BROKEN: Emote Double Name & Range

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Bahati.5914

Bahati.5914

Hello! I don’t know if this has hit your radar yet but custom emotes are in a silly state right now. The range is still massive (instead of being closer to the /say range, which no one benefits from) and currently if you custom emote it turns into:

Billy Bob: Billy Bob does a custom emote.

Most preferable would be to keep the first name selective as it is currently in game, but to get rid of the : and double name all together. If that’s impossible to do, I think

Billy Bob: does some custom emotes.

would be the best.

(And please adjust emote range to /say range size! Emote range is massive and contributes to a lot of angry RPers, PvPers and PvErs who feel spammed!)

Posted by: Iona.6307

Iona.6307

Seconded to just about all of the above.

Posted by: prince.3681

prince.3681

I’d really like to see this fixed. Thank you.

Posted by: Iludhra.3085

Iludhra.3085

Yeah, the way emotes are set up currently is really sloppy looking, and even moreso, lacking in the functionality I think people actually desire: being able to block someone who is spamming. If I /cheer, and it’s untargetted, my name in the emote is not able to be interacted with. It’s great that if someone is customising or targetting an emote I can interact with them, but there’s still a huge problem here waiting to be addressed.

Also, please, yes. The range on emotes is just unnecessarily large and it’d be grand to see this adjusted.

(edited by Iludhra.3085)

Posted by: Slacknaut.2693

Slacknaut.2693

Agreed, please fix this.

Posted by: SaccharineBliss.1975

SaccharineBliss.1975

Yes, please, please, please fix this because at the moment there is almost no difference functionally between using the /say command over the /emote command except that the /emote command has about the worst color text you could possibly devise, making it completely obsolete. (plus it annoyingly states your name twice, as mentioned xD)

Bahati.5914

Yeah, the way emotes are set up currently is really sloppy looking, and even moreso, lacking in the functionality I think people actually desire: being able to block someone who is spamming. If I /cheer, and it’s untargetted, my name in the emote is not able to be interacted with. It’s great that if someone is customising or targetting an emote I can interact with them, but there’s still a huge problem here waiting to be addressed.

Also, please, yes. The range on emotes is just unnecessarily large and it’d be grand to see this adjusted.

You summed it up beautifully. The fact that you still can’t target regular emotes is kind of a problem since most people spam that.

Posted by: Pluften.7026

Pluften.7026

I can confirm the bug, and I bring screenshot evidence from the RP community.

Attachments:

Xeyia Meadows@Piken Square

Bahati.5914

The emote chat/channel IS a pretty terrible color at the moment. I know several color blind people who struggle with it. But that’s kind of a moot point all together, I think if they did what they did with combat log to regular chat (ie: different colors, vibrant, names have different colors based on class or whatever) it’d be a lot easier to read.

Posted by: Zagzag.7901

Zagzag.7901

Agreed, having the names show up twice is very annoying for RPers. Being able to click the names is certainly a new feature, but it doesn’t make up for the fact that say and emote are pretty much the same now.

Posted by: Delta.4831

Delta.4831

I don’t really mind the range of emotes. It’s things like /dance and /wave that the range could be shortened on. It makes sense that you would be able to see an action despite not being able to hear spoken words, so /say and /me are fine as they are if you ask me.

But the double name thing is a really annoying bug and I hope it’s fixed soon. People with long names take up half the chat panel with their names pasted there twice per emote. Who’d think that was a good or even slightly intuitive idea?

(edited by Delta.4831)

Bahati.5914

I don’t really mind the range of emotes. It’s things like /dance and /wave that the range could be shortened on. It doesn’t make sense that you wouldn’t be able to see an action despite not being able to hear spoken words, so /say and /me are fine as they are if you ask me.

But the double name thing is a really annoying bug and I hope it’s fixed soon. People with long names take up half the chat panel with their names pasted there twice per emote. Who’d think that was a good or even slightly intuitive idea?

Except PvP and PvErs get very frustrated when they run into RPers and have to hear nothing but blocks of text when they aren’t standing anywhere near them. This isn’t just a RP problem, it’s a problem for all players. Getting emote range in line with say range would be agreeable to all, probably.

And for the record, most of the time when I hear someone’s emote I don’t even know where they are. So why would someone’s chin scratching emote matter to me when I’m half a mile away?

Posted by: chalkjuice.2736

chalkjuice.2736

You’re right on both counts, but the doubling is a more pressing issue than the range.

Posted by: belugachef.9654

belugachef.9654

Yes, please modify/repair this. It’s very clunky and I know you guys are trying to polish things in this patch.

Posted by: GamerOnline.3650

GamerOnline.3650

If viewing emotes bothers some folks, they can simply be turned off in chat.

