support supervisor please ADVISE

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Sayon.3120

Sayon.3120

My boyfriend stopped playing guildwars 2 for 2 years. As the password requirement involves having a “special character” in it, he cannot remember what it is.

He also does not have the serial number of his digital purchase as it was 2 years ago and he deletes old emails.

he submitted a ticket earlier today about forgetting his password, however he received an inappropriate response stating that they can’t help him access his account, no explanation given AT ALL.

There is no other way, other than through tickets, to get customer support. He paid 60$ and did not play for more than a week.

This is a very simple matter and customer support should be able to resolve the matter in a few minutes, not respond in a completely unhelpful manner.

He also does not remember which email he used to sign up, as he has 2 emails he uses for games, so that might be why support is not helping him, however that info should be included in the response.

Please help.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

My boyfriend stopped playing guildwars 2 for 2 years. As the password requirement involves having a “special character” in it, he cannot remember what it is.

He also does not have the serial number of his digital purchase as it was 2 years ago and he deletes old emails.

he submitted a ticket earlier today about forgetting his password, however he received an inappropriate response stating that they can’t help him access his account, no explanation given AT ALL.

There is no other way, other than through tickets, to get customer support. He paid 60$ and did not play for more than a week.

This is a very simple matter and customer support should be able to resolve the matter in a few minutes, not respond in a completely unhelpful manner.

He also does not remember which email he used to sign up, as he has 2 emails he uses for games, so that might be why support is not helping him, however that info should be included in the response.

Please help.

It sounds like your boyfriend has little to no information related to his account including the email he used to register. Some information about the account is required in order to confirm ownership of the account for security reasons. One can’t just contact support and say, “I forgot everything about my account please let me change my password,” for obvious reasons.

If your boyfriend can recall more information related to his account he should respond to the message he got from support. If anything he should respond asking exactly what information they require to verify his account.

Side note: He may be tempted to submit another ticket. Please discourage him from doing so as duplicate tickets slow response time. Just have him respond to the email he received from support.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Sayon.3120

Sayon.3120

Most password recovery systems only require an email address and send an email to the account for verification. The fact that no info is provided at all in regards to why they won’t help him access his account also slows ticket response time in terms of resolving the issue.

Im sure there are many people who don’t bother to write down their account information because they think they will remember it. And personally, I have never kept serial numbers. There should be protocol for these type of situations.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Most password recovery systems only require an email address and send an email to the account for verification. The fact that no info is provided at all in regards to why they won’t help him access his account also slows ticket response time in terms of resolving the issue.

Im sure there are many people who don’t bother to write down their account information because they think they will remember it. And personally, I have never kept serial numbers. There should be protocol for these type of situations.

I gave you solid advice. Take it as you will. If your boyfriend wants his account back he will need to respond to the email he received from support and ask them what information they require to recover his account. If he can provide that information then he should be able to get his account back. If can’t well chalk it up to security. There have been a lot of accounts getting hacked over the last few months. Security is essential to avoid such things.

The Burninator

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There is no requirement to use special characters in passwords. Perhaps, your friend saved his password in his browser, thereby allowing him to look it up with the appropriate browser tools? Worth a look, maybe. =)

I’m sure the email from CS was polite, and stated your friend should respond with any questions he might have. Remember, the security measures are in place to protect your friend’s account from others, as much as possible.

Good luck.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Please help.

No, support shouldn’t say “By the way, the email you are contacting us isn’t the email used on the account”, that is basically helping those who aren’t the account owners gain more information to accounts. He can continue to speak to support through the ticket asking what information they are wanting. But if he can’t give them anything, and expects them to say “Here is the email address” then that is fantasy land.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

While perhaps a bit…er… “direct” … the input from players is accurate. We must have some information about an account, some “proof of ownership,” or we cannot possibly turn over details that allow someone — who could be anyone at all — to access the account.

We do not require a special character in our passwords. We do, sometimes, use the name of a character on the account as one of several possible means to try to confirm account ownership. That isn’t to say that a character name could be accepted alone, because character names are publicly visible. But in conjunction with other account information, it could help. So that may be what your boyfriend saw, and je confused the inquiry about a character name with the use of a symbol like % or @.

I do not believe that someone said “No” without a reason or explanation. That makes no sense at all — we want our players to be able to play on their accounts! If this is at least three days old, you may post in the “Tickets for Review” thread with the ticket number. At this point, no one — including me! — really has sufficient details to help with your concerns. And posting here asking for a supervisor review isn’t at all effective.

Thanks for understanding.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet