1/4 Update Notes broke Continuum Shift

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Kiff Bridger.3748

Kiff Bridger.3748

I wanted to mention that the update notes that patched Continuum Shift for chronomancer broke it- we no longer get the additional duration from illusions- its a flat 1.5 seconds now.

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

This. I’m guessing it’s a bug, but it was called a bug fix.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

Posted by: DanniPhantom.9726

DanniPhantom.9726

Continuum Shift messed up my whole Mesmer build. It no longer gives the extra duration per each clone shattered. Three clones shatter and it is still 1.5 seconds. Please fix it

Posted by: Balthalzar.6243

Balthalzar.6243

Seriously A.Net do you even play your own game?
This kittenes me off.

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

I concur. Bugged for me as well.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Steal Chest.8214

Steal Chest.8214

1,5 seconds? You’re generous. I barely have time to cast Time Warp and poof it’s gone, even with three illusions.
Please fix this ’’fix’’. It bugged the whole skill.

Posted by: aelfwe.4239

aelfwe.4239

Tooltip says that cs is intended to grant additional duration for every illusion you have up while using it.

Actually it give flat 1,5 sec duration regardless the number of illusion you have up.

This totally break up class’ mechanic.

Fix it and next time before patching a “2 patch note” patch be sure that the 2 patch note actually work

Aelfwe Dark Asura Mesmer\Thief,
FREE PYRO

Posted by: Chris McSwag.4683

Chris McSwag.4683

1.5s regardless of illusions = no time to do rotation in cs = useless F5

I know that coding is hard and that some issues only reveal themselves in certain ways, however it would be very appreciated if some basic testing would be done before release.

Please revert to previous code or fix fast. With 1.5 CS, chrono is severely crippled in all parts of the game.

[eS] Ethereal Synergy
DPS Benchmarks, Raids, Low-mans etc.

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

Yup, I noticed this immediately after patching. At first, I thought the boss I was fighting somehow shattered a clone or 2 without me realising it, so I did it again and double, tripple-checked that I had 3 clones and it only gave me the base 1.5 seconds.

The last patch has broken one of the main Chronomancer skills (Contiuum Split). This needs to be fixed asap.

On a more whiney note, why did this get broken to patch a couple of things that didn’t even need to be touched imo?

Posted by: Karl McLain

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Continuum shift is indeed bugged when shattering additional illusion. We’re actively investigating the issue and hope to have a resolution on it soon.

-Karl

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Continuum shift is indeed bugged when shattering additional illusion. We’re actively investigating the issue and hope to have a resolution on it soon.

-Karl

I mean… it was working normally until being “patched”, just undo it then. I do question the wisdom and necessity of this “patch”.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: Distillia.9834

Distillia.9834

Hi, Please also take a look at this:

Summoning a NEW Phantasm over a Phantasm who has been shattered previously, no longer refreshes the Chronophantasma charge on the NEW Phantasm.

Noticed during Sabetha:
3 Avengers up, F5, I cycle in 3 New Avengers, F5 and they’re all dead.

Edit:
This might be on change between Sabetha/Sub-Bosses when they disappear.

(edited by Distillia.9834)

Posted by: Thaladred.1406

Thaladred.1406

At least they haven’t posted on reddit before official forums this time.

Just doing my civic duty of making the official forums as toxic as possible. Don’t think of me as a hero, but as a friend.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

If i could give just one small advice. If you “fix” a bug in relation to something, test that something before you send it live.

It may take a bit of time and you know, you would have to actually log in and play the game for a while. In the long run it has been proven to pay off to test things before releasing them.

Thank You.

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

Wow, that’s 2 crazy bugs that totally cripple a chronomancer and cause a huge drop in raid DPS. I hope they fix the TWO bugs very fast.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Oh my gosh I thought I was just going crazy on Gors earlier. This makes so much more sense now. I’ve killed Gorseval a lot but was my first try today as Chrono and I couldn’t get my rotation to work. I thought somehow he was breaking my continuum split. So good news is I’m not terrible. Bad news this is terrible.

Posted by: LionChain.7694

LionChain.7694

as Fry from futurama would say, ‘fix it fix it fix it fix it……fix it fix it fix it fix it’

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

I wanted to mention that the update notes that patched Continuum Shift for chronomancer broke it- we no longer get the additional duration from illusions- its a flat 1.5 seconds now.

I was unaware that merely uploading update notes to the forums can break things… Perhaps we should use another delivery method for these patch notes?

Posted by: doombreaker.3710

doombreaker.3710

-Karl

I mean… it was working normally until being “patched”, just undo it then. I do question the wisdom and necessity of this “patch”.

This. You just broke an entire class during PvP season. Undo the patch ASAP and find the bug afterwards.

Posted by: VladR.9827

VladR.9827

can you really fix anything while not breaking other things same time !?

Posted by: White.1873

White.1873

It’s my first time me posting here. I just wanted to let you know how frustrated I am at the moment because of this, since today I got a free day and I can’t even play with my chrono. Let’s play another game until they “fix” it properly.

Posted by: Riven.4127

Riven.4127

Why… why hasn’t this been hotfixed yet? One would think twelve hours is long enough…

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

-Karl

How about actively test your game patch before releasing, you know like every other game companies do, no matter the size of the team?

