Auto-attack cancelled on dodge [merged]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The game actually becomes less fun with every single patch as more and more bugs are introduced that are worse than what’s fixed.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Warjin.8942

Warjin.8942

Same here on all my classes, it seems to cancel when I roll moving sideways using a keybind, roll only works right with double tap.

This needs to get fixed soon, I haven’t played because of this, I log in to check if it is fixed , if not I log out.

Posted by: Wolfbeil.6805

Wolfbeil.6805

I also posted a bug report and yes they said they are aware of the problem and keep checking this tread they will post here when it gets fixed =) have fun with GW2 guys.

LvL 80 Warrior All Exotic Berserker / Valkyrie Build Feel free to add me ingame!

Posted by: Taegos.4132

Taegos.4132

Aight, I spoke to someone again last night and they said that the information they got back from the skills people was that is was supposedly fixed and should be working properly.

For me this is still not the case and auto-attack still cancels on dodge or attempting to dodge with insufficient endurance.

Can those that have been experiencing this bug please test now and see if they to are still broken? Please test both when your at full endurance and can perform the dodge roll and when you are out of endurance and simply hit the dodge key-bind with out rolling to see if they both stop your auto attacks.

Posted by: Foy.7350

Foy.7350

This is the most annoying bug ive ever experienced and it is still there it hasnt been fixed so i just sent in yet another bug report. The first one they responded back with ty and yada yada check the forums for blah blah.

This time I sent in a bug report saying:
“I have read you are aware of the auto attack stopping after dodge rolls when using v or any bind and the last post on the thread said that is has been fixed. This has not been fixed and continues to do so and is so annoying that i am about to quit playing this game. Why pour money into something that doesnt even fix the most important aspect of the game? Dodging is so important to you guys that you think this would be top priority. I know you are busy and all but with all the little fixes for stuff that really isnt all that important it gives us who play the game alot and invest alot into gw2 pause on whether we should continue to do so. Im only trying to get help please.”

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

This is just a thought, but isn’t it possible that with “it’s been fixed” they are referring to the development build, and as such it’ll be put in the next hotfix?

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

Taegos.4132

This is a direct quote from Gaile Gray to me in one of my tickets about this. To me this sounds like it should have been fixed on live.

“I’ve also passed over your comments/concerns about Dodge Roll. My inquiry to the folks who focus on skills resulted in a note that we recently updated this skill and that it should be working as intended. If you have information to the contrary, may I ask that you update this ticket with details of what is not functioning properly?”

So this is why I am still pressing this because its still clearly not fixed.

(edited by Taegos.4132)

Posted by: Verdian.3956

Verdian.3956

Yeah, it clearly isn’t fixed And ti is obviously a bug as when you dodge just straight backwards (just the dodge button) the auto-atk keeps going. Also when you doubletap a direction to dodge it works fine and keeps attacking.
Only stops attacking when you press the dedicated dodge button and a direction. This bug is so annoying, I gave up playing with it cause I end up just standing there for some time until I realize i’m not attacking because i dodged once.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Same thing with my mesmer.

Not sure what you are trying to get at here. All skills with an activation will cancel when you dodge roll.

He means autoattack. Before patch, if you were autoattacking with #1, then dodge rolled, the autoattack would continue after the dodge.

Still working here.

Tested with longbow and Sword.
Longbow tested in open field.

Sword tested in open field versus mobile(dolyak) and mostly immobile target(wurm) and with back to a wall.
Against a mobile target it stops auto attacking until the target back in range either because it walked towards me or I walked towards it.
Against an immobile target it stop auto attacking because I am now out of range but this has always been how it behaved. If I walk back into range it will resume the auto attack.
With back to a wall I stay in range so it just keeps attacking as expected.

None of that seems to be a change from the usual.

That’s odd. My mesmer stops autoattacking every time I dodge roll, even if I’m in range the whole time.

Same here, quite noticeable on mesmer GS1.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Taegos.4132

Now they are saying that they are still working on it and that they have no clue as to when it will be fixed.

