silly.
GW2 didn’t work well.
I bought 64bit to spite Arenanet for not catering to my bad choice.
I quit.

Not sure you really got what you intended, Arenanet got your money, Microsoft got (more) money, and the community no longer has to deal with someone who whines. All in all I would say we are the ones who came out on top. But who knows, maybe I read all that wrong.

Also not sure what having 32bit programs has to do with owning 64bit? You do know that you still can run 32bit programs on 64b yes?

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Personally I’m confused why someone would rush to Windows 8 after seeing what Windows… well, EVERY windows before it has done, aside from 7 I don’t mind.

Perhaps you’re confused because are not able to understand that others have different needs and tastes than you?

Secondly, who buys Windows 8 with only 32b? I can’t remember if Windows 8 is like the previous versions where 32b can only handle 3gb of ram, but either way just seems silly to get a newer version with an older less efficient core.

Perhaps you need to consider that there are those out there that have other needs, or limitations than you? I’m not sure what to tell you. If you think buying a 32-bit version of an OS is somehow too crazy to comprehend, then I’m not sure what I can say to you.

GW2 didn’t work well.
I quit.

Or…

I purchased Win 8 32-bit based on the limitations of my system, software requirements, and the limited way MS upgrades systems (Online purchases only upgrade 32-bit versions to 32-bit versions, simple as that), and because all other games that list minimum requirements have ran just fine in a 32-bit environment.

GW was not open with the true system requirements, and when I experienced issues, I was told the only solution was to purchase a 64-bit version.

I bought a 64-bit version to continue playing the game. I put money that would have otherwise gone into the game, into the OS to play the game. This is, in the end ANet’s loss for not being transparent.

I didn’t quit…I was grumbling through Crab Toss today.

Not sure you really got what you intended, Arenanet got your money, Microsoft got (more) money, and the community no longer has to deal with someone who whines. All in all I would say we are the ones who came out on top. But who knows, maybe I read all that wrong.

I think it’s more likely that you are too ignorant and short sighted to even try to understand someone else’s situation. You’ve convinced yourself that this whole situation is due to your belief that I’m simply too stupid to understand how computers work.

You’ve convinced yourself that despite ANet providing minimum requirements for a game, I should have ignored that and done something different. You’ve convinced yourself that you understand all the additional requirements I have for running a PC beyond this one game.

In the end, you’re right. These companies have my money, however as I say, it’s ANets loss really. They will now get $130 less from me. This isn’t whining….this is reality.

Also not sure what having 32bit programs has to do with owning 64bit? You do know that you still can run 32bit programs on 64b yes?

I’ll leave you with this from Microsofts FAQ.

Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?
Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.

Device drivers designed for the 32-bit version of Windows don’t work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you’re trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won’t work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows.

I realize your computer knowledge may be lacking. I also realize you have no idea of what hardware/software I have on my PC and what implications there are for me by running a 64-bit OS.

I also realize that you may not fully understand that there are limitations I face by legally upgrading my OS under the MS terms and conditions.

All n’ all, I realize that there are those out there who, outside of this situation are quite content to sit on their high horse and scoff, all the while thinking they are too smart to find them selves in such a ridiculous situation.

Fact of the matter that will not change, regardless of how much you try and put the blame on me.

ANet knew this was an issue, and failed to inform potential customers.

Geotherma.2395

Personally I’m confused why someone would rush to Windows 8 after seeing what Windows… well, EVERY windows before it has done, aside from 7 I don’t mind.

Perhaps you’re confused because are not able to understand that others have different needs and tastes than you?

Secondly, who buys Windows 8 with only 32b? I can’t remember if Windows 8 is like the previous versions where 32b can only handle 3gb of ram, but either way just seems silly to get a newer version with an older less efficient core.

Perhaps you need to consider that there are those out there that have other needs, or limitations than you? I’m not sure what to tell you. If you think buying a 32-bit version of an OS is somehow too crazy to comprehend, then I’m not sure what I can say to you.

GW2 didn’t work well.
I quit.

Or…

I purchased Win 8 32-bit based on the limitations of my system, software requirements, and the limited way MS upgrades systems (Online purchases only upgrade 32-bit versions to 32-bit versions, simple as that), and because all other games that list minimum requirements have ran just fine in a 32-bit environment.

GW was not open with the true system requirements, and when I experienced issues, I was told the only solution was to purchase a 64-bit version.

I bought a 64-bit version to continue playing the game. I put money that would have otherwise gone into the game, into the OS to play the game. This is, in the end ANet’s loss for not being transparent.

I didn’t quit…I was grumbling through Crab Toss today.

snip

I will just say that I do have experience with computers at the college level, though I often forget things time to time. But how I look at games I want to play is that I never do the minimum, I always look at the “suggested” as my personal minimum requirements. Because those specs are what will run the game at least smoothly, and anything above is all the better.

I understand you may have limitations, money, knowledge, time, availability. But in the end you cannot fault a company for not listing the several million setups that do not work with the game. 32 bit DOES work, even on the crappy computer I listed. But they can not write out a million page report on every driver, every cpu, every single spec combination that will not work with GW2. Aside from all that, this is 2013, computers are advancing at alarming levels. In order to keep up it is on the consumer to either continually upgrade components or simply purchase new and better equipment. I bought my own computer years ago, and it is still years away from ever being listed as the “minimum requirements” of any game. It isn’t the best, but it is an investment. And anyone who owns a computer should see it as such. Just as you would buy a house, a car, or any large purchase. A computer is what you will be using hopefully for years to come, and getting the bare bones one now will only cost more in the long run. But there’s nothing wrong with that if its all you can afford, I don’t expect you to go into debt to play a game. But take all that into consideration before blaming the company who made the game.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I will just say that I do have experience with computers at the college level, though I often forget things time to time. But how I look at games I want to play is that I never do the minimum, I always look at the “suggested” as my personal minimum requirements. Because those specs are what will run the game at least smoothly, and anything above is all the better.

If these were available, I probably would have looked at them. However the Wiki doesn’t seem to mention them.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Running_the_game

I understand you may have limitations, money, knowledge, time, availability. But in the end you cannot fault a company for not listing the several million setups that do not work with the game. 32 bit DOES work, even on the crappy computer I listed. But they can not write out a million page report on every driver, every cpu, every single spec combination that will not work with GW2. Aside from all that, this is 2013, computers are advancing at alarming levels.

Of course. I’m intelligent enough to realize that to list every single combination would be beyond ridiculous.

However, we’re not talking about anything crazy here. 32-bit OS with 4GB and 256+GPU are very common. Thousands, if not millions of people probably have similar systems. I remember a few years ago this was a standard configuration.

I do think that it’s not unreasonable for ANet to list this configuration on the Wiki and/or the official website.

For example:

_ * Note: Systems containing 4GB or more of RAM, and 256MB or more of graphics card memory, running a 32-bit version of Windows may experience frequent crashes. It is recommended that users with systems similar to this run a 64-bit version of the OS._

For more information please check the Wiki here

Then, if they really wanted to, they could post what the support team posted to me. This doesn’t seem like it’s beyond reason considering how prevalent these systems are.

I bought my own computer years ago, and it is still years away from ever being listed as the “minimum requirements” of any game. It isn’t the best, but it is an investment. And anyone who owns a computer should see it as such. Just as you would buy a house, a car, or any large purchase. A computer is what you will be using hopefully for years to come, and getting the bare bones one now will only cost more in the long run. But there’s nothing wrong with that if its all you can afford, I don’t expect you to go into debt to play a game. But take all that into consideration before blaming the company who made the game.

This PC was purchased years ago with investment in mind. I don’t have any problem upgrading my PC in order to keep up with the ever changing landscape of gaming. What I can’t stand is when a company posts minimum specs, yet conveniently omits known issues.

If these known issues create situations in which I have to re-purchase software/hardware then it makes me cranky. It makes me even more cranky when I feel that this information could have easily been documented somewhere prior to me having issues and contacting support.

Are they charged by the word on the Guild Wars 2 Wiki? Is it impossible to put that on the link listed above?

Anyway, I’m rambling, but I just feel ANet (and many other companies ) should make best efforts to give their customers (and potential customers) the most information possible. They have a forum, wiki, twitter, and a website. It seems strange that this couldn’t have been officially documented somewhere.

Geotherma.2395

Still looking for official things, but in the future you can check others suggested requirements as well.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/10019-grand-royal-unified-gw2-requirements-discussion-thread/
http://guildwars2pc.com/guild-wars-2-system-requirements/
http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/guild-wars-2-pc-minimum-system-requirements-check-run-it/

I do agree more could be done, many games have “advisers” which are the programs or apps that scan your system for compatibility with their product. Perhaps they will have this in the future. They do have a game program that scans your info for tech support, that is helpful in many cases as well.

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

I’m running sort of an old laptop with Windows 8 and it works fine in GW2. It only has 4 GB RAM and has a dedicated Radeon video card. I use the auto-detect for video quality.

I used to keep up with the latest hardware, but gave that up years ago. I was already in my 30’s when Doom came out and maintained custom systems throughout my 30’s and 40’s. You can squander a lot of money doing that, I’d rather spend it on my grand kids. Today if it works then it’s good enough for me.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I’m running sort of an old laptop with Windows 8 and it works fine in GW2. It only has 4 GB RAM and has a dedicated Radeon video card. I use the auto-detect for video quality.

I used to keep up with the latest hardware, but gave that up years ago. I was already in my 30’s when Doom came out and maintained custom systems throughout my 30’s and 40’s. You can squander a lot of money doing that, I’d rather spend it on my grand kids. Today if it works then it’s good enough for me.

My other PC is an early 2009 MBP with 4GB and a 256MB GPU (Windows 8 32-bit), and it runs the game just fine.

I’m the same as you. I used to pour hundreds/thousands into game PC’s. These days while I would love full on graphics and 60+FPS, I simply have other priorities.

I realize it’s time for a new PC, but it’s pretty low on the list right now. I would have much rather spent the money on a new game, GW2 loot, or towards a new PC….it just sucks I had to put it towards re-purchasing the OS I already own. Seems like such a waste of money.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

With 2 minutes searching on the forums, I found these posts by Devs:

Nov. 15th
Hi Cael, as far as your case is concerned, I have reviewed your Game Advisor report and the crashes you are experiencing are the result of a known issue between Windows 32-bit Operating Systems and certain Nvidia cards. Due to the RAM limitations of the 32-bit Operating system the game is trying to run off of more RAM than is available which is causing the memory crashes. 32-bit Windows only uses approximately 3.5G total RAM including any video memory. The only options for a resolution in this case would either be to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system or to adjust your system settings to not use more than 3GB of memory. Unfortunately this is not something we can assist with doing as it’s a pretty delicate process which can cause severe damage to your system if done improperly.

Please understand that this issue is not isolated to Guild Wars 2 alone. Any application that will run or require more RAM than what 32-bit operating systems can handle will result in an out of memory crash.
We are aware of this issue and it is being looked into but we do not have an ETA on any kind of resolution other than what I had suggested previously.

Dec. 30th

Hi Ruralgeek,

While we do have some suggestions for helping players work around this issue, ultimately we need you to understand that this is a limitation of 32-bit Operating Systems and not actually of Guild Wars 2. The main issue here is simply memory limitations inherent in 32-bit Operating Systems. From what you have mentioned, you have upwards of 16GB of RAM but due to how 32-bit operating systems work, you can only use 3.5 GB. The problem comes in the form of the additional video memory your graphics card has.

This is where it gets a little complex but the short version is that the additional memory can push your total available memory into negative numbers resulting in crashes or simply, “out of memory errors.” Some players have resolved this by upgrading to 64-bit operating systems and others have simply removed physical RAM from the system to bring the memory totals closer to values intended for that revision of Windows (32-bit). Obviously removing RAM from your PC is not an ideal solution but I wanted to give you all the information we have found regarding these issues. You can read more about this issue from Microsoft here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605 but the important part is listed below:

“For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of onboard memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of system memory is already installed, part of that address space must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites a part of the system memory. These conditions reduce the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system.”

One solution presented by players being affected by this is to change the “Maximum pre-rendered frames” in the Nvidia control panel. To do this:

1. Right-click on your desktop and select “Nvidia Control Panel.”

2. Select "Manage 3D Settings.

3. Scroll down until you find “Maximum pre-rendered frames” and change it from “Use the 3D application settings” to “1.”

Once completed, click “Apply” to save your changes and try Guild Wars 2 again.

I am sure one could keep searching and find this information posted a few more times. Just to let you know it was posted on the forums as you were hoping. =)

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

With 2 minutes searching on the forums, I found these posts by Devs:

Great job!

Here is a challenge. Search for an issue you didn’t think you had on the forums, then post the information here when it effects you.

It’s cool that you can find the solution now. Sure, once the problem is there it seems pretty easy to find all the information in the world. The thing is, if you have no reason to believe there will be a problem because the official information provided doesn’t contain any information to lead you to believe there would be an issue…why would you search for one?

