Black screen after patch.

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Serind.1267

Serind.1267

Hey! I would like to report my bug.

Today after new patch i can’t play game anymore.
Screen is all black, still can hear music in background and mouse cursor is flickering like crazy, and the worst thing is i can’t even exit to desktop, everytime i try to run gw2 i need to restart my computer after.
I tried uninstalling the game, still not working.

Posted by: Oskar.3791

Oskar.3791

Same problem here (Win XP 32b).

For temporary solution run game in windowed mode:
“…\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -windowed

(edited by Oskar.3791)

Posted by: superrobotwars.6923

superrobotwars.6923

I have a similar issue but i see my desktop hear music playing and guildwars 2 blue bar at the top flickers and mouse flickers i cant do anything

Posted by: MyBigToe.7930

MyBigToe.7930

I have this issue as well! it is so annoying because I can’t even alt+tab, alt+f4, ctrl+alt+del, i have to press the restart button on my tower to get rid of the flashing screen, so now I’m stuck playing in windows mode -.-

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Same thing here. Win XP also. Have to force a shutdown and then restart the PC to get back to Windows. Gonna try the -windowed thing.

Okay, that worked, as far as getting into the game. But now when I try to chat with my guildies it says I’m not in a guild. :-(

Someone in map chat said, in regard to the guild chat thing, set your online status to invisible and then back to online. It seemed to work – but then my guildies were gone and the game crashed.

Anyway, hang in there everybody!

The table is a fable.

(edited by Tachenon.5270)

Posted by: Dworkin Barriman.1275

Dworkin Barriman.1275

Same thing here, game borders blink when trying to run in fullscreen, pointer flashes and lurches around screen. Ctrl/alt/delete doesn’t help, have to reset the computer. Running XP as well.

Posted by: pepe.1584

pepe.1584

bonjour allez vous apporter un correctif à votre mise à jour qui fait planter certains pc ?
au lancement l’écran devient noir, le curseur clignote et rien à faire pour récupérer Windows… obligé d’éteindre l’ordi sauvagement. Visiblement beaucoup de posts déjà sur le net. merci.

Posted by: Wauzl.3479

Wauzl.3479

Same here, also using WinXP 32bit. On the other hand some other thread suggested, that other OS have similar issues.

Windowed mode sucks; works though :/

Posted by: zareyo.3186

zareyo.3186

same here,

sometimes black screen sometimes just nothing and freezes.

love to hear of any other fixes on this if anyone finds anything

Ive looked online already, repaired, and re-installed video drivers,

i opened a ticket, well see i guess…

Posted by: Helic.3216

Helic.3216

Same problem, i can get to the character screen but when i log to the game, the screen start flashing. I need to do a hard reset to get back to windows.

Posted by: Serind.1267

Serind.1267

Welp after todays hotfix still can’t play in fullscreen. But! screen is not black anymore, can’t see(but can still hear music) gw2 on that little thingy at the bottom of desktop, and still need to hard restart my computer, but hey they did something xD.

Posted by: pepe.1584

pepe.1584

Wake up this morning, happy an update !! well it’s not work today… so happy to be in hollidays…

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

Same issue here I lost my progress a lot during living story.Black screen then game freeze still hear the music.

Posted by: HencoWish.1035

HencoWish.1035

Ok guys, same problem here, but in 64-bit Windows 7. Guild Wars was running in compability mode for WinXP! So change it back to Win7 mode or disable it. Try again. Worked for me! Right click..properties..compability..

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I had a complete freeze today, Well it wasn’t my first hang (most hangs are from other sources

Complete unresponsiveness to all keys, but gw2.exe was seemingly still running, Audio still playing in loop. I had my fair share of audio bugs before so. It could be the audiodriver, I tend to ignore those… I had audio crash before hanging Gw2.exe or just getting stuck in an infinite loop of static/ music or other sounds

But I expect a memory leak, not a virus tbh… To much stuff has been bad already this patch This could be one as well. I run 32Gb of ram, but as Gw2 can only adress it’sown little 4Gb block… I’m gonna keep an eye out for this…. I suppose It could be this classic thread destroyer…

Oh and the higher graphics requirement due to the new camera system taxes my GPU’s quite a bit more and makes them 70 celsius instead of 62… (air, not water), they were 24 hour tested and later 72 hour and suffered no hitch, though a lot of options haven’t been checked could be a dustbridge underneath the huge nvidia coolers…

Generally I would seek the problem with my rig, but the Beta graphics could easily be the culprits…. I really dislike the beta release in a ongoning system and the apperant instability dereiving from it…

There was no reason whatsoever to crash though the video could be a direct reason, as the graphics were hanging , but the audio wasn’t could hear jumps but view was gone.

Running Win 7 Ultimate
On an i7 3930K @3.8Ghz, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, 32 Gb Ram, 2 GTX 780 in SLi, most recent driver.

On the Side:
Really hope they release a multithread application instead of keeping the present 2 thread game, allowing the game to scale over 4 threads or more threads would be very nice.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: zareyo.3186

zareyo.3186

still black screen at any resolution for me, even after todays patch.
compatibility mode is not checked.

have been working on it with a support guy even , back and forth open ticket for 2 days now

Posted by: Jesuismdr.5621

Jesuismdr.5621

Had this issue after last big patch, turned off VSYNC and anything related to it and now i can run everything on “ultra”, even supersampling which didn’t work before the patch in fullscreen mode. R9 290x in crossfire. This fixes it but i guess i have to live with the coil whine caused by the 200fps im getting.

Posted by: cato.4971

cato.4971

same problem, can hear the music black screen flikering. hard reset to get to windows

Posted by: Kenimich.4986

Kenimich.4986

let my computer sit there for a few minutes and then I got the sound flickering. But it stops skype too, which is weird. I have always played in windowed fullscreen.

Posted by: virus.4370

virus.4370

…so is it fixed yet?

Posted by: Swagmeister.6524

Swagmeister.6524

TEMPORARY FIX WORKED GREAT FOR ME!

On windows XP go to Start > Run (Or press windows key + R)
Type in: msconfig

next go to the Startup tab at the top right, it will show all programs to start at system startup.

UN-check Skype as well as FacebookUpdate (I tested all startup programs one by one and these two were the culprits)

Click Apply and then OK, click restart computer when prompted.

Start game normally > Enjoy!

(I have no idea why these tho programs are interfering with GW2 and causing black screen and I/O errors that terminate the game or leave it hanging – Moderators please convey this toward someone who can look into it)

(edited by Swagmeister.6524)