Bypassing Soulbound lock for looks

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

In response to this thread is transferring the looks of a Soulbound item onto a equal level Basic (white) gear to allow the items looks to be swapped between accounts allowed or is this a bug.

Example:
1) Level 80 Necromancer creates a level 1 Necromancer alt.
2) They buy a low level Basic head armour on the alt.
3) They transmute the look of the Skull Masque (Soulbound item) starter head armour onto that basic armour.
4) They bank it, delete the alt and then use the armour look for there main, taking the look and applying it to there armour.

This would allow people to take any look of any item for other characters via this method.

Thanks!

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

Posted by: Chris.6105

Chris.6105

I also heard, that you can remove the soulbound through deleting the charakter… And this shall actually include legendaries, cultural armor, karma-rewards…

Even if only Ascii is right, i can still make it… (but i wont before an official response)

I saw a few Charakter which had used this, a Mesmer wit blue glowing eyes, a Engeener with thief-starter-mask, i was really envious…

Posted by: spacelion.9865

spacelion.9865

uh, no offense but why would you mention a bug that is beneficial to the player yet relatively harmless? Yes it is possible, no it probably wasn’t intended. So what? Great, now the mods will see this and we will have to spend 30g for some ridiculous skin when we could have just gotten something for free.

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

Clearing up a couple of things

1: Yes, you can transmute a soul bound item on to a non-soul bound item. The new item will be account bound and can be worn by any of the characters on your account. (it will become soulbound on use if it is a piece of armor or other such item)

2: This is not a bug. It used to be that the resulting item said “soulbound” but worked like an account bound item. In the last big update, however, it was changed so that the new item actually says “account bound” so obviously they intended this to work this way.

3: You can do this with cultural armor but the resulting account bound item can only be used by a character of the race the cultural armor was designed for.

4: If you transmute soul bound onto soul bound the result will be soulbound rather than account bound.

5: You do not have to delete the alt if you do not want to and deleting the alt will not un-soulbind the item.

Posted by: Merc The Forgotten.5610

Merc The Forgotten.5610

Good job on ruining it for us.
Now this will be fixed and people will need to spend loads of money for the same thing.
Or cant use some weapons/armor on other characters what they normaly cant get.

(edited by Merc The Forgotten.5610)

Lamont.5973

Good job on ruining it for us.
Now this will be fixed and people will need to spend loads of money for the same thing.
Or cant use some weapons/armor on other characters what they normaly cant get.

Calm down.

It’s not a bug. It’s intended to work this way.

Ascii.9726

@Lamont.5973 I think your just saying that because its something you’ve used. Soulbound items are soulbound for a reason, workarounds to take the look of soulbound items sounds like a bug to me.

All u’ve said is transmuting it turns it from soulbound turns it into an account bound, and as we all know soulbound =/= account bound, they made legendary gifts soulbound so they cant be transferred between accounts so what makes other soulbound items so special?

Will keep this thread bumped until a Mod posts

Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

Lamont.5973

No

I am saying that when you did this they USED to be labeled “soulbound” but work like account bound. This made people think it was a bug.

As of the last update ANet changed it so that when you do this it now says plainly “account bound.”

That is a pretty clear message from ANet that not only were they aware this could be done but that they do NOT consider it a bug.

Ascii.9726

The item is labeled soulbound, it is bound to that character, plain and simple, moving it or its looks off the soulbound account seems like a bug to me. Its called soulbound for a reason.

Soulbound working like Account bound is a bug plain and simple.

Note: I have not done this, this was a thread brought up about someone else doing it.

Posted by: zbrkesbr.4173

zbrkesbr.4173

The item is labeled soulbound, it is bound to that character, plain and simple, moving it or its looks off the soulbound account seems like a bug to me. Its called soulbound for a reason.

item != skin (looks). I dont see problem with transferring skins between characters on 1 account.

War doesn’t determine who is right, only who is left.

Posted by: Oni.7451

Oni.7451

I am also curious about this. When I had this happen to be I was incredibly happy because I trashed my old Mesmer mask without realizing that I couldn’t replace it. However, after the update where they all turned “Account Bound” and even started happening to me without intending on random weaponsIi transmuted, I got comfortable with the idea that its an “Easter Egg”, for ppl who want to replace lost starter items, or give their, in my case, Mesmer a more necromancer look.

No other armor in the game is bound by class. Just the starting gear. Not even every class gets cool unique starting items. So I feel that it is only fair that they can be transmuted and shared between your own characters.

Regardless, I would like to see a mod confirm that this is an Easter egg or bug. I don’t want to be regarded as an abuser, and would gladly trash every one of the items should they be deemed illegal in game, but I would respectfully disagree with that decision.