Character Head Turning

Character Head Turning

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: SailorMercury.6085

SailorMercury.6085

Q:

I’m not sure if this could be considered a “bug” or not, but it seems to be as I can’t find any information on it.
I took a few month break from the game, and when I came back, I noticed that my character’s head moves as if she’s trying to look behind her whenever I right click on my mouse. This is extremely irritating, as that’s how I move my camera and the entire animation just looks ridiculous. As someone who enjoys the cosmetic aspect of this game, I would really like to have this fixed somehow.
This does not happen when my weapons are “out” as if I’m in battle, but only when they are sheathed as you will see in these pictures. It also does not happen if my character is currently doing the idle animation, such as looking around on her own or moving her hair, etc. Not everyone has this issue, as I’ve asked numerous people about it, however, no one seems to know much about it either.
Here’s a few pictures of what happens whenever I right click. I do NOT have anyone targeted.
http://imgur.com/7S50Lbd
http://imgur.com/FnhWhz2

Any help with this is appreciated.
P.S: Couldn’t get textile or BBCode to work, that’s the reason for the links..

Character Head Turning

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have this ‘bug’, as well. Started a few months ago. When players first posted about it, it seemed it only affected Norn characters, but now it affects all my characters. I hope they fix it soon, as it is disconcerting.

Character Head Turning

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

A bit off topic but did you take a pic of your char yourself or was someone else? I ask because as far as I recall you aren’t able to see your own nameplate and in that pic your nameplate is visible. Just curious.

Back on topic, yeah I noticed that recently too. I can say when it started but I have noticed it a few weeks ago.

Character Head Turning

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can see your own name by either holding down ALT, or ticking the ‘Show Name Always’ option in the Options menu.

Character Head Turning

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

What you don’t like your character doubling over looking like they have a broken back? Only way to get the behavior to stop, is to click on someone so your character tracks them instead. Only your own character moves, and no one sees it. (although some npc’s follow players that way now, makes for a really… hilarious situation in one HoT story where that npc dies >.>)

Note to Anet: Dislike the feature, please give us an option to disable it at least.

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

Character Head Turning

Posted by: SailorMercury.6085

SailorMercury.6085

No, that is my character, as someone said there’s an option to turn it on or off.
@Lunacy The thing is, many people DON’T have this issue, so why do only certain people have to suffer? Would reinstalling fix this somehow?
I just don’t see how ANYONE would find this feature appealing, which begs the question of it being a part of the game in the first place. I somehow feel like it’s a bug where your character thinks you have someone targeted or something of that sort, but it’s just odd that it happens on right clicking..?

Character Head Turning

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

No one else sees your character doing this. It’s all on your own client.

Everyone I’ve talked to has had the issue, it just annoys people at different levels. You don’t see it while your character is doing an idle animation though, either, as those priorities are higher than this head tracking. Other times, especially when the camera is directly behind your character, they barely move their head forward so many people again wouldn’t really notice. What it is doing, is trying to have the character face the same way the camera is, so when you are facing your character, their head is getting possessed, trying to break the character’s neck to look directly behind where the camera is looking.

This is all behavior that would appear intended for the action camera, thing is, we aren’t using it (I despise that kitten thing and resent being forced to use it for Shooting gallery adventure. I also resent first person weapon casting without action camera being likely to shoot your own feet only. Funny how I could be more accurate in 1st person view with ranged shots before action camera was added, than I can be with action camera now. Also far better in a fps game than this action camera) For some reason, this head tracking activates on turning the camera.

It has it’s uses in Mechanima, or silly screenshots. Reinstalling something like gw2 would be nothing more than a waste of bandwidth and time. Repair wouldn’t help either. This isn’t a messed up file, this is coded in the game, whether ‘bug’ or ‘intended’. At best, deleting the local.dat file in appdata/roaming/gw2 would be the nearest thing you could delete and hope it would work, but I would not hold out any hope at all of it doing it. Even if it did, it would be temporary. BTW, that would reset your graphics settings and a few other settings. Keybinds, chat window settings, and a lot of the options on the first page of GW2 Settings are kept on the server. At one time graphics were too, and chat window wasn’t, but back on topic, I wouldn’t waste my time, and redownloading 25 gb shouldn’t be necessary even if that did somehow fix it. Anet wastes enough of my bandwidth on 75 mb downloads (total, not just what the launcher shows you) for some of their smallest patches.

Anyways, it’s a ‘bug’ or ‘feature’ Anet themselves put in, intentionally or not. I say ‘bug’ because it WAS intentionally added to the game itself, but could have not been intended to be on Live and snuck into the client like a lot of other things have. It’s possible this is a future intended ‘feature’ to have characters visibly track between each other. I really hope that isn’t the case, though, as it would increase bandwidth usage ridiculously when there are a lot of players, even if we had an option to turn it off ourselves (as the server would still be sending it, and not something would want to see).

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

Character Head Turning

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

You can see your own name by either holding down ALT, or ticking the ‘Show Name Always’ option in the Options menu.

Oh? I recall testing that option but I can’t recall seeing my own nameplate O.o Gotta check it, thanks.