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Posted by: acapela.8215

acapela.8215

Confirmed, as of 2016/01/05. Worked properly for me just a couple of days ago, now broken, so I am guessing this was the result of some sort of server-side hotfix?

Tooltip text still explicitly states that rift duration increases according to the number of illusions active a time of ability use, but now seems to operates with a fixed 1.5s duration regardless of the number of active illusions.

Why offer a skill that “reverses time” with a core effect that doesn’t last long enough to even make use of it? I am guessing this is a bug… and it breaks one of the chronomancer’s most important new features (possibly THE most important new feature).

Here’s to a quick fix.

Posted by: Mops.5316

Mops.5316

-Karl

The duration of the CS buff scales correctly with number of illusions. Its the forced kill of the continuum rift that does not scale with the number of illusions, so it is killed after 1,5 seconds resulting in the CS buff getting ripped and ending CS.

Posted by: Kibblet.9367

Kibblet.9367

How about actively test your game patch before releasing, you know like every other game companies do, no matter the size of the team?

Who’s to say they didn’t? The bug fix for mesmers was to fix a stuck continuum rift when the ability expired naturally. So imagine if you would a QA member makes a mesmer, F5’s, then waits. Ability expires, rift disappears. Retest a few times to confirm the result. Bug marked as fixed.

What you’re asking for is impossible, for any development or QA team with a large project. A specific bug is entered. That specific bug is fixed. That specific fix is tested.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Who’s to say they didn’t? The bug fix for mesmers was to fix a stuck continuum rift when the ability expired naturally. So imagine if you would a QA member makes a mesmer, F5’s, then waits. Ability expires, rift disappears. Retest a few times to confirm the result. Bug marked as fixed.

What you’re asking for is impossible, for any development or QA team with a large project. A specific bug is entered. That specific bug is fixed. That specific fix is tested.

Why would you not test it with 1/2/3 illusions up? That’s part of QA, it’s directly connected to it and the fix might not even work with illusions up. Would’ve taken 2minutes more to notice at best.

Posted by: Mordayn.6198

Mordayn.6198

More important than the fact it wasn’t caught when they tested it (which actually looks really bad on their part) is that it has been 22 hours and they haven’t hot fixed it yet. This basically breaks the entire class mechanic for the Chrono elite class and they didn’t revert the change. Really concerns me about the state of Anet’s priorities.

Posted by: doombreaker.3710

doombreaker.3710

Guys you have killed an entire class for a whole day. This must have highest priority!

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Bug Fix:

• Chronomancer—Continuum Shift: Fixed an issue that caused the rift to activate for only the minimum duration.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Do you really think they didn’t test it? Would you think that a company of size of Anet would be dumb enough to release stuff without any testing? Have you even worked with software programming, even complex one like MMOs?

The game is a complex thing and even doing thousands tests something could slip off when going into a different environment. Yes, the live servers are different of their test servers. It could have passed their tests in the test servers but when it reached live servers something else triggered the issue and possibly it wasn’t foreseen during those tests. Also, testers are humans, something possibly could have slipped off and gone forgotten during tests. As stated before…

So imagine if you would a QA member makes a mesmer, F5’s, then waits. Ability expires, rift disappears. Retest a few times to confirm the result. Bug marked as fixed.

[..] A specific bug is entered. That specific bug is fixed. That specific fix is tested.

… they tested a specific fix, the tests were to check if such fix worked and if it did it passed, then why it went live. Again, it’s a complex system, it’s hard to foresee what could affect whom, even worse with no much time.

More important than the fact it wasn’t caught when they tested it (which actually looks really bad on their part) is that it has been 22 hours and they haven’t hot fixed it yet. This basically breaks the entire class mechanic for the Chrono elite class and they didn’t revert the change. Really concerns me about the state of Anet’s priorities.

Guys you have killed an entire class for a whole day. This must have highest priority!

Well, they fixed it on 1 day, wouldn’t it mean it was priority? Or priority means fixing stuff within 5 mins? That’s impossible for complex systems like a MMO. See my statements above.

To summarize: Check all facts involved before doing any bs statements or demands. I know it’s a crippling bug, I also play a mesmer, but let’s be comprehensive and patient.

(edited by shadow.6174)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Fortunately, the immediate issue is moot:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-December-15-2015/5899653

Unfortunately, stuff like this seems to happen.

Do you really think they didn’t test it? Would you think that a company of size of Anet would be dumb enough to release stuff without any testing? Have you even worked with software programming, even complex one like MMOs?

To be fair, I’m usually on ANet’s side with stuff like this: software is trickier to code than it is to use.

However, in this case: the bugfix was expected to affect the duration of continuum shift. Accordingly, a ‘reasonable’ test would include checking the duration under a variety of circumstances. Perhaps this wasn’t included in the specs for QA, perhaps it was but no one thought to consider too short a duration.

I take on faith that ANet does extensive testing, has a solid change & quality management protocol (and follows it!), and that the team takes pride in its work (rightfully so, imo).

What I don’t get is why releases seem plagued with bugs that — on face value — seem that they should be easily discovered before release.

Minis disappearing while gliding? OK, perhaps that slips by because there’s no obvious connection. But pushing out a live fix to a duration bug with a different duration bug?

That doesn’t mean that they didn’t do extensive testing. But it looks sloppy, at best. What worries me is that it is suggestive of some type of issue in the code pipeline (which might or might not be a QA issue).

edit: grammar

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)