So we’re back to square one now with a bug that completely breaks combat for a lot of folks. And they just seem to shrug it off as something minor. Gg ANet

This is begin to get extremely frustrating now that this has been allowed to persist for over a week now. Not only has it not been fixed but you’d think a bug as big as this we could at least get some direct communication from ANet in this thread instead of having to relay information second hand from player to player.

Warjin.8942

I started up Gw2 saw a small patch, I thought, “SWEET” this is the dodge roll fix, loged in and NOPE, it’s still broken, log back out and made this post.

Wolfbeil.6805

I say lets just give it some time guys, I am also frustrated about this matter but These small bugs are really not easy to fix sometimes…I am a game developer as well and it is pretty annoying to fix something, because while they are trying to fix one problem something else pops up and its like a chain reaction…Coding is no easy task guys patience is a virtue =) Have fun and Good Gaming to all of you GW2 Players!

LvL 80 Warrior All Exotic Berserker / Valkyrie Build Feel free to add me ingame!

Taegos.4132

Yea no. I’ve been playing MMOs for over 10 years and whenever there’s been a bug that breaks one of the core parts of the game, combat in this case, its been fixed within 48 hours. The fact that it has been over a week with no fix or communication is deplorable. What ever they changed they need to either fix or push a partial rollback on the code that they changed.

Warjin.8942

Again logged in to see if it was fixed ,it hasn’t been so I logged out.

I don’t understand this should be TOP PRIORITY, this is a core game mechanic bug.

Taegos.4132

LOL so this is great. Now according to my last ticket, the devs that watch the forums for bug posts claim that this bug report was never posted, didn’t exist, nada nil zilch this thread is a figment of our imagination. They claim they have never even seen a post regarding this bug.

Now im just flat out flabbergasted at this point GG Arena Net.

This post has existed for over 10 days, I have personally linked 2 other threads with this bug to this one to keep it the main thread. Their mods even MERGED it, and they claim they never saw a report about it on the forums.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Try deleting the “Local.dat” located in Documents, under Guild Wars 2.

If not everyone is experiencing this issue, as a technician I can only assume that it’s related to the local settings in some way.

Taegos.4132

If not everyone is experiencing this issue, as a technician I can only assume that it’s related to the local settings in some way.

It’s not something we can fix, they have said they are able to reproduce it at their end, it’s a legit bug, please don’t try and confuse the case.

Verdian.3956

I’m not sure not everyone has this bug. Just not everyone notices it.
It is only noticeable at ranged characters when you use a separate dodge button (not the doubletap to dodge) and dodge into a certain direction (not just pressing the dodge button to dodge backwards).
Everyone of my friends have this bug when I explain it to them, they just didnt notice as they are used to spamming the #1 key on their keyboard.

Posted by: Salahn.8256

Salahn.8256

LOL so this is great. Now according to my last ticket, the devs that watch the forums for bug posts claim that this bug report was never posted, didn’t exist, nada nil zilch this thread is a figment of our imagination. They claim they have never even seen a post regarding this bug.

Now im just flat out flabbergasted at this point GG Arena Net.

This post has existed for over 10 days, I have personally linked 2 other threads with this bug to this one to keep it the main thread. Their mods even MERGED it, and they claim they never saw a report about it on the forums.

I made this thread 11 days ago, just after the patch was released that caused this bug, before posting I /bug ‘d this as I’m sure many others here have, I too have posted in other later threads linking this one, so it definatly has been reported, and I’m pretty sure this and the other thread do exist ;p

Salahn.8256

It is only noticeable at ranged characters when you use a separate dodge button (not the doubletap to dodge) and dodge into a certain direction (not just pressing the dodge button to dodge backwards).
Everyone of my friends have this bug when I explain it to them, they just didnt notice as they are used to spamming the #1 key on their keyboard.

This exactly, I’ve asked guild members & friends about this also, most people tend to double tap to dodge, in fact (shock…horror…) I even found quite a few who say they never use dodge!!!

But from everyone I’ve asked to test this, they have all said the same, that yes it does cancel auto-attack when dodging using a directional dodge with bound dodge key.

I’ve kinda got used now to pressing 1 after a dodge, but this is not the solution, its treating the symptom and not the cause.

