[BUG] Meeting the Asura [Merged]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: The Nolander.2967

The Nolander.2967

Let me tell you a little thing about coding games. Fixing a broken code for colour is a hell of a lot easier than fixing a code for interactivity. That does -not- mean the fix isn’t being worked on. How many of you have ever poured over line after line of coding to find the specific change or error responsible. It takes time to locate and even more to create a change that won’t negatively impact something else. Take a breath and chill.

I can see why finding the cause of the bug could potentially take time, but I cannot see why they could not provide some kind of workaround in the meantime to at least let people progress while they delve into the root cause of the issue. It’d be the decent thing to do if you care about your players or your reputation.

Posted by: Singarti.5862

Singarti.5862

(snip)

Just stop. It’s not even 3 weeks old yet.
Let me tell you a little thing about coding games. Fixing a broken code for colour is a hell of a lot easier than fixing a code for interactivity. That does -not- mean the fix isn’t being worked on. How many of you have ever poured over line after line of coding to find the specific change or error responsible. It takes time to locate and even more to create a change that won’t negatively impact something else. Take a breath and chill.

(snip)

Bottom line is just breathe. Fixing a bug in a program isn’t as simple as replacing a part in a car. It just isn’t.

(snip)

I’m sorry, did I understand you correctly that:
1. having a bug that is critical to story progression and that is COMPLETELY BLOCKING players from experiencing the story for “not even 3 weeks” is acceptable?
2. almost 3 weeks is not enough time for an established game dev studio to go through the code tied to this issues and fix it in a timely manner?

I can understand a week. A week and a half, at most. However, so far, there has been absolutely no response or action from Arena Net apart from acknowledging that this bug exists and that it was placed on the bottom of a to-do list more than a week ago.

I know a thing or two about patience. Are you familiar with a game called Wildstar? That MMORPG has had its long-promised 3rd raid instance delayed for over a year and I, along with other people who still play it, have been patiently waiting for it ever since.

You are correct, there are different types of content in games of the MMORPG genre but when a game praises itself for having such a deep and gripping story that it is purchaseable in the cash shop and playing through this added content is required for you to understand the story of the expansion, this content must work, must be functional and any issues that cause its performance failures must be dealt with as a matter of high priority.

The way I see it, my position as a paying customer here is completely justified so let a Charr have his tantrum after waiting patiently for quite a while by now for a bug hotfix or at least some response/update from an Arena Net representative.

Posted by: Emperor Ramzort.8043

Emperor Ramzort.8043

Let me tell you a little thing about coding games. Fixing a broken code for colour is a hell of a lot easier than fixing a code for interactivity. That does -not- mean the fix isn’t being worked on. How many of you have ever poured over line after line of coding to find the specific change or error responsible. It takes time to locate and even more to create a change that won’t negatively impact something else.

(raises hand) I have. And I can tell you that if a software bug that was impacting our customer’s ability to use our paid software (as many of these complaints are from folks who bought this from the gem store), it would not take us two weeks to resolve. It would be given top priority over new features and upgrades we would be adding to software.

For most people this would make sense, even if they aren’t familiar with IT processes. Fix what is broken before adding new things. I think the complaints are warranted especially given that after two weeks ANet decided to push gem store upgrades rather than giving us a fix or even giving us a suitable response to when this might be fixed.

Posted by: Morsheira.6102

Morsheira.6102

Workarounds are not always possible depending on the problem. If there were a way to activate the knocking out of the guard a different way, the bug likely would be fixed by now. The only other option is outright skipping this part of the story in the meantime which would cause further complaints by skipping a rather pertinent section of the lore.

When you go to knock out the mob it throws you into combat and that is why it does not work as due to the mechanics of the instance being in combat means you cannot knock things out. So even if you skipped this mob you would run into the same error at the final boss (as you can kill all the other mobs needs be).

As for it blocking progress I am very much aware, but really. Would you rather a rushed fix be done to get people playing right away that potentially breaks something somewhere else? Or is it not better to give the time for a proper fix. We as consumers do not know the back end of what is happening. And yes, it can look a certain way from where we stand, but were we not all taught as children to consider both sides of a story before passing judgement?

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

Got a response on Reddit

[–]GM_Awesomeness 5 points an hour ago

They’re being actively worked on. Once our tools are back up, I’ll be updating the Known Issue Tracker and putting this bug into “verifying” status, meaning we think we’ve found a fix and are testing it.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

The Nolander.2967

Thanks for the update, that’s something at least. I just hope they’re not planning to sit on the fix for two weeks until the next scheduled patch.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

If they let it till now, i doubt we will see it fixed anytime soon.

Who cares if it is paid content? As long they continue adding patches focused on adding new gem-store content, who needs a working game when we have bunny ears?

I’m seriously disappointed how can they act like this, and then they act here on the forum like it is too much for us to ask for prioritization of game-breaking bugs, like we don’t have the right to be angry about PAID CONTENT, not being able to be finished by ANY player of this game.

Angry, just ANGRY! One things is bugs to happen, another is the poor attitudes from ANet’s on this forum towards the community.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Morsheira.6102

Morsheira.6102

You do realize that game development companies are often Heavily compartmentalized? There is a high chance that those involved in the forums do not have access to all the details on specific subjects. That is why there is often no response or just a vague and general one, and why we often see Dev updates outside of the official channels on sites like reddit. Those who are assigned to respond on forums do not want to give misinformation about a subject and those who are in the know share outside of official forums.

Is it a perfect System? Far from it. But minimal to no Communication doesn’t necessarily mean the matter isn’t being worked in.

As I stated before, things sometimes take time and I would rather a bug be fixed right than to have a ‘fix’ break something else.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

As I stated before, things sometimes take time and I would rather a bug be fixed right than to have a ‘fix’ break something else.

This is Anet we’re talking about. They can’t fix something without breaking something else.

Check the patch notes for almost every patch ever done in this game. They have a history of it. Something can’t be fixed without something else going kaput in its place.

They’ll fix this, something else will go bonkers. Trust me.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Cmonn.4179

Cmonn.4179

I waiting one week but still dont fixed.

The Nolander.2967

After the last patch it works. It’s nice to see that the issue wasn’t ignored even if it took them pretty long to resolve it.

Posted by: Tetro.8021

Tetro.8021

I just was able to knock that kitten guard down, it seems like the latest patch fixed it for me.
I was scared, the first time I restarted the game I still had the problem, but then there was another build released just a few minutes afterwards and this time was the charm.
FINALLY.
I guess I should say thank you Anet ?

Edit: I have yet to confirm that the bug on episode 8 was fixed as well, but it would be surprising if not.

(edited by Tetro.8021)

Posted by: Matt Dragontamer.3506

Matt Dragontamer.3506

Thank you for finally fixing the bug.

Posted by: Singarti.5862

Singarti.5862

Thank you, Arena Net, for fixing these story bugs.

Posted by: Vardok.8609

Vardok.8609

Thank you for the fix!

Posted by: Azut.8405

Azut.8405

Thank you ANet for fixing the bug!

Posted by: Rapta.1452

Rapta.1452

You do realize that game development companies are often Heavily compartmentalized? There is a high chance that those involved in the forums do not have access to all the details on specific subjects. That is why there is often no response or just a vague and general one, and why we often see Dev updates outside of the official channels on sites like reddit. Those who are assigned to respond on forums do not want to give misinformation about a subject and those who are in the know share outside of official forums.

Is it a perfect System? Far from it. But minimal to no Communication doesn’t necessarily mean the matter isn’t being worked in.

You do realize how silly this sounds, right? This is essentially a paid DLC that is being sold my ANet explicitly for money… and don’t make the argument that this is purchasable with Gems, because this is 1800 gems’ worth — hardly a reasonable amount for 99% of players to save enough gold for.

And not only that — you could make the argument that in GW2, there’s other things to do, but in this case, it’s particularly insidious. Players paid money explicitly to play this content.

Let me draw an analogy for you: suppose that you paid money to watch a movie at the local theater, and halfway through the movie, the movie cuts off. The theater management decide that instead of giving people refunds, or even try to fix the issue and give you some form of compensation, they kick you all out, and tell you come back in two weeks. Do you think this is acceptable? Would it not be understandable for the entire audience to be upset?

Only in this case, we have thousands of players affected, at a higher price point, where there is no face-to-face contact with any of the operators.

Now, back to this matter — I work at a software firm. It is standard practice, when a breaking change is pushed out, for it to be either rolled back, or be prepared to face long after-hours work to fix the issue ASAP. In this case, neither was done, and furthermore, ANet decides to push new items into the cash shop to entice more players to spend their money. Oh, and let’s take a trip to GDC and advertise our fantastic world of “iterative MMO development at scale”.

Again, how is this acceptable business practice?

Posted by: BluSpectre.2670

BluSpectre.2670

Yay! Lesson learned my kittens, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Skritt IQ TestSubject: No it not possible! If you read my mind what you see there hmm? What you see?
Shadekeeper Alé: Shinies.
Skritt IQ Test Subject: (gasp) you read miiiinds!

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

That is really unacceptable. Those of us that are complaining about this bug are not free to play, we are the type of players that pay the bills at anet. We are the reason that they have a gem store, we support what they develop for the entire gaming community, some of them that don’t pay. You are excusing bad business practices. Please don’t tell me that the pee I feel running down my back is rain, because I tootin’ know well what the difference is. I don’t read reddit. Why should I have to read reddit because I purchased a game from anet? If there is something wrong with their product they need to communicate to the players through their website, not by commenting in places that some of us will never see. It is disrespectful to us.

I am standing by what I wrote earlier, anet gets zero more of my real world dollars until they address this in some way. It is sad that the bar is so low we can’t even expect an apology. The one communication on this thread was SNARKY, as if we did something wrong by expecting someone to address our problem with their product. I well know that I will probably never get an apology for all of the time that they wasted, as if my time is free, so that means I won’t spend another friggin’ dime here. If I make any purchases it will be with game gold. I am positive I am not the only person that feels this way, something that they teach you in basic business – only a small percentage of people complain when something is wrong with your service or product. The rest just pack up their marbles and go somewhere else. What you see commenting here is the tip of the iceberg.

Posted by: LuxAeterna.4621

LuxAeterna.4621

It works now. Thanks for the patch!

Posted by: PeterJ.1053

PeterJ.1053

Alright, normally I stay out of the kitten fits but I feel inclined to say something.

To the people claiming this bug is a year old;

No. It isn’t. Just stop. It’s not even 3 weeks old yet. Chill out.

To the people witching about the colour being fixed first:

General note to all being negative complainers;

Half of what you’re complaining of has been stated and spoken about earlier in the thread. Please read back before going back in the same circle (this goes especially to people claiming this bug is a year old. Yeashka)

Bottom line is just breathe. Fixing a bug in a program isn’t as simple as replacing a part in a car. It just isn’t.

There is plenty still to do in game, complete some achievements. Do some of the events in other map zones (there is lore and story there if you actually read) or just find a Guild and start playing with other people. Really, not a crisis situation.

Signed
- A far more patient person waiting on a fix

First of all, Dude, 3 weeks for an instanced quest bug… It could have been re-scripted ground up in these 3 weeks.

Second, there’s plenty of stuff to do in game, but some people want to dig into the story. Main Story, then S2, then HoT. I ended up skipping to HoT, so the story is a little spoiled. Imagine watching a show first S1 then S4, then S2…

Third, bugged pay-walled shouldn’t exist on the Gem Store at all until it’s fixed.

I’m not sure how this bug occurred, but “cut corners until something gives in” approach GW2 team has really grinds my gears, and I get it, you’re defending ANet, I want to cut them some slack, but bugs in other games, even from smaller teams, get sorted out quicker than this, and don’t give me that “it’s slow because it’s free to play” bull. People buy gem cards, people bought the core game, people bought the HoT expansion. There’s not a single thing that can excuse sluggish performance…

Posted by: PeterJ.1053

PeterJ.1053

It works now. Thanks for the patch!

Finally!!!

Posted by: FlyingCrackers.5620

FlyingCrackers.5620

I gave up hope and didn’t check today. Glad they fixed it.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Just checked, and indeed, it had been finally fixed!

Posted by: luminathor.2839

luminathor.2839

This is the internet. Patience gets you nowhere. Patient people get left behind. Want action? Be as loud as possible, as often as possible.

It’s tragic, really – the only way to get results is through shame and rage.

Posted by: Rasfar.6921

Rasfar.6921

I was waiting for this fix. Would have been nice to include this in patch notes…

Edit: Seems like I missed this “Fixed a bug that blocked progression on some story steps.”. Could have been more specific but my bad.

(edited by Rasfar.6921)

Posted by: Sazukikrah.5036

Sazukikrah.5036

You know what they need to fix on ASURA?! The Axe Auto Attack on Asura Warrior while moving.. IT looks so buggy and clunky and hard to look at.

Hadi the Edgemaster – Pro level Warrior (Youtube Hadi the Edgemaster)
Black Gate Tier 1 Roamer
Harbinger " I will make you (QQ)"

Posted by: Hierofantus.3250

Hierofantus.3250

Bump. This thing is still bugged. Did it at least 10 times now with someone in different ways and I can’t progress. Anet?