Camera control issues - a documented list

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Hughs.6549

Hughs.6549

Posted by: Lucubration.8361

Lucubration.8361

I was running the Scavenger’s Chasm jumping puzzle yesterday and encountered many of the issues with sluggish response time and snapping in/out that you covered in the OP. I’ve also noticed pointer sensitivity and acceleration issues, particularly some weird interactions with Logitech’s SetPoint software. Finally, I can also tell that we’re playing with a very narrow FoV (and wish we could increase it a bit).

Posted by: Baxuz.1943

Baxuz.1943

I’ve seen it, and while I understand their response, I’m definetly not happy with it. Here’s my take on the response:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Camera-and-FOV-field-of-view/346973

Camera control issues – a documented list
No longer blowing up stuff up on Gandara [CM] :(

Posted by: Makovorn.1706

Makovorn.1706

I think for the sake of the discussion, it’s perhaps a good idea to quote Jon’s message in here as others have linked his thread, which is regrettably now closed. The issue surrounding the field of view in GW2 is obviously a very heated topic for some and something that’s not simply going to go away. The good news is that some of the other camera issues are on it’s way to being fixed!

For the moment, we don’t really know exactly what this “serious problem” refers to, but it seems to be related to camera smoothing:

JonPeters.5630:

I’ve seen a lot of topics on this both here and externally so let me try and address it. The current FOV is going to stay because increasing it, while having some benefits for some players, has too many drawbacks.

1) performance suffers greatly because of how things are built and view distances

2) art suffers because of texture tiling, LOD problems and just general stretching from the fisheye effect.

3) gameplay suffers because positional awareness becomes less necessary in a game where combat is greatly designed around positioning.

There is a a serious camera problem, however, which is making some players nauseous. We believe a large number of these cases are not FOV related but rather due to bugs in camera smoothing. Because of this we are expediting a quick fix to this issue that is currently in testing and should see the light of day in the next build we do.
Jon

This is a follow-up post by Jon as well:

JonPeters.5630:

FOV in GW2 is 75, which is the same as the default in Half Life and WoW. While I understand people’s desires, (I play source engine and quake engine games at about 105 or 110), we are not just limiting it for technical reasons, there are also gameplay implications that we are taking into account that we believe are a core part of the game. Additionally we keep it at 75 to maintain the integrity of our art which is also important to us and many of our fans. If there was a single reason we might think about looking for a workaround, but because it relates to core issues for 3 of our major departments this is not an easy problem and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

IMHO, threads like this one (created by Baxuz) as well as SeanPoez’s thread over here (LINK) are very important places to discuss camera related issues, and it’s perhaps a good idea to try and tone things down a bit for the sake of keeping these open.

In any event, I sincerely hope Jon and the other developers will consider some of what was said in Jon’s thread, as there were IMO quite a few very valid counter-points raised in response to the original post. It would also be great to get some feedback on the possibility of ArenaNet loosening the reins a little bit when it comes to community developed tools to aid players who are affected by Guild Wars 2’s constricted FoV , as well as other community tools that could aid players with disabilities.

It feels like it’s been a long fight … but I’m grateful for Jon’s response, even though I don’t agree with it 100%. In the end, it’s all about making a great game even better.

Posted by: gene helo.1590

gene helo.1590

Sure its a response, but it doesn’t seem very sincere, rather some kind of excuse just so they don’t have to fix the camera other than the smoothing.

I like how Jon Peters tries to show us that they play other games like Half Life and are aware of what FOV is like, but he is also forgetting that Half Life was a game made about 10 years ago, and was made for monitors that are full screen. Play on a fullscreen monitor with 75 FOV, then try a widescreen monitor with 75 FOV, you will see a difference.

I’m personally not grateful for the response either because it is insulting. People can already hack or find ways to increase FOV like using windowed mode. Was there a performance drop? Did it effect gameplay? I don’t think so. It just makes the game less nauseating..

Anyway…what about the snap/zoom camera collision with objects in the game? That definitely needs to be fixed.

Makovorn.1706

-snip- …what about the snap/zoom camera collision with objects in the game? That definitely needs to be fixed.

