Chaos gloves dye channel not working

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Tristeza.2514

Tristeza.2514

Before I start, I’m going to say that I can see everyone else’s dyed chaos gloves on my computer… just not mine. Other computers have no problem showing the dye, and my friends can see it fine, and I can see the dyes on my friend’s chaos gloves, but I just bought the gloves myself a few minutes ago, and for whatever reason, I can’t see the glow from my own gloves. Fairly frustrating, since I want them to be red to match the character.

I have tried messing with all of the graphics settings and checking and unchecking just about every box but nothing helped.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Tristeza.2514

Update:
No dyed chaos gloves are showing on my computer at all anymore. All are just white. I logged in on a computer with lower specs than my current laptop and had no issue, so I’m not sure it’s my computer. I’m running a 2.5 yr old toshiba satellite s55t-a5360 and have had no similar issues until recently.

Tristeza.2514

Now in HoT I just saw chaos gloves that were nice and pink… mine were still white…

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

As you can see dyed chaos gloves on others, and others can see your dyed chaos gloves, but you cannot see your own gloves dyed, that does rule out a whole lot of possible causes so there doesn’t seem to be very many possible causes left.

Can you try to:

• Use the Dye Remover tool on all slots of the gloves and apply the changes
  • Close the Hero panel
  • Open the hero Panel back up and re-dye the slots to your liking
  • Apply the changes and see if you are able to see your own gloves dyed properly
  • If they do not appear dyed to you, try to toggle your gloves off and then on, or unequip>re-equip to see if that makes any difference
| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Tristeza.2514

I tried all of your suggestions to no avail
Such a weird problem to have…

Tristeza.2514

Screencaps to help illustrate problem.

First is what it looks like on my screen, you can see that it’s dyed red but I still see white.

Second is a friend’s computer. Shows up a lovely red there that I can’t see at all.

Attachments:

StinVec.3621

That is interesting. My guess would be that it may be a damaged or corrupted game file causing it to not dye on your screen. This could be why you are able to see others’ dyed gloves, and not your own – the rendering of your character and other characters are different, so something with your character rendering may be damaged.

If you have not done it yet, you might want to consider running a repair cycle on your client to fix this if it is related to a damaged or corrupted game file causing it. You can do this with the “-repair” command line argument.

If you need a hand adding that and running a repair:

• Close your game/launcher completely
  • Right-click your game shortcut and select ‘Properties’
  • On the ‘Shortcut’ tab, the first line says “Target:”
  • Immediately after the end quotation mark in this field put a space and then add -repair
    It will look like this (but with your installation location):
    “F:\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -repair
    Or if you are using the 64-bit client: “F:\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe” -repair
  • Again, make sure there is a space between the " and -repair
  • Hit OK to save the change and close the Properties
  • Run the shortcut and it’ll repair the game files if any are damaged.
  • After the repair is finished, close the launcher, remove the -repair argument (including the space) that you added and run the game as normal to see if it’s fixed.

(It is likely that the repair will dip into the ‘not responding’ state often, but it should finish properly after a few minutes. However, I have personally had a repair take up to 15 and even 30 minutes to finish, as well as needing to close and retry the repair due to it failing the first time.)

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The above instructions are fine, except if using the 64-bit client (now the default), it’s Gw2.exe. If using the 32-bit client, it’s Gw2-32.exe

Good luck.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree with StinVec: corrupted resource within the DAT file is very likely. I believe that the game sometimes uses different ‘assets’ to display graphics for your character than it uses to display the comparable graphic for other people’s characters (which can also vary with the GPU settings set in the option panel). For example, you might be able to see the ‘lower’ res version of Chaos Gloves on other players but not the ‘higher’ res on yours.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Tristeza.2514

Ran the repair twice and opened the game, unfortunately no change

Considering uninstalling and reinstalling the game, do you guys think that would help any?

StinVec.3621

That is a surprise to me. I thought running the repair would certainly fix it as I cannot see it being related to any graphic settings, either in-game or out-of-game in your Intel settings, due to your being able to see the glow on others’ gloves.

I suppose a game reinstall could be an option, but I personally doubt that it will result in fixing the issue. You may want to first check into reinstalling/updating your graphics drivers.

I believe your laptop is running the Intel HD Graphics 4000.
If that is what your GPU is (how to find out):

Or you could run their Auto-Detect Driver Update Utility instead to get the latest driver version for your system.

I would recommend doing this before considering a game reinstallation, personally.

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Tristeza.2514

Still didn’t work

I had a friend log into my account on different computers to make sure it was nothing funny with my account, one with way higher gpu specs and one with way lower specs. Both computers showed the gloves as red.

On one hand, I really want to try to solve this issue since it’s really weird and should not be doing that, but on the other I just found out that a gaming laptop I’ve been eyeballing for a few months just got a significant price drop on amazon and now I’m considering getting that (not just over this issue: I own DA:I and without a graphics card my computer can barely run the game with every setting on the absolute lowest).

Would this just be some sort of well-hidden corrupted file somewhere at this point?

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I just wanted to let you know that I am having this issue, you are not alone. After looking for help in the forums I finally submitted a ticket to support and was told it was being looked in to (that was a few days ago). Hopefully someone at Arenanet can figure out what’s wrong so we can see our gloves dyed I haven’t been able to try looking at my gloves from another computer, however, just have been told from others that sometimes they see the color I picked, sometimes they don’t.

The thing that is weird that I noticed is that each of my characters that have the chaos gloves skin in use has a different color that they are stuck on for me. My Mesmer is white, my Revenant is purple-ish, and my Guardian was orange, it doesn’t matter what is actually in the dye channel, that’s what they show for the colors.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Lor Chri.6410

Lor Chri.6410

I am having this issue, too. My laptop is also running the Intel HD 4000 GPU.

Whenever I set the Shaders Setting in the Graphics Options to High or Medium, the Gloves and the Glow around them are completely white regardless of how I dye them.
Only if I turn the Shaders Setting to Low, they glow in the colour I used (For example: Red on my Asura in the screenshot).

The colours of other players’ gloves are also bugged on High and Medium Shaders for me. My friend’s gloves are blue but appear slightly red instead, when I set Shaders to High or Medium. Only when I set Shaders to Low, my friend’s blue gloves are displayed correctly.

First screenshot: Shaders Low, both colours (red gloves of my Asura, friend’s blue gloves) are displayed correctly
Second screenshot: Shaders High, both colours are bugged

Attachments:

Posted by: Moderator

Please remember to check the date of a thread before posting. Commenting on an out of date thread and bumping it to the top of the forums is considered necroposting and is against forum rules. This thread will now be locked. Thank you.