This is something that “shouldn’t have broken” with the patch, but with something as massive as this game, changing one thing can affect other seemingly unrelated things as well. As we’ve seen through other players not having noticed this there is also a good chance it went past testers completly too (whats the bet all the testers double tap?), thats why games (and other apps) have beta tests, humans will always find a way of doing something in a way that hasnt been alowed for or tested for already !

Hopefully the reports that the devs dont know of this are missinformed, as I’m pretty sure they are. This thread has plety of replys and the community managers would have to be pretty blind not to have noticed it

So lets keep our fingers crossed that they find the problem, but not so crossed that we can’t press 1 after a dodge in the mean time ;p

Taegos.4132

This exactly, I’ve asked guild members & friends about this also, most people tend to double tap to dodge, in fact (shock…horror…) I even found quite a few who say they never use dodge!!!

But from everyone I’ve asked to test this, they have all said the same, that yes it does cancel auto-attack when dodging using a directional dodge with bound dodge key.

I’ve kinda got used now to pressing 1 after a dodge, but this is not the solution, its treating the symptom and not the cause.

This is something that “shouldn’t have broken” with the patch, but with something as massive as this game, changing one thing can affect other seemingly unrelated things as well. As we’ve seen through other players not having noticed this there is also a good chance it went past testers completly too (whats the bet all the testers double tap?), thats why games (and other apps) have beta tests, humans will always find a way of doing something in a way that hasnt been alowed for or tested for already !

Hopefully the reports that the devs dont know of this are missinformed, as I’m pretty sure they are. This thread has plety of replys and the community managers would have to be pretty blind not to have noticed it

So lets keep our fingers crossed that they find the problem, but not so crossed that we can’t press 1 after a dodge in the mean time ;p

This is the response I got, a complete copy paste. Judge for yourself.
This is from Friday BTW so it a very recent reply, well after this thread started.

Response Gaile Gray via Email 06/07/2013 07:31 PM
Hi (name redacted)

I heard back from the devs. They tell me that this bug has not appeared on the forums — Bugs, PvP, or General, nor on Reddit — and they remind me that they check those daily. So again, I would really like you to please post bug reports on the Bugs forum and we will do our best to review, assess, and fix the issue. I specify suggest detailed and concise reports because sometimes someone gets so upset about an issue that he makes multiple threads or starts bumping other threads with comments related to his report, and that makes it hard to find the real bugs.

But, having said that, this IS a real bug. Using the more detailed info you sent in your latest ticket update, the team was able to verify the bug because they could reproduce it using the steps you provided. I cannot be sure when it will be fixed, but it’s in the bug list (I saw it there and I did check), it is under a dev’s eye, and I have confidence it’ll be resolved soon.

Thanks for the information!

Sincerely yours,

Gaile Gray
Support Liaison
ArenaNet

Verdian.3956

That is more than what I got from my ticket.
I only got thanked for reporting the bug and asked if I can use the ingame bug-report to report future bugs I find. Which I did as well, just don’t like not hearing anything back from an ingame bug-report. It somehow feels like they didn’t receive it or see it.

But thanks for keeping us updated on the matter.

Jigain.8231

It saddens me that the developers who are supposed to keep track of all the bugs submitted in this subforum have somehow managed to miss this thread (which has been on the first page about 80% of the times I’ve looked at it) for almost two weeks straight.

Also, for the record, I did submit an in-game bug report the very day the bug first started occuring.

Salahn.8256

This is the response I got, a complete copy paste. Judge for yourself.
This is from Friday BTW so it a very recent reply, well after this thread started.

Response Gaile Gray via Email 06/07/2013 07:31 PM
Hi (name redacted)

I heard back from the devs. They tell me that this bug has not appeared on the forums — Bugs, PvP, or General, nor on Reddit — and they remind me that they check those daily. So again, I would really like you to please post bug reports on the Bugs forum and we will do our best to review, assess, and fix the issue. I specify suggest detailed and concise reports because sometimes someone gets so upset about an issue that he makes multiple threads or starts bumping other threads with comments related to his report, and that makes it hard to find the real bugs.

