Bug: Lighting changes in 3/22 Update

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

Apparently the lighting setting changed in the last patch. Was this planned or accidentally added to the patch?

Attachments:

Posted by: Catastrophe.2407

Catastrophe.2407

I was just thinking that myself, its like dull now

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Characters looks way different now too. Pale skins look gray now, like stone, and a bit more tanned skins are very dark.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Yes, we are investigating. Thank you for your reports. I’m in DR now talking to players, and I shared an image of my girl with the devs so they’d see how this is coming across on the screen.

Settings: Best Appearance

Can you update what settings you guys are using?

Thanks!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

Yes, we are investigating. Thank you for your reports. I’m in DR now talking to players, and I shared an image of my girl with the devs so they’d see how this is coming across on the screen.

Settings: Best Appearance

Can you update what settings you guys are using?

Thanks!

Using this settings in both pictures.

Attachments:

Posted by: Kirjava.9476

Kirjava.9476

It’s connected to Shaders, if you turn it off, it becomes normal, if you enable it, it becomes awkward, doesn’t matter if it’s on low, medium or high.

P.S.: I’ve tried it with both 32 and 64 bit clients, nothing changed when i switched.

(edited by Kirjava.9476)

Posted by: UnknownFreak.2805

UnknownFreak.2805

Seem to be a shader issue, on low shader quality is looks like it should (but lower quality), but set it to normal, or high it gets messed up.
This is with mostly max settings.

screenshot shows with the different shader qualities, along with the rest of graphics options.

Attachments:

How to crashreport…
Someone say game crash must be related to OOM
when you read the log it’s not related to that whatsoever…

Posted by: Sassy.1697

Sassy.1697

Additionally shaders on low cause weird transparency issues.

Attachments:

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

You folks are model bug reporters. Thank you SO very much!

I’m actively discussing with several devs, and they’re identifying. What I’ve found is that it seems related to Shaders, not Shadows, but I’m sending them a bunch of images of my char with various settings on and off. With your help — and those images and setting choice identifications — we’re on this!!!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

I was editing my post and cropping images to add info, while mods removed it.

On today’s issue:
After today, on medium settings, enviro maps look clearer than on high, but not the same as they were before 2/23, there are some strange artifacts appearing on metallic materials on med settings.

Attachments:

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Thanks for updating, Marge. The previous post was simply not on the topic of this thread, and that’s why it was removed. Nothing personal, and of course they didn’t realize you were editing to post relevant info. Thanks for understanding and for sharing the info and images — very helpful!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Kam.4092

Kam.4092

Thanks for updating, Marge. The previous post was simply not on the topic of this thread, and that’s why it was removed. Nothing personal, and of course they didn’t realize you were editing to post relevant info. Thanks for understanding and for sharing the info and images — very helpful!

Will there be a fix soon? I really love my character, but not like this

Posted by: achwas.6190

achwas.6190

this bug also applies in the opposite direction with bright lights and shadowed area : like the skritt caves( (“quandry sratch”) in Mount Maelstrom …everything is massively bright, and solarized.
These area are visually painful to enter/adventure in. Bug report for this was sent as well.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Update: The team believes they have identified the issue related to this situation. They will be working on a correction, which then will go into testing. This could happen relatively quickly, or may take a few days. Naturally, the objective is to get this correct as soon as possible, and thank you all for your reports and your patience.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Kam.4092

Update: The team believes they have identified the issue related to this situation. They will be working on a correction, which then will go into testing. This could happen relatively quickly, or may take a few days. Naturally, the objective is to get this correct as soon as possible, and thank you all for your reports and your patience.

Thanks Gaile ^-^

Posted by: Wyn.5724

Wyn.5724

Yup much darker now.

Attached a comparison shot before and after the patch. Left before patch right after the patch…Screenshots taken in Divinity Reach with same settings at daytime.

Attachments:

Posted by: samsamsammich.3874

samsamsammich.3874

For me, it’s different between windows borderless and full screen. Screenshots don’t necessarily shot it, but I can easily see a difference while playing the game.

Posted by: Dana windfelt.8160

Dana windfelt.8160

Yeah, looks so odd.

Attachments:

Posted by: FemmeFatale.2839

FemmeFatale.2839

I am glad I came to the forums to search this and that it is being addressed. I don’t like my characters with grey skin. Will be checking back here to see what progress is being made. Again I am glad it is being worked on.

Posted by: Valefor.1805

Valefor.1805

Please fix it as soon as possible. This patch turn my cutie character into the spooky looking character. Make me unhappy to play the game.

Attachments:

Kam.4092

Please fix it as soon as possible. This patch turn my cutie character into the spooky looking character. Make me unhappy to play the game.

Same here

Posted by: ArtPulse.8630

ArtPulse.8630

Phew! Glad to know it’s a bug and not an intended, permanent, change. Everything is looking so bad >.<

If it’s of any help: GTX 970. Latest drivers (March 8th)

Esthetics – Tarnished Coast
[Cult] Counterculture

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

The “character lighting bug” made charr hair look appropriate in light and shadow… why was it considered a bug?

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

it also made skin to be darker, more shadowy, armor to be different shade

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Bug-Lighting-changes-in-3-22-Update

so yeah, was a bug

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

eyestrain.3056

The lighting is just more realistic imo. I can see why people didn’t like it on their humans but it made charr look awesome.

Posted by: Redninjakoopa.7426

Redninjakoopa.7426

I’m with eyestrain on this one, it actually made it look quite a bit more realistic. I would actually like it if this “bug” was put as a graphics option.

eyestrain.3056

I’m with eyestrain on this one, it actually made it look quite a bit more realistic. I would actually like it if this “bug” was put as a graphics option.

I know my guildie would be over the moon happy. He was estatic his charr’s hair finally had lighting effects instead of always being bright even at night and in shadow, and was seriously disappointed and upset when the lighting change was reverted. It seems like an option players should have, if there is no other issue than personal preference.