Camera moves when you are dead...

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: windyweather.1238

windyweather.1238

It is very annoying, IMHO a bug, that the camera points to the ground when you are dead.
Playing alone PVE, it’s no big deal. You don’t stay dead long enough for it to be an issue.
Playing in a dungeon with a group dying does not mean that you bug out instantly. You probably wait for someone to revive you, or you decide to respawn with the rest, or you give the rest of the group help via chat while you are dead, or listen to their advice while you are dead.
Camera continually moving DOWN away from the others in the group is REALLY ANNOYING!!!
Please just leave the camera alone when I die.
Like I said, IMHO, this is a bug.
Thanks for listening.
ww

Posted by: jway.8293

jway.8293

Agreed. please just leave the camera not moving when the character is dead. I know it’s probably more for aesthetic reason that camera moves but no thanks I don’t like it either.

Also how the camera abruptly / instantly zooms in and out when the camera is being blocked by, say, a tree / building / roof. it’s especially disorienting when doing PvE ( jumping puzzle or vistas) ’cause you could suddenly lose your sense of direction and space – please at least provide a slider in General Options that sets the camera zooming-smoothness, rather than the instant zoom in/out like what we have now.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The camera did this at launch but was changed some time ago, due to many players complaining about how annoying it was to have to keep moving the camera. However, it seems to have been reverted with the September Feature Pack, either accidentally (most likely) or on purpose.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

That is annoying but not game breaking for me. One thing I REALLY do dislike, is the camera spin on rez and the unreliable dodging caused by it. I vote to fix both.

Posted by: Branden Gee.2150

Branden Gee.2150

PvP Gameplay Programmer

This is a known issue. Thank you for making sure that we are aware of it though!

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

This is a known issue. Thank you for making sure that we are aware of it though!

Hi, Branden. Thanks for the polite and courteous acknowledgement here in this thread. Little showings of communication like this are huge, at least to me, and it is appreciated very much.

Would you happen to be able to also comment on the other camera issue experienced when entering the downed-state, please?

The camera had zoomed in completely upon entering downed state early on in the game, though it had gotten removed so it would no longer zoom in all the way upon entering the downed state after a lot of requests for it to not zoom in any longer.

Unfortunately, earlier this year it was re-enabled again and is a source of much frustration and the pleas for it to be disabled again have been voiced all year.

Was the return of the previously disabled camera zooming in upon entering the downed-state an intended re-enabling earlier this year, or a bug that snuck by?

Can we expect a re-disabling of this zooming in at some point in the future, perhaps at the same time as when the dead-state camera rotation change gets re-adjusted? Or is it not something that is considered a bug and we should accept it as working as intended as there are no plans to re-disable it?

Any thoughts you can offer on this related camera issue topic would also be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

Since this camera movement was brought back, Arenanet seems to find it important that the camera in fact spins around you if you are dead. Probably a design decision for aesthetic reasons.

I propose that if it is that important, the camera still starts to spin if the character is dead. But it should stop spinning and not restart spinning, once the player moves the camera himself and actively. This way both parties are satisfied: the aesthic aspect after you drop dead, and the player’s wish of a fixed camera to watch the rest of the fight without constantly readjusting the camera.
There is a timer that restarts spinning after a few seconds. Set this timer to 5 minutes, and all is fine.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

I propose that if it is that important, the camera still starts to spin if the character is dead. But it should stop spinning and not restart spinning, once the player moves the camera himself and actively.

In fact, it was the behavior before September Feature Pack. The camera would start spinning slowly so soon you are defeated, but a single click anywhere or rotating it yourself would make it stop spinning and wouldn’t go back spinning again.

About the camera zooming in when downed, I think it makes sense having it that way. In downed state your skills are limited and then your field of view would be shortened. In downed state you would worry about those on your throat instead those steps away from you (if you get what I mean). But also, I wouldn’t be against changing it to zoom out freely and such.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I was really hoping to see “Automatic camera rotation while defeated will no longer restart after the camera is moved.” in the patch notes today….hopefully next patch.

It was fixed on March 26th, 2013, maybe there’s something with that patch that can help point towards fixing this. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-March-26-2013

Thanks Branden for letting us know that it’s being looked at. fingers crossed for a fix soon

khani.4786

Any possible idea when this might be fixed? It is really annoying in dungeons.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Any possible idea when this might be fixed? It is really annoying everywhere.

Fixed.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

shadow.6174

Any possible idea when this might be fixed? It is really annoying everywhere.

Fixed.

LOL

khani.4786

Is there any update on pinning down the camera (and a fix)? I do hope it is in a patch tomorrow. I’ve taken to just going to my map screen to avoid the camera altogether, and that sucks because I’d rather watch others fight on the occasions that I go down.

Please someone come in and say you’re at least still working on it or something. >.<

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

Please prioritize this, it is actually making me queasy in dungeons.

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court

shadow.6174

Well, let’s give credit to what’s due. I have just verified this issue was fixed. No idea when though.

khani.4786

Yep, they fixed this a couple patches ago. It has made me VERY happy. Thank you!