But, having said that, this IS a real bug. Using the more detailed info you sent in your latest ticket update, the team was able to verify the bug because they could reproduce it using the steps you provided. I cannot be sure when it will be fixed, but it’s in the bug list (I saw it there and I did check), it is under a dev’s eye, and I have confidence it’ll be resolved soon.

Thanks for the information!

Sincerely yours,

Gaile Gray
Support Liaison
ArenaNet

hmm great to see a reply, I’ll get a vid up showing the bug in action

Salahn.8256

Entered the mists to show this bug on a trainig golem.

YouTube vid

Taegos.4132

So, after yet another back and forth with Gaile, and making her aware of the fact that this has been reported for 2 weeks now, shes going to let the Devs know about this thread. Its sad that we had to go though 2 weeks of this crap, and me with over a dozen tickets all because the devs that supposedly monitor this forum for bugs cant do their job.

I love this game but sometimes this kinda crap really tests ones patience with a company.

On a side note, she is going to see if she can get a dev to respond to this with a possible time frame on this crap.

We’ll see though, not really holding my breath at this point.

Wolfbeil.6805

Entered the mists to show this bug on a trainig golem.

YouTube vid

Salahn Great job great effort mate thanks a lot. Don’t know if you already did but maybe you should attach the link or the video on a bug report or something? Don’t get me wrong maybe you already did I am just curious =) thanks again.

Jigain.8231

On a side note, she is going to see if she can get a dev to respond to this with a possible time frame on this crap.

We’ll see though, not really holding my breath at this point.

Yeah, I’ve kind of given up by now. Just like the bug with my thief that makes it unplayable, I’ve come to accept that this’ll never actually be fixed.

If it does, I’ll be happy of course. I just don’t expect it anymore.

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Next

Just FYI it does not happen all of the time but we do have a 100% reproducible case now and are working on a solution. I’ll check in on an ETA when I get a chance.

Jon

Salahn.8256

Just FYI it does not happen all of the time but we do have a 100% reproducible case now and are working on a solution. I’ll check in on an ETA when I get a chance.

Jon

Great

Thanks for replying here, hope to hear from you with the fix soon

Posted by: syphdias.5467

syphdias.5467

Not sure what you are trying to get at here. All skills with an activation will cancel when you dodge roll.

Sadly this is NOT the case, I wish it were

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

Previous

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

This should be fixed on live in < 2 weeks!

Posted by: Fade.7658

Fade.7658

One patch to break it, yet weeks to fix it.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

let me guess……6/25?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

One patch to break it, yet weeks to fix it.

You don’t know how long it took to implement that patch. Could have been months! :P

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

It would be nice if you would put a stop to those using the Auto-Dodge cheat program while you’re at it . . . getting really sick of the cheatings flooding your game while the Devs do nothing.

Wolfbeil.6805

I am pretty sure there are lots of problems that many people are not aware of in game wise but also we can’t expect the developers to fix everything at once, I told this before trust me it is not an easy task to fix something without effecting rather breaking other working mechanics of the game. Well at least Jon replied and said it is going to be fixed soon personally speaking i am grateful. Have fun in the game guys =)

Taegos.4132

I am pretty sure there are lots of problems that many people are not aware of in game wise but also we can’t expect the developers to fix everything at once, I told this before trust me it is not an easy task to fix something without effecting rather breaking other working mechanics of the game. Well at least Jon replied and said it is going to be fixed soon personally speaking i am grateful. Have fun in the game guys =)

The thing is here, is that we would have never gotten a reply if I hadnt been bugging the crap out of the CS department. I had to personally get Gaile to read my tickets just to get her to get in touch with the devs to tell them that a thread did exist even after they made a ridiculous claim that there had never been a thread. Thats what has me so annoyed atm. Had they of seen this thread when it started we would be near live with a fix given their ETA.

Wolfbeil.6805

The thing is here, is that we would have never gotten a reply if I hadnt been bugging the crap out of the CS department. I had to personally get Gaile to read my tickets just to get her to get in touch with the devs to tell them that a thread did exist even after they made a ridiculous claim that there had never been a thread. Thats what has me so annoyed atm. Had they of seen this thread when it started we would be near live with a fix given their ETA.

