100% disk usage

100% disk usage

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Zuke.2409

Zuke.2409

Q:

Hello!

I have a technical issue. When playing GW2, sometimes my game will start to lag for a few seconds and then freeze for maybe 15-20 seconds, before returning to normal. This makes me die a lot in pvp and fractals atm. I have been able to ctrl + alt + delete when lagging a few times, to discover my disk usage being at 100%. It seems like “system and compromised memory” might be the culprit.

Additional info: This happens on my new laptop, which I just bought. I installed gw2 by moving it from my old pc to a harrdisk and then to the new pc.

Anyone else suffering from this issue and might know of a fix?

Best regards
Alexander

100% disk usage

Posted by: Zuke.2409

Zuke.2409

These are my specs together with a 192 gb ssd harddisk.

Attachments:

100% disk usage

Posted by: Taegos.4132

Taegos.4132

How much space if left on your SSD?

100% disk usage

Posted by: crepuscular.9047

crepuscular.9047

Open up Resource Monitor, go to Disk, expand Disk Activity and check, my reads are only ~20kb spikes every now and then for Gw2.exe.

have you check the manufacturer’s bloatwares aren’t the actual culprit?

What SSD are you using? Some bundled SSD software have settings like ‘Max Reliability’ that will slow down, but usually not very noticeable.

Ci7-4471 + Corsair Hydro H100i | EVGA GTX980Ti Hybrid | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB | Samsung EVO PRO

100% disk usage

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Also, lack of or busy RAM can cause that. If the system starts to lack memory resources it will resort to Pagination file, that can cause a huge HDD activity at times. Open up Resource Monitor and in Disk Activity check how many process is using pagefile.sys too much, if any. It would be normal for a process to use it, but not normal if the time using it is too high, that means the process hasn’t enough RAM to work.

100% disk usage

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

How much memory is Task Manager reporting being used?

It sounds like you’re running out of memory, possibly from an excess of pre-installed bloat, something (like some of that bloatware) having a memory leak, or the system just having a lower amount of memory (4GB or less). If an application is using an unusually high amount of memory, see if it’s something you can disable or remove.

What shows up as “System and Compressed Memory” is from a Windows 10 feature that essentially uses free/unused memory as a fast-access page file. Idle/background applications get put there instead of on the slow-to-access page file on your hard drive, so they are able to be returned to faster. If that is creating a large amount of disk activity, it’s probably trying to free up memory by dumping its contents to the hard drive’s page file. That would mean the running/active applications and services are taking up all of the system’s memory.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra