[BUG] Right Click attack and target

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: salameri.3768

salameri.3768

Fix please. Works for everything but the actual player!

Saad Swordrage (Warrior Main), Joker Deceptor (Mesmer) Guild-The Betrayed, Server- DRAGONBRAND

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

On it! Expect a hotfix tomorrow.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

salameri.3768

Thank you for quick reply Evan

Saad Swordrage (Warrior Main), Joker Deceptor (Mesmer) Guild-The Betrayed, Server- DRAGONBRAND

Posted by: Muramasma.1570

Muramasma.1570

Impressive, I’ll even hold my breath.

Drekbury – Anvil Rock

Ele / Warrior / Guardian

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

Can someone please clone us 10 Evans?

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I think right clicking someone shouldn’t even target them at all, it should be used as moving the camera only. Very annoying when I move camera and all of a sudden im targeting something completely different.

If I want to target something, I press TAB or left click, none of this right click bullkitten.

Posted by: citizankane.5723

citizankane.5723

I think right clicking someone shouldn’t even target them at all, it should be used as moving the camera only. Very annoying when I move camera and all of a sudden im targeting something completely different.

If I want to target something, I press TAB or left click, none of this right click bullkitten.

I agree, I thought they was gonna try to do away with this?

Posted by: Hanzo.9624

Hanzo.9624

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

I was hoping this meant the game was bugged and you couldn’t target enemies with right-click anymore, I was about to beg Evan to ‘forget’ about fixing it.

Sadly, it’s not true. Please ANet, give us an option to turn off right-click targeting. I’d like to be able to swivel my view while PvPing without losing my target. Thanks.

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

Fighting with Mesmer or Minions Necro are a nightmare with this Tab Click method but right click target is the worst. You should lock on the target, no matter which button u click, the target still has to be locked on, except press Tab for changing targets.

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Wait, there’s a thread with over 16000 views, and more than 500 responses about this issue, that has been ignored for 9 kitten months? One posting in the PvP section (you know, the least number of players in the bloody game?) and it get attention? And it’s the wrong frigging thing?

There are literally tens of thousands of players who want right click to target to be disabled, and one pvp player points out that it sometimes doesn’t target, and they’re fixing that?

Yeah, I give up – uninstalling. You guys make AE look GOOD.

Stealth.9324

Wait, there’s a thread with over 16000 views, and more than 500 responses about this issue, that has been ignored for 9 kitten months? One posting in the PvP section (you know, the least number of players in the bloody game?) and it get attention? And it’s the wrong frigging thing?

There are literally tens of thousands of players who want right click to target to be disabled, and one pvp player points out that it sometimes doesn’t target, and they’re fixing that?

Hope not to see you again..You are not gonna be missed. One attention from Devs is still WAY better than none…

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Whatever you do, DON’T revert this. Disable right clicking for target selection, PLEASE.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

Hope not to see you again..You are not gonna be missed. One attention from Devs is still WAY better than none…

And you wonder why GW2 isn’t popular.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I am sure that they will make a toggle for right click targeting and hopefully improve on the controls and targeting as a whole.
The fact that the issue is being looked at should be positive and hopefully the right choices will be made.
Too many people have complained about the problem and it is easily replicated by the devs.
Looking forward to that toggle fix so I can use my Mesmer without going insane in zergs.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

stale.9785

Lol, since I have, undoubtedly, put more cash into Anet than any 3 other people you can name (At this point I’m just shy of $4000) I’m certain that I will be missed over time.

FWIW, if they were paying attention to how many players have disappeared over their lackluster response to customer concerns, things would change. They don’t care, or not enough, so nothing changes.

I came to GW2 with an entire alliance (almost 600 people) from GW1. A good chunk of that $4000 (actually $3900 and a bit) was buying accounts for people. (One for my wife, one for myself, 18 for guildies/friends.) Of the people who came to GW2 with me, exactly 5 of us still play, counting myself.

Each of us left because of game breaking bugs (such as the one they’re promising to keep broken here) or broken promises from the dev team.

Stealth, keep stroking your kitten man, I’m sure it feels good from behind a keyboard.

Peace, eh?

Stale

Posted by: Psychogene.6780

Psychogene.6780

I am sure that they will make a toggle for right click targeting and hopefully improve on the controls and targeting as a whole.
The fact that the issue is being looked at should be positive and hopefully the right choices will be made.
Too many people have complained about the problem and it is easily replicated by the devs.
Looking forward to that toggle fix so I can use my Mesmer without going insane in zergs

Yep I hope they give us the option to either use right click targetting or not. When it comes to control options, the more options the better as everyone has a different preference and it should not be up to one person to tell us that one button configuration is better then the other. What causes problems though is when theres only one given option and then that changes, it divides people.

I would like to see better targetting options, considering that stealth makes you have to reapply your target (and locked target) and tab targetting makes you have to go through the multitude of npc’s that are in the map. In a game like this, where every second counts in pvp, sometimes choosing a real target (that is a person and not npc) is difficult, especially in tight capture points and especially if there is ALOT of npc’s in the picture. Not to mention when you actually have say a mesmer or thief targetted, they happen to stealth and the process begins again.

This is not so bad when the game is played at ranged distance, but for melee’s its an absolute nightmare.

Stealth.9324

Lol, since I have, undoubtedly, put more cash into Anet than any 3 other people you can name (At this point I’m just shy of $4000) I’m certain that I will be missed over time.

FWIW, if they were paying attention to how many players have disappeared over their lackluster response to customer concerns, things would change. They don’t care, or not enough, so nothing changes.

I came to GW2 with an entire alliance (almost 600 people) from GW1. A good chunk of that $4000 (actually $3900 and a bit) was buying accounts for people. (One for my wife, one for myself, 18 for guildies/friends.) Of the people who came to GW2 with me, exactly 5 of us still play, counting myself.

Each of us left because of game breaking bugs (such as the one they’re promising to keep broken here) or broken promises from the dev team.

Stealth, keep stroking your kitten man, I’m sure it feels good from behind a keyboard.

Peace, eh?

Stale

I am not trying to be a keyboard hero. If u want to leave, just leave, no need to make such a big deal of it like “I am uninstalling, I spent over 4k in game,blah blah blah…” Sorry, while I understand your frustrated about bugs and some others thing, since Gw2 is not a fee to play MMO, you can leave anytime you like, come back anytime you wish. Just because your opinion or whatever bugs you are talking about were not get attention of the Devs,so you kitten over it??? Say stuff like “I will be missed over time just because i spent 4k on the games” simply show your thinking as in " I spent a lot of money,so I am the King…" “Be a player,don’t be a quitter or a hater”

Posted by: ExaFlare.1390

ExaFlare.1390

On it! Expect a hotfix tomorrow.

What? No!
Right click should be camera ONLY, many people are complaining about this and now that this is gone you want to put it back? Please don’t.

AT LEAST give us an option to remove it

Server : Vizunah Square [FR]
Chars : Exa Flare | Exaflare | Aurora Wall | Aurora Sword | Azure Flame God

stale.9785

I am not trying to be a keyboard hero. If u want to leave, just leave, no need to make such a big deal of it like “I am uninstalling, I spent over 4k in game,blah blah blah…” Sorry, while I understand your frustrated about bugs and some others thing, since Gw2 is not a fee to play MMO, you can leave anytime you like, come back anytime you wish. Just because your opinion or whatever bugs you are talking about were not get attention of the Devs,so you kitten over it??? Say stuff like “I will be missed over time just because i spent 4k on the games” simply show your thinking as in " I spent a lot of money,so I am the King…" “Be a player,don’t be a quitter or a hater”

Thing is, my man, I want to love this game. The only reason I point out my expenditure is the simple truth that if they lose all the players like me, they’re sunk.

As an individual, my contribution earns me nothing, I’m well aware of this. They have alienated at least 600 customers, to my certain knowledge. These are people who have been paying customers for the best part of a decade. These are people who will never spend a dime on an Anet product again.

I’m not quite at that level, but I’ve certainly lost any incentive I had to continue to fund something where the voice of the consumer is ignored. The thread I mentioned earlier has more than 16000 views. This is, for many, a game breaking issue, and it’s gone unresolved for months. Finally, a bug happened with an update that partially fixed the issue. Think about the irony here – a bug fixed a game-breaking issue that has been ignored by the devs for at least 9 months.

Now we have a dev promising to re-instate the bug.

The only reason I posted here (other than no little outrage that they’re this blind) is to push home, in a thread I can be reasonably certain a dev may look at, how dissapointed many of us are over the complete refusal to acknowledge outstanding bugs that have been in the game since Beta.

Anywho, carry on

Stale

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Thing is, my man, I want to love this game. The only reason I point out my expenditure is the simple truth that if they lose all the players like me, they’re sunk.

As an individual, my contribution earns me nothing, I’m well aware of this. They have alienated at least 600 customers, to my certain knowledge. These are people who have been paying customers for the best part of a decade. These are people who will never spend a dime on an Anet product again.

I’m not quite at that level, but I’ve certainly lost any incentive I had to continue to fund something where the voice of the consumer is ignored. The thread I mentioned earlier has more than 16000 views. This is, for many, a game breaking issue, and it’s gone unresolved for months. Finally, a bug happened with an update that partially fixed the issue. Think about the irony here – a bug fixed a game-breaking issue that has been ignored by the devs for at least 9 months.

Now we have a dev promising to re-instate the bug.

The only reason I posted here (other than no little outrage that they’re this blind) is to push home, in a thread I can be reasonably certain a dev may look at, how dissapointed many of us are over the complete refusal to acknowledge outstanding bugs that have been in the game since Beta.

Anywho, carry on

Stale

This is, likewise, the reason I, at least, haven’t put a single penny into buying Gems – they don’t fix the problems that’ve existed or seem to know they exist unless they’re posted about in the sPvP boards.

I fully expect this post to be removed; I just hope that whoever does the removing mentions the points made to people who can do something about it.

Posted by: Dexlmentia.7391

Dexlmentia.7391

If this is true, and Mr. Lesh wasn’t being sarcastic, then the “something deeper” I alluded to in my previous post is coming to light.

If Anet, and Mr. Lesh, honestly thinks they can build a pay model out of sPvP by alienating a substantial portion of their overall player base, then I made a serious mistake by committing my time to this game, as well as purchasing $200 worth of gems. I suspect many have purchased far more and are equally disgusted. What other reason could there be for this bizarre ignorance of a fundamental game-play issue now revealed to be a focus on the trivial matter of spectating?

I began playing computer games in 1981 with Wizardry I. My first MMO was Ultima Online. I’ve dealt with bugs, design hardships, and bad business models through it all. Why? Because I love to play a good game.

The devs of WoW frequently gave real answers to real questions and that went a long way towards the sustainability of the subscription model. Real answers to real questions are apparently not something the devs of Anet embrace. Are you building a world that will last years or are you grabbing a pot of gold?

This is a frank insult Mr. Lesh. Shame on you. Shame on Arena Net. I am now embarrassed to have recommended, and purchased, this game for my friends and family.

(edited by Dexlmentia.7391)

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

So they’re going out of their way to make a broken mechanic even more broken. How about fixing the bugs rather than breaking things even more. Having two functions on the same key DOES NOT WORK. There’s an reason other games don’t do it. It’s stupid, irrational and frankly almost unbelievable.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: Vyxion.6358

Vyxion.6358

So they’re going out of their way to make a broken mechanic even more broken. How about fixing the bugs rather than breaking things even more. Having two functions on the same key DOES NOT WORK. There’s an reason other games don’t do it. It’s stupid, irrational and frankly almost unbelievable.

WoW does right click targeting and camera roll in 1 button (right click) too and it has always worked flawlessly without a single complaint. So…

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

WoW does right click targeting and camera roll in 1 button (right click) too and it has always worked flawlessly without a single complaint. So…

Totally false.

This ‘feature’ of WOW is abused by griefers on PVE servers for example by flagging themselves then standing on top of NPCs or other ‘interactables’ in the hope someone will target/attack them instead of interacting with the world/NPC.

This is regularly complained about by those not wanting to be flagged for PVP by a mis-click caused deliberately by the griefer, so stop lying when you say it’s never been complained about.

It is also a big problem in group instances when it’s all too easily to flood your screen (and of course those of everyone else) with loot boxes from trash corpses when you’re trying to move to the next mob. This too has been complained about for years and nothing done.

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Posted by: Gergolot.4217

Gergolot.4217

Thank god! Thanks Evan.

I personally like having right click to target, it is the same in virtually every game, and makes it far easier to play at high speed. Hope it gets fixed asap.

There should be an option to turn it off, for the weirdos who don’t like it though

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Thank god! Thanks Evan.

I personally like having right click to target, it is the same in virtually every game, and makes it far easier to play at high speed. Hope it gets fixed asap.

There should be an option to turn it off, for the weirdos who don’t like it though

hello friend
you are brave adventurer
these lands are hostile to your kind
regards,
milo

Stormcrow.7513

I can see right click targeting having its advantages in PVP and I fully sympathize with those who have gotten used to that system since the games’ launch.
The big problem is for the PVE people who are either in a giant zerg or in WVW.
Panning the camera is done almost constantly in an action combat situation and when there are 100 people(targets) on the screen, including NPC’s, neurtral(yellow) animals and inanimate objects it is VERY easy to lose your target by the simple action of panning the camera. Using a mesmer is even more frustrating since there are countless times when I am trying to summon a clone only to not be able to summon anything since my target has changed to an inanimate object or worse hit a neutral creature or other monster and create agro. I have inadvertently targeted solo champs before and had to run away even though I had 0 intention of agro.
If the “fix” does not include a toggle then I can safely say that I will be uninstalling the game and I am sure that I will not be alone in that regard.
This issue should have been fixed in beta.
It is ridiculous for any key to be double binded, especially movement and targeting lol.

Posted by: ExaFlare.1390

ExaFlare.1390

There is no advantage at all, left click and right click are the same. But right click also control your camera.

Server : Vizunah Square [FR]
Chars : Exa Flare | Exaflare | Aurora Wall | Aurora Sword | Azure Flame God

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

It’s not weirdos.

Guild Wars 1 didn’t have it, and when right-click-and-drag is the primary method of adjusting the camera in most 3D third-person RPGs, right-click targeting makes it very easy to accidentally change your target when in a target-rich environment. In sPvP, where there are only a handful of potential targets I can see this not being a problem. In PvE, though, this can and has lead to people dying when they shouldn’t have on a regular basis, especially when combined with the mechanics of downed state (where you need to kill the enemy with the lowest health ASAP and you’re probably surrounded by enemies if you got downed in the first place, having your target changed by a camera adjustment is literally a life and death issue for your character).

This is why we ask for a toggle, since we understand different game modes do have different parameters and different players have different priorities. But there are a lot of people who are primarily PvE or WvW players where this is their #1 aggravation with the game. I think I’ve even lost the chance of converting one of my housemates due to swearing at the game when I lose my target and die because of it due to right-click targeting – when combined with confirmation bias, it’s given him a very skewed viewpoint of how enjoyable (or, more to the point, otherwise) the game actually is. Seriously, this may seem a small issue, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s one that ArenaNet has lost sales over.

EDIT: @ExaFlare: Left-click-and-drag also moves your camera – this just isn’t really an issue because people rarely do that deliberately

There are subtle differences – there are things that left-clicking will target and right-clicking won’t, for instance, like friendly players. However, these differences rarely matter in PvE more than keeping your target once you’ve acquired it, especially when downed.

Frankly, if I had free reign over the controls, I’d probably bind what is now right click to left click, and what is now left click to something else (ctrl+left click, perhaps) for those few times when I do want to target a player.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

Posted by: PimmoZ.5497

PimmoZ.5497

Left click = Target
Right click = Target and SHOOT.

Kinda big difference from left click…
Allmost every mmo works this way, dont play mmo’s if you dont like it…

Should be repaired asap for the speed of targetting and shooting, especially in pvp…
An option to disable it would be nice as people are not the same and have different playstyles. All I say it is vital for good and fast pvp.

Other thing I noticed. U can right click mesmer clones and thieves so this is not fair for their profession and the balance of pvp.

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

To clarify: This bug was an unintended change from enabling right-click to switch spectate targets. It only affects enemy players. Disabling right-click targeting across the game is a different change that I’m sure will be implemented given then player response.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Posted by: Bovinity.8610

Bovinity.8610

Wow.

A control scheme that’s standard to pretty much all MMO’s (and other games as well) is considered a “game-breaking” bug by Mr. $4000 and a few others, and so they’re declaring GW2 a failure?

Take your ball, go home, and leave us alone.

Any sufficiently advanced skill is indistinguishable from luck.

salameri.3768

Ok this has been in game since day one and I am not sure how your targeting others when your holding down the right click the whole time. Sounds to me like your releasing and hitting a target sometimes. just make sure you hold it down and be careful. I NEED right click target and attack asap. I think most good pvp’ers do.

salameri.3768

Fighting with Mesmer or Minions Necro are a nightmare with this Tab Click method but right click target is the worst. You should lock on the target, no matter which button u click, the target still has to be locked on, except press Tab for changing targets.

This doesnt make sense. If they are so hard to target why would left click be better than right click? When you left click they are selected and then you have to push attacks. When they are right clicked they are selected and your autoattacks start. I am not seeing the big kitten here.

salameri.3768

Thank god! Thanks Evan.

AGREED! I NEED my right click and BAM attack and concentrate and other skills and target them for focused teamwork.

salameri.3768

Ok to the people whining about right click in pvp.

Left Click = Select target ONLY

Right Click = target selected and auto attack starts so you can continue calling target for focus and using your skills!

Its funny how all the non pvpers come in here and whine about it.

Evan please fix this bug today. Its really messing with me in tpvp!

Stormcrow.7513

To clarify: This bug was an unintended change from enabling right-click to switch spectate targets. It only affects enemy players. Disabling right-click targeting across the game is a different change that I’m sure will be implemented given then player response.

Thanks for the clarification.
I think that most people do not want a disable but rather a toggle.
Anet needs to put this in ASAP.
This issue has been in the game since beta and it is beyond annoying.
It is game breaking in its current state.
Lets hope you guys come up with a toggle resolution in the VERY near future.

stale.9785

Hey, now that I’m a bit less upset (still not impressed) I want to point out that this isn’t something I’m complaining about purely for myself.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/An-option-to-disable-right-click-targeting/page/13#post2116547

This is a thread, which has been around for 8 months now, and has the second highest number of views in the game. There are literally thousands of people who have issues with the whole releasing the right mouse button targets whatever you happen to be over.

It’s an issue that makes PvE, Dungeons and WvW unplayable for people – and it’s easily replicated, there are videos showing what’s happening. In the whole thread, we have two responses from Evan saying that it might be looked into, and one over 6 months ago from Gaile, claiming they would look at a fix for it.

Think about this – the largest segment of the playerbase is affected by a bug that is completely game breaking for many – and yet the niche market is the one that gets attention.

All that’s been requested is a toggle – we couldn’t get that. Then there was a “bug” that actually improved quality of life for many gamer – and they’re “fixing” the bug.

Pretending it’s a minority problem, or one that only affects the outliers is dishonest. The reason this kitten es me off so much is that people have been complaining since Beta about this, and yet 1 single complaint from a PvP player gets attention. Sigh.

Whatever. Wallet is closed, and I won’t be supporting anything else from Anet. (Honesty says I’ll probably still play when the wife asks, cause hey, it is a great game. It’s just being mis-managed on a scale that’s hard to accept from a modern company.)

Stormcrow.7513

From today’s patch notes :
Structured PvP
Right-click targeting of enemy players has been re-enabled.

I hope that your still working on a toggle, fixing what most people consider a bug to begin with..if that makes sense.
Please guys help asap!

Posted by: Yuuki.1087

Yuuki.1087

Posting bugs IG doesnt work at all. Hmph I had petitioned this bug several times since beta.
I always lose target when switching camera.

LVL80/Full Equipment: Warrior, Ranger, Necro, Mesmer, Guardian, Engineer, Elementalist
LVL2: Thief

Posted by: sorenrye.7238

sorenrye.7238

I agree.

Or at least make it possible to bind ‘choose target and attack’ which is currently bound to mouse2 to some other key. But as with everything, key bindings are only ‘half-heartedly’ implemented.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

That would actually be one of the first things I’d test in QA. Your testers should be trained to watch out for unwanted side effects specifically, they’re missing those quite often.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: PimmoZ.5497

PimmoZ.5497

It’s fixed! Yeee!