Autologin bugs and changing credentials

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

This is not another simple “autologin doesn’t work” post.

I have two GW2 accounts – although this problem would also apply (albeit only once) if I were trying to alter my account name or password.

The problems I see stem from the fact that autologin is not, currently, working consistently (mostly it doesn’t happen; sometimes it does) – and a related client abend.

With “remember account name” and “remember password” checked, I usually have to then click “log in” to actually continue.

That suits me fine. Normally, I want to use the same account as the one I logged out from, so having the credentials remembered suits me fine – but sometimes I want to swap accounts and enter new credential – and I can.

However. Sometimes, autologin happens anyway.

1) that is annoying in itself, because it would be nice if the function were at least consistent.

2) the window to interrupt autologin is short. If I don’t locate and click on Cancel in the first couple of seconds, the login process takes over and I lose that screen. And if I then try to log out to change accounts, autologin invariably kicks in again – giving me little chance to make the change. And round, and round, and so on. And to date, once the client has decided that autologin is to be engaged, exiting it completely doesn’t seem to change things; when I restart the client, behaviour is the same.

3) if I successfully manage to click on Cancel, and change the login details, the client then crashes. Every time. About the one good thing is that, on relaunch, it has then forgotten the old login credentials – so autologin can’t and doesn’t happen.

So, basically, the only way I can be sure of having clean control over launching my client, with the credentials I want at the time, seems to be to enter one or both values every time.

(I’m aware of the “-autologin” switch. I used to use it for single-account play, with 100% success. But what I need is consistency of behaviour, and – ideally – the ability to remember the last lot of credentials without automatically launching the game when that’s not what I want. Autologin ought to be a third option, independent of the “remember” check boxes – and a command line switch “-noautologin” to allow the client to be definitively launched without the behaviour ought to be available.)

I have ways around this, clearly (not remembering password is easiest) – but even with that, we need at least a consistent way to get to the login credentials screen when auotologin has been requested, and no abend when we do so.

(edited by Doghouse.1562)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t have that issue changing between accounts as I have ‘auto-play’ unchecked. I do, however, have ‘remember password’ and ‘remember account name’ checked.

Are you saying unchecking ‘auto-play’ does not work for your client? Or your command line argument is working when you don’t want it to? Did you remove it?

Have you tried a -repair?

(Also, I am not familiar with the term ‘abend’…sorry.)

Doghouse.1562

I don’t have that issue changing between accounts as I have ‘auto-play’ unchecked. I do, however, have ‘remember password’ and ‘remember account name’ checked.

Are you saying unchecking ‘auto-play’ does not work for your client? Or your command line argument is working when you don’t want it to? Did you remove it?

Have you tried a -repair?

(Also, I am not familiar with the term ‘abend’…sorry.)

Autoplay is not the problem. There are two visible phases to launching the game, with different client screens. First, log in (enter account details and password; server checks who you are). When you’ve logged in, the credential information disappears and you get all the web-site-related blurb. Second, launch the game proper. Autoplay controls the second, and is controlled by the check box on the second screen (erratum That’s on the first screen as well. Oh well.). That works fine.

Autologin controls the first phase – if you’ve entered correct account details and password, should the game move forward to the second screen – i.e. act as though you’d hit the “log in” button – without waiting for you to do something? At points in GW2’s history, the answer has been “yes, if both remember boxes have been checked”, and “yes, if the -autologin switch has also been specified” (and sometimes “no, even if the switch has been specified” – but that one was definitively a bug). The problem is that right now, we’re stuck somewhere between the two – if you don’t specify the switch, but have asked for credentials to be remembered, usually it doesn’t move on without a user interaction, but sometimes it does – and if it does, it’s not possible – or I, at least, haven’t found a way – to get in there and stop it doing so without crashing the client.)

(“Abend”. Sorry – mainframe terminology: “ABnormal END”. I.e., a crash.)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh…well, I’ve not seen anyone else posting with this issue. Perhaps, it is rather isolated. Again, a -repair may be in order.

If you continue to have difficulties, and desire an individualized response, you can submit a request to the Tech CS Team using the link above/below.

Good luck.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The auto login has been broken for a long time. There was a number of posts about it when it first came up, months ago. I guess people gave up and stopped reporting it or used the posted fix.

Googling it, looks like it was Sept. 9th last year. No auto login after patch

You can try this fix:
“If you add the command line parameter -autologin to the GW2 shortcut, GW2 autostarts as before the update.
How to add command line parameters: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Doghouse.1562

The auto login has been broken for a long time. There was a number of posts about it when it first came up, months ago. I guess people gave up and stopped reporting it or used the posted fix.

Googling it, looks like it was Sept. 9th last year. No auto login after patch

You can try this fix:
“If you add the command line parameter -autologin to the GW2 shortcut, GW2 autostarts as before the update.
How to add command line parameters: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

And if you read my first post, you’ll see that
a) I already know that,
b) that’s not what I need, and
c) that’s not the point I was making.
And I said as much in the very first line.

On the contrary, I’m quite happy that, without the switch, autologin doesn’t happen – that’s the way things should be. I was posting about: the consequences when it unexpectedly does; a 100% repeatable crash I get when I try and dig myself out of the mess that causes; and the way I’d suggest it ought to work if they ever decide to get around to “fixing” it (because the way it was previously designed was already broken).

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hmm…I’ve never had it move on without -autologin. I’ve never read anyone else post about the game logging in without the command to do so.

Maybe your client has a corrupted file or two.

Sorry to hear your client is acting oddly. Good luck.