Camera motion and target selection w/ 1 click

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Problem:
A quick combination of mouse down, then mouse motion (to move the camera), then mouse up can cause a loss of target, or alternate target selection. Both primary (left) and secondary (right) mouse buttons cause this to happen. Refer to the following for a demonstration of what causes the problem and what does not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM8-VJLbbqY

Desired effect:
Camera rotation (motion after a click) and target selection are mutually exclusive.

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

This has been reported probably hundreds of times for months.
Alas, in a thread fairly recently, Anet said it is low priority.
/sigh

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It should be a high priority, this is the core game play.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

This is high priority for me. It directly interferes with combat on a very intrusive level, and is seen incredibly commonly. Number one combat mechanic problem for me. Please take this seriously.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: AeroJavi.1687

AeroJavi.1687

They won’t. Unless they can introduce a premium camera/selection mode in gemstore and make you pay for it, that is.
This was broken even further a couple of months ago, with a patch they released, and it has been like this ever since. And it will be. Must be fairly complicated to fix, and since it’s not profittable, it’s not worth the resources. Deal with it.

Faux Play.6104

You should not be able to change a target and rotate your camera with a single click. This is a problem with a core game mechanic. Retaining players is key to making money at the gem store. More people actively playing means more people buying mini-pets, clothing skins etc.

Posted by: Beta Sprite.4169

Beta Sprite.4169

I’ve been having this issue more and more as I started playing a mesmer (over my previous playing of a warrior). With the mesmer, I might adjust my camera a little bit, suddenly be targeting one of my clones, and then be unable to use an illusion skill due to not targeting an enemy. The targeting really needs to NOT change on right-click, or have an option to not use right-click targeting of allies/enemies.

~Beta

Posted by: Talenna.4052

Talenna.4052

I use the mouse for movement and I also swing the camera around a lot. Many times, I’ve inadvertently pulled a mob and ended up overwhelmed and dead. It is now getting frustrating, most of all because I can’t rebind a key to solve the issue.

I’d like to add my support to the OP’s request.

Posted by: Syncourt.5906

Syncourt.5906

Anything that can help to fix the horribly annoying targetting issues in this game have my full support. As my biggest gripe, I really wish Arenanet felt the same.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Nice to see it on video in a repeatable fashion.

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

I agree the targeting setup in this game is a mess.

Posted by: The Eternal Grace.3157

The Eternal Grace.3157

Arenanet has their priorities so messed up it isn’t even funny.

Posted by: AeroJavi.1687

AeroJavi.1687

Not funny, but profittable :P

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Oops, I forgot about your PM. You asked for any information, so I’ll include everything I can think of.

Anet said it’s working as intended, right? But someone said that left click and right click have different functions?
I don’t see the difference. I know that holding the left mouse button moves the camera without changing your direction, and the right mouse button moves the camera as well as your direction. But I don’t see a difference for the clicks themselves. They both target, and they both target everything. Oh, right mouse click doesn’t de-select, I guess.

• Could you test if accidental clicks happen more often if the mouse pointer is close to (or on) the edge of the screen? Test with an object with it’s model split by the edge of the screen (half of his body in your screen, half of it off screen).

But I don’t think this would happen because of a bug, only because with the mouse there, I tend to do a very quick camera move (I have the rotation speed at about 55% on the slider)
But it’s not such a quick move that the game would mistake it for a click. A click is… instant button release? With the mouse at the edge of the screen, I still hold it for a second, sometimes a little less.

• Could you test if it happens more often if you click the object’s name rather than the object itself?

Just a feeling… but maybe just a silly feeling :-)

This is kind of off-topic, but I just noticed that if you have something targeted (that has a health bar), you can’t target something else, drag the camera (either button), or deselect target anywhere from below the nameplate to the top of the screen.

I imagine this is a bug, because other interface elements that have transparency don’t block mouse input (daily achievements, menu buttons at top right).

I wonder if this influences me moving the mouse to the right edge of the screen. In games, I prefer to aim the camera at the ground, and as an engineer I do a lot of ground targeting. With the enemy in front of me, my cursor would normally anywhere around the transparent space where the big nameplate is. Since it blocks mouse input, I wonder if this unconsciously makes me place the cursor on the right edge of the screen whereas if it worked, I would keep the mouse button around the nameplate.

I click an NPC (green bar) then test with an enemy (red bar), it’s much easier for me to tell when it triggered a click (color changes).

I always use the right button to turn the direction I’m running in, or to strafe. I disabled turning on my keybord (A&D defaults). We already have a keyboard option to target the closet enemy and the closest ally, and if you keep tapping it, it will tab through them. So it would be nice if we could disable mouse targeting and avoid this whole deal entirely.

We could use an option such as:

• Target selection: [ Left button | Right button | Swap left and right (targeting style) | None ]

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

Posted by: The Warder.6352

The Warder.6352

I truly believe the mouse camera & targeting is working as Anet intended. Would you all that are experiencing any problems with the mouse/targeting please post your mouse make and driver. I am unable to replicate the problem as posted by Faux Play. Anet intended the left mouse button to select a target as one action but not attack (as if to setup in advance) a new target to go with a new skill attack chain. You must click a skill key to change the avatar focus and to attack the new, selected (the one selected with left mouse button) target. The right mouse button selects AND changes the avatar focus so the next skill used in the attack chain will attack the new, selected (the one selected with the right mouse button) target. This makes it easier (in my opinion, I know others will disagree) to change your attack chains on targets on the fly. I believe this is what Anet intended. What Faux Play posted seems to be a glitch and obviously not intended by Anet but more likely due to a mouse driver issue with the game.

lorazcyk.8927

I can’t reproduce it either if I’m trying, the annoying thing is it happens out of nowhere.
For example with the elemenalist pvp npc I tried to “accidentally” target it for about 5 minutes. I never could. Then I gave up and moved the camera to go somewhere else, and then, it clicked the elementalist!

Don’t think it’s mouse brand, happens with logitech m100, logitech m510, cheap dell mouse, laptop trackpad (buttons), even with a console controller with xpadder. They use different kinds of drivers.

It also happened with generic windows drivers, it was only a couple days ago that I installed logitech drivers.

I don’t see what mouse brand/drivers could have anything to do with this. If there’s other games with right click camera control, all someone has to do is go test it there (assuming right click also targets there)

As to the difference in mouse button targeting, if it’s as you say shouldn’t it also de-select with right mouse button when you click or double click blank space? (cancel attack)

Also, if you were right, then the option “Double click to attack/interact” option is useless, since as you say Anet meant for us to use right click for that… either that, or Double Click to Attack was meant to disable right click targeting if the user enables it. That’d be nice, wouldn’t it? Why have two buttons that do the same thing.

That way those who use it for switching targets can keep their option, and don’t lose any functionality, but those of us who would rather not accidentally switch targets could disable the option and our minds could become sane again :-D

It’s not user friendly to assign two conflicting consequences to the same button. Imagine if randomly, 15% of the time you hit Space, it actually triggered as a Backspace. That’d be annoying, uh? Bet you’d feel like blowing your brains out.
If something so important to combat such as camera movement causes you to lose your target, that’s not good.

lorazcyk.8927

You know, if I could set the right-click targeting behavior to the left-click, I would be in paradise. That way I wouldn’t have to double left click, and the right button to control the camera would no longer be maddening. Win-win.

It also bugs me that I can’t target anything with the mouse when I push the key for “Look behind”. Not being able to “target nearest target” or “select next target” when they’re behind you or offscreen just makes me problem even worse :-Z It means I waste time having to re-acquire my target. It takes too long!

For those who don’t have the mis-targeting problem, how do you fight? And do you turn your character with the keyboard, or the mouse?

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Anet said it’s working as intended, right? But someone said that left click and right click have different functions?
I don’t see the difference. I know that holding the left mouse button moves the camera without changing your direction, and the right mouse button moves the camera as well as your direction. But I don’t see a difference for the clicks themselves. They both target, and they both target everything. Oh, right mouse click doesn’t de-select, I guess.

Left click selects only, while right click selects and trigger whatever you have set as autoattack. Right click is hard coded to be the “interact” click, a single click to both select something and trigger whatever “F” action it has.

lorazcyk.8927

Right, we’ve been there already. It acts like double click to interact. So the option to double click to interact is useless as right click already does that. Since it’s useless, a better option might be “swap left click and right click targeting type” and no one loses anything while those of us who are tired of having our targets change won’t have much of a problem anymore. It might still select something but atleast it won’t attack another target (right?)

Faux Play.6104

Another difference between left and right click is if you right click something that isn’t a target (eg the grass) it dosen’t clear your current target. However if you do that with a left click it will clear your target. Both this and the difference between left click auto attack and right click auto attack were pointed out in the youtube video…if the comentary didn’t put you to sleep xD.

(edited by Faux Play.6104)

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

lorazcyk.8927

Yep, posted there already, do did OP

O kitten pecifically trying to find out if there’s a bug

edit
wow, major kitten… wth

“The Op is trying to find out if his is a bug” is what I meant

lorazcyk.8927

Another difference between left and right click is if you right click something that isn’t a target (eg the grass) it dosen’t clear your current target. However if you do that with a left click it will clear your target. Both this and the difference between left click auto attack and right click auto attack were pointed out in the youtube video…if the comentary didn’t put you to sleep xD.

Hehe, didn’t put me to sleep, I just have a hard time understanding accents and deep voices, so I couldn’t understand most of the video.

Faux Play.6104

It is repeatable on both my desktop Win 7 and lap top Vista. Both machines have up to date windows mouse drivers. I have both a Microsoft and a Logitech mouse. All combinations have the same issue. Both systems are the 64-bit version.

I have no issue with how the left and right targeting buttons work. Other than if you try to rotate the camera quickly, you can do both a camera rotation and a targeting function with one click. I tried to highlight what cause the issue as well as what does not cause the issue in the linked video.

I truly believe the mouse camera & targeting is working as Anet intended. Would you all that are experiencing any problems with the mouse/targeting please post your mouse make and driver. I am unable to replicate the problem as posted by Faux Play. Anet intended the left mouse button to select a target as one action but not attack (as if to setup in advance) a new target to go with a new skill attack chain. You must click a skill key to change the avatar focus and to attack the new, selected (the one selected with left mouse button) target. The right mouse button selects AND changes the avatar focus so the next skill used in the attack chain will attack the new, selected (the one selected with the right mouse button) target. This makes it easier (in my opinion, I know others will disagree) to change your attack chains on targets on the fly. I believe this is what Anet intended. What Faux Play posted seems to be a glitch and obviously not intended by Anet but more likely due to a mouse driver issue with the game.

(edited by Faux Play.6104)

Faux Play.6104

I was going to fix the auto closed captioning, but it was so kitten funny I left it that way.

Hehe, didn’t put me to sleep, I just have a hard time understanding accents and deep voices, so I couldn’t understand most of the video.

Faux Play.6104

Unfortunately this was not fixed with the patch. While you can disable right click target all together you lose the ability to target and auto attack with one click. Also, the issue is still present with the left mouse button.