Yeah, I’m hoping a fix for that will also be expedited – I made a small 30 sec video about it here – LINK

Aside from the FoV, which I guess can be seen as an subjective thing, there are a quite a few things that’s presenting some difficulty at the moment when playing, that potentially affects the entirety of the player-base:

• As mentioned in Jon’s post, the camera smoothing issues
  • Camera collision problems as a result of it being too sensitive to objects, and sometimes colliding with small objects on the ground, like little pillars (in the video) and tree stumps from chopped trees – and spazzing out as a result of that.
  • Camera collision problems in cramped or cluttered areas i.e. like when you’re making your way through jumping puzzles up a mountain etc. where the camera auto-zoom’s in fully onto the back of your character, making it near impossibile to see where you’re going. This is especially true for larger races.
  • Camera collision problems specifically associated with the asura, where the camera will spazz out on things like floating stairs (also in the video). This doesn’t happen with e.g. human characters.
  • The height of the camera pivot (especially of the asura) being too low, causing the camera to collide with the ground and then auto-zooming into your asura character’s back when you try to look in an upwards direction. This is especially challenging in caves, hill-sides etc. where there’s a lot of up and downwards slanting terrain.
  • (On a personal note) – when you zoom out, your character still feels a bit “centralized” on the screen, and together with the lowness of the camera pivot, it feels like you cannot view “up” properly, to view (and admire) the sheer scale and beauty of some tall environments.
  • Related to the previous point, the amount of view you get to see horizontally (I guess you could call this the “horizontal FoV”) doesn’t seem enough. I constantly feel like flipping my monitor on it’s side in postcard view just to see more of the distance, the sky and tall structures. For the moment (and especially with the asura), a comfortable “resting position” for the camera seems to be in a position where it points to the ground more often than not – this is not ideal IMHO.

I hope they’ll consider these issues as well.

As someone else pointed out, a possible solution to the camera collision issues, would be to make certain objects “no-clip zones” for the camera only, so when the camera collides with those objects, it goes through them while gracefully fading out from your view so that you can still maintain some zoom-distance in constricted areas.

(edited by Makovorn.1706)

Posted by: ulukaiulukai.2584

ulukaiulukai.2584

Now that we know that the FOV isn’t going to change, is there any official word on the camera’s pivot (“look-at point”) at all?

The camera should look at a point above the character’s head. Right now, it is looking at the character’s chest, no matter the race.

The consequence: We can neither look into the distance nor up. You simply NEVER see the horizon/sky while moving around.

Look at this old DAoC screenshot as an example. You can see what’s in front of you, because the camera is above the character’s head.

http://i.imgur.com/DEb6O.jpg

In GW2, to see the horizon and stuff in front of you, you have to lower the camera to the ground (awkward) and even then can’t see stuff, because it looks at your character’s chest.

http://i.imgur.com/yUsK6.jpg

Makovorn.1706

Just a quick visit to this thread to say, thank you ArenaNet, for expediting the quick-fix to the camera smoothing issues. The game feels so much more responsive now – you folks are definitely heading in the right direction.

Also, thank you for recognizing that there other problems too. I sincerely hope this thread (and the other feedback threads) helps in terms of feedback.

Posted by: manupa.6829

manupa.6829

I also just came to say THANK YOU!!!!! the camera feels soft, fluid, it’s just great, i had stopped playing because of the camera, now i can play again

Baxuz.1943

Well the camera smoothing has definetly been tweaked. Feels a bit more responsive now, but still very weird.

Posted by: The Red.1025

The Red.1025

The camera still feels far too loose and rubber-bandy to me. Eg: notice how long it can take to come to a halt after a turn – sometimes it continues to zoom for about three seconds. The camera is still too intrusive for my tastes.

Thank you ANet for trying.

Baxuz.1943

HEAR YE, HEAR YE!

I seem to have completely fixed the input lag and acceleration on my configuration, along with the microstutters.
I have done it by following this guide and disabling HPET which was introduced in Windows 7.

For more info about HPET, testing tools, and variants (enabling it exclusively might help, depends on hardware) consult this topic

(edited by Baxuz.1943)

Posted by: Simon.8513

Simon.8513

For those having camera/display/mouse lag, go to your GPU control panel and set 1) if you got ATI 2) if you got Nvidia

1)Flip Queue Size = 1
2)RenderAheadLimit = 1

Do NOT set it to 0 as that means default

(edited by Simon.8513)

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

OK, I’ll post here again. No one responded to my earlier post, and I’m pretty sure that making a new thread will just get merged again. So. Question.