I get your point and believe me i share the same feelings and thanks to you that the Devs got aware of this tread but what i am saying is lets just give the guys some credit, they are working hard and is no easy task to keep track of thousands of players and bug reports =) but thanks for your efforts mate i appreciate.

Taegos.4132

I get your point and believe me i share the same feelings and thanks to you that the Devs got aware of this tread but what i am saying is lets just give the guys some credit, they are working hard and is no easy task to keep track of thousands of players and bug reports =) but thanks for your efforts mate i appreciate.

While I am sure to get flack for this.

Blizzard seems to do a pretty fine job at it, especially when it comes to combat breaking bugs. And they have twice if not more players and wayyyyyy more thread activity. So again there was no excuse for this to have been ignored for so long. The devs making a claim that this thread never existed was just more salt on the wounds because they apparently are not doing their job and reading threads like they say they are.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Jon

I wonder when it doesn’t happen, because it seems to be a reliable 100% for me.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Jigain.8231

I’ll be honest, I’d feel a lot less disappointed if not for the fact that the people (note the plural) who’ve been assigned to watch this subsection of the forum and relay all bugs on to the development team did not relay this particular bug to the dev team, despite it being on the first page at least once daily.

That it takes time to track down, I can understand. That it takes time to fix it, I can understand. But when multiple people with the explicit duty to watch these threads miss this thread every day, (hopefully?) multiple times a day, for almost two weeks… I cannot understand how that is tolerated. Add to that that multiple people reported the bug in-game as well and it’s baffling that the bug “hasn’t existed” for as long as it did.

Well, what’s done is done, I suppose. I’m glad it’ll finally be fixed, for what it’s worth.

Wolfbeil.6805

While I am sure to get flack for this.

Blizzard seems to do a pretty fine job at it, especially when it comes to combat breaking bugs. And they have twice if not more players and wayyyyyy more thread activity. So again there was no excuse for this to have been ignored for so long. The devs making a claim that this thread never existed was just more salt on the wounds because they apparently are not doing their job and reading threads like they say they are.

Well no further comments on my behalf, you got a point there which can not be denied.

Posted by: Fade.7658

Fade.7658

Well, it had appeared to be fixed a few days ago, but a subsequent patch fubared it again. Hurray for quality programming at Anet.

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

I had this happen on my 1 auto attack skill as well, when i informed players around me about it they said that dodge was a self cancel skill but in this case yes its a bug, since i remember long ago i did not have to keep pressing my auto attack to attack my target after i dodged. please fix this as soon as possible ^^

Wolfbeil.6805

Interesting, it’s been like what now almost 2 months? I don’t want to say it but guess I need to try and live with this, but i must say that this is pretty annoying and my gaming experience and fun got shrinked can’t even do PvP or WvW anymore. It’s sad…

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

Interesting, it’s been like what now almost 2 months? I don’t want to say it but guess I need to try and live with this, but i must say that this is pretty annoying and my gaming experience and fun got shrinked can’t even do PvP or WvW anymore. It’s sad…

well as a mod mentioned in this thread this issue will be fixed in todays patch(june 25) so we’ll just have to wait and see^^

Jigain.8231

Interesting, it’s been like what now almost 2 months?

27 days exactly.

Posted by: Wild Bulbasaur.1938

Wild Bulbasaur.1938

To be more specific, this happens when somebody is moving in a direction, and uses the dedicated (default ‘v’) key to dodge. When you dodge while moving, (sideways for example) your auto-attack does in fact stop for what seems to be about 2-3 auto-attack cast times, then it resumes. It bothers me, and seems to have been happening before the patch for me at least

ONEONETHOUSAND / Trenchcoat Kitty / Paper Star
Guardian / Theif / elementalist
PR admin of [VoC]

Jigain.8231

Seems to be fixed with today’s patch. Admittedly I only had a limited time to test, on about eight mobs with excessive dodging, but the auto-attack resumed after every dodge. Even noticed one time when I managed to dodge just as the auto-attack began, the auto-attack carried on through the dodge. Potentially exploitable. Didn’t have time to fill in a bug report though.