1. Click on the talk bubble icon next to the chat input to enable the chat panel.
2. On the Main tab, click on the drop down arrow next to the title.
3. Un-check the Emotes box.

This should, in theory, disable the display of all emotes in the Main chat tab and should work the same for other tabs.

Farm responsibly, for you are not alone. Share the love, not the hate.
Support your local environmentally friendly farmers.
Asuran Mesmer Mind Tricks: “These aren’t the golems you’re looking for.”

Iludhra.3085

We’re not interested in not viewing emotes. We’re interested in using them to emote actions and not being spammed by people trolling RP

Posted by: daysleeper.6309

daysleeper.6309

Whatever they did to emotes, they look REALLY sloppy now. A fix would definitely be appreciated!

Posted by: Morsheira.6102

Morsheira.6102

I agree as well. I would much rather see the custom emote in /say format than having to deal with the name twice. Other large MMO’s have made it possible to both ignore people and not clutter up the chat with double naming, why can we not have that here? Please find some way to fix this, the RP community is begging for this one.

Posted by: prince.3681

prince.3681

I agree as well. I would much rather see the custom emote in /say format than having to deal with the name twice. Other large MMO’s have made it possible to both ignore people and not clutter up the chat with double naming, why can we not have that here? Please find some way to fix this, the RP community is begging for this one.

Yeah, it’s never been a problem in any other MMO I’ve played. This is really strange and confusing. It’s certainly made playing in the ways I enjoy way more difficult.

Posted by: Darmikau.9413

Darmikau.9413

I think this was added as a functionality to ignore emote (ignoring players now ignores their emotes, too)

However, it’s terribly clunk and needs to be fixed. It needs to look like the old system (Player Name emotes) or, if it can’t, it needs to remove the extra instance of the player name so it looks like (Player Name: emotes). The current version of (Player Name: Player Name emotes) is incredibly awkward and bothersome.

Bahati.5914

Let’s just hope this doesn’t get brushed under the rug.

If they’re not going to speak on it in this thread, just start talking to them on twitter and reddit.

Morsheira.6102

I fear it will be brushed under the rug. The devs will likely just sit there and give a generic ‘works as intended’ response and ignore the rest of us. RPers sadly are in this MMO and many others treated as second class players and though that comment will likely be met with some amount of outcry it is true. We are a smaller base than the PvEers or the PvPers but we are still a decent sized base. However that is digression into another issue. Point is if it were something that caused the large PvP base to complain or those in dungeons it would be acted upon immediately, but as it only affects RPers…. eh they’ll ignore it.

daysleeper.6309

They can’t really ignore it if we effectively band together and make our voices heard; the problem is that RP communities tend to fracture and not unite around any singular cause/website/group/et cetera.

I really can’t imagine the double-name thing would be difficult to fix. The other changes (to the color, and the range) would be gravy, but the duplication seriously just looks like hot garbage.

Morsheira.6102

While we’re at it perhaps we can get them to change the inactivity timer to be disabled by text as well winks May as well throw that request in there while we’re waiving our arms crying “RPers Exist! Please Help Us!”

But in all seriousness, there is no reason that the custom emote system needs to be so redundant.

(edited by Morsheira.6102)

Bahati.5914

Yeah, agreed with all of you. The double name is pretty terrible but if they’re going to go in and fix it I would assume something like range would be kind of easy? I don’t know.

Anyway, we definitely need to hit them up on twitter, too.

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

I totally agree with everything stated in the OP. I just logged in a couple of hours ago and was intent on starting a roleplay session with my guild, but this new way of displaying the custom emotes is really making it hard to focus, and it’s breaking the immersion a bit. And as stated above, the range really does need to be toned down a bit.

Honestly a better fix would be to change the emote text color while still keeping the name click-able, that way the text is easier to read AND you can block annoying trolls. Other MMOs have done it so much better, why not Guild Wars 2?

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

(edited by MrWubzy.3587)

daysleeper.6309

The weird thing to me has always been that you couldn’t choose custom colors for chat channels. I’ve never played a single MMO aside from GW2 where that wasn’t a thing. That’s neither here nor there, though… The grey-on-dark (or transparent) background thing is not great, but it is not my biggest issue. The awkward double-name thing is.

Morsheira.6102

There are several areas where this game is lacking in comparison to others. The unusable furniture, huge distances between your character and inanimate objects, the armor clipping… the list goes on. But really the text thing, being so basic and simple, I just cannot understand why it is an issue and nowhere near comparable to other MMO’s. Don’t get me wrong, Anet has done many amazing things with this game, but many things really seem rudimentary that have been completely overlooked.

And with the constant additions to MMO selection, to remain even a viable play option, they need to strive to remain at least on par.
So Dev team, listen up, Fix this text. You’ll only be benefiting yourselves.