My Norn cannot choose the zoom level. Every time I zone it gets reset. It’s not even consistent reset — sometimes it zooms out more on zone than others.

It’s a minor annoyance, but it’s enough so that I’m about ready to delete my stupid Norn because the camera doesn’t actually do what I want. Stay the kitten kitten kitten (lots more kittens) same every time I zone.

Is anyone else seeing this? I’ve tried renaming the local.dat file to wipe out locally saved settings (but that didn’t eliminate key binds, so at least some stuff seems to be stored server side). Is there any fix to this?

I do not have the same problem on my Asura. Or human. Or sylvari. I don’t have a Charr, but… just the problem on the Norn.

Posted by: Ovalwerth.2091

Ovalwerth.2091

Right, before I get flamed for posting someone else has already done; my apologies, I want to go to bed so I am not reading the 5 previous pages completely but I do want to post what I just found:

• The windowed mode thing is great (yes people know this already) still strange to get used to, but FoV is SO much better. Also it feels like the camera zooms out differently… somehow.

But the better thing:

• When I turned on Vertical Sync in window mode my mouselag disappeared!!!

I have no logical reasoning behind this besides maybe the mouse turning to hardware accelaration with the vertical sync, but that is a complete guess. I hope it helps some people get rid of their terrible delayed mouse issues though! My eyes were thankful for it ;-)

Goodluck! Maybe it’s just time to buy one of those cinema aspect ratio screens and play in windowed mode form now on ;D

EDIT: Equally if not more important, this also solved my keyboard delay! Allround awesomeness!

(edited by Ovalwerth.2091)

Posted by: gene helo.1590

gene helo.1590

I haven’t played this game in around a month because the camera is horrible. I recently tried to play it again..the camera collision is still horrible, and I couldn’t play it anymore.

Sigh* ..Any idea if that will be fixed or minimized?

Posted by: The Red.1025

The Red.1025

Personally, I fond the camera much improved since the acceleration and FoV improvements.

The only race I find unplayable now is the Asura, who are positioned too high in the screen, with the result that it feels like I’m playing with a visor obscuring the top of my view.

Compared with other games the GW2 camera is still badly implemented and could do with custom settings to allow each player to customize to their own preference.

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

Personally, I fond the camera much improved since the acceleration and FoV improvements.

The only race I find unplayable now is the Asura, who are positioned too high in the screen, with the result that it feels like I’m playing with a visor obscuring the top of my view.

Compared with other games the GW2 camera is still badly implemented and could do with custom settings to allow each player to customize to their own preference.

This..

For me, Humans/Sylvari/Asura aren’t playable now, as they’re too far out and high on my screen, causing me dizziness.. And with this said, i must add that my entire roster is now useless, except for two Norns i made after the update.. (No, -useOldFOV isn’t an option, as future updates will probably remove that feature, and then what?)

My only option now is to stick to a Norn, and play at a +1 zoom (one mousewheel up) from the fully zoomed in camera.. I want to see my character at a decent size when i play, and to see a small figure moving around in an elevated terrain isn’t exactly healthy for my eyes.. Let’s face it : Not everyone has a 35 inch 16:9 monitor!

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Posted by: raxx.8914

raxx.8914

That is a lie, there is a third party program that lets you change the FOV, i just tried playing the game for the first time in awhile, it took 10 minutes till felt bad. The fov fix they put in must not have done the job.
I can play for hours with the third party program.
The game dishonored has a fov slider.
This game needs 85-90 fov option.

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

The horizontal-based FoV was an improvement for some people, a step backwards for others.

The physically correct FoV depends on how big the monitor is and how far people sit from it. Without a FoV adjustment slider, it will never be correct for everyone (or even for the majority of players). A physically incorrect FoV leads to nausea, headaches and eye fatigue. This is why virtually every 3D game made in the last 15 years has such a slider.

Not only that, but the GW2 camera target is extremely low (aimed at the waist of our character – or in fact aimed at a point in front of our character ), which means half the screen is wasted showing the ground behind us.

In addition to the FoV slider, the game needs a way to adjust the camera target’s height, so we can move our character closer to the bottom of the screen and maybe (finally!) be able to see things like trees, buildings, or even (god forbid!) the sky, which the developers spent so much time creating, and which we never get to see because rotating the camera up enough to see those things makes it impossible to see the ground and aim AoE skills.

I’m not sure if I’m more amazed by how bad the GW2 camera is compared even to games released over 15 years ago (ex., the original Tomb Raider) or by the fact that Arena Net doesn’t make this their #1 (or even, apparently, their #99) priority, considering how much it reduces the value of the game (both in visual and gameplay terms), and how it drives so many players away due to visual discomfort.

It also seems that several dungeons (ex., CM) were developed and playtested with a completely different camera, as some parts are nearly unplayable (especially with norn, charr and asura characters) due to the interaction between the camera code, the low ceiling and the “furniture”, but I guess that’s a separate issue.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

Posted by: Sky.2154

Sky.2154

I believe that ArenaNet has far more pressing issues than camera controls, such as getting the game to work. That said, for a game that focuses around action oriented combat, positional and surrounding awareness, competitive PvP and jumping puzzles, this is not acceptable as a permanent solution.

This pretty much sums up how I feel… just wanted to drop in and add another name to your list of support.

Posted by: HonoredMule.5873

HonoredMule.5873

The idea of putting the camera “inside” the world has been increasingly popular ever since the advent of modern consoles, but it has never NOT been incredibly stupid and backward. The perfect solution was mastered well over a decade ago, and here’s how to do it properly:

Instead of running a line from player to camera, run a 4-sided cone that intersects with player’s spine just below the neck and the corners of the player’s view projection. There is no such actual position, but it can be extrapolated from the same transformation matrix that creates the camera view in the first place.

Then, simply render as semi-transparent any polygon that isn’t part of any character yet intersects with that cone.

And just like that you have a camera what never moves except as directed by the player, yet the player and his surroundings are always fully visible.

And hey, while you’re at it, how about you stop spinning the camera around while dead, and sending it on a whirlybird ride when using equipment? The former is especially annoying when I’m /still holding down RMB/ to maintain a particular view direction, and the latter is completely disorienting—even far more so than an instant camera change.

Finally, on a distantly related subject, the “target nearest” hotkey seems very inconsistent. What we really need is a key for “target nearest to center of screen”—especially since any time we must fall back on mouse usage we’re in a world of pain. On a busy screen the pointer is very easily lost altogether. But this isn’t an RTS and if we’re to play GW2 as an esport we need controls that aren’t so meandering and contemplative as a mouse pointer. That’s fine for casual players but serious players should never have to fall back on such a slow tool.

I understand that ANet has many teams and many projects to which they must allocate attention. I also understand that they know on which side their bread is buttered, and which tasks result in measurable profit. So I make following pledge not as a rant or out of anger, but simply to make clear how important these issues are to me and to ensure that ANet has proper incentive to prioritize them as they ought:

I pledge not to purchase a single gem nor any expansions, or even other games from ANet until at least the following issues are corrected:
– involuntary camera movement
– input lag (including lag during heavy loads/low framerates)
– camera easing

This is fewer than half of the major issues identified in this thread, and the minimum requirement to make Guild Wars 2 the game that was promised. Until these bugs are fixed (one may be considered a feature request, but the latter two are unquestionably bugs), ANet has failed to meet the typical standards expected of any typical AAA title. Hence, they need to earn the money I’ve already spent before getting any more. If you feel the same way, I urge you to make (and keep) a similar pledge in this thread.

Posted by: Jarhead.3248

Jarhead.3248

Four months later, the camera issues still persist. As much as I believe the core content of Guild Wars 2 is outstanding, these major camera flaws have deterred me from recommending this game 100% to any of my friends.

1) The camera is still slow. When panning, the camera still floats rather than stop on a dime. In addition, initiating the camera pan has a strange split second delay.

2) The camera still has collision issues. Touching a wall, stepping off a cliff or elevated terrain, or bumping into an object with solid collision causes the camera to zoom in and out wildly. Try any jumping puzzle with floating platforms. When the playable character leaps off the ledge, the camera zooms in and out moments before the playable character reaches the intended landing spot. It’s frustrating not because of the design’s challenge, but rather the horrendous camera.

Video of collision issues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqOvX3axULE

3) The limited FOV is still an issue, especially in tight spaces. When playable character is inside a narrow space with a low ceiling, the camera pushes in towards the playable character, obstructing the view.

I am not sure when these issues will ever be solved or, at the very least, acknowledged, but I know I haven’t played much of the game due to them. It’s making me regret buying this game.

Posted by: ElixireL.5190

ElixireL.5190

The display settings in-game report 15 FPS with my setup, however I don’t experience any of these mouse problems or significant slow-downs in PvE combat .

The camera movement’s smoothness , or lack of , is directly related to the smoothness of your mouse. Sure, this isn’t the best graphics engine and it will never be totally smooth like in some other games.

I have a Logitech G700 gaming mouse and have set it to a 500hkz report rate rather than the maximum 1000khz (which can be a source of lag), and I find it best to use around 2000 dpi with my 1920*1080 display.

I recommend checking your PC graphics card settings and your mouse settings .

2) The camera still has collision issues. Touching a wall, stepping off a cliff or elevated terrain, or bumping into an object with solid collision causes the camera to zoom in and out wildly. Try any jumping puzzle with floating platforms. When the playable character leaps off the ledge, the camera zooms in and out moments before the playable character reaches the intended landing spot. It’s frustrating not because of the design’s challenge, but rather the horrendous camera.

3) The limited FOV is still an issue, especially in tight spaces. When playable character is inside a narrow space with a low ceiling, the camera pushes in towards the playable character, obstructing the view

THESE are definitely existing issues that don’t depend on user setup. I rarely go inside small structures because of issue 3. Even fighting in tall grass outside can be a pain as the camera constantly zooms in and out as you move around.

It is a really lame way to do it, what you want is to make anything that gets in the way transparent, NOT to zoom the camera in and out.

(edited by ElixireL.5190)

Posted by: sinfulape.6301

sinfulape.6301

Really Anet should concentrate more on these issues. Ever since I got the game, I’ve been to dungeons only once. Completing that dungeon was a horrible experience, and well, I’d rather play a different game than have to go to a dungeon again. Like other posters in this thread, I tend to avoid cramped up spaces, which unfortunately, you tend to encounter a lot throughout the game. I’m posting right now mostly because I just did a story bit which was inside a very cramped space. My head is still throbbing, 10 minutes after completing that bit, and it feels downright awful. Not to whine, but I’d really like to know if anything can be done about it, and whether anything will actually be done about it. Give us some hope Anet!
Also what the poster above me said. Making things transparent has worked really well elsewhere, why not give that a try here? No-one’s being critical in how you design your games, but really please give this a thought.

Posted by: sorenrye.7238

sorenrye.7238

I agree with the OP – all points.

Fx I bug reported the FOV progblems several times, ingame, during the first month. This is extremely annoying.

I’d also like to add:

1) Try standing outside a keep/tower in wvw and look up. All you can see is your characters back. And if a lot of other players are near you, you cant see anything at all (asura).

2) When standing still in a narrow passage, and while not moving your camera nor your character, the camera zooms in and out like crazy. Stop it.

3) When you are dead, the camera keeps rotating after I have positioned it. There is a reason I positioned the camera -> to look at the spot I am looking at.

4) Anet writes that they want to keep the art pretty for their ‘fans’. I am a fan, and I don’t give a crap about the art. How difficult can it be to make a fov slider in the options menu. Keep the fov at 75, but please make it possible for other poeple to zoom out. Fov 110 at least – both the vertical and horizontal.

5) Please add first-person-view.

6) If you don’t implement first poersion view, can you please position the camera in front of the character, instead of behind the character

7) Please make it possible to ‘lock’ you zoom setting. So it becomes impossible to zoom in and out by accident.

8) Make it possible to remove the zoom-in/out from the mousewheel.

I think that Anet has problems coordinating their departments, coordinating development and bug-fixes, and the flexibility/smartness of how they designed the game engine. I may be wrong, but I think the main reason bug fixes takes this long, is because the code-base is very badly designed – the reasons for this can be several.

