Awakening Personal Story Bug (game stopping)

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Imaginos.3756

Imaginos.3756

I have a L36 Sylvari Mesmer who was L36 before the current NPE update. I have never done the personal story on her outside of talking to the person to get the first part of the quest (go get the salve from the trolls).

Problems:

• There is no Green Star on the map for this quest at all.
  • No Green Star/Arrows show up to lead you there if you talk with Mender Aviala again.
  • It is impossible to move beyond this and thus my character is totally locked out of the personal story.

I started a new sylvari mesmer to see if it was bugged for new characters and after reaching level 10 and talking to Mender Aviala I was able to see the green star and enter the mission and complete it successfully so this is only affecting pre-existing characters before this whole NPE stuff went live.

Possibly resetting the first step so that my older, higher level character has to talk to Mender Aviala would probably fix it i’m guessing….maybe the old waypoint got moved in the update or something?

Anyway this is very frustrating!

Imaginos.3756

More info. Leveling the character to 40 did not give access to the messed up story. It did say it unlocked the L40 story as it should but I of course do not have access to that, not having been able to do the L10 story, which used to be the L1 story.

Posted by: Gaxfer.5836

Gaxfer.5836

I have a level 12 sylvari ranger currently, and I’m experiencing the same thing. The character was made before the “update”. I finally got him up to level 10 today, I read the letter in the mail, and now I’m stuck. It immediately checked off “Talk to Mender Aviala”, even tho I didnt talk to her yet. There’s no green star on the map, no instance to enter, and the new quest guide compass disappears. Interestingly, the green map marker will reappear if I leave Caledon Forest, but will then disappear again once I re-enter the map.

Posted by: Satay.2967

Satay.2967

Yeah, the same bug is happening to me.

I’m a L26 elementist (created before the update) and was trying to return to my personal story.

As Gaxfer said; from any other map, i see the green spiral and arrow taking me to Caledon Forest. Once on that map, however, i loose all indications. Also my story journal shows my curent task as “Talk to Mender Aviala”, yet it is crossed off and whenever i speak with her, she does not have the green spiral above her head and she says “Have you found the troll salve yet?” and i can’t enter the instance.

… Hoping this can be fixed soon!

(edited by Satay.2967)

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

the instance “should” be by the troll cave to the east (where you get to Sleive’s Inlet vista), at least it used to be. Maybe try going over there and seeing if there is an instance marker?

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Satay.2967

the instance “should” be by the troll cave to the east (where you get to Sleive’s Inlet vista), at least it used to be. Maybe try going over there and seeing if there is an instance marker?

I’d already tried looking near the troll cave but i just had another good look around anyway… I didn’t see it there at all! Like Imaginos said, she was able to complete it successfully with a new character but not the existing character. That’s the common cause here, it would seem.

(edited by Satay.2967)

Posted by: Solitaire.3680

Solitaire.3680

My husband also cannot complete this

Posted by: Kalif.4703

Kalif.4703

Hi,

I’ve got the same problem. My character is Norn Warrior. Before the last patch I had L16 and the next quest of the personal story was dedicated for L19 but the “green star” was placed at the map. Also I’ve had the green text information about personal story placed at the top-right corner. After the patch I don’t have nor the “green star” at the map, neither the information at the corner. I’ve reached L19 but the personal story is still unavailable for me. Information about the personal story in the journal is greyed out.

I’ve got a question for all of You: do You belong to any guild? I do and I am wondering if the problem isn’t connected with this because after the patch I’ve received the following e-mail:

“Guilds no longer have world-based chapters or world boundaries. Influence, merits, upgrades and bank items have been merged. We’ve gone ahead and finish building all upgrades in your queue and have refunded duplicates.

-ArenaNet Staff"

So the personal story is not available for guilds members? Of course I could be wrong but I am just looking for the reason why we can’t continue the personal story.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just to make sure….does choosing a different option in the Options panel for ‘Content Guide’ make any difference?

Your choices are: Default, Off, Disable Personal Story, and Hide Events and Personal Story.

Can’t hurt to try to find out what’s bugging this feature.

Good luck.

Oh, and all my characters are in Guilds, and it didn’t make a difference for me, so I don’t think Guild membership affects this.

Kalif.4703

Everything is clear. I’ve somehow missed this information – please look at:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

“As another addition with the level-up guide, we’re updating the personal story steps using our new Story Journal so they come in story chunks that unlock all at once per chapter. When a story chapter is unlocked as a level-up reward, you’ll be able to play straight through the entire chapter from start to finish and not have any awkward starts and stops that throw off the storyline. In this way, story chapters become another big moment to look forward to earning and unlocking as your character levels up.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-September-9-2014

“Personal story steps have been more clearly broken up into chapters that unlock every 10 levels so that each chapter can be played through immediately once it’s unlocked. Players that were already partway through a chapter may find themselves underleveled for any of the story chapters or overleveled for some of the chapter 7 and 8 steps that have moved.”

All we need is gaining new levels in this way we unlock our personal story.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t think that helps players that are, say, Level 26 and can’t access the Level 3 or so PS episode.

Satay.2967

I don’t think that helps players that are, say, Level 26 and can’t access the Level 3 or so PS episode.

…Unless i am stuck at L26 and it will unlock again after i reach L30.

Unfortunately I can’t find the time to play as much as i would like, so it may take me a week or so to reach L30…

Can anyone please tell us if reaching the next level in a multiple of 10 restores the personal story??

Kalif.4703

I am at L19.5 ;-) so should have L20 soon. I will inform You what happens when I gain L20.