I appreciate you looking, and such, but after the fact really doesn’t change things.

Geotherma.2395

Being proactive > being reactive ^^; when possible.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

All this blaming is simply what Sigmund Freud called “displacement”. Someone knowingly made a bad choice, but took the chance anyways. Due to the failure of the choice, a person experiencing humiliation and shame is directing it elsewhere in order to cope. He then lashes out at others offering help, further protecting the ego from damage.

At least, that’s what I learned in my college psychology classes.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

All this blaming is simply what Sigmund Freud called “displacement”. Someone knowingly made a bad choice, but took the chance anyways. Due to the failure of the choice, a person experiencing humiliation and shame is directing it elsewhere in order to cope. He then lashes out at others offering help, further protecting the ego from damage.

Imagine how this thread would have gone if the OP used “reaction formation”

The Burninator

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Here is some psychology for you.

Humans don’t like to feel deceived. Typically, when they feel they have been given information that has influenced a choice that turns out to have a negative effect on them, they typically ask why better information wasn’t given.

Many times the feeling is not of humiliation, nor shame, but of deception. In this case you make some assumptions. You assume that purchasing Windows 8 32-bit was a bad choice. However, lets look at this from another perspective.

Positive (good)

1) Every game I’ve ever purchased other than Guild Wars 2 ran without issue
2) All other software ran without issue
3) I had a stable, and workable system
4) The upgrade process was straightforward and pleasant
5) All my hardware worked without issue

Negative (bad)

1) Guild Wars 2 is the only program that crashed consistently.

So, by your logic, the bad choice was actually purchasing GW2. Had I put my money and time into a different game, the chances are that I wouldn’t have had to spend money re-purchaseing a 64-bit version.

Bad choices are often made using bad information. If I had been informed about this issue and still chose to buy the 32-bit version, then yes, it would have been a bad choice. However, you can’t blame people for getting upset when the choices they make go wrong due to bad information.

Posted by: SaadBaig.8560

SaadBaig.8560

You do know that since you DO have a legitimate copy of Windows 8, you can go ahead and download a LEGITIMATE copy of Windows 8 64 bit that ISN’T CRACKED that DOES NEED a VALID key from the internet….not all torrents are illegal…

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive my frustration, but I am having a bit of an issue.

I have two computers. One, runs Guild Wars 2 without issue, the other has been suffering constant graphical issues and crashes since upgrading the OS in January.

On the Guild Wars 2 official website, there are a list of minimum requirements that this game needs to run. Both of my computers exceed these minimum requirements (not by much mind you, but they still do).

After contacting ArenaNet support, and providing all the information requested of me, I am now being told that the crashing on the one PC is due to the fact that I am running a 32-bit version of Windows 8.

Despite me explaining that I have two machines of similar build, and that one of those machines runs the game without issue, support insists this is due to the version of Windows 8 I am running, and request that I upgrade to the 64-bit version.

The problem here is that Microsoft does not allow users to simply upgrade. The only option I have is to re-purchase and reinstall a retail DVD of Windows 8.

This has me furious. When I purchased the game and upgraded the OS, I did so based on the official minimum requirements. What I am now being told is that those minimum requirements are in fact incorrect, and that I must spend $200+ to make the game run correctly.

What do you think are my options in this case?

I personally feel that ANet should do the following:

1. Provide me with a 64-bit version of Windows 8 OR
refund all the money I’ve spent on this game.

2. Update the official minimum requirements to reflect the new information I’ve been given.

To me, this is false advertising. If my purchases were based on the recommendation and guidelines set by ANet, and then later told that this is in fact not correct, why should I be responsible for spending more money to correct this problem?

Secondly, what if this doesn’t solve the issue? As I’ve stated before, one of my PC’s runs GW2 just fine with a 32-bit version of Windows 8, so what if I spend $200+ to “upgrade” only to find out the problem persists? What will I be told next, my GPU needs replacing, I need to add 8GB ram, I need to buy a new PC?

I am curious to hear your thoughts on this. My support ticket is currently awaiting a reply from ANet, but I’m not hopeful. I’m just wondering what you would do.

The thing is, though, that when you started this thread, you had not yet purchased a 64-bit version. Many people gave you suggestions on how to solve your problem, and you chose the $200 (or $130) choice, and blame ArenaNet. You could have solved your problem for free, but that wasn’t the option you preferred, so it seems there is no one to blame but yourself about spending $200 (or $130). /shrug

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)