"Awesomium" Crashes Whole Computer

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: ChiYuri.6943

ChiYuri.6943

So since two updates ago, I’ll go to start up my Guild Wars 2 client and it’ll log me on, let me select a character, but when I go to load the area it will crash my whole computer forcing me to restart. I only learned it was linked to “awesomium” when my computer automatically ran chkdsk upon start up. Prior to this, Guild Wars 2 ran without a hitch. I’m not sure what changed, but it’s really ridiculous that I basically can’t play a game I bought.

Chkdsk determined that files associated with “awesomium” (which is very NOT awesome) were corrupted. Here are the ones it listed: awesomium.log, AWESOM~1.log, awesomeium_process.exe, AWESOM~1.exe, AWESOM~1.dll, and awesomium.dll (the rest were other miscellaneous temp and log files).

Again, nothing wrong with my computer. This only happens when I attempt to play this game, and from what I have read online, awesomium may have something to do with the in game store? Either way, it’s awful. I’m not sure what changed two updates ago, but it is ruining my gameplay. Please…. Fix this. Whatever you did to break it, undo it. I’m not the only one who is experiencing this issue.

Guild leader of Existential Sprocket

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Im afraid that, yes it is an issue with your computer. You have data corruption, which what the check disc program is designed to find. Anet cant bug fix a system error on your end.

Look Im not being nasty or trite, but it is a problem with your computer.

Run a repair command on the game files. This will error check all the data and any erroneous files will be replaced with freshly downloaded ones. Instructions on how to do so in the link below;

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28148006-Repairing-the-Game-Client

If that fails to stop the crashing please post in the technical help section with your pc system specs and any related crash dumps from the game.

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

That’s not the game. I was hit by awesomium too. But I caught it in time (I was getting NOTICEABLE lag), and I ran all my various detections – one found something and fixed it, and considering I haven’t had issues since (nor seen the “awesomium” process), I can only assume that all is well with the world. Or at least my computer.

The game’s crashing because that process is eating resources. I have no idea if it has anything malicious beyond that (I am no expert on viruses and malware; I’m pretty much a pure end-user), but that’s enough, by itself, to crash things. And programs that are already resource-intensive – such as modern video games – would be the first to butt heads with it.

Seriously, though. A name like awesomium? No self-respecting legitimate process would be named that.

I do not know if you’ll actually need to repair the client – like I said, I took care of the problem before it became a REAL problem – but get rid of this, first. Then try the game. (Worst case scenario, you may have to restore the client from scratch.)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Without awesomium.exe, you can not access the TP. It is the program that runs the Trading Post.

Posted by: ChiYuri.6943

ChiYuri.6943

Im afraid that, yes it is an issue with your computer. You have data corruption, which what the check disc program is designed to find. Anet cant bug fix a system error on your end.

Look Im not being nasty or trite, but it is a problem with your computer.

Run a repair command on the game files. This will error check all the data and any erroneous files will be replaced with freshly downloaded ones. Instructions on how to do so in the link below;

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28148006-Repairing-the-Game-Client

If that fails to stop the crashing please post in the technical help section with your pc system specs and any related crash dumps from the game.

So I tried running the repair, but the same thing happens. It crashes. As always, it will be okay for like maybe a few minutes, but then will suddenly crash the whole computer without warning. So what specs do they need exactly (HD space, RAM, processor, etc?) and also where would I find the crash dump info? Or do you just mean stating what the issue is?

Guild leader of Existential Sprocket

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I strongly recommend creating a support ticket. The forums are good for reporting a general issue or for receiving generalized advice, but when you want timely assistance, the support team can help you troubleshoot what’s going on with your PC/game.

Given the season, they might take a bit longer to reply with specifics right now, but they have been very successful helping people resolve issues with the TP and/or the awesomium client.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”