A Chain-Whip Sword with no 'whip animation'?

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Eidolonemesis.5640

Eidolonemesis.5640

Update/Edit 1: Apparently over at my Reddit post about this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4xlr91/bug_a_chainwhip_sword_with_no_whip_animation/ (for more exposure), the Chain-Whip Sword seems to work with some skills on the Mesmer and Revenant that I have heard so far, but it does not seem to work on Warriors, like with the skill Sever Artery, performing a very simple swing of the sword where breakage of the Chain-Whip Sword should be visible.

This is still a problem. Why is the Chain-Whip Sword only working for some classes and sword skills and not all?

Update/Edit 2: So I hopped on a Mesmer I have leveled a little bit, I used the sword skill Blinding Flurry, and I am still not impressed with the whip animation.

////////////////////////

The Chain-Whip Sword from the Gem Store without an actual ‘whip animation’ is either due to false advertisement as its in-game Gem Store icon suggests (it never does unravel into its chain-like form when equipped, when hitting enemies in combat OR when using sword skills like on a Warrior in Towns), shoddy weapon design, or it is due to a bug.

That being said, as much I would like to believe this is the result of yet another false advertisement and/or shoddy weapon design (I have reported similar issues with your company’s items from the Gem Store), I am going to give the weapons design team the benefit of the doubt and believe the lack of a ‘whip animation’ is really the result of a bug.

I don’t know how much it must be said, but when me and other players spend our money at your company’s Gem Store, yes, we do expect items like a Chain-Whip Sword (I went absolutely bonkers over it, thinking it was really what it was) to function as they should mechanically ‘as advertised’.

Conclusively, if this does not get fixed, I will forward the issue to Support and I will get a refund on this item, that is, if you want to continue receiving the money I do invest in your game as a customer. This is very disappointing, and I am not happy about this.

P.S. Does anybody remember the character Ivy from Soul Calibur III? This is how a real Chain-Whip Sword should function: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIJTvnErX4 (not as complex in animation, but you get the idea)

You know, it is sad SC III, an old game from 2005, can get a concept like a Chain-Whip Sword down to the T, but you guys working on the weapons design team over at Anet cannot pull it off? I make this comparison because, frankly, I just don’t get it…

Thank you.

(edited by Eidolonemesis.5640)

Posted by: BryghtShadow.9316

BryghtShadow.9316

I’d love to see a more fluid sword too.

Note that whip animations can be found in Lightning Whip as well as the environmental weapon Herding Crop.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

I bought it for my sword ranger and was sorely disappointed when I saw that it doesn’t turn into a whip for any of the auto-attack animations. The second hit is understandable because it’s a stab, but I was really hoping to see it turn into a whip at least on the third hit of the chain where they spin the sword a couple of times before delivering the final strike. It’d look so cool to see the whip swirling behind the character during the wind-up, then crack your enemy with the extended blade whip.

Posted by: Luranni.9470

Luranni.9470

Adding my little disappointed voice to the thread. I was all excited to get this skin and try it out… but oh my how “meh” it is. I really don’t feel this was as-advertised at all (chain-whip with no chain or whip, ok).

I don’t think it’s a bug or oversight unfortunately as a quick google shows the exact same complaints pretty much every time this weapon comes back to the gemstore.

Is it possible to get refunds?

Luranni
Perish [FLEE]
Gandara

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you are unsatisfied with skin, apply immediately for a (gem) refund. If it’s bugged, ANet will fix it eventually, but… “eventually” might be years for changes to how animations work (generally, it’s either easily fixed quickly or it’s complicated and takes ages to nail down the issues and/or implement the solution).

https://help.guildwars2.com/anonymous_requests/new

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Eidolonemesis.5640

Eidolonemesis.5640

If you are unsatisfied with skin, apply immediately for a (gem) refund. If it’s bugged, ANet will fix it eventually, but… “eventually” might be years for changes to how animations work (generally, it’s either easily fixed quickly or it’s complicated and takes ages to nail down the issues and/or implement the solution).

https://help.guildwars2.com/anonymous_requests/new

Pardon my late reply. Yes, I did submit a refund request (waiting for a response).

That being said, proper animations for a Chain-Whip Sword should not take ‘ages’ to get right since games just as old Guild Wars 1 is before Guild Wars 2 ever came around pulled off way more sophisticated animations with weapons (mind you, countless weapons that required unique animations for each weapon for different characters), so that is NO excuse. Sorry.

Furthermore, even if it hypothetically did take ages to get right for whoever was in charge of designing the Chain-Whip Sword, players like me would rather spent their money/Gems on an item that actually functions as advertised instead of being duped into believing it is what it really is when it is no such thing.

The developers just do not get it (still…) They wonder why the majority of players loathe BL Skins (or do not really bother with buying BL Chests for the BL Tickets), they wonder why this and that when it comes to many of these newly designed weapons when the answer is simple: the issue here boils down to lackluster weapon design. Nothing more, nothing other, nothing less. It is just that. Period.

This problematic weapons design pattern has become increasingly frustrating that extends well beyond the design of just the Chain-Whip Sword, and something should really be done about it, perhaps allocating a few more people on the weapons design team to get the job done right.

It is not right that we are throwing our money/Gems at poorly designed weapons from the Gem Store that, almost every time, seem to have been made for the sake of making a quick dollar, and in the end, that just doesn’t fly. Sales become poor (on Anet’s end), players like me elevate the issue(s), and then a little thing called ‘lasting impressions’ do not stick with us during our next shopping experience at the Gem Store.

The end result is the feeling of ‘reluctance’ that inhabits players to shop at the Gem Store the more this poor quality pattern continues to go on.

(edited by Eidolonemesis.5640)

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

I’m not going to ask for a refund, as I still like the concept of the weapon. I’ll continue to use it on my ranger and simply hope that it’ll be integrated in their new auto-attack animation someday.

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

Yes this is one of those skins that i regretted buying, another being the fan. This sword is the exact right size that I’ve been looking to use on my human characters as i dislike long bulky one handed and 2 handed swords. I ended just using Jormag’s Breath because this sword doesn’t look bling enough, I’m not expecting legendary bling but at least make it stand out a bit more than normal sword, its barely attractive.