2-Step Authentication Not Working

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: ShadowMageAlpha.7580

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

I installed the app on my tablet, and no matter how many times I try to enter the code, it always says invalid.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Did you try copy and pasting it in? Sometimes I looks like 1, etc.

Good luck.

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

I cannot copy something from my tablet onto my computer.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh. Well, perhaps you could start over, and generate a new key. Or use the desktop app. Or contact the CS Team for assistance.

It worked ok for me, but then I didn’t put it on a tablet; just used the computer app.

Good luck.

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

I’ve generated several codes. And even successfully linked my PC and Tablet via my Google account.
Gonna try the desktop app.

Well, tried the desktop app and that worked, but I really want the authenticator on my tablet, and now I cannot unlink the desktop authenticator as I do not have my “special key”.

(edited by ShadowMageAlpha.7580)

Posted by: Fenda.1398

Fenda.1398

There’s probably an easy fix for that problem, ShadowMageAlpha. Make sure your tablet and your PC both show the correct time according to one of the sites showing the time of an atomic clock. If your tablet is just 1 minute late, the generated code will fail to work.

The app works as following: You get a specific, unique code from ArenaNet, which serves as the base encryption key all your generated codes respond to. The exact time and probably date this code gets generated also affects it. So if your tablet is more than one minute off, the code is invalid because it’s time stamp is invalid. Your tablet showing one minute late means your codes are already expired as they are generated every 30 seconds and only the newest and second newest code seem to work. Your tablet showing one minute early means the codes you generate are not valid yet.

Sync the times (there are apps doing that in the appstore if your system doesn’t manage it by itself) and your authenticator should work. Since it worked using the PC-based one i´m almost 100% sure the cause of this failure is a difference in system time and date between your PC and your tablet.