Morsheira.6102

Going to just give this a little nudge back to front an centre. Apologies for the annoyance to anyone reading the whole way down.

Bahati.5914

Thank you Morsheira! I will try to continue to do the same.

Posted by: Knil.5267

Knil.5267

Here’s hoping they fix this and soon!

Posted by: eyenigma.6273

eyenigma.6273

I don’t see how this design change improves the chat box at all. Wishing for better range and recognition is a far shot, but please remove the double posted character names from the /em command. It looks ridiculous and is very hard to read.

Posted by: DutchError.7039

DutchError.7039

This was a balanced update. They made the Trading Post look better, they had to make another look worse. In this case, they chose emotes to look worse.

Joking aside, please fix this. :<

Derp

Posted by: Dagny.5179

Dagny.5179

Signed. Please fix this.

Bahati.5914

I don’t think RPers are asking for TOO MUCH by requesting that, when Anet goes in to fix this, they decrease the emote range down closer to the say range. We’re a very loyal community and we love our gem store purchases like crazy. We don’t get much and we don’t really ask for much. Fixing the double name with the emote range would be super cool is all.

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

We’ve been asking for the emote range to get fixed since Beta… I’m not holding my breath.

But at least revert to the not-borked version of adding emotes to the chat stream.

I hope this was a (clearly untested) attempt to make the name presented by an emote right-clickable, and it will be ‘working as requested’, rather than ‘working as written’, soon.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Seconded, this is an annoying bug.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Leon Mousy.6238

Leon Mousy.6238

Signed.

Hope this gets fixed soon…it looks like you’re talking in some weird third person.

Posted by: Rhea.9836

Rhea.9836

Intentional or not, this sadly makes for very awkward RP.
Please can this be resolved.

Posted by: Lhetander.3069

Lhetander.3069

This probably has something to do with the bug they corrected that people you had ignored were still able to reach you through the emote channel.

I sincerely hope this gets corrected ASAP.

Posted by: Cale.7324

Cale.7324

I honestly don’t see how the emote changes enrich the game in any way, or make anything easier. I sincerely hope it’s unintentional. Please fix this, I enjoyed the emotes the way they were, though I wish the character limit on sentences was increased.

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

If they want to make a clear distinction between /em and other emotes, it would be better to just change the color of the name (white or light grey)

white pseudo / gray emote

It could be also usefull to roleplayers because they could do “/em The innkeeper grab the coins.” The color change will help doing this kind of emote.

Iludhra.3085

There are people on the Guild Wars 2 Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2) offering feedback on the emote changes via commentary on the post announcing the Feature Pack being live. I encourage you all to post there, as well as to nudge at the GW2 Twitter account (http://twitter.com/GuildWars2) to help encourage a change. As has been mentioned above, it’s the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, and this is just such a bafflingly terrible change to quality of play that it really needs to be remedied.

daysleeper.6309

Good idea; I’ve sent them a tweet and posted on the facebook page, as well. Maybe I’ll throw another post on 2rp suggesting others do likewise. Maybe also I’ll tweet at them again later, during business hours (ArenaNet are west-coast based, right?). Roleplayers get so little recognition to begin with, but this is just so blatantly bad.

Posted by: Merrigan.5021

Merrigan.5021

This is very frustrating. Please fix!

Posted by: AgentChaos.4932

AgentChaos.4932

Please fix.

Roleplayer.

Posted by: Inay.9865

Inay.9865

Agreed. The double-name emote is really ugly.

Posted by: NewtonCrosbyPhD.4395

NewtonCrosbyPhD.4395

/Signed. I realise this change may well have been brought in to help RPers block jackholes who spam insults at us and such, but it doesn’t really help stop them hampering our play experience since they can still spam /dance et al. to clog chat, and it does make our experience more stilted and less enjoyable. If it is an intrinsic aspect of the game’s chat module that clickable names have to appear in the /s [Name]: format, a simple (if imperfect) solution would be to remove the duplicated name, and keep the colon, and introduce the same format to the stock /surprised etc. emotes. That would facilitate the blocking functionality while being far less awkward/unenjoyable.

daysleeper.6309

At the moment I’ve begun doing all my emotes in /say, which is an awkward solution but it solves all three problems: it’s easier to read, it doesn’t double my name, and it doesn’t have the world’s biggest visibility range. I would love for ANet to give us a better answer to the emote situation than this, though. Can we at least get a response confirming you guys are aware of the problem, please?

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

I don’t RP in this game, although I have RPed in others games, but I also think this change looks awkward and awful. It’s nonsense to have “CharacterName:” in an emote. Maybe making it as the new combat logs are would look good. Something like “CharacterName salutes.” where CharacterName is a clickable link but without brackets, if possible. And yeah, second in making a lower range for emotes.