Satay.2967

I am at L19.5 ;-) so should have L20 soon. I will inform You what happens when I gain L20.

That would be good, thanks!

Posted by: Juxtadude.2583

Juxtadude.2583

This is also happening to me. I had created a Sylvari necro before the patch, around level 5 or so. After the 9/9 patch I used that character to try out the new features.

Upon hitting level 10 the personal story opened up and I’m stuck at the same place—go talk to Mender Aviala and there is no green star. Now I’m level 13 and still stuck.

Posted by: pieceofmush.1258

pieceofmush.1258

I’m having the same problem too with my Sylvari (made her before the patch). I got her to level 20 today but that doesn’t seem to fix the personal story.. still can’t do the first chapter.

Posted by: Citri.9540

Citri.9540

Having this issue on a Level 10 Norn and submitted a bug report. Any idea if this will be fixed?

in b4 #when it’s ready

hi im citri u can find me twerking on Blackgate or on citriplays.tumblr.com

Posted by: Tapin.6173

Tapin.6173

Also having this issue my char is over lvl 20 so leveling up doesn’t help.

Posted by: Adwila.1392

Adwila.1392

I have the exact same problem.

Never got to do the personal storyline on this character, I’m now level 51 and I can’t complete that quest, thus locking me out of every story chapter.

Sent a couple reports in game aswell, I hope they fix it fast.

Guardianella – Guardian – Team Hyperactive [HYPE]

Posted by: SettusBlake.1689

SettusBlake.1689

I have the same problem/bug and reported it days ago.

SettusBlake.1689

Still buggy and very annoying.

Kalif.4703

I’ve just reached L20 with my Norn Warrior and the next chapter of the personal story is available for me again. I’ve even done it. So, subsequent chapters of the personal story are available when a characters reaches 10, 20, 30, 40 … etc. level since the last patch.

(edited by Kalif.4703)

SettusBlake.1689

reached lvl 30 yesterday. Changed nothing for me.

Posted by: Ayeaka.5610

Ayeaka.5610

I had a Sylvari mesmer that was level 6 that had started but not completed the first bit of story pre-update. Post update, I wound up getting to level 17 via crafting, and headed out to try and do the first chunk of story. (I had talked to her, but not gone past that.)

Update hits, and whereas before I DID have the investigate the troll burrow goal, it’s now back on talking to her, only checked as completed. Same bug as everyone else. Hit 20, no change. Says I unlocked the next leg of the story, but I cannot progress whatsoever as it’s stuck on talking to the mender.

Satay.2967

I had a Sylvari mesmer that was level 6 that had started but not completed the first bit of story pre-update. Post update, I wound up getting to level 17 via crafting, and headed out to try and do the first chunk of story. (I had talked to her, but not gone past that.)

Update hits, and whereas before I DID have the investigate the troll burrow goal, it’s now back on talking to her, only checked as completed. Same bug as everyone else. Hit 20, no change. Says I unlocked the next leg of the story, but I cannot progress whatsoever as it’s stuck on talking to the mender.

…Now that I think about it, I think I also might have started the task pre-update but didn’t complete it. I spoke with Mender but didn’t actually start the Troll Salve instance.

I’m sure they will patch this, but I know that there have been quite a few little things to patch up after the September Feature Pack. Just have to wait for it to turn up in the queue.

Posted by: Oshelia.4610

Oshelia.4610

Got the same issue. My Norn is now level 49 and still can’t access the story. I’ve sent in a support case, got advised to send in a bug report ingame and post in this sub forum which I’d already commented in another post about the problems I’m having with the story. Hope this gets fixed soon. I’ts frustrating not being able to see what that races story is like or get the story rewards as well as not being able to unlock certain traits that are connected to the story unless I decide to buy those traits with gold and skill points later on.

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Imaginos.3756

it’s been moved to the beach between that rocky ledge and shore with water just past the island and before you get to where the trolls stand guard to the troll area. I did it on another character to find out where it was.

It of course doesn’t show up in either location for my stuck character and this patch hasn’t fixed this yet.

Thanks for the info

Posted by: YarrCaptainJuan.7248

YarrCaptainJuan.7248

Please correct this, still didn’t work. I reported it twice with screens today after retrying the instance a couple times.

Posted by: LadyZzala.1034

LadyZzala.1034

I have a level 80 Revenant Sylvari that I completed the HoT story before deciding to do the personal storyline. I cannot proceed with personal story at all. Once in the instance for Awakening, there is the green circle indicating where to investigate. Once you approach and kill the trolls it turns into a green star for the salve. You cannot approach and collect the salve due to an invisible barrier. I remember there being a troll leader to fight in the past before you could collect it. He is not there now. I would really like to get this personal story completed. Looks like this issue has been going on for over a year for people… Please find us a work around.

Posted by: Zeziza.1583

Zeziza.1583

I am having the same problem as LadyZzala. The salve cannot be picked up. It appears to be behind an invisible wall that cannot be looted through for some reason.

Posted by: Kaburro.4712

Kaburro.4712

Same problem as LadyZzala here!

Posted by: Breaker.1526

Breaker.1526

I’m having the same issue. There’s an invisible wall preventing me from picking up the troll salve. Can’t continue the story.

Posted by: DemonXiao.3291

DemonXiao.3291

I have the same problem as LadyZzala, Zeziza, Kaburro and Breaker.

Posted by: DemonXiao.3291

DemonXiao.3291

This bug is fixed for me, thank you staff!

Posted by: Moderator

Hey everyone,

We’re going to close this thread as it had been lying dormant for over a year, and it is a known issue being investigated.