(edited by sorenrye.7238)

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Agree with most that has been said here about camera issues. It boggles the mind they could let this slip through to release. Imho, they got the camera right in GW1 – how they could mess it up this bad in this game is just… astonishing.

Everyone I play with have major issues with the camera on numerous places in the world, dungeons and some jumping puzzles of course being the worst culprits. There are so many places, especially in dungeons, where you can’t see what’s going on – at all.

I would suggest the devs go back to GW1 and check out how a camera could/should work. I can’t remember any issues with the camera in that game. In GW2, that have been in development for so many years, they utterly failed with one of the most important aspects of the game, and it seems they won’t address it anytime soon – if ever (they need to acknowledge these issues in the first place).

Another thing that needs some improvements, would be the ability to tone down effects – the combination for bad camera controls and effects going off all over the place seems like a bad combo for sensitive people, possibly triggering epilepsy.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: sorenrye.7238

sorenrye.7238

I forgot to mention:

9) Please show the mouse cursor when I keep RMB pressed. Why remove the ‘aim cursor’ when I pan the camera? Don’t you think my character needs to fire it’s bow/rifle/whatever when I pan the camera?

10) Make it possible to disable ‘targetting/untargeting’ when you click the RMB. I dont want to accidentally change targets when I pan the camera.

11) Make it possible to ALWAYS pan the camera WITHOUT pressing the RMB. Make it possible to toggle the RMB-pressed for moving the cursor around/panning the camera. This way you dont have to keep a button pressed most of the time.

12) Make it possible to target with ground targeting skills, like you do with normal skills.

13) And ‘for christ sake’ make the mouse cursor more visible. XOR it’s colors with the background colors, or something. Make an option to make it bigger/change it’s color/change it’s shape.

(edited by sorenrye.7238)

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Agree again!

I always loose track of that kitten mouse cursor when I need it the most. That this even happens points to a flaw in the design – I have never noticed this being an issue in any other game I’ve ever played, and I’ve played thousands of games throughout the years…

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Dhraiden.9215

Dhraiden.9215

Agreed w/ all immediate previous posters. I’ve been staying away from GW2 b/c the camera’s finnickiness makes me not want to play.

Posted by: Replect.3407

Replect.3407

Yeah, they improved the FOV… So far, so well!
But the camera can really be annoying and hopefully will really see improvements in the near future. The way the camera is choosing when to go close and how to go close in certain situations, god, it’s insane!
Its really sad that their have been no visible improvements or comments from ArenaNet since at least 4 months… :-(

No matter how small an object is, no matter if it actually blocks the view to your character in a way that makes it necessary or not to zoom in… It will!

Just found that, it’s quite old, but the problem is still the same, so…:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3soIU8bwh94

This will even happen with smaller object, horizontal chains that are just a view pixel high…. As soon as those are in the middle of the screen or so, the camera will zoom in.

Together with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haVSp0wVrko

And it will run you crazy!!

Really, that is absolutely horrible, no words for such a behavior:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqOvX3axULE

(edited by Replect.3407)

Posted by: AeroJavi.1687

AeroJavi.1687

The camera rotation-targetting interaction has gone to hell two patches ago, making any profession requiring some aggro managements impossible. No answers about it yet, either.

Makovorn.1706

And here is my little YouTube contribution I slapped together last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PegX3QH-gy0

The bad camera collision in GW2, is sadly one of those things that cannot get enough attention IMHO. I think players are either very forgiving, or they actively avoid areas where it’s particularly rough (closed-in spaces, JP’s etc) or perhaps they just think “this is the way it should be and couldn’t be any other way”. It’s sad.

As such, I don’t even think this (and the many, many other camera issues) are even on any of ArenaNet’s lists of stuff to fix – certainly not priority. In the mean time, we get showered with new content, promises of more content and other fixes … and yet, these issues, dating from pre-beta, (that’s right … it’s been there even before BWE!) still remains completely unattended.

Here’s another 2 month old thread I made regarding the vertical camera offset (or pivot height) and how the lowness of the camera’s centre point in general, greatly affects races like asura (and even humans and sylvari): -> LINK

For once, I would just like to tilt the camera UP and not have it colliding with the ground making it zoom in, and giving you the POV of a mini-pet. Do we really need another 1200+ reddit upvote “petition” (like the FOV post during one of the AMAA’s:)?

Please, dear ArenaNet devs … please give these issues some love. Please.

Posted by: Sane.1356

Sane.1356

Just started playing gw2, and whilst the camera is better than a lot of other mmos i’ve tried, having played wow it just isn’t on that level. This seems like one of the main issues stopping gw2 becoming an esport.

I dont even mind the FoV issues personally; it’s just the sluggishness of camera movement and collisions in small areas.

Posted by: Noorbi.7105

Noorbi.7105

I have some problems with my new mouse.
If i use the right botton and i try to turn, i have a terrible lag.
With the older mouse it’s still good, but with the new one it’s uncontrollable.
The mouse can do 3200dpi, but i set it to 800(at the beggining).
Any help?

(edited by Noorbi.7105)

Posted by: daremo.6258

daremo.6258

Is this still being looked into?

I really want to play this game, but this sluggishness involving the mouse infuriates me to the point of craving to play other games that don’t suffer from this issue. Even scrolling the chat box is affected by this (presumably artificial) smoothing.

I call this kind of smoothing “Apple syndrome”, as their users seem to enjoy this sort of stuff. Gamers don’t, however, and it wouldn’t surprise me if many seasoned gamers have left this game purely due to this issue.

Makovorn.1706

Happy birthday Guild Wars 2 … and in another 6 days, happy birthday to this thread as well.

In the 12 months since release, we’ve seen one very positive change to the in-game camera, as a result of unyielding community feedback about the field-of-view. It wasn’t a massive change, but it was a step in the right direction. (During beta, we also saw the zoom factor increased, much to the delight of players.)

At this point in time, it would be very nice to know what ArenaNet’s plans are with the bouncy camera collision issues. I don’t think we’ve actually ever heard anything concrete from a developer about this. Is this something that’s actually on some list of improvements?

How about options to increase the vertical offset of the camera (similar to the horizontal offset we have) to improve forwards & upwards visibility? Perhaps give us a way to align the center-point of the camera with our characters heads, and not the chest?

Anyhow, there’s plenty of player feedback in this thread. At some point, it would be amazing to get some word from someone on the team, if only to reassure us. Since they’re players like us, surely they must feel our frustration when doing things like jumping puzzles?

Posted by: MysticHLE.7160

MysticHLE.7160

Posted about this twice already…go no response whatsoever. It really is frustrating, especially for things like Queen’s Gauntlet.

Posted by: Elocin.4356

Elocin.4356

Hi there,
total newbie to the game here, but not a newbie gamer.

I have issues with the camera, but not the slow motion or whichever.
My camera is not turning at all (Edit: Restarting the game – it now at least turns via keyboard again, but still no movement whatsoever with the mouse). Neither with the mouse buttons (left or right), nor different settings via the options.

It doesn’t even turn when I move with the keyboard. I literally have to go to the map, move myself into a different direction and then go back into the game to see where the hell I’m going.

Pretty annoying.

So, either I’m a total kitten (which might well be the case), or I have a glitch and maybe one of you fine souls can lead me the right way?

Thank you :-)

(edited by Elocin.4356)

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

90% of some of the jumping puzzles I find myself fighting the camera, not the jumps. Sometimes you get into a spot where seeing anything but a wall, or the floor requires you to move around to unstick the camera so badly that you fall off the ledge, which can be fatal. Thank you for this detailed post about the problems.

Yes. Two of my friends do not like jumping puzzles just because of the camera problems that they often more have to fight the camera than the jumps.

Greetings.

P.S. Yes I know, it is a one year old thread. but maybe sometime someone will be working on improving the camera.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

90% of some of the jumping puzzles I find myself fighting the camera, not the jumps. Sometimes you get into a spot where seeing anything but a wall, or the floor requires you to move around to unstick the camera so badly that you fall off the ledge, which can be fatal. Thank you for this detailed post about the problems.

Yes. Two of my friends do not like jumping puzzles just because of the camera problems that they often more have to fight the camera than the jumps.

Greetings.

P.S. Yes I know, it is a one year old thread. but maybe sometime someone will be working on improving the camera.

You may be interested in this recent discussion regarding the camera controls and suggestions for improvement. A developer is